PDA

View Full Version : Media Fox News is run by teenagers, Vol. CLXI

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Pretty open and shut case here. Fox News airs a four minute campaign video that they produced, twice, the equivalent of nearly $100,000 of free advertising for the Romney campaign and the GOP.

Even HotAir is creeped out by it, and Fox News bigwigs are casting blame for it. FoxNews.com has since taken the video down.

Fox News is seemingly run by teenagers, folks.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/fox-friends-obama-attack-ad-video-204537376.html

ĎFox and Friendsí airs 4-minute anti-Obama video that looks like a political attack ad
By Dylan Stableford
The Cutline Ė 20 hrs ago

"Fox & Friends" aired a nearly-four-minute video about President Barack Obama on Wednesday, drawing the ire of critics who say it looked, felt and sounded like a political attack ad.

"We decided to take a look back at the president's first term to see if it lived up to hope and change," co-host Gretchen Carlson said while introducing the video.

The video, produced by Fox News associate producer Chris White, attacks Obama's record on job creation and the unemployment rate--and includes a dramatic, "Star Wars"-esque soundtrack. It aired twice on Wednesday's show.

"The package that aired on 'Fox & Friends' was created by an associate producer and was not authorized at the senior executive level of the network," Bill Shine, executive vice president of programming at Fox News, said in a statement to Yahoo News. "This has been addressed with the show's producers."

The video "resembled propaganda films from 1930′s Europe," Baltimore Sun television critic David Zurawik wrote after the segment first aired. "And the remarkable thing was the the witless crew on the couch that serves as hosts for this show had the audacity to present it as journalism and congratulate the producer who put it together."

"I don't disagree with much, if anything, in this video presented earlier today on 'Fox & Friends,'" Ed Morrissey wrote on HotAir.com. "But does this make anyone uncomfortable at all in regard to its source?"

According to the progressive watchdog group Media Matters, the segment is the equivalent of $96,000 of free advertising for the Republican party and Mitt Romney, who clinched the 2012 GOP nomination on Tuesday.

A post on the Fox Nation site calling the piece a "must-see Fox video" was taken down, and the segment was later removed from FoxNews.com.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 11:21 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zi15OtKquD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ace Gunner
05-31-2012, 11:34 AM
there is no stopping this without force.

turn off your tv. honestly. your life will improve in several areas.

alpha_omega
05-31-2012, 11:42 AM
I was reading about this yesterday...what took you so long to post?

It was my predictshun that you would post this yesterday.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
I was reading about this yesterday...what took you so long to post?

It was my predictshun that you would post this yesterday.

Didn't run across my radar until today.

Pretty stupid stuff.

qabbaan
05-31-2012, 12:20 PM
As opposed to the 24 hour a day commercials Obama gets from the other networks?

(I know, it's not a fair comparison because nobody watches those networks, but you get the point.)

bias is only an issue when it's bias against your guy...?

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
As opposed to the 24 hour a day commercials Obama gets from the other networks?

(I know, it's not a fair comparison because nobody watches those networks, but you get the point.)

bias is only an issue when it's bias against your guy...?

Even on MSNBC, there is no equivalent to the free ad buy worth $100,000 that Fox just gave the GOP.

qabbaan
05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Even on MSNBC, there is no equivalent to the free ad buy worth $100,000 that Fox just gave the GOP.

Sure there is. Their entire broadcast day is a PR campaign for the Democrat party.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Sure there is. Their entire broadcast day is a PR campaign for the Democrat party.

Their 4-hour morning program is actually hosted by a Republican, but I'm not disagreeing that MSNBC has a hard left slant, much as the Republican Party gets free pub around the clock from Fox.

There exists a difference between a bias in news reporting and outright advocacy.

Fox dances on that line far more than most, and on frequent occasions such as this, flies way over it.

Lzen
05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Their 4-hour morning program is actually hosted by a Republican, but I'm not disagreeing that MSNBC has a hard left slant, much as the Republican Party gets free pub around the clock from Fox.

There exists a difference between a bias in news reporting and outright advocacy.

Fox dances on that line far more than most, and on frequent occasions such as this, flies way over it.

ROFL

All the major networks were advocating for Obama to get elected in 08.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
All the major networks were advocating for Obama to get elected in 08.

Yes, I was just told that. I welcome hearing it 20 more times over the course of this thread.

Defending the junk in the OP is something that rightwing blogs and Fox News themselves won't do.

If you will, you need to ask yourself exactly how far from the pack you've strayed.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes, I was just told that. I welcome hearing it 20 more times over the course of this thread.

Defending the junk in the OP is something that rightwing blogs and Fox News themselves won't do.

If you will, you need to ask yourself exactly how far from the pack you've strayed.

Pretty much. NO ONE is defending this, but I knew it would be here. We have a special group.

Lzen
05-31-2012, 02:22 PM

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say in this post. Let's put it this way. Yes, that was definitely like a political attack ad. Yes, I should feel appalled by this. And normally I would. But with the way the mainstream media has let him off the hook for many things, I have a hard time giving a crap that Fox news did this. We certainly don't have balance in the media. Most of the mainstream media feel that they're in the center when in reality they lean left.

qabbaan
05-31-2012, 02:26 PM

ROFL @ your belief that MSNBC doesn't do this.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Yes, I should feel appalled by this. And normally I would. But with the way the mainstream media has let him off the hook for many things, I have a hard time giving a crap that Fox news did this.

You understand crap like this hurts the Republican cause more than it helps.

If you want the Republican Party to get more help in the media it would help by holding your favorite channel accountable. Not defending every outrageous act that comes down the pipeline.

alpha_omega
05-31-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say in this post. Let's put it this way. Yes, that was definitely like a political attack ad. Yes, I should feel appalled by this. And normally I would. But with the way the mainstream media has let him off the hook for many things, I have a hard time giving a crap that Fox news did this. We certainly don't have balance in the media. Most of the mainstream media feel that they're in the center when in reality they lean left.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 02:44 PM
ROFL @ your belief that MSNBC doesn't do this.

They actually don't do this.

They're in the same business as Fox, but they don't cross the line an embrace political activism as stridently as Fox.

Exhibit A: Fox airs a 4 minute infomercial on behalf of the Romney campaign and gave it $100k worth of media exposure.

Dick Bull
05-31-2012, 02:57 PM
It's always been my view that if you're watching FOX news, you are already leaning far right. This doesn't help them at all. It's a circle jerk rally video for the righties, who are the only ones watching it.

JonesCrusher
05-31-2012, 03:01 PM
The ad said nothing about Romney. It is more of a recap of the president so far. Like at the end of the year when they recap all the stuff that happened that year. I felt a little nostalgic tingle up my leg while watching it.

mikey23545
05-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Only little half psycho liberals (which we have in abundance here in D.C.) are so out of touch with reality that they don't realize there are several networks running pro Hussein programming 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Several networks that have never done a bit of vetting on a candidate who has more holes in his background story than anyone who has ever held the office of POTUS in the history of this nation.

Several networks who have given a complete pass to a man who has presided over a disastrous economy.

A president who is so clumsily and transparently buying votes as the election nears without a whisper from these networks...

Sickening and frightening at the same time for the MSM of a nation to throw all their might behind one party in a clear attempt to buy them power.

Dick Bull
05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Only little half psycho liberals (which we have in abundance here in D.C.) are so out of touch with reality that they don't realize there are several networks running pro Hussein programming 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Several networks that have never done a bit of vetting on a candidate who has more holes in his background story than anyone who has ever held the office of POTUS in the history of this nation.

Several networks who have given a complete pass to a man who has presided over a disastrous economy.

Conservatives are people who think that if the media doesn't run a story based on their crazy whims that the media is slanted.

JonesCrusher
05-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Here is a nice 14 minute free Obama campaign ad
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sETaW-yeUm0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bewbies
05-31-2012, 03:25 PM
The media should be equally hostile to both parties, and should recklessly pursue the truth, no matter who it hurts or helps.

We don't get that anywhere. Until we do why does this surprise us? Why act outraged over 4 minutes and not over 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365.25 days a year?

Radar Chief
05-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Pretty much. NO ONE is defending this, but I knew it would be here. We have a special group.

What, exactly, is there to defend, the idea that this is somehow new or unique to FOX? Because it isnít.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 03:43 PM
What, exactly, is there to defend, the idea that this is somehow new or unique to FOX? Because it isnít.

The OP's point is really two-fold:

1. To highlight a grotesque misuse of news media authority.
2. To once again highlight Fox News' hilariously substandard production of news.

Radar Chief
05-31-2012, 03:47 PM
The OP's point is really two-fold:

1. To highlight a grotesque misuse of news media authority.
2. To once again highlight Fox News' hilariously substandard production of news.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014132356

Go Chiefs.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 03:49 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014132356

Go Chiefs.

You lost me.

BCD
05-31-2012, 03:53 PM
It takes a special moron to sit around and find shit on Fox News, then bitch about it.

What is the point of it?

Radar Chief
05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
You lost me.

That seems to be a common issue with you. Search your memory, Iím sure youíll figure it out.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
That seems to be a common issue with you. Search your memory, I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

I guess your argument, insofar as I can ascertain it, is either:

(a.) I got the story from Democratic Underground,

(b.) Democratic Underground is covering the story, therefore it is a manufactured issue, or

(c.) Somebody on Democratic Underground also shared on a political board something I shared on a political forum.

How close am I.

Radar Chief
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
It takes a special moron to sit around and find shit on Fox News, then bitch about it.

What is the point of it?

Iím pretty sure she didnít actually watch FOX and come up with this on her own, this was most likely spoon fed to Direckshun from some lefty site.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Iím pretty sure she didnít actually watch FOX and come up with this on her own, this was most likely spoon fed to Direckshun from some lefty site.

Google, but okay.

Radar Chief
05-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Google, but okay.

Sure.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Sure.

I don't get your angle -- I attempted to summarize it several posts ago. I'd sure appreciate it if you could clarify.

Or stop postwhoring, which is about all you've accomplished so far in this thread.

vailpass
05-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Did Direckshun off herself yet or is she still frothing night and day about all things political?

chiefzilla1501
05-31-2012, 06:59 PM

(b.) Democratic Underground is covering the story, therefore it is a manufactured issue, or

(c.) Somebody on Democratic Underground also shared on a political board something I shared on a political forum.

How close am I.

MSNBC. The Daily Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hk6xO4Hzmg
I don't believe MSNBC was paid to air 1 minute of footage of the Bain ad, while they muted a 5 second clip of an ad in Romney's defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKoxxrVpcjo
Ever watch this guy? His entire show is a rampage against Romney.

The only people who watch MSNBC and Fox News already have their minds made up. THey are either staunch supporters of their party or they hate the other party so much that they enjoy watching it for shits and giggles. I can't imagine many people's political positions changed because they saw that.

Direckshun
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
MSNBC. The Daily Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hk6xO4Hzmg
I don't believe MSNBC was paid to air 1 minute of footage of the Bain ad, while they muted a 5 second clip of an ad in Romney's defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKoxxrVpcjo
Ever watch this guy? His entire show is a rampage against Romney.

The only people who watch MSNBC and Fox News already have their minds made up. THey are either staunch supporters of their party or they hate the other party so much that they enjoy watching it for shits and giggles. I can't imagine many people's political positions changed because they saw that.

True or false:

The ad, as presented and shown in the OP and on Fox News, is different from the Sean Hannity show.

healthpellets
05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
reason #9835028345946 i'm not so sad i don't have cable. having to get my political opinions from a talking box would really put a strain on the limited amount of free time i have in the day.

chiefzilla1501
05-31-2012, 07:36 PM
True or false:

The ad, as presented and shown in the OP and on Fox News, is different from the Sean Hannity show.

I'm not sure what the question is.

I'm asking where you draw the line. The Daily Show has a gazillion negative sketches/bits about Romney that are practically attack ads. I enjoy the Conan show, and even he jabs a hell of a lot more at Romney than he has Obama (over 4 years). Almost even talk show in America had a daily 5-minute attack monologue on George W. Bush.

I don't understand where you're drawing the line, just because Fox included some flashy graphics. And I don't see how it's different from MSNBC airing a minute of a Romney attack ad, which I'm betting was not paid for as a part of their ad buy.

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 07:42 PM

I'm asking where you draw the line. The Daily Show has a gazillion negative sketches/bits about Romney that are practically attack ads. I enjoy the Conan show, and even he jabs a hell of a lot more at Romney than he has Obama (over 4 years). Almost even talk show in America had a daily 5-minute attack monologue on George W. Bush.

I don't understand where you're drawing the line, just because Fox included some flashy graphics. And I don't see how it's different from MSNBC airing a minute of a Romney attack ad, which I'm betting was not paid for as a part of their ad buy.

I suppose you draw the line when a news organization's motto is Fair and Balanced

InChiefsHell
05-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Goddam D, you need to stop. STOP!! It's better for you I promise!

JonesCrusher
05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
I suppose you draw the line when a news organization's motto is Fair and Balanced

Maybe they can change the motto to Hope and Change then they won't be held accountable for misrepresenting a product.

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Maybe they can change the motto to Hope and Change then they won't be held accountable for misrepresenting a product.

We already have that channel it is called MSNBC

Radar Chief
06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Did Direckshun off herself yet or is she still frothing night and day about all things political?

Just more copy and paste from Bizzaro-Drudge.

Direckshun
06-01-2012, 08:41 AM

I'm asking where you draw the line. The Daily Show has a gazillion negative sketches/bits about Romney that are practically attack ads.

The problem is, there's a difference between:

a. A negative story on Candidate A.

b. A political commentator, liberal or conservative, attacking Candidate A.

c. A political attack ad on Candidate A, that Candidate B could have easily made himself, promoted as an objective news report (the OP).

In my opinion, there is a difference between what Hannity does and what the OP does.

To you, apparently, there isn't? Which is why Fox News gives Hannity primetime viewing, and is backing away from this mistake? Which is why rightwing blogospheres hold Hannity as a demigod, but are similarly grossed out by the video in the OP?

There are different degrees of advocacy, some much less ethical than others.

Direckshun
06-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Just more copy and paste from Bizzaro-Drudge.

Still waiting for you to respond.

How close am I.

T-post Tom
06-01-2012, 08:47 AM

FTW

bandwagonjumper
06-01-2012, 01:49 PM

I'm not really upset about it. People who watch these kind of shows are very unlikely to vote for Obama. I'm more upset that it would cost 100 000 dollars. No wonder there have to spend one billion dollar.

Stewie
06-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Obama is fine with the $6,000,000,000+ dollar loss by JP Morgan. Those rich bankers are his buddies.

mikey23545
06-01-2012, 02:04 PM
"Fox News is run by teenagers, Vol. CLXI"

And most of the rest of the MSM is run by power-crazed, amoral liberals. What's your point?

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM
The problem is, there's a difference between:

a. A negative story on Candidate A.

b. A political commentator, liberal or conservative, attacking Candidate A.

c. A political attack ad on Candidate A, that Candidate B could have easily made himself, promoted as an objective news report (the OP).

In my opinion, there is a difference between what Hannity does and what the OP does.

To you, apparently, there isn't? Which is why Fox News gives Hannity primetime viewing, and is backing away from this mistake? Which is why rightwing blogospheres hold Hannity as a demigod, but are similarly grossed out by the video in the OP?

There are different degrees of advocacy, some much less ethical than others.

No, I don't see the difference. When the ED Show shows 1-2 minutes of footage from a Mitt Romney attack ad, which is essentially probably also how many thousands of dollars of free advertising, and they show a muted 5-10 second clip of Mitt Romney's response, I fail to see the difference.

Nor does it make a difference to me when you have Lawrence O'Donnell or Rachel Maddow going on 5-minute tirades about Romney as an etch-a-sketch candidate, etc... etc... etc...

The only difference between what Fox News and MSNBC did is fancy production and flashing lights.

Fox News is a giant advertisement for Romney. MSNBC is a giant advertisement for Obama. I fail to see how 4 minutes of produced footage stands out amongst two channels who for a full day are towing a party line.

Direckshun
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
No, I don't see the difference. When the ED Show shows 1-2 minutes of footage from a Mitt Romney attack ad, which is essentially probably also how many thousands of dollars of free advertising, and they show a muted 5-10 second clip of Mitt Romney's response, I fail to see the difference.

Nor does it make a difference to me when you have Lawrence O'Donnell or Rachel Maddow going on 5-minute tirades about Romney as an etch-a-sketch candidate, etc... etc... etc...

The only difference between what Fox News and MSNBC did is fancy production and flashing lights.

Fox News is a giant advertisement for Romney. MSNBC is a giant advertisement for Obama. I fail to see how 4 minutes of produced footage stands out amongst two channels who for a full day are towing a party line.

What, do you imagine, Fox News' own editors and rightwing outlets like HotAir.com have objected to, then?

There are fundamental differences here, and you're whitewashing them.

Stewie
06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
FOX is a media outlet!

Obama has allowed:

Goldman Sachs can naked short stocks with impunity. That is illegal to the hilt. No matter... Obama approves!

JP Morgan gets a free $6 billion$+ (quarterly) pass because they're Obama's banking buddies.

Mark to market is not allowed because it would make Obama look bad.

Those $400,000 condos in Las Vegas (2006) are still worth $400,000 no matter that the market sells them for $180,000.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2012, 03:11 PM
What, do you imagine, Fox News' own editors and rightwing outlets like HotAir.com have objected to, then?

There are fundamental differences here, and you're whitewashing them.

The only fundamental difference is that one is more blatantly inappropriate use. The others are just as inappropriate use but in the context of the rules.

You're trying to argue that we should be outraged that Fox News is offering free advertising. I don't see how Maddow or O'Donnell going on 5 minute tirades about Romney is considered any different in purpose and outcome. I don't see how professionally produced videos on Conan, Letterman, and the Daily Show which disproportionately paint Bush/Romney as blubbering idiots is any different. I fail to see how showing 2 minutes of a Romney ad during an opinion segment while muting a Romney response for 5-10 seconds isn't free advertising.

Again, Obama probably didn't pay MSNBC for that Bain attack ad to be shown on the ED show. How is that not free advertising, given that it is a professionally produced ad clearly used for the purpose of being an attack ad on Romney?

Direckshun
06-01-2012, 03:13 PM
The only fundamental difference is that one is more blatantly inappropriate use. The others are just as inappropriate use but in the context of the rules.

You're going to have to explain this further.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
You're going to have to explain this further.

Explain how the usage of the Bain ad on the ED show (above) isn't free advertising.