PDA

View Full Version : Religion Cardinal Dolan paid off molesting priests to go way

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
What a nice guy. Molest a child get money to go away and don't tell the police.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cardinal-dolan-quiet-20k-payments-pedophile-priests/story?id=16467662#.T8fHvcXFBZg

Cardinal Timothy Dolan of the archdiocese of New York is keeping quiet today after his old diocese, the archdiocese of Milwaukee, confirmed that under his leadership the church paid individual sums of $20,000 to priests accused of molesting children.

Dolan, who became a cardinal in February and serves as the head of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, is recorded discussing the payments in the minutes of financial committee meetings in 2003, documents released as the Milwaukee archdioecese goes through bankruptcy court in Wisconsin.

The archdiocese of Milwaukee confirmed to the Associated Press Wednesday that the church paid the priests money to voluntarily sign papers to leave the priesthood because it was cheaper and faster than removing them by other administrative routes, which would have included going through the Vatican.

"In 2002, the Church affirmed that priest offenders should no longer be functioning as priests in any capacity and having someone seek laicization voluntarily is faster and less expensive and it made sense to try and move these men out of the priesthood as quickly as possible," Archdiocese spokeswoman Julie Wolf told local news station WTMJ-TV.

The Milwaukee diocese did not return calls from ABC News today seeking comment.

According to Peter Isely, of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP), the payments are tantamount to "bonuses" paid out to child rapists and molestors.

"I don't know any other organization that when you're fired from your job because of a criminal act, you get paid to leave your job," Isely said. "Obviously something is profoundly wrong with this system that they say is fixed. You're paying off a child rapist; you're giving them a bonus check; it's a bonus basically."

The archdiocese contested that claim, saying the payments were used to quickly move suspected pedophiles out of the priesthood, according to the AP. Spokeswoman Julie Wolf said the payments were to help the men transition to lay life without completely losing access to needs such as health care.

Dolan declined to comment on the matter, but the archdiocese of New York told ABC News today that Dolan "has read and supports the statements that came out of Milwaukee."

Isely said that up until at least 2010, priests accused of pedophilia were still being paid the money, typically divided into two payments of $10,000 - one when they began the process of laicization, and one when they completed it.

Dolan left the Milwaukee archdiocese in 2009 to become archbishop of New York, the second largest diocese in the country, and in 2010 became the head of the conference of bishops, the most visible Catholic role in the country. Isely, of SNAP, wondered if Dolan now presided over similar arrangements in other dioceses.

"Is this a nationwide policy by U.S. bishops to pay off priests? To dump them quietly into the community, and when they do this, they don't tell people who these individuals are," Isely said.

Months after Dolan left Milwaukee, the archdiocese there filed for bankruptcy, after more than 570 alleged victims came forward claiming abuse by priests.

healthpellets
05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Dolan is a f*cking creep in person. A f*cking creep.

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Dolan is a f*cking creep in person. A f*cking creep.

Sounds like it. We don't want birth control and we are going to let our priests molest your kids and them pay them $20,000 and send them away.

I bet he has molested a lot of kids as well.

I don't understand why there isn't more outrage from Catholics on this

Brock
05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
These poor victims. The church, I mean, of course.

healthpellets
05-31-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't understand why there isn't more outrage from Catholics on this

For the same reason there isn't more outrage about this:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2n7vSPwhSU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2n7vSPwhSU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 08:22 PM
These poor victims. The church, I mean, of course.

Pretty much.

Chiefshrink
05-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh Politics and the Church.:shake: I assure this is coming from the Lib Dems and Obama since the Church decided to defend themselves and pull a Joe Arpaio and say "F You" as they should regardless if Dolan is guilty or not.

Freedom of religion is at stake here.

Brock
05-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh Politics and the Church.:shake: I assure this is coming from the Lib Dems and Obama since the Church decided to defend themselves and pull a Joe Arpaio and say "F You" as they should regardless if Dolan is guilty or not.

Looks like it's more about freedom to diddle kids.

Chiefshrink
05-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Looks like it's more about freedom to diddle kids.

Did you get "diddled" as well ?

Brock
05-31-2012, 09:30 PM

I'm not catholic.

Chiefshrink
05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm not catholic.

That doesn't matter:rolleyes:

Brock
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
That doesn't matter:rolleyes:

Then why did you ask?

healthpellets
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM

so it's "freedom of religion" when it comes to paying hush money to child molesters?

you can have all of the "freedom of religion" when you can keep your dick in your pants and pay some f*cking taxes like every other business and stop covering up crimes.

as a taxpayer that supports these tax-exempt organizations, i think we have a right to know how many of these monsters the church hustled away and out of sight.

hey, by the way, how bout we just go ahead and strip the whole tax exempt status from religious organizations while we're at it. especially the catholic church, since it appears to simply be a crime syndicate that is in business only to take semi-voluntary donations from people and use that money to cover up crimes committed by members of the organization. seems sorta like the mob.

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 09:34 PM

No you idiot it come out in a court case if you bothered to read

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 09:35 PM

Did you get diddled or are you one of the diddlers?

healthpellets
05-31-2012, 09:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ks1RD.jpg

Brock
05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Did you get diddled or are you one of the diddlers?

shrink is most definitely a diddler.

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 09:38 PM
shrink is most definitely a diddler.

His shrink shop is just a cover to lure them in

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Dolan is a class act

Dolan had described at least one payment to Franklyn Becker — who had been accused of abusing 10 minors — as “an act of charity” to help the priest “pay for health insurance.”

Chiefshrink
05-31-2012, 10:31 PM
so it's "freedom of religion" when it comes to paying hush money to child molesters?

you can have all of the "freedom of religion" when you can keep your dick in your pants and pay some f*cking taxes like every other business and stop covering up crimes.

as a taxpayer that supports these tax-exempt organizations, i think we have a right to know how many of these monsters the church hustled away and out of sight.

hey, by the way, how bout we just go ahead and strip the whole tax exempt status from religious organizations while we're at it. especially the catholic church, since it appears to simply be a crime syndicate that is in business only to take semi-voluntary donations from people and use that money to cover up crimes committed by members of the organization. seems sorta like the mob.

You are not seeing the 'whole' big picture here. You are only seeing 'half" of which is just the corrupt side that gets away with it most of the time. Of course these monsters in every corner of the occupational world whether it be Priests/Pastors, Teachers,Coaches, etc..... and the people who cover for them need to be "scorched" and removed. I totally get your point and frustration and feel the same as well but not to the point where we hand over our freedom of religion liberty. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face is all I am saying whether you are religious or not because this will be just another form of free speech that will be eventually taken away. The ol slippery slope. Understand that Marx taught that if you want to destroy a capitalistic free society you attack religion and attack the necessity of family over time and you will eventually eliminate them and have a society totally dependent on the 'state'. Europe is pretty much there. The whole big picture here is to eliminate 'religion' altogether by the Left and as Alinsky taught you go after religion and their hypocrisy at every turn exposing it to show the worthlessness of it and how it is not needed for a society.

listopencil
06-01-2012, 12:42 AM
You are not seeing the 'whole' big picture here. You are only seeing 'half" of which is just the corrupt side that gets away with it most of the time. Of course these monsters in every corner of the occupational world whether it be Priests/Pastors, Teachers,Coaches, etc..... and the people who cover for them need to be "scorched" and removed. I totally get your point and frustration and feel the same as well but not to the point where we hand over our freedom of religion liberty. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face is all I am saying whether you are religious or not because this will be just another form of free speech that will be eventually taken away. The ol slippery slope. Understand that Marx taught that if you want to destroy a capitalistic free society you attack religion and attack the necessity of family over time and you will eventually eliminate them and have a society totally dependent on the 'state'. Europe is pretty much there. The whole big picture here is to eliminate 'religion' altogether by the Left and as Alinsky taught you go after religion and their hypocrisy at every turn exposing it to show the worthlessness of it and how it is not needed for a society.

That's all "well" and "good" but have you stopped molesting children yet?

mnchiefsguy
06-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Horrible. Just horrible. Cardinal Dolan certainly failed in this particular "What would Jesus do?" moment. If he had any integrity at all, he would beg forgiveness for his sin and resign. I highly doubt that will happen though.

Chiefshrink
06-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Horrible. Just horrible. Cardinal Dolan certainly failed in this particular "What would Jesus do?" moment. If he had any integrity at all, he would beg forgiveness for his sin and resign. I highly doubt that will happen though.

:clap::clap::clap:

Count Zarth
06-01-2012, 08:40 AM
cathlolics

Chiefshrink
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
That's all "well" and "good" but have you stopped molesting children yet?

Hey Lesbian Strap-on Pencil-dick ! Your attempt here is sooooooo 'inept' but it is who you are at this point in life.:rolleyes: Here, let me take your actual question and go a little deeper with it since your mind and emotions are stunted or has been arrested at the juvenile level.

How does eliminating religion totally stop pedophiles? It doesn't. Sin goes on everywhere whether it is in the confessional with a priest, after school alone with the teacher, in the shower with a coach, etc.......

The problem is not religion in and of itself. It is the corruption of power and $$ in the church that neuters religion to rid itself of its sin within the church. Again why cut your nose off to spite your face, unless of course you are a Marxist ??

Detoxing
06-01-2012, 09:27 AM
For the same reason there isn't more outrage about this:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2n7vSPwhSU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2n7vSPwhSU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

This dude is in the closet.

RNR
06-01-2012, 09:47 AM
This dude is in the closet.
But he say he agin it. He did say after he fencedum good heed feedem. He also said he would separate lesbians and homosexuals LMAO

listopencil
06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Hey Lesbian Strap-on Pencil-dick ! Your attempt here is sooooooo 'inept' but it is who are at this point in life.:rolleyes: Here, let me take your actual question and go a little deeper with it since your mind and emotions are stunted or has been arrested at the juvenile level.

How does eliminating religion totally stop pedophiles? It doesn't. Sin goes on everywhere whether it is in the confessional with a priest, after school alone with the teacher, in the shower with a coach, etc.......

The problem is not religion in and of itself. It is the corruption of power and $$ in the church that neuters religion to rid itself of its sin within the church. Again why cut your nose off to spite your face, unless of course you are a Marxist ??

What's up Sport-With-My-Sphincter? Taking time away from one of your heroic Marxist hunting expeditions to post on Chiefs Planet I see. :rolleyes: Is it hard to type while clutching your crucifix or do you shove it up your ass when you log on? :spock:

Iowanian
06-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I am a Catholic, and It wouldn't bother me if these convicted molesters and those who covered for them were executed in public....along with all other child molesters.

Count Zarth
06-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I am a Catholic, and It wouldn't bother me if these convicted molesters and those who covered for them were executed in public....along with all other child molesters.

Unfortunately the leaders of your "religion" don't care about your opinion. How does that make you feel?

Dave Lane
06-02-2012, 09:30 PM

The part that is disgusting is not only do they just walk away from it, they get paid. I mean WTF!?!?!?

If you or I did it they would put us in prison for life and confiscate all our possessions to pay to the victims. And it would be the right thing to do.

J Diddy
06-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey Lesbian Strap-on Pencil-dick ! Your attempt here is sooooooo 'inept' but it is who are at this point in life.:rolleyes: Here, let me take your actual question and go a little deeper with it since your mind and emotions are stunted or has been arrested at the juvenile level.

I agree with everything you said except the last part. I do agree that the problem isn't religion in and of itself, but rather the rigid rules placed on men. The issue is one born of sexual repression and power. Two things the catholic church demand from their leaders. There needs to be checks in place, independent consultants, etc.

Until they realize that the people that they put in charge are just human, then there's always going to be the problems.

patteeu
06-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Guilty priests were forced out of the priesthood. The people complaining about that in this thread either didn't understand the article or they prefer bigotry over reason.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 09:46 AM
I agree with everything you said except the last part. I do agree that the problem isn't religion in and of itself, but rather the rigid rules placed on men. The issue is one born of sexual repression and power. Two things the catholic church demand from their leaders. There needs to be checks in place, independent consultants, etc.

Until they realize that the people that they put in charge are just human, then there's always going to be the problems.

Has nothing to do with sexual repression. Pedophiles enter professions where they can get into a position of trust with children. It's no wonder that this stuff happens in other denominations, but which we get little press, but also school teachers. The latter were married and some of those teachers were hardly sexually repressed. Most pedophiles are married and commit the crime in families. Should we condemn the family now? Saying it's sexual repression is relying on cliches.

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Guilty priests were forced out of the priesthood. The people complaining about that in this thread either didn't understand the article or they prefer bigotry over reason.

They weren't forced they were paid off when they should have been turned over to the police.

Dolan is a POS and I hope he gets what is coming to him.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 09:54 AM
They weren't forced they were paid off when they should have been turned over to the police.

It was no different than severance pay. I agree turning them in would be better but how long can they last on that money?

RNR
06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
It was no different than severance pay. I agree turning them in would be better but how long can they last on that money?

There should have been no severance pay for someone being fired for committing child rape on the job~

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 09:58 AM

It is awesome the Catholic Church is rewarding child molesters.

HonestChieffan
06-03-2012, 09:59 AM

So you have a real thing for the man. Are you catholic? Seems odd the Church would be as positive on him as they are and you are so polar opposite?

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:02 AM
It is awesome the Catholic Church is rewarding child molesters.

You can look at it any way you want. I didn't say it was "awesome" though. At least they're not there harming kids anymore, is how I look at it. The first and most important thing. Pedophilia is a sickness.

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 10:04 AM
So you have a real thing for the man. Are you catholic? Seems odd the Church would be as positive on him as they are and you are so polar opposite?

I am sure my thing for Dolan is less than your thing with Obama.

Of course the Church leadership likes him he supports their view of molesting children and then sending them away with cash.

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 10:05 AM
You can look at it any way you want. I didn't say it was "awesome" though. At least they're not there harming kids anymore, is how I look at it. The first and most important thing. Pedophilia is a sickness.

Are they in jail? Ummm no. So they are probably screwing kids as we speak.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Are they in jail? Ummm no. So they are probably screwing kids as we speak.

Only if they work with kids. You think they're gonna apply for a job working with kids, when they'd have to supply references which go back to who fired them? You think having a resume saying they were a RC priest who is no longer in the RCC is going to get them hired to work with kids—or anyone for that matter. Seriously? Again, I said it would have been better if they went to jail. Actually, I think they should be in a special kind of jail. Then on release, limit to them to their own community instead of getting out into regular society again.

HonestChieffan
06-03-2012, 10:11 AM
I am sure my thing for Dolan is less than your thing with Obama.

Of course the Church leadership likes him he supports their view of molesting children and then sending them away with cash.

You seriously believe that or is this a post for effect?

There has always been anti-church sentiment among non church goers and a long time anti Catholic feeling that we somewhat broken by JFK. Is your position based on some long therm distrust of the Catholic Church?

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Only if they work with kids. You think they're gonna apply for a job working with kids, when they'd have to supply references which go back to who fired them? You think having a resume saying they were a RC priest who is no longer in the RCC is going to get them hired to work with kids—or anyone for that matter. Seriously? Again, I said it would have been better if they went to jail. Actually, I think they should be in a special kind of jail. Then on release limits to them to their own community instead of getting out into regular society again.

No one knows who the majority of these priests are this was all done in secrecy. It is only coming to light now because of the court case.

They should be in jail or dead either way is fine by me and Dolan should join them.

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 10:20 AM
You seriously believe that or is this a post for effect?

There has always been anti-church sentiment among non church goers and a long time anti Catholic feeling that we somewhat broken by JFK. Is your position based on some long therm distrust of the Catholic Church?

I don't hate Catholics I hate their leadership that has sanctioned this kind of behavior and tried to hide these priests and not turn them over to police, this includes the last 2 popes.

VATICAN - Pope John Paul II will be beatified (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12222612) on May 1, after Vatican officials judged that the deceased pontiff’s ability to make child molestation and sexual abuse charges seem like no big deal was officially a miracle.

“You’d think people would care that the Pope knew full well that Catholic priests who were molesting kids were protected,” said Vatican spokesman Father Oliver O’Grady. (http://www.suite101.com/content/deliver-us-from-evil-sexual-abuse-in-the-church-a161996)“Turns out, no one seems to care. It’s a miracle!”

Many credit both John Paul II and current Pope Benedict XVI (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/world/europe/25vatican.html) with helping to turn things around for the Catholic Church, which had faced a public relations nightmare after thousands of people had come forward claiming Catholic priests had molested them as children. The two pontiffs worked overtime to squash and cover up many of these claims (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12222612), as well as to make pedophilia seem akin to a speeding ticket.

“Take it from me, I would have thought that molesting hundreds of vulnerable children would be a big problem, both for me and the Catholic church,” said Cardinal Roger Mahony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Mahony#Sexual_abuse_cases). “Turns out, not so much.”

Those seeking sainthood for John Paul II have mounted a hard campaign to enhance the former Pope’s reputation. The final blow came recently, when they convinced Catholic followers that pedophilia was the in thing in the 1970s (http://thesop.org/story/20101224/the-popes-reprehensible-comments-about-child-porn-and-pedophilia.html).

“Everyone was doing it, man,” said O’Grady (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_O%27Grady). “It was the scene.”

Once beatified, John Paul II will become known as the Patron Saint of Pedophiles. He will be the first new saint since he himself beatified Saint Mother Teresa (http://www.gospelaccordingtohate.com/2010/04/pope-john-paul-ii-blocked-investigation.html), who is now the Patron Saint of Condoms Will Give You AIDS (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Portland-Cyclist/vatican-condoms-for-hiv-p_n_787629_68516790.html).

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:21 AM
No one knows who the majority of these priests are this was all done in secrecy. It is only coming to light now because of the court case.
That it's a "majority" of priests is a lie. Based on actual cases it's 2% of cases. It's thought to be 4% to account for any non-reporting. It's just that the few have done it to so many kids over a long period of time that makes it seem like it's a majority. But even 4% is still no where near a majority. You're prejudice is clouding your judgement.

They should be in jail or dead either way is fine by me and Dolan should join them.
I already agreed with them being in jail. So I don't know why you continue argue this point with me.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't hate Catholics I hate their leadership that has sanctioned this kind of behavior and tried to hide these priests and not turn them over to police, this includes the last 2 popes.

I'd like to see the link so I can judge the source for that hate speech piece.

Pope John Paul didn't believe the charges because those types of charges were made by communists falsely in the past. Okay, he err'd in his judgement.

There are parishioners in the RCC that do know that their church has been infiltrated. One in four priests are gay today and there are many Marxists nuns and priests too.

HonestChieffan
06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Wow Dirk. Can you find any more Kooky references? Mother Theresa too?

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:27 AM

No, the court cases show it was 2% exactly based on all court cases and reports from children who are now adults. And that is the same percent of occurrence in other denominations surprisingly.

The punishment is supposed to suit the crime. They didn't kill anyone. That's just being vindictive. Our founders sought to check that impulse in man which raged in Europe.

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 10:28 AM
That it's a "majority" of priests is a lie. Based on actual cases it's 2% of cases. It's thought to be 4% to account for any non-reporting. It's just that the few have done it to so many kids over a long period of time that makes it seem like it's a majority. But even 4% is still no where near a majority. You're prejudice is clouding your judgement.

I already agreed with them being in jail. So I don't know why you continue argue this point with me.

I am talking about the majority of the priests that were paid off in Dolan's old archdioceses in Milwaukee.

Dolan had described at least one payment to Franklyn Becker — who had been accused of abusing 10 minors — as “an act of charity” to help the priest “pay for health insurance.”

VAChief
06-03-2012, 10:28 AM

I did not read it as a majority of all priests...I thought he meant a majority of the offenders did not come to light. I suspect that the percentage of offenders will fairly closely approximate those outside the clergy or at least other positions with regular contact with minors. The issue for me isn't that there are pedophiles in the priesthood, but that they are seemingly protected from the same prosecution for their crimes as other professions.

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 10:32 AM
I'd like to see the link so I can judge the source for that hate speech piece.

Pope John Paul didn't believe the charges because those types of charges were made by communists falsely in the past. Okay, he err'd in his judgement.

There are parishioners in the RCC that do know that their church has been infiltrated. One in four priests are gay today and there are many Marxists nuns and priests too.

it was meant as satire but with some truth sprinkled in.

Click on the links..like this one that HCF thinks is kooky.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/popersquos-child-porn-normal-claim-sparks-outrage-among-victims-15035449.html#ixzz192TzON8n

In his traditional Christmas address yesterday to cardinals and officials working in Rome, Pope Benedict XVI also claimed that child pornography was increasingly considered `normal` by society.

`In the 1970s, paedophilia was theorised as something fully in conformity with man and even with children,` the Pope said.

`It was maintained - even within the realm of Catholic theology - that there is no such thing as evil in itself or good in itself. There is only a `better than` and a `worse than`. Nothing is good or bad in itself."

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:33 AM
I did not read it as a majority of all priests...I thought he meant a majority of the offenders did not come to light. I suspect that the percentage of offenders will fairly closely approximate those outside the clergy or at least other positions with regular contact with minors. The issue for me isn't that there are pedophiles in the priesthood, but that they are seemingly protected from the same prosecution for their crimes as other professions.

I agree with your last line. However, there is an aspect that is overlooked—it's a huge embarrassment for any institution to report these incidents publically. I think this has a lot to do with it as well as denial and shame. Plus, a desire to prevent panic with their public. This also happens in families who hide it, or are in denial and even schools that engaged in the same remedy—shuffling the offender to another school district or even firing them with pay. It's called "passing the trash." So I don't think this is ONLY a problem within the RCC. As it turns out it's not an uncommon manner of handling it.

Dave Lane
06-03-2012, 10:35 AM

So your idea of punishment for child molesters is getting fired from their job and getting a small severance package.

Wow just wow. maybe your dumbest post ever.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Seriously—a Belfast paper? An area of historical animosity between protestants and Irish Catholics. Yeah, they don't have an axe to grind. Well done!

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
So your idea of punishment for child molesters is getting fired from their job and getting a small severance package.

Wow, you're really a dumb reader or was that selective perception due to needing eye glasses or new ones?
Or is your religion-hate kicking in preventing clearer observations?

HonestChieffan
06-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Kooky was that stuff you posted about Mother Theresa.....try to stay on message here. You can't be serious so its understandable.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:40 AM
http://www.economist.com/node/1067027
The whole article is excellent and describes the dynamics of non reporting including by victims.

Sex offenders
Passing the trash
The Catholic church is not the only institution that needs to confront, and deal with, sexual crimes against children

That may be changing, in large part because the cost of covering up is rising. As cases of abuse receive more publicity, parents and victims have begun to win lawsuits against schools that either fail to sack teachers with a history of sexual abuse or ship known offenders elsewhere. Still, an awful lot of trash is being passed around.

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Seriously—a Belfast paper? An area of historical animosity between protestants and Irish Catholics. Yeah, they don't have an axe to grind. Well done!

I know it is all made up considering other news organizations reported the same thing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-202_162-7168168.html

jfc

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Kooky was that stuff you posted about Mother Theresa.....try to stay on message here. You can't be serious so its understandable.

You do know what satire means right?

HonestChieffan
06-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Wishing Dolan Dead? Satire? You have a strange view of things.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I know it is all made up considering other news organizations reported the same thing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-202_162-7168168.html

jfc

cbs? They're so leftwing I wouldn't doubt they hate the RCC and are thrilled at this coming out.
Where's their expose on other religions, schools and institutions? I don't expect to ever expose there's an issue in many institutions in our society where there are children. I know for a fact, from a former counselor, it's even happened in the Boy Scouts.

I didn't read the whole thing but Cardinal Law was promised by psychiatrists that his offenders could be treated and changed. So how was this done? These so called experts on behavior and the human mind had those offending priests read reams of pornography including child pornography in their clinic.* It was in the DC area. They came back and repeat offended. I don't think they can be changed either way. But it's not just the RCC that thinks the easy availability of porn is a contributing factor. Child porn has been on the rise too.

So, no, I don't think this is all made up, not even the cover-up. I think the RCC is getting the lions share of attacks for it though.

* It's no wonder that profession has it's own issues of seducing their own patients.

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Wishing Dolan Dead? Satire? You have a strange view of things.

No the post about mother Theresa which you asked about. You need to get things straight.

mnchiefsguy
06-03-2012, 12:23 PM
No, the court cases show it was 2% exactly based on all court cases and reports from children who are now adults. And that is the same percent of occurrence in other denominations surprisingly.

The punishment is supposed to suit the crime. They didn't kill anyone. That's just being vindictive. Our founders sought to check that impulse in man which raged in Europe.

Yeah, getting paid $20,000 and not serving any jail time for molesting children. A fine punishment that fits the crime.......maybe not so much.

WilliamTheIrish
06-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, getting paid $20,000 and not serving any jail time for molesting children. A fine punishment that fits the crime.......maybe not so much.

Give Dolan a break. He consulted Joe Paterno and this was the best course of action since the Cardinal didn't have an Athletic Director to consult.

Dave Lane
06-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Please don't try reason or logic with BEP. Its completely hopeless.

Dave Lane
06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Give Dolan a break. He consulted Joe Paterno and this was the best course of action since the Cardinal didn't have an Athletic Director to consult.

Yeah and no one got mad at Paterno or that Sandusky guy that did the molesting. They just gave him a nice severance package and he went about his life. Just like catholic priests. It wasn't even really in the news at all this Penn State thingie.

Nothing two faced or untoward at all. Just haters hating on the rcc.

WilliamTheIrish
06-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Sounds like Milwaukee was the minor leagues compared to the Boston archdiocese.

159 priests charged or accused and another 91 who would have been charged or abused but they are dead and can't answer the charges. That's out of 1,000 priests in the archdiocese through that time period. That's a safer haven for molesters than Penn St. University.Those go back 70 years. That's just mind boggling.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/2011/08/church-airs-list-priests-accused-sexual-abuse/3GspOTdeHCh7962Cx2uxSO/index.html

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 01:04 PM

Apparently, you didn't really read my post. I said jail would have been better. As for the rest, it went over your head.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah and no one got mad at Paterno or that Sandusky guy that did the molesting. They just gave him a nice severance package and he went about his life. Just like catholic priests. It wasn't even really in the news at all this Penn State thingie.

At least you're catching on...that this has been the routine handling in other institutions. You're reasoning like me now, while warnings others not too. ROFL

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Interesting story. Philadelphia is holding the first trial in the US for priests that covered up the molesting priests.

A prosecutor says a Roman Catholic church official kept to "the game plan" at the Philadelphia archdiocese, keeping pedophile priests in ministry and the public in the dark about child sexual abuse.

Finally the law is seeing that the Church's stated goal is to protect these molesters and if they have to hide them so they can molest again.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Interesting story. Philadelphia is holding the first trial in the US for priests that covered up the molesting priests.

Finally the law is seeing that the Church's stated goal is to protect these molesters and if they have to hide them so they can molest again.

So long as this is done on school districts, and any other profession, then I'll support it. If not, then this is a kangaroo court—meant only for Roman Catholic priests. It does not sound like equality under the law with a religious trial only.

Plus the timing on this is fishy, as it's when the RCC is taking the US govt to court for First Amendment violations.

Bowser
06-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I have no patience for this shit. Punish every person that did the molesting to the absolute fullest extent of the law, and then punish those that tried to sweep it under the rug with as much vigor. Burn all of them.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I have no patience for this shit. Punish every person that did the molesting to the absolute fullest extent of the law, and then punish those that tried to sweep it under the rug with as much vigor. Burn all of them.

Burn them? The way the Catholic Church and Protestants burned witches at the stake?
This shows we really do become what we once hated.

WilliamTheIrish
06-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't think he meant "burn them" as in the immolation sense. I believe he meant "burn them" as in ruin them.

Bowser
06-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Burn them? The way the Catholic Church and Protestants burned witches at the stake?
This shows we really do become what we once hated.

Did you just try to crack a joke there? Nice effort!

There is no reason, none, that these men should have been given a severence and a "fair thee well" pat on the back after they were discovered for who they were and what they had done. It's beyond comprehensible to me.

Bowser
06-03-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't think he meant "burn them" as in the immolation sense. I believe he meant "burn them" as in ruin them.

I'm pretty sure she knew that but still couldn't help herself.

VAChief
06-03-2012, 03:50 PM
So long as this is done on school districts, and any other profession, then I'll support it. If not, then this is a kangaroo court—meant only for Roman Catholic priests. It does not sound like equality under the law with a religious trial only.

Plus the timing on this is fishy, as it's when the RCC is taking the US govt to court for First Amendment violations.

Who are all these school districts you think harbor molesters and pass them on to other schools? Mandated reporting laws are pretty strict in most states. None of the educators would think twice about calling the authorities in for something like these priests were accused of doing. If there cases where that is happening those idiots are liable legally. I think you are confusing the practice of passing on piss poor teachers, regrettable but not even remotely in the same league as this disgusting behavior.

dirk digler
06-03-2012, 06:23 PM

The trial has been going on for almost 3 months and has been in the works for awhile.

patteeu
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM

They were forced out in the quickest, most efficient way possible thanks to Dolan's actions. Given that going public with the information and reporting these abuses to the police were off the table, Dolan chose the approach that best prevented these priests from continuing to use their positions to molest children short of committing a crime himself.

patteeu
06-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Every one of these molesting priests had a non-clergy victim. The victim or his/her family were free to report the offender to the police. In most cases, the families preferred not to go public.

patteeu
06-04-2012, 02:18 PM

The Catholic Church isn't in the business of punishing people for crimes. That's the job of civil authorities.

BucEyedPea
06-04-2012, 02:21 PM
The trial has been going on for almost 3 months and has been in the works for awhile.

So

patteeu
06-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Who are all these school districts you think harbor molesters and pass them on to other schools? Mandated reporting laws are pretty strict in most states. None of the educators would think twice about calling the authorities in for something like these priests were accused of doing. If there cases where that is happening those idiots are liable legally. I think you are confusing the practice of passing on piss poor teachers, regrettable but not even remotely in the same league as this disgusting behavior.

I don't know how school teachers compare to priests, but it's a mistake to compare your 2012 experiences with cases from the Catholic Church that took place decades ago. I suspect that the rate of abuse has gone down in both professions over that time and the willingness to report has gone up in both as well.

BucEyedPea
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure she knew that but still couldn't help herself.

Based on the fact, there's been posters in this and past threads on this topic calling for the death of priests...it's not often that clear.

I mean even dirk, here, would prefer more kids to be molested until there is a police arrest and a trial that proves guilt followed by a jail sentence — over the quick removal where more kids are spared. One either is for protecting kids or prefers punishment alone for the sake of punishment.

BucEyedPea
06-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Immolation sense? That would mean they burn themselves in self-punishment. I didn't mean in that sense. I meant executing them. In this case with fire....the same way the witches were executed.

VAChief
06-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't know how school teachers compare to priests, but it's a mistake to compare your 2012 experiences with cases from the Catholic Church that took place decades ago. I suspect that the rate of abuse has gone down in both professions over that time and the willingness to report has gone up in both as well.

I was responding to the notion that was put forth by BEP that currently these practices were going on in public schools.

Sannyasi
06-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Based on the fact, there's been posters in this and past threads on this topic calling for the death of priests...it's not often that clear.

I mean even dirk, here, would prefer more kids to be molested until there is a police arrest and a trial that proves guilt followed by a jail sentence — over the quick removal where more kids are spared. One either is for protecting kids or prefers punishment alone for the sake of punishment.

Your post seems to assume that a pedophile removed from the clergy will never molest a child again. Arresting and prosecuting a child molestor would be the real way to try to protect kids, but the Church was more concerned with its own image and avoiding bad publicity than it was with keeping children safe.