PDA

View Full Version : Legal Edwards acquitted 1 count, mistrial on others

banyon
05-31-2012, 05:14 PM
John Edwards: 'I did an awful, awful lot that was wrong'

By David Zucchino

May 31, 2012, 3:24 p.m.

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3726021.1338489135!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The prosecution may have failed in its attempt to convict John Edwards of campaign finance fraud, but in comments made Thursday after a judge declared a mistrial in his case, the former Democratic presidential candidate stepped forward to take responsibility for what he called his sins.

Appearing with his daughter Cate and his parents on the courthouse steps, he first thanked jurors for their time – almost nine full days of deliberations – and for the attention they gave to the evidence.

“Thank goodness we live in a country that has the kind of system that we have,” Edwards said.

The former U.S. senator and 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee had been charged with six counts of accepting illegal campaign contributions during is 2008 presidential campaign. He faced up to 30 years in prison and $1.5 million in fines if convicted and sentenced to maximum penalties.

The jury acquitted Edwards on one count and deadlocked on the five other counts against him. The judge then declared a mistrial.

After thanking the jury, Edwards' comments became personal.

“While I do not believe I did anything illegal -- or ever thought I was doing anything illegal -- I did an awful, awful lot that was wrong. And there is no one else responsible for my sins.”

“I am responsible.… It’s me, it is me and me alone.”

Edwards also looked to the future. “I don’t think God is through with me,” he said. “He still thinks there are good things I can do.”

In discussing that future, Edwards said he wanted to work with poor children – and spend time with his own kids.

“I want to dedicate my life to being the best dad I think I can be,” he said, mentioning all of his children -- including his son Wade, who died in 1972, and his daughter with videographer Rielle Hunter, Quinn.

Edwards made a point of thanking his oldest daughter, Cate, saying: “Cate has been here every single day, no matter how awful and painful a lot of the evidence was.... She never flinched.”

Edwards also had two other children with wife Elizabeth Edwards: Emma Claire and Jack. Elizabeth died of cancer in December 2010.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-john-edwards-sins-20120531,0,4311640.story

banyon
05-31-2012, 05:16 PM
When was the last time a high-profile or wealthy person/celebrity was convicted by a jury in this country of anything?

|Zach|
05-31-2012, 05:16 PM
What a mess. I could see how hard that shit would be to prove.

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 05:46 PM
What a mess. I could see how hard that shit would be to prove.

Yep.

What is more scary is he thinks, at least what I interpreted, through his statements that he is not done with political life.

HonestChieffan
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Democrat justice department, big time dem on trial. Just sayin....

Pitt Gorilla
05-31-2012, 06:15 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/008/305/its-a-conspiracy.jpg

banyon
05-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Democrat justice department, big time dem on trial. Just sayin....

Big time republican prosecutor. Running for Congress.

dirk digler
05-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Big time republican prosecutor. Running for Congress.

LMAO HCF makes Frankie look like a genius.

Chiefshrink
05-31-2012, 09:29 PM
When was the last time a high-profile or wealthy person/celebrity was convicted by a jury in this country of anything?

Precisely and what $$ can buy.:thumb:

Chiefshrink
05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Yep.

What is more scary is he thinks, at least what I interpreted, through his statements that he is not done with political life.

Hey if Marion Berry can get re-elected then anything can happen especially as our society's moral fiber continues to erode:thumb:

banyon
05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Precisely and what $$ can buy.:thumb:

It's not so much money. It's really just that any attorney who is good with enough experience and has learned all of the standard tricks can confuse most American juries enough in most cases to get these results.

Chiefshrink
05-31-2012, 10:40 PM
It's not so much money. It's really just that any attorney who is good with enough experience and has learned all of the standard tricks can confuse most American juries enough in most cases to get these results.

I should have been more thorough in my comment. How $$ can buy the best lawyers. I agree.

pr_capone
05-31-2012, 11:43 PM

Rod Blagojevich just got chucked in the can for 14 years. I would say he qualifies... just off the top of my head.

Pawnmower
05-31-2012, 11:58 PM

I don't really have a dog in the hunt, but I believe there were some real issues with the wording of the law itself...

For example the Judge instructed the jury that they could consider if the 'main reason' he funneled the money was to affect the election, he was guilty of a serious crime....However if the 'main reason' he funneled money was to help someone else besides himself, then he was not guilty....

The way the law was written makes it unclear if 'affecting the election' has to be the sole reason, the main reason or just a reason in order to be a crime.

I'm not saying a good lawyer doesn't help, but from what I understand this law has some real flaws as written...and it could be a good thing that it has been exposed.

banyon
06-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Rod Blagojevich just got chucked in the can for 14 years. I would say he qualifies... just off the top of my head.

They had audio of the guy saying "this thing is f*cking golden" and it still took 2 trials, didn't it?

RNR
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
On a side note, this is the first time meme has smiled for quite awhile~

fan4ever
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm just happy Edwards got exposed for the piece of crap he is; glad to have him out of the political arena. Couldn't give a crap if he went to some country club institution.

pr_capone
06-01-2012, 08:56 PM
They had audio of the guy saying "this thing is f*cking golden" and it still took 2 trials, didn't it?

You only asked when someone was last convicted. You didn't stipulate how long or how many tries it took to get there.

Thig Lyfe
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
This is like the OJ trial for people with great hair.

banyon
06-01-2012, 10:03 PM
You only asked when someone was last convicted. You didn't stipulate how long or how many tries it took to get there.

My point was that they were still able to confuse one jury about it, even in a relatively clearcut case.