PDA

View Full Version : Life -- Do you know of anyone who STILL doesn't own a cell-phone?

Simply Red
06-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Do you know of anyone who STILL doesn't own a cell-phone?

I do.

To say it's ridiculous, ... isn't enough.

boogblaster
06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
ive got one .. but only fo travel .....

durtyrute
06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I had one for many years and now I don't own one at all. The Mrs. has one that her dad pays for, but that's it. I'm not paying over 100 dollars a month to use the thing six times a month.

suds79
06-01-2012, 08:40 AM
I had one for many years and now I don't own one at all. The Mrs. has one, but that's it. I'm not paying over 100 dollars a month to use the thing six times a month.

Prepay my man.

Best move I ever did.

Went from paying about 50 a month (and that's super cheap) to averaging about 5-8. And I even have more options available now than I did with my old phone. :thumb:

Kyle DeLexus
06-01-2012, 08:41 AM

I do.

In this day and age if you don't have at least a prepaid phone in your vehicle for emergencies you aren't the brightest.

No one stops to help people on the side of the road anymore since people have cell phones.

Inmem58
06-01-2012, 08:41 AM
I'll commit suicide if I lost my phone.

durtyrute
06-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Prepay my man.

Best move I ever did.

Went from paying about 50 a month (and that's super cheap) to averaging about 5-8. And I even have more options available now than I did with my old phone. :thumb:

You pay 5-8 a month for your phone?

AndChiefs
My grandma doesn't have one.

suds79
No one stops to help anymore people on the side of the road anymore since people have cell phones.

Well that and people don't want to end up in a freezer. :p

suds79
06-01-2012, 08:46 AM
You pay 5-8 a month for your phone?

I think that's about right.

I have Tracphone. It's a triple minutes for life phone (http://www.tracfone.com/phone_detail.jsp?contentID=UCMTST_009303&title=Motorola%20EX124G). I buy "units" as I need them. They can be talk, text or web about every few months or so. So yeah.

Shoot for people who want more advanced phones, Net 10 has a nice droid phone they offer. There are good options out there.

AndChiefs
06-01-2012, 08:46 AM
I think that's about right.

I have Tracphone. It's a triple minutes for life phone (http://www.tracfone.com/phone_detail.jsp?contentID=UCMTST_009303&title=Motorola%20EX124G). I buy more "units" can be talk, text or web about every few months or so. So yeah.

You probably have a home phone though?

ChiTown
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/wtcoll/verizon/images/pictures/air_land_sea/bag_phone.jpg

Micjones
06-01-2012, 08:51 AM
I can't imagine not having a cell phone at this point.
My phone was stolen 2 months ago and I twitched for 3 days until I got a new one.

suds79
06-01-2012, 08:51 AM
You probably have a home phone though?

No Google Voice is my home phone. ;)

Seriously check it out if you're not familiar with it.

Calls from home? Google Voice. (save the minutes on my prepay)
Text from home? Google Voice. Just type it on your PC. (save the minutes on my prepay)
Get text versions of voicemails? Google Voice.

It's all free and great. You know Google is taking over the world right? :P

durtyrute
06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/wtcoll/verizon/images/pictures/air_land_sea/bag_phone.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.games.com/media/2011/12/oh-snap-1322775931.jpg

durtyrute
06-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Text from home? Google Voice. Just type it on your PC. (save the minutes on my prepay)

If only this were NOT true.

AndChiefs

Calls from home? Google Voice.
Text from home? Google Voice. Just type it on your PC.

I've used it before. I'm on the road most of the week though so I have to have a cell phone. 60% of the time Google Voice wouldn't be feasible for my use.

Kyle DeLexus

But does your Google voice have Siri?

ChiTown
06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.games.com/media/2011/12/oh-snap-1322775931.jpg

Bag Phones own. If it only had a vagina, I would have never left it for a cell phone:deevee:

HemiEd
06-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I can't wait to get untied from the thing, and love the fact there is little to no AT&T reception down at Tablerock Lake.

I envy anyone that currently doesn't have one, but I can't name anyone I know off hand that isn't hooked to a phone.

KC Tattoo
06-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Yes. My Aunt Muriel doesn't have one, she is 92yo & the sweetest lady on earth.

I'm curently out of time this month and it sucks that I need it, but honestly I'm not missing it any. It's a curse to own one imo.

Kyle DeLexus
06-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Yes. My Aunt Muriel doesn't have one, she is 92yo & the sweetest lady on earth.

I'm curently out of time this month and it sucks that I need it, but honestly I'm not missing it any. It's a curse to own one imo.

You used up all your minutes the first 10 hours of the month???

suds79
06-01-2012, 09:22 AM
But does your Google voice have Siri?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EP1YAatv1Mc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've got a novel idea. Look out the window.

KC Tattoo
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
You used up all your minutes the first 10 hours of the month???

I bought a $15 dollar card and it only lasted 3 days and I didn't use it much at all. I didn't have $50 to buy a month unlimmited card. I'm short cash this month and it really bites.

Baconeater
06-01-2012, 10:53 AM
My mother doesn't. In fact, she still has the same home phone # from when she bought her house in 1968.

Saulbadguy
06-01-2012, 10:56 AM
No.

Inspector
06-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't have one.

The phone I have has a wire that plugs into the wall. And it has a dial, not buttons. And it's free.

I love free.

Bwana
06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes I do and to be honest, there are a lot of days, I was one of them.

Munson
06-01-2012, 11:05 AM
The only person I know that doesn't have one is my grandma, who is in her 70's or 80's. She doesn't have a computer, either.

Fairplay
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM
A buddy of mine and his wife have them but refuse to add texting or even desire to start doing it. Even with the limited text plans.

Strange.

SnakeXJones
06-01-2012, 11:32 AM
yes sir but I fucking hate my android phone

vailpass
06-01-2012, 11:48 AM
A better question is how many people still maintain home land lines for non-business use?

Inspector
06-01-2012, 12:10 PM
A better question is how many people still maintain home land lines for non-business use?

I know of at least one.

mnchiefsguy
06-01-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't own a cell phone. The wife has a pre-paid cell phone she uses now and again, I think we put maybe $15 bucks or so a month on it.

There was life before cell phones.

I will admit, that the i-phone is pretty cool. So is the Samsung model (galaxy 2 or whatever it is)...I have a couple of co-workers that have those phones and they are fun and useful. However, I cannot justify a four to five hundred dollar expense to obtain a phone, along with a $100 a month bill for it. It just isn't a big enough priority in our budget. (I would rather spend 500 bucks on buidling or upgrading my computer than buy an i-phone)

We do have a home line, but it is bundled with our cable and internet. It is handy because of the free long distance.

ChiTown
06-01-2012, 12:17 PM

Present

I have tried my ass off to get my wife to cancel the land line, but she just won't do it. Absolutely frustrates the shit out of me.

HemiEd
06-01-2012, 12:19 PM

I know quite a few of those, and it is shocking to me. Some people just can't let go.
We got rid of ours about three years ago, at least.

HemiEd
06-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Present

I have tried my ass off to get my wife to cancel the land line, but she just won't do it. Absolutely frustrates the shit out of me.

A young couple, just married, were in their honeymoon suite on
their wedding night. As they were undressing for bed, the husband
who was a big burly man tossed his pants to his bride and said,
"Here, put these on."

She put them on and the waist was twice the size of her body. "I
can't wear your pants," she said.

"That's right," said the husband, "and don't you ever forget it.
I'm the man and I wear the pants in this family."

With that she flipped him her panties and said, "Try these on."
He tried them on and found he could only get them on as far as
his kneecaps.

"Heck," he said, "I can't get into your panties!"

She replied, "That's right, and that's the way its going to be
until your attitude changes!"

BoneKrusher
06-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Prepay my man.

Best move I ever did.

yep, with Go Phone you can get an AT&T plan for $50.00 per month with unlimited texting, unlimited long distance and internet.

Gadzooks
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't have a cell phone. It keeps the old lady off my back when I'm at the bar.

ElGringo
06-01-2012, 12:30 PM
No cell phone, and if I didn't have to subscribe to home phone for internet here I wouldn't have that either.

SuperChief
06-01-2012, 12:31 PM
My old man has Magic Jack. $20 a year for unlimited calling, long distance included. Swears by it.

listopencil
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
yep, with Go Phone you can get an AT&T plan for $50.00 per month with unlimited texting, unlimited long distance and internet.

I use Metro PCS. It's $35 a month, per line, for my two children and myself. Unlimited talk/text/web but they aren't smart phones. I had to buy the phones but they were about $60 each.

Inspector
06-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm just too much of a cheapskate. My land line is free and I would get huge discounts if I did have a cell phone but, I'm just too big of a cheapskate to do it.

Cheapie Cheapskaterton.

listopencil
06-01-2012, 12:48 PM

That's cool. I'm playing with it right now.

BWillie
06-01-2012, 12:50 PM
No idea how you plan your evening or weekends when out and about w/out it.

suds79
06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
That's cool. I'm playing with it right now.

Yep. It's pretty sweet. I like having a gmail look workspace that's my phone hub.

Call, text, check VM, shoot record calls (can't think of a situation where I'd need to do that yet), it's all there.

I have one Google # now that I picked that will be with me most likely the rest of my life.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m4Q9MJdT5Ds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil
06-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Yep. It's pretty sweet. I like having a gmail look workspace that's my phone hub.

Call, text, check VM, shoot record calls (can't think of a situation where I'd need to do that yet), it's all there.

I have one Google # now that I picked that will be with me most likely the rest of my life.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m4Q9MJdT5Ds" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

I've got to look to see how you text from your PC. I've done that before with other applications and found it handy.

listopencil
06-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Herp derp, I see the big orange "text" link at the top of the Google Voice page.

pr_capone
06-01-2012, 01:16 PM

I do.

My brother in law *JUST* got a prepaid cell phone after nearly a decade of borrowing his parent mobile whenever he traveled. I typically wouldn't give someone shit about that but the guy is 40 years old.

loochy
06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
My wife's grandparents don't have a cell.

suds79
06-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Herp derp, I see the big orange "text" link at the top of the Google Voice page.

Actually that way you mentioned you have to punch in their phone #. Who remembers numbers?

Just enter someone as a contact. From that point forward, when you want to make a phone call or text, you click Contacts, find your person, click their name, hit either Call or sms.

FYI - If you hit call, have your gmail open in a window. Google voice is somehow tied to Gmail's phone system. So you'll hit call in Voice, Gmail then rings saying in coming call, hit answer and the outbound call is off to your person.

whoman69
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I just have a tracphone and just barely use it. I pay $80 for a year worth of service. I know people who pay more than that a month for their little toys. I talk on the phone all day at my job, don't really need to do anymore.

REDHOTGTO
06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
i would'nt have one for myself but my company has it for me, like a leash !

Thig Lyfe
06-01-2012, 02:56 PM
I don't.

Sent from a mobile device

keg in kc
06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Actually that way you mentioned you have to punch in their phone #. Who remembers numbers?It's hilarious, I have trouble remembering my own number.

I resisted getting a cell as long as I could. I hate talking to people on phones.

Rain Man
06-02-2012, 04:28 PM
I just have a tracphone and just barely use it. I pay $80 for a year worth of service. I know people who pay more than that a month for their little toys. I talk on the phone all day at my job, don't really need to do anymore.

What's a tracphone? Is it one of those ankle bracelets that sends your location to the parole officer? I had no idea you could use those as phones.

Rain Man
06-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I've got to look to see how you text from your PC. I've done that before with other applications and found it handy.

The only hard part is setting the pc up and finding a plug-in and hooking the monitor up every time you're standing in the grocery store and wanting to ask your wife about the flavor of ice cream she wants.

|Zach|
06-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I do not.

Rain Man
06-02-2012, 04:31 PM
My wife's grandparents don't have a cell.

I voted no, but just remembered that my wife's parents don't have one any more. In fairness, they used to have one, but my father in law couldn't hear it well with his hearing aid so they switched back to a land line.

JoeyChuckles
06-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Since I moved out of my parents in 2003, I have never had a land line.

listopencil
06-02-2012, 06:20 PM
The only hard part is setting the pc up and finding a plug-in and hooking the monitor up every time you're standing in the grocery store and wanting to ask your wife about the flavor of ice cream she wants.

No, that's the easy part. The hard part is going back and getting the ice cream flavor that she meant.

blaise
06-02-2012, 06:21 PM
No, but I wish I didn't. It's a hassle to me to be reachable all the time.

Mr. Kotter
06-02-2012, 07:39 PM
The person who doesn't own a cell-phone is still alive, but barely.

Most are at least 70 and probably closer to 80 yrs old...at least, at this point.

I still shut the damn thing off at least part of the day, and on weekends.

If you don't...holy crap, you are fucked in the head with this technology/info-now bullshit age we live in...

mikey23545
06-02-2012, 09:19 PM

Cell phones were mainly invented for people that can never shut the fuck up.