PDA

View Full Version : General Politics If you had the opportunity to meet a president/former president would you?

Iz Zat Chew
06-03-2012, 07:37 AM
In my lifetime there is only one that I would reject an offer to meet. I don't think anyone would have to guess who that might be.

How about the rest of you here? Who would you least want to meet and who would be the president that you would most like to see face to face?

If time were not an issue I'm split between two presidents. Truman and Eisenhower.

notorious
06-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Yes to all of them.

Hog Farmer
06-03-2012, 08:03 AM
If I had the opportunity to meet Obama, I'd walk up to him and stick my hand out to shake and when he extends I'd pull mine back and say "sorry but you're not the President, Bush is because you were born in Kenya ! Bitch!"

Then, realizing I still had boar jizz between my fingers I'd give him a pat on the back.

RedNeckRaider
06-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Thomas Jefferson if pressed to just one~

notorious
06-03-2012, 08:26 AM
If I got to hang out with one for a day to have fun, it would be Obama, Clinton, or Bush. They all seem like cool guys.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Madison, Jefferson and Washington for a good time.

To scold ~ McKinley, TR, Wilson and FDR that later ones aren't worth meeting...they're the offspring of these four.

Okie_Apparition
06-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Which ever one would share some insider trading tips
perhaps Chenney

AndChiefs
06-03-2012, 10:10 AM
perhaps Chenney

He always was my favorite President.

Okie_Apparition
06-03-2012, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't go on a snipe hunt with him

Brainiac
06-03-2012, 10:11 AM
I'd jump at the chance to meet former President Obama one year from now.

healthpellets
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
i have no desire to meet any of them.

But if i had to, i'd pick William Henry Harrison, only to ask him if those 30 days were the best or worst of his life.

Bowser
06-03-2012, 03:17 PM
It would be an honor for any American to meet any current or former POTUS, regardless of what "your" opinion of the guy was.

tredadda
06-03-2012, 03:33 PM
If I could meet any it would be without a doubt TR. He seems like a man who has plenty of stories to share.

Iz Zat Chew
06-03-2012, 03:50 PM
perhaps Chenney

I didn't realize we had a President Chenney.

Iz Zat Chew
06-03-2012, 03:52 PM
It would be an honor for any American to meet any current or former POTUS, regardless of what "your" opinion of the guy was.

That could be, but I'd still reject Obama. I wouldn't want to say something rude to a former president. I worked on a project in Georgia once and drove by Jimmy Carter's house. I didn't like him but would take the opportunity to meet him.

Iz Zat Chew
06-03-2012, 03:53 PM
If I could meet any it would be without a doubt TR. He seems like a man who has plenty of stories to share. I think that would be cool, as long as he wasn't carrying the big stick!

Rain Man
06-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Sure, I'd meet any of them.

Now, if it was just a "handshake and hello" deal, I wouldn't put a lot of value in it. I sure wouldn't stand in a line for three hours for a handshake and hello. But if it's something like having a dinner with them, that would be interesting regardless of which president it is. Admittedly, there'd be some awkward silences if it was a guy I didn't know much about, like John Tyler or Benjamin Harrison, but it'd still be quite interesting.

My worry, though, would be that the later ones and maybe even the early ones would be so slick that you wouldn't have a conversation of any substance.

As to my top choice, my initial thinking was Washington, but Redneckraider's suggestion of Thomas Jefferson may be better. I'd also have to put FDR up there pretty high. Clinton would be fun because I figure we'd end up cruising strip clubs.

I'd probably go with ... (tough choice) Jefferson because you'd get to chat about the independence movement, the presidency, and cool stuff like the Louisiana Purchase. Washington would be second and FDR would be third. Lincoln would be fourth.

Munson
06-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I would've liked to meet President Washington, Lincoln, Reagan.

As for former Presidents that are still alive, I wouldn't mind meeting President Clinton or Bush(43).

vailpass
06-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Not true. A sitting Potus is afforded the respect due the office. Once out of office they are private citizens, not kings for life.
I'd show obama the respect due the office today but wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire once out office.
Certainly we owe a former Potus a duty as far as public treatment but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is mandatory that we consider it an honor.

cosmo20002
06-03-2012, 04:30 PM
I didn't realize we had a President Chenney.

Perhaps you weren't around during 1992-2000? Oh, he wasn't elected president, but he was the one calling the shots. (Technically, W wasn't elected either, but I won't get into that).

healthpellets
06-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Not true. A sitting Potus is afforded the respect due the office. Once out of office they are private citizens, not kings for life.
I'd show obama the respect due the office today but wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire once out office.
Certainly we owe a former Potus a duty as far as public treatment but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is mandatory that we consider it an honor.

you really think there is a significant difference between W and O?

BucEyedPea
06-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I think that would be cool, as long as he wasn't carrying the big stick!

LMAO

I'd bring a bigger stick while I read him the Constitution.

cosmo20002
06-03-2012, 06:02 PM

I don't know if I would call it an "honor." They are just people, but it is kind cool to have a brush with what is really living history.

cosmo20002
06-03-2012, 06:04 PM

I do. One started a war for reasons were not true. One could go much further, but that alone distinguishes W from every other president.

Iz Zat Chew
06-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Perhaps you weren't around during 1992-2000? Oh, he wasn't elected president, but he was the one calling the shots. (Technically, W wasn't elected either, but I won't get into that).

History proves you wrong, but why argue about something you can't prove? Bush was elected in 2000. I'm wondering which part of your ass you pulled your dates from.

Iz Zat Chew
06-03-2012, 08:14 PM
I do. One started a war for reasons were not true. One could go much further, but that alone distinguishes W from every other president.

At the time the war was started they were believed to be true and the yellow cake proved that nuclear components were in Iraq at one time. What distinguishes Bush from other presidents is that he was outright attacked at all turns and liberals bought all of the crap. You see michael moore as a hero, I see him as a lying piece of shit.

cosmo20002
06-03-2012, 11:20 PM
History proves you wrong, but why argue about something you can't prove? Bush was elected in 2000. I'm wondering which part of your ass you pulled your dates from.

Whoops, you got me there on the dates. Mark it down, I made a mistake about something and you corrected me. We will never likely see this series of events again.

Under your normal definitions, I understand that you would say I 'lied' but most would call this a mistake, as I obviously mistakenly typed the Clinton years.

cosmo20002
06-03-2012, 11:23 PM
At the time the war was started they were believed to be true and the yellow cake proved that nuclear components were in Iraq at one time. What distinguishes Bush from other presidents is that he was outright attacked at all turns and liberals bought all of the crap. You see michael moore as a hero, I see him as a lying piece of shit.

Without going into detail about who believed what and whether it was reasonable to believe it, the bottom line is that it wasn't true.

Iz Zat Chew
06-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Whoops, you got me there on the dates. Mark it down, I made a mistake about something and you corrected me. We will never likely see this series of events again.

Under your normal definitions, I understand that you would say I 'lied' but most would call this a mistake, as I obviously mistakenly typed the Clinton years.

I did not say that you lied. This thread is about meeting Presidents if the opportunity might arise in your world.

Iz Zat Chew
06-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Without going into detail about who believed what and whether it was reasonable to believe it, the bottom line is that it wasn't true.

Again, this thread isn't about what you feel about the Bush years.

From what we read in the Newspapers, before someone made the determination there were no nukes there, the belief was that nukes were present, or had been present in Iraq. The papers also reported that it was known that Iraq was working on a nuclear program. Damning the war because the intelligence handed down from Clinton and maintained through the first few years of the Bush administration is a joke in my opinion. I read enough in the papers to support the war when it happened and also feel the determination of no nukes was more of a political ploy than the truth of the matter. The yellow cake found is evidence of some kind of nuclear operations.

You don't have to believe what you read in the papers or hear on the news, in my opinion the reports were credible and due to the war in Iraq we helped the Iraqi's in disposing of a ruthless leader. Not too much different than your president did with Obama Bin Laden.

alpha_omega
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Under your normal definitions, I understand that you would say I 'lied' but most would call this a mistake....

I happen to find this quite ironic.

Oh yeah, and yes, i would meet a president if i had the opportunity.

cosmo20002
06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
The yellow cake found is evidence of some kind of nuclear operations.

The yellowcake I assume you are talking about had been there for decades. Most importantly, it was not some secret Saddam was hiding. It was a known amount, and had long been documented, stored in sealed containers, and secured by inspectors.

cosmo20002
06-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I happen to find this quite ironic.

Why?

Okie_Apparition
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
We the people were the GM
we were responsible for putting the football in Cassel's reach

alpha_omega
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Why?

Just struck me as funny given what you typed in post #24, that's all.

I realize that isn't what you were talking about, but it still seemed ironic.

cosmo20002
06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Just struck me as funny given what you typed in post #24, that's all.

I realize that isn't what you were talking about, but it still seemed ironic.

He started a war based on claims that were not true. I mistyped a date. OK...

BigChiefFan
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.

vailpass
06-04-2012, 12:50 PM

As leaders? As representatives of the USA? As people? In a social setting? Night and day. But you already know this.

FishingRod
06-04-2012, 01:02 PM
He started a war based on claims that were not true. I mistyped a date. OK...

Gulf of Tonkin. Not exactly the same but I think you could certainly see the comparrison. The Mexican American war was not one of our better moments as a country either.

Amnorix
06-04-2012, 01:04 PM

War of 1812

Mexican-American War

Spanish-American War.

Yeah, we're actually pretty good at fabricating reasons for war when we need/want to. But sssshhhh, it's unAmerican to even know it, much less say it out loud.

FishingRod
06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
I Would like to sit down and have a beer with any of them including the one we have now.Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln , TR, Regan, Truman, and FDR Would be pretty high on my list. JFK or Clinton would have the best party.

InChiefsHell
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I'd meet any President, I mean shit, they were a President. That said, were I to make a list of all 44...Barry would be last on the list.

cosmo20002
06-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Gulf of Tonkin. Not exactly the same but I think you could certainly see the comparrison. The Mexican American war was not one of our better moments as a country either.

I agree--in the ballpark, but really not the same.

Iz Zat Chew
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
The yellowcake I assume you are talking about had been there for decades. Most importantly, it was not some secret Saddam was hiding. It was a known amount, and had long been documented, stored in sealed containers, and secured by inspectors.
Do you have a link to would validate that? I've seen no such information.

Iz Zat Chew
06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I Would like to sit down and have a beer with any of them including the one we have now.Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln , TR, Regan, Truman, and FDR Would be pretty high on my list. JFK or Clinton would have the best party.

I wouldn't have a beer with him, he would probably stick me with the tab.

Iz Zat Chew
06-04-2012, 01:57 PM
I'd meet any President, I mean shit, they were a President. That said, were I to make a list of all 44...Barry would be last on the list.

I would like to meet any president other than Obama. The only way I would even be anywhere near him would be by mistake. I'd rather find the person on this earth that hates me most and meet with them.

FishingRod
06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't have a beer with him, he would probably stick me with the tab.

OK I did LOL a little on that one.

BryanBusby
06-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Bill Clinton

Motherfucker knows how to party hard.

Setsuna
06-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Abraham Lincoln. Gvie him some dap fo freeing mah ancestor homies.

vailpass
06-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I would like to meet any president other than Obama. The only way I would even be anywhere near him would be by mistake. I'd rather find the person on this earth that hates me most and meet with them.

I'd meet with obama if I was allowed to bring Triumph the Insult Comic Dog with me.

pr_capone
06-05-2012, 01:09 PM

The **** it would be. He is a man, just like any other. His job title doesn't doesn't make it honorific to be in his presence.

That said, it would be interdasting to sit and have a chat with a few of them like Washington or Adams... but honor? No.

SNR
06-05-2012, 01:29 PM
The only former president I've met was Gerald Ford back in the 90s.

I met Obama the candidate. I also met Romney the candidate back in 2008.

It would be cool if I could say I've met the past two presidents. I just didn't meet them when they were current or former presidents.

qabbaan
06-05-2012, 03:19 PM
I've no interest in meeting Obama. I could have attended an event recently to hear him speak and did not. If for some reason I were invited to meet him personally I would go the Tim Thomas route.

George W Bush and Clinton both seem like interesting men and it would be interesting to have a candid conversation with them about their times as president.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I'd like to meet Harry Truman, Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan.

Iowanian
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
There are none of them that I wouldn't meet.

I'm sure I'd enjoy the company of some more than others, buy why miss an opportunity like that?

I don't like much about iBama but I'd meet with the guy in a room with no cameras so he didn't get a political moment from it. I'd enjoy telling him what I think of his policies as a middle American small business owner.

La literatura
06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
There are none of them that I wouldn't meet.

I'm sure I'd enjoy the company of some more than others, buy why miss an opportunity like that?

I don't like much about iBama but I'd meet with the guy in a room with no cameras so he didn't get a political moment from it. I'd enjoy telling him what I think of his policies as a middle American small business owner.

He'd probably appreciate hearing them. I think all of the living former presidents are admirable in some ways (though some of those ways are less admirable that, say, running into a fire to save a person's life).

But of Carter, Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 43, and Obama, I would want to meet Bush 41 or Carter the most, because both of them seem wise; the type of wisdom that radiates out of a person and inspires me. Part of it is their age, but it is their experience most of all. They were terrific doers, and their lives are quite inspiring to me.

Chiefshrink
06-07-2012, 09:18 AM
How about potential future POTUS ????

I would love to have a sit down with Scott Walker who has just faced and been in "the belly of the beast" and not only come out the 'victor' but shows how to be a true leader "who speaks softly and carries a big MOFO stick"(although I can't stand TR but love his quote). Hopefully the rest of the GOP takes note and how not to fear and lead and expose these cowards for who they are:rolleyes:

Iz Zat Chew
06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
But of Carter, Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 43, and Obama, I would want to meet Bush 41 or Carter the most, because both of them seem wise; the type of wisdom that radiates out of a person and inspires me. Part of it is their age, but it is their experience most of all. They were terrific doers, and their lives are quite inspiring to me.

I'd like to meet ABO.

Your perception of Jimmy Carter is puzzling. He was notably one of the weakest and/or worst presidents we've ever had. He, despite being a military officer, had no leadership qualities. Most all of his problems were rooted in his lack of leadership from what I can read. Based on his after office activities, other than political, he has proven to be a good man but being a good man doesn't do squat for leading the country.

Iz Zat Chew
06-07-2012, 10:31 AM
How about potential future POTUS ????

I doubt that Walker will be up to the task, good prospect, but I think he will back out well before the 2016 race.

Too bad we don't have a means test that could indicate who would be a good president and who would be a bad president, that in and of itself would be great for America.

I'd vote for anyone that ran on the platform to kick the U.N. out of America as well as isolating America from the U.N. To me it is more corrupt than the U.S. Government.

Chiefshrink
06-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I doubt that Walker will be up to the task, good prospect, but I think he will back out well before the 2016 race.

Don't know if you heard Levin yesterday but his prediction will be that Walker will be the next Speaker of the House which I think is very legit as 'true conservatives' continue to win more seats in the House and eventually vote these RINOs out of positions( a la Boehner etc.... AND you DO NOT have to be a House Rep in order to be the SOH either.

Hog Farmer
06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Actually , I can't stand liars !