PDA

View Full Version : Life Dental School Milestone

O.city
06-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Well, I'm officially a 3rd year dental student. See my first patient on my own tomorrow. Talked to him on the phone, is a super nice guy.

It's been a long road to this point. Through 4 semesters, 2 years, of dental school, we have completed 96 "official" hours, and countless hours of lab BS work.

Super excited to get into the clinic and start experience the real world dentistry.

Wish me luck.

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Good Luck

lewdog
06-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Since Chiefs fans get free dental service from you, call me in a year when you are official so I can get some work done.

kthxbye.

kchero
06-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Best of luck to you!

I just finished pharmacy school with my Pharm D and that was a total of 8 years including my undergraduate work so I am familiar with the sacrifice of the ground work leading up to clinicals.

I am sure it will be nice to finally be able to actually start practicing what you have worked so hard for. It sounds like you have a passion for your profession so I am sure you will bring that positive attitude/atmosphere to your patients.

BossChief
06-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Since Chiefs fans get free dental service from you, call me in a year when you are official so I can get some work done.

kthxbye.

Quit begging.

BossChief
06-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Best of luck to you!

I just finished pharmacy school with my Pharm D and that was a total of 8 years including my undergraduate work so I am familiar with the sacrifice of the ground work leading up to clinicals.

I am sure it will be nice to finally be able to actually start practicing what you have worked so hard for. It sounds like you have a passion for your profession so I am sure you will bring that positive attitude/atmosphere to your patients.

Can I get some free pharmicudicals? I'm a Chiefs fan!

Donger
06-03-2012, 06:25 PM
"Never trust a man who puts his hands in another man's mouth."

milkman
06-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Shouldn't we be wishing your first solo patient the luck?

scho63
06-03-2012, 06:40 PM
First words of advice-never wear any rings while working, including your college ring.

I had a dentist that nearly crushed my gums with his big college ring under his plastic gloves....

Had to tell him he felt like Rocky punching my mouth

cdcox
06-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Your years on ChiefsPlanet have prepared for any patient crisis that gets out of hand: antifreeze.

Canofbier
06-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Congratulations! So begins a hopefully long and fulfilling career. :toast:

milkman
06-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Congratulations! So begins a hopefully long and fulfilling career. :toast:

Filling, anyway.

Rain Man
06-03-2012, 06:56 PM
First words of advice-never wear any rings while working, including your college ring.

I had a dentist that nearly crushed my gums with his big college ring under his plastic gloves....

Had to tell him he felt like Rocky punching my mouth

Plus, when it's right in front of the guy's face and says, "Class of 2014", it doesn't inspire confidence.

Rain Man
06-03-2012, 06:58 PM
So do you tell the guy that he's your first patient?

And if you don't, what do you say in the small talk phase when he says, "How long have you been practicing?" Do you then say, "Funny story..."?

O.city
06-03-2012, 07:02 PM
So do you tell the guy that he's your first patient?

And if you don't, what do you say in the small talk phase when he says, "How long have you been practicing?" Do you then say, "Funny story..."?

Well, they know you are a third year student first off.

Second, when they ask if you have done this procedure, you just say a number of times.

0 is a number right?

kchero
06-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Can I get some free pharmicudicals? I'm a Chiefs fan!

All everyone needs is a CP physician and they are set.

Old Dog
06-04-2012, 09:16 AM
All everyone needs is a CP psychiatrist and they are set.

Though I would make it a touch more specific.

Old Dog
06-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Oh, and congrats to O.city and best of luck to his patients

loochy
06-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Tooge is not impressed.

DanT
06-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Congratulations on your progress, O.city!

bevischief
06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Congrats.

mr. tegu
06-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Though I would make it a touch more specific.

I am here for all of them. Didn't you know we have a group session that meets once a week? Just $80 an hour. :p

KCUnited
06-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Congrats and good luck.

If you ever open your own practice do yourself a favor and invest in a good receptionist. I had a good dentist who did good work that I left because his dumbass receptionist was always playing around with my appointment times.

morphius
06-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Congrats!

Does this mean we need start the suicide watch soon?

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Congrats and good luck.

If you ever open your own practice do yourself a favor and invest in a good receptionist. I had a good dentist who did good work that I left because his dumbass receptionist was always playing around with my appointment times.

I expected the final sentence to go in a different direction.

KCUnited
06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
I expected the final sentence to go in a different direction.
This particular beast, I'd rather have a root canal, which is something else to consider O. city.

Demonpenz
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
this was posted at Tooth-thirty

loochy
06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
this was posted at Tooth-thirty

No, it was posted at 1:41 p.m.

cosmo20002
06-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Well, I'm officially a 3rd year dental student. See my first patient on my own tomorrow. Talked to him on the phone, is a super nice guy.

It's been a long road to this point. Through 4 semesters, 2 years, of dental school, we have completed 96 "official" hours, and countless hours of lab BS work.

Super excited to get into the clinic and start experience the real world dentistry.

Wish me luck.

Good luck to your patients. Be sure to mention that you have spent the last 2 years and 10 months posting to Chiefs Planet nearly 10,000 times. :D

Chief3188
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Filling, anyway.

lol nice. I imagine if it's not fulfilling he will get to the root of the problem......

Rain Man
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
My dentist office got a new dental assistant, and even though she has something like 20 years in the business, she'll ask me questions that can't be answered with a nod while I can't talk.

It's bizarre. She'll have my mouth open and will be scraping a molar, and then she'll say, "So, where do you like to go on vacation?"

I mean, what's up with that? How has she not figured out by this point when to ask questions and when not to ask questions?

KCUnited
06-04-2012, 02:21 PM
My dentist office got a new dental assistant, and even though she has something like 20 years in the business, she'll ask me questions that can't be answered with a nod while I can't talk.

It's bizarre. She'll have my mouth open and will be scraping a molar, and then she'll say, "So, where do you like to go on vacation?"

I mean, what's up with that? How has she not figured out by this point when to ask questions and when not to ask questions?

She wants you incisor.

mr. tegu
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM
She wants you incisor.

:clap:

WhiteWhale
06-04-2012, 03:42 PM

Try and gurgle it out.

After 20 years, you'd be shocked what they can understand.