PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues The Liberal (and Conservative) Mind

banyon
06-03-2012, 07:29 PM
No, this isn't about a Republican banning soda. This is actually about the thinking patterns of Liberals and Conservatives. I watched this on Sunday on PBS. It is a full length show @ 50 mins, but I thought the author had many interesting insights into our current political stalemate.

Demonizing the opposition, confirmation bias, important values

Author says he used to be a liberal, but tempered some of his views. Claims conservatives have better insight into human nature at this point (though not perfect insight).

Arguably, Chiefsplanet DC is a productive enterprise on his thesis that it helps us to minimize our confirmation bias, unless we are caught up in the demonization of others.

Aesop's fable of the grasshopper and the ant helps to explain conservatives cheering "Let him die!" during the GOP debate where Ron Paul didn't want government health insurance.

Be interested to see others' thoughts:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/43233350?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

banyon
06-03-2012, 07:51 PM
He makes a persuasive argument that Republicans are all about karma.

AustinChief
06-03-2012, 08:28 PM
I saw him on Colbert and seemed interesting. From what little I have heard, he makes a lot of sense.

banyon
06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I saw him on Colbert and seemed interesting. From what little I have heard, he makes a lot of sense.

I'll have to check out that Colbert. Some of the things he said resonated with me as well.

AustinChief
06-04-2012, 01:46 AM
I'll have to check out that Colbert. Some of the things he said resonated with me as well.

This video should be required viewing for posting in DC.

Taco John
06-04-2012, 02:10 AM
No, this isn't about a Republican banning soda.

Huh?

What Republican did that?

banyon
06-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Huh?

What Republican did that?

Michael Bloomberg

mikey23545
06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Michael Bloomberg

If you look up RINO in the dictionary it has a picture of Bloomberg.

HonestChieffan
06-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Liberalism like Bloomberg touts is proof that liberals in any cloak are still liberals.

BucEyedPea
06-04-2012, 09:00 AM
If you look up RINO in the dictionary it has a picture of Bloomberg.

He's switches parties depending on if he's running for office. He's been a Republican, a Democrat and an Independent.

Chiefshrink
06-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Michael Bloomberg

Bloomberg is a RINO at the very most and has recently claimed he is an Independent. He just another LIB Dem playing politics by calling himself an (I).:rolleyes:

Chiefshrink
06-04-2012, 09:40 AM
What did Churchill say? Although he denies being the originator of this statement. "If you are not a Liberal in your 20's you have no heart and if you are not a Conservative by the time you are 40 you have no brain". Something like that.

Chiefshrink
06-04-2012, 09:42 AM
He's switches parties depending on if he's running for office. He's been a Republican, a Democrat and an Independent.

:thumb:

banyon
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Sigh. People are more interested in the lazy superficial debate about Michael Bloomberg's status than understanding the debate itself. Should have left that out I guess.

I guess that figures. :shrug: