PDA

View Full Version : General Politics A modest tax proposal...

AustinChief
06-04-2012, 03:45 AM
How many of you are upset with what our government spends our money on? Right wingers don't like the social programs. Left wingers may think we spend too much on the military. Everyone has something they don't like. We ASSUME that it all comes out as a wash but I am inclined to think that we have no real reason to think that.

SOOOO... here is what I was thinking. We can't trust our elected officials to REALLY listen to what we want our money spent on. For one, they simply don't KNOW. So, they make massive assumptions. Instead, what if every individual taxpayer (corporations that pay taxes don't get a say) has a new section on their tax form that let's them mark what they want their money spent on. I'm not talking specific line items, but general categories like education, military, healthcare, national parks, etc... I am talking about a simple -/0/+ system or a 1-10 importance.. whatever would be simple and easy.

Now, I don't propose that this would be binding on the government (at least not at first) but I think it would be very interesting to have that data available to both the public and the politicians.

The great thing is that it would represent the wishes of EVERY tax paying individual citizen AND it would be up to date every YEAR as opinion change.

I have more thoughts on this, but it's getting late. What say you?

Bewbies
06-04-2012, 07:48 AM
If tax"payers" had a say the welfare system and govt handouts would go bye bye. That's a problem because if people were providing for themselves one of the parties would lose a huge chunk of their voting block..

BucEyedPea
06-04-2012, 07:51 AM
If tax"payers" had a say the welfare system and govt handouts would go bye bye. That's a problem because if people were providing for themselves one of the parties would lose a huge chunk of their voting block..

Not necessarily. They could vote for more largesse too. This is the danger of direct democracy with a referendum like this being national. I don't approve of it.

FD
06-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't think you'd get much out of this. When people are polled, all major spending items receive support from large majorities. The only program people support cutting is foreign aid, and thats about 1% of the budget.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/3aufi4djc0ctdb3cdesgrq.gif

BucEyedPea
06-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Someone would claim a poll like the above is not a large enough sample as those are usually based on about 1200 people. I say the trend would likely hold, as you always get a big divergence with more sampled.

Still that chart is another example of why democracy doesn't work. Not even half of those are authorized by our Constitution. Not that it means anything anymore.