Shogun
06-04-2012, 05:02 PM
lets go!

Shogun
06-04-2012, 05:03 PM
WERE DRAFTIN 5!

Reaper16
06-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Speculation today is that the Royals go cheap at #5 in hopes of spending more of their cap in later rounds. A prime example of how the new draft rules do tremendous damage to small-market teams like the Royals.

CaliforniaChief
06-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Speculation today is that the Royals go cheap at #5 in hopes of spending more of their cap in later rounds. A prime example of how the new draft rules do tremendous damage to small-market teams like the Royals.

I'm awaiting the call now...

alnorth
06-04-2012, 05:11 PM

It is not a prime example at all. The "this hurts small markets" argument is ridiculous.

The larger markets were catching on last year and more money was spent, by far, in last year's draft than any other in history, with tons of teams going way over-slot.

The big-money clubs would have swamped the field and eventually the best talent in the draft would have cost too much. Thank the Royals for taking advantage of retarded clubs before they got wise.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Keith Law just speculated the Royals could take Chris Stratton at 5.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Damn it. Correa #1.

Oh well, we wont be taking a position player, there'll be plenty of pitching available.

Mr. Laz
06-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Carlos Correa @ #1 to Houston

Mr. Laz
06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
minny on the clock

Mr. Laz
06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I would think the Royals would go starting pitching

horse is already out but we close the door to make it look like we are trying

ChiefsCountry
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Royals should now get one of the top pitchers.
Posted via Mobile Device

alnorth
One of 2 "no way in hell are they still available for KC" pitchers are now gone. If you want to dream a little, you can hope that Appel falls, but that is not going to happen.

Mr. Laz
Appel to the Royals?

alnorth
06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Oh wait, Twins didn't go pitcher. Never mind. We're REALLY not picking position now.

tmw4h5
06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
SS and CF go 1 and 2. Isn't this really good news for the Royals?

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA

Confirmed: #Mariners taking Zunino at 3. #mlbdraft

Captain Obvious
06-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Bud Selig looks like he is lost every time he steps to the podium.

Mecca
Isn't that a bit high for Zunino?

alnorth
SS and CF go 1 and 2. Isn't this really good news for the Royals?

I would have picked Correa if Royals were drafting #1. Just because we need a pitcher now doesn't mean we go pitcher if BPA is not a pitcher.

haha, oh hell Zunino picked #3? That clinches it, every great position player is gone now. BPA HAS to be pitcher now.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Appel and Gausman both available. I'd be happy with Gausman, and flabbergasted (and happy) if we land Appel.

SnakeXJones
06-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Crazy if Royals draft appel cant believe he didnt go first

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

Ive talked to people before and got sense Appel was not Orioles' top P on board. Guess we'll see

KevB
06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Looking like Appel could be there. Lots of rumors today the Royals were going with Stratton. Hope that is no longer in play with either Appel or Gausman available.

Mecca
06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Does Baltimore take yet another pitcher..talk about stockpile.

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Does Baltimore take yet another pitcher..talk about stockpile.

Yes they are going pitcher

alnorth
06-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Looking like Appel could be there. Lots of rumors today the Royals were going with Stratton. Hope that is no longer in play with either Appel or Gausman available.

The Royals probably assumed Appel would be gone.

tmw4h5
Appel!

siberian khatru
Wow, took Gausman over Appel.

Do this right, Royals.

cabletech94
our apple time?

Mecca
06-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Well Appel is still there.

alnorth
APPEL is still on the Board!!!

College pitcher with upside! Yes, that sounds like a contradiction, but he's a rare one!

KevB
Holy hell, this should take no longer than 10 seconds to decide. Appel is everything they want right now.

KevB
The Royals probably assumed Appel would be gone.

Absolutely

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Wow. OK what's wrong with Appel that we don't know but everyone else does....

Priest31kc
Come on Dayton...Take him.

cabletech94
Wow. OK what's wrong with Appel that we don't know but everyone else does....

best scouting dept. in the majors?

alnorth
Why the hell did Appel drop? "The other teams were stupid" just isn't comforting for me.

tmw4h5
06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Appel being there at 5 reminds me of when Berry was available at 5 for the Chiefs.
It's such an obvious pick, but you still think that our GM might draft somebody else just to be a dick.

KevB
06-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Twitter saying not Appel

KevB
Why the hell did Appel drop? "The other teams were stupid" just isn't comforting for me.

Wants too much money, worked at #1 maybe but not at #5?

Dr. Facebook Fever
Twitter saying not Appel

LMAO

Of course it won't be.

Mecca
06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
If it's not Appel these guys on MLB network are gonna lose it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-04-2012, 05:42 PM
If it's not Appel these guys on MLB network are gonna lose it.

As will these guys on CP

siberian khatru
JFC

Mecca
And of course it's not.

KevB
I'm ok with that. He's got front of the rotation stuff. Not much mileage on that arm either.

ChiefsCountry
Take Zimmer. Still a good pick though.
Posted via Mobile Device

stonedstooge
Zimmer is gutless and a loser just drawing a paycheck. He needs to get out of baseball/Al Bundy. Too soon?

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Zimmer is gutless and a loser just drawing a paycheck. He needs to get out of baseball/Al Bundy. Too soon?

LMAO

You forgot he doesn't want to win.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Welp.

Zimmer is a solid pitcher projected to go middle top-10, so we didn't reach, but Appel was right there.

A lot of people on other message boards are speculating that teams are scared of Appel because they don't know if Boras will be reasonable under the new system.

cabletech94
06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
i think i like this kid. just from his smile.

am i being a complete tool?

mlb network guys love him.

Reaper16
06-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Welp.

Zimmer is a solid pitcher projected to go middle top-10, so we didn't reach, but Appel was right there.

A lot of people on other message boards are speculating that teams are scared of Appel because they don't know if Boras will be reasonable under the new system.

And yet, to you, the idea that the new rules restrict small-market teams is "ridiculous."

The God Hypothesis
I hope his velocity returns. Looks like a pitcher.

Dr. Facebook Fever
i think i like this kid. just from his smile.

am i being a complete tool?

mlb network guys love him.

Is it Frenchy-esque?

Reaper16
I like Zimmer. He's not Appel, but he's a solid pick.

KevB
06-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I like Zimmer. He's not Appel, but he's a solid pick.

I like that he doesn't have the innings on his arm that Appel has and yet is right there with Appel as a prospect.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
And yet, to you, the idea that the new rules restrict small-market teams is "ridiculous."

Yes, it is ridiculous.

EVERYONE has a hard draft budget. You seem to be under the fantasyland delusion that the Yankees are unlimited in the draft while we are under the gun to keep it at 6 million, no everyone's got a budget, the Astros had the biggest budget of the draft, and THEY passed him too.

The fear is that he might blow out one team's budget. That is not a big market thing, thats an "everybody" thing.

Someone is probably going to take Appel, with the full intention of wasting that pick if he doesn't sign, and say "look kid, this is it, take it or leave it". The Royals could have done that if they wanted.

cabletech94
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Is it Frenchy-esque?

that's kinda exactly what he is.

kinda goofy, but a good kid all around.

pretty much like myself.

just an athlete.

who will soon be rich.

and get to play a kids game, and make some hella money.

KevB
06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
GMDM was there to watch Zimmer's last start, and it wasn't good. The fact that we still took him makes me feel good about his lack of velocity after his hammy injury.

KevB
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Yes, it is ridiculous.

EVERYONE has a hard draft budget. You seem to be under the fantasyland delusion that the Yankees are unlimited in the draft while we are under the gun to keep it at 6 million, no everyone's got a budget, the Astros had the biggest budget of the draft, and THEY passed him too.

The fear is that he might blow out one team's budget. That is not a big market thing, thats an "everybody" thing.

Someone is probably going to take Appel, with the full intention of wasting that pick if he doesn't sign, and say "look kid, this is it, take it or leave it". The Royals could have done that if they wanted.

Somebody in the teens will pull that trigger, and not feel as bad if they lose the pick. Someone speculated that Boras is pushing for Appel to fall to Nationals in the late teens. Like they need more pitching.

Reaper16
06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Yes, it is ridiculous.

You're missing part of the problem here, Al: Which teams can better afford to spend their cap on a top-flight Boras guy? Only the organizations that are already pretty well-off, that can make up for it with free agent spending at the major league level. Only the large-market clubs. Boras knows that. And Boras LOVES that, because it gets his guys into better situations and bigger media markets (with more extensive sponsorship opportunities) right at the start of their careers.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
GMDM was there to watch Zimmer's last start, and it wasn't good. The fact that we still took him makes me feel good about his lack of velocity after his hammy injury.

Rany seems to agree

Rany Jazayerli ‏@jazayerli

*IF* Zimmer's late-season fade was hamstring-related, he's right there with Appel. Not sexy, but not bad. I'll sleep fine tonight.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 05:55 PM
You're missing part of the problem here, Al: Which teams can better afford to spend their cap on a top-flight Boras guy? Only the organizations that are already pretty well-off, that can make up for it with free agent spending at the major league level. Only the large-market clubs. Boras knows that. And Boras LOVES that, because it gets his guys into better situations and bigger media markets (with more extensive sponsorship opportunities) right at the start of their careers.

You are massively overblowing that aspect, the Yankees dont want to waste their picks, either.

Now look at the alternative.

The large markets swamp the field. The best drafted players routinely pocket $15-20MM bonuses and tell the Royals and Pirates not to bother drafting them.

That is where we were headed, the people who think "this was bad for small markets" were all, inexplicably, presuming that baseball teams would continue to be too cheap in the draft. That was beginning to come to an end last year.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Appel goes to the Pirates, who are going to go ahead and risk their pick on him.

Damn you Pittsburgh, and your monstrously large market!!!

Reaper16
06-04-2012, 06:01 PM
You are massively overblowing that aspect, the Yankees dont want to waste their picks, either.

The large markets swamp the field. The best drafted players routinely pocket $15-20MM bonuses and tell the Royals and Pirates not to bother drafting them.

That is where we were headed, the people who think "this was bad for small markets" were all, inexplicably, presuming that baseball teams would continue to be too cheap in the draft. That was beginning to come to an end last year.

Given this alternative, what are the disadvantages, then, of instituting some harder slotting? Why go with the system that we're seeing tonight?

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Pittsburgh's budget is only $6.6MM. If they give Appel the kind of bonus he's rumored to be asking for, then they'd have to draft starving homeless bums tomorrow.

PGM
06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Pittsburgh...where pitcher's go to die.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Given this alternative, what are the disadvantages, then, of instituting some harder slotting? Why go with the system that we're seeing tonight?

We pretty much have hard-slotting now. A team could decide to go all Ricky Williams and blow their draft on one or two guys if they want, but there's no reason to believe thats a large-market characteristic.

KevB
06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Pittsburgh's budget is only $6.6MM. If they give Appel the kind of bonus he's rumored to be asking for, then they'd have to draft starving homeless bums tomorrow.

Will be very interesting how that plays out. Next interesting guy is Giolito.

KevB
06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Pittsburgh...where pitcher's go to die.

Everyone but James MacDonald apparently

keg in kc
06-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I had no idea the draft was today.

Al Bundy
06-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Zimmer looked excited to be a Royal.. Choke looked excited to be collecting a paycheck.

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 06:07 PM

Large-market teams have not gone cheap in the draft; there's a reason that Verlander and Porcello are Tigers.

But NY and their ilk don't need to go crazy in the draft because they go crazy in FA, getting pretty damn good production now, in addition to supplementing with the draft.

Only the David Glasses of the world will avoid FA like the plague. Fuck him; he's not a good owner.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Will be very interesting how that plays out. Next interesting guy is Giolito.

If they give him a ton of money, they'd pretty much have to punt their #45 and #69 picks.

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Appel goes to the Pirates, who are going to go ahead and risk their pick on him.

Damn you Pittsburgh, and your monstrously large market!!!

Exactly what the Royals should have done. He doesn't sign? Cool. We'll take the #6 overall pick next year.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:08 PM
But NY and their ilk don't need to go crazy in the draft because they go crazy in FA, getting pretty damn good production now, in addition to supplementing with the draft.

There is no reason, at all, to believe this would continue, especially after the Royals put together "the greatest farm ever" by modestly overpaying. Why choose one or the other? Do both.

Al Bundy
06-04-2012, 06:09 PM
LMAO

You forgot he doesn't want to win.

I'd bet anything ole Puke doesn't give a fuck about winning.

The God Hypothesis
06-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Exactly what the Royals should have done. He doesn't sign? Cool. We'll take the #6 overall pick next year.

Unless you see Zimmer as a high ceiling starter. Which they obviously do.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Oh dont get me wrong, even though I'm fine with Zimmer, I still dont agree with the move because next year's draft is supposed to be stronger, go ahead and take the #6 2013 comp pick. Unless Appel was genuinely low on our board or tied with Zimmer. If our scouts were not as impressed with him, then I can live with that, because they would be accountable for that decision. If they miss too many times they are fired.

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 06:10 PM
There is no reason, at all, to believe this would continue, especially after the Royals put together "the greatest farm ever" by modestly overpaying. Why choose one or the other? Do both.

Latin America component, though I realize that the Royals have been doing well here, too.

Point is, there's been no secret about the Royals approach since '09, so I'm not sure why '12 would be the magical year for the larger markets to "wise up."

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Unless you see Zimmer as a high ceiling starter. Which they obviously do.

Royals ownership and front office don't deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.

*understands that Dayton's one skill might be evaluating amateur talent.

KevB
06-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Appel wasn't that much better than Zimmer. Those two and Gausman were lumped together.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Latin America component, though I realize that the Royals have been doing well here, too.

Point is, there's been no secret about the Royals approach since '09, so I'm not sure why '12 would be the magical year for the larger markets to "wise up."

It wouldn't have been an abrupt cliff, but the future was clear, and we were signing a very long-term CBA. The Royals would have no real advantage as soon as this year, and a moderate to strong disadvantage within a few years. At least this system more-or-less locks everyone in parity.

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Appel wasn't that much better than Zimmer. Those two and Gausman were lumped together.

DM certainly didn't go off the reservation with the selection. He's a legit prospect in a sensible draft slot.

No big deal on my end really.

KevB
06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Baseball America comments on Zimmer:

With the fifth-overall pick the Royals selected San Francisco righthander Kyle Zimmer. Several scouts in Northern California preferred Zimmer to Appel thanks to his athleticism and fastball movement.

Zimmer's fastball was clocked as high as 98 mph and he mixes in an above-average curveball and a changeup. Zimmer has a fresh arm, as he only started pitching seriously in college, but he also faded down the stretch and dealt with a hamstring injury.

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
It wouldn't have been an abrupt cliff, but the future was clear, and we were signing a very long-term CBA. The Royals would have no real advantage as soon as this year, and a moderate to strong disadvantage within a few years. At least this system more-or-less locks everyone in parity.

And forces the Royals to excel in other avenues or be mired in perpetual suck.

duncan_idaho
06-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I am surprised that Appel fell past the Royals... never thought that would be an option.

Here's the thing, though... Zimmer's ceiling is just as high (if not a little higher). He's a more raw/toolsy guy than Appel, who has a lot of mileage on his arm. And he's a great athlete (similar to Greinke and Odorizzi).

I exchanged some info on Twitter with Schaum earlier in the week, and he indicated that some people had a "Hochevar" feeling with Appel. In that he wasn't as competitive and didn't get the results from his stuff that he should.

They seem to like Zimmer's makeup and upside better than Appel's. Appel, Gausman and Zimmer all graded out pretty similarly before Zimmer's hamstring injury (which apparently the Royals are satisfied with).

The draft is a crapshoot, ultimately. If by taking Zimmer the Royals have more options later in the draft and more cash to spend, that is an understandable move.

Would have been fine with taking Appel - and excited about it - but it definitely would have been an eggs-in-one-basket situation.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:27 PM
And forces the Royals to excel in other avenues or be mired in perpetual suck.

yep. That was going to happen anyway, as soon as this year, but the Royals have to scout and develop better than the rest of the division.

Reaper16
06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I am surprised that Appel fell past the Royals... never thought that would be an option.

Here's the thing, though... Zimmer's ceiling is just as high (if not a little higher). He's a more raw/toolsy guy than Appel, who has a lot of mileage on his arm. And he's a great athlete (similar to Greinke and Odorizzi).

I exchanged some info on Twitter with Schaum earlier in the week, and he indicated that some people had a "Hochevar" feeling with Appel. In that he wasn't as competitive and didn't get the results from his stuff that he should.

They seem to like Zimmer's makeup and upside better than Appel's. Appel, Gausman and Zimmer all graded out pretty similarly before Zimmer's hamstring injury (which apparently the Royals are satisfied with).

The draft is a crapshoot, ultimately. If by taking Zimmer the Royals have more options later in the draft and more cash to spend, that is an understandable move.

Would have been fine with taking Appel - and excited about it - but it definitely would have been an eggs-in-one-basket situation.
If the Royals determined that they just like Zimmer more than Appel for those makeup reasons then I am going to trust that decision.

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Red meat on a Royals board. LMAO.

Fuck Appel!!!

kchero
06-04-2012, 06:32 PM

Agreed. The draft is hit and miss....with much much more miss, so by getting a guy that has solid potential with less financial drama associated with him gives us the ammo in the later rounds in the draft to hopefully find more gems.

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Agreed. The draft is hit and miss....with much much more miss, so by getting a guy that has solid potential with less financial drama associated with him gives us the ammo in the later rounds in the draft to hopefully find more gems.

Just like our ML payroll will automatically increase by $10M because of the new rules. After all, what else would Glass want to do with the money he had grown accustomed to spending?

siberian khatru
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Good stuff. Thanks.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Red meat on a Royals board. LMAO.

**** Appel!!!

No kidding, I had to shake off a cold mental shiver after reading that.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Zimmer's draft pic

https://p.twimg.com/Aulet2tCQAEZV66.jpg

Setsuna
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Had no idea about the draft. When did Zunino go?

duncan_idaho
06-04-2012, 06:41 PM

3rd to the Mariners.

I imagine their fans are shooting themselves right now. Saw many say they were really hoping to do anything BUT Zunino.

Appel to the Pirates... They probably get a 10-year ace and a good No. 2 out of Appel, Cole, and Taillon, with one guy busting.

Wonder if they'll go enough over slot to sign Appel, and risk losing picks...

JASONSAUTO
If the Royals determined that they just like Zimmer more than Appel for those makeup reasons then I am going to trust that decision.

They would know first hand.

Oh and fuck hoch.
Posted via Mobile Device

alnorth

3rd, the first 3 picks were position players, which pretty much guaranteed that the Royals would get a quality pitcher.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
3rd to the Mariners.

I imagine their fans are shooting themselves right now. Saw many say they were really hoping to do anything BUT Zunino.

Appel to the Pirates... They probably get a 10-year ace and a good No. 2 out of Appel, Cole, and Taillon, with one guy busting.

Wonder if they'll go enough over slot to sign Appel, and risk losing picks...

Since next year's draft is supposed to be better, the plan might be to offer slot, say "take it or leave it", and if he wont sign, the Pirates get a very high comp pick in a better draft.

duncan_idaho
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Since next year's draft is supposed to be better, the plan might be to offer slot, say "take it or leave it", and if he wont sign, the Pirates get a very high comp pick in a better draft.

Not a bad plan.

Not sure either the Royals or the Pirates can really afford to sit on a pick for the whole year, though... both need players.

DJ's left nut
06-04-2012, 06:55 PM

The alternative is easy:

Tie the available draft pools to FA spending.

The problem is that it levels the playing field in FA...the one area where cash-poor teams could've played a game of lower stakes poker, taken higher risks and out-played the big guns.

Now the large markets still have a massive advantage in free agency and the small market teams can't try to counter that by taking larger risks in the draft.

They've done nothing but close one of the few areas where there wasn't a clear discrepancy between what the large market teams and small market teams could do.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 06:58 PM
The alternative is easy:

Tie the available draft pools to FA spending.

The problem is that it levels the playing field in FA...the one area where cash-poor teams could've played a game of lower stakes poker, taken higher risks and out-played the big guns.

Now the large markets still have a massive advantage in free agency and the small market teams can't try to counter that by taking larger risks in the draft.

They've done nothing but close one of the few areas where there wasn't a clear discrepancy between what the large market teams and small market teams could do.

I meant alternative as in "status quo", not whatever we can dream up that the owners never had any intention of doing.

And that "unclear" discrepancy was going to transform into "woops, the large markets own that now, too" pretty soon.

Great Expectations
06-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Why worry about a lot of mileage on an arm if you are the Royals? If the guy lives up to expectations he wont throw a single pitch for the royals when he isin his 30's anyway.

duncan_idaho
06-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Why worry about a lot of mileage on an arm if you are the Royals? If the guy lives up to expectations he wont throw a single pitch for the royals when he isin his 30's anyway.

Because a lot of college pitchers have had their careers ruined by abuse in college.

There are several Rice pitchers who panned out that way. Brad Lincoln, who was in Hochevar's draft, is a guy who had his arm thrown off in college. Jeff Austin is a good local/Royals reference.

In Zimmer, the Royals get a guy who has the innings/background of a HS pitcher but is considerably more polished and mature. The kid went from backup 3B as a freshman, not pitching, to a consensus top 10 pick in two years.

It's not the ONLY thing to look at, but it definitely is a concern.

The things I like about Zimmer vs. Appel: Fastball is better, curveball is better, strikeout rate is much better, K:BB rate is insane. He also is a great athlete with a perfect pitcher's frame, which speaks highly for his ability to stay healthy over time.

Appel is much more polished and has a higher floor (worst-case scenario) than Zimmer.

The God Hypothesis
06-04-2012, 07:38 PM

We are a once great franchise back on the rise. The sky is no longer falling. Most of our young talent is locked up for the forseeable future. We are an ace away from being a legit contendor in the Central. Luckily this offseason is forecasted to be heavy on the available arms. Hang in there!! :thumb:

alnorth
06-04-2012, 07:38 PM
In Zimmer, the Royals get a guy who has the innings/background of a HS pitcher but is considerably more polished and mature. The kid went from backup 3B as a freshman, not pitching, to a consensus top 10 pick in two years.

It's not the ONLY thing to look at, but it definitely is a concern.

The things I like about Zimmer vs. Appel: Fastball is better, curveball is better, strikeout rate is much better, K:BB rate is insane. He also is a great athlete with a perfect pitcher's frame, which speaks highly for his ability to stay healthy over time.

Appel is much more polished and has a higher floor (worst-case scenario) than Zimmer.

Hadn't even considered that. There's almost no chance that Zimm was overworked.

The God Hypothesis
06-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Rany's take on his polish is interesting being that the guy has so few miles on the wing:

"Kyle Zimmer, a right-hander from the University of San Francisco, who might be the best college pitcher in the country on the right day. Zimmer didn’t even start pitching until college, but over the past year has elevated his draft stock as much as anyone in the country. Unlike Gausman, he has a fantastic curveball, but his changeup needs work. He doesn’t turn 21 until September, and the combination of relative youth and relative inexperience on the mound suggests there’s more to come. For a guy with so little experience pitching, he has uncanny polish – he has excellent command, fields his position well, all that good stuff."

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/

DeezNutz
06-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I meant alternative as in "status quo", not whatever we can dream up that the owners never had any intention of doing.

And that "unclear" discrepancy was going to transform into "woops, the large markets own that now, too" pretty soon.

Why? And why now? Why not in '10 when it (at the very least) became abundantly clear? The large markets were benevolent and wanted to give teams like the Royals a puncher's chance?

alnorth
06-04-2012, 07:47 PM
The large markets were benevolent and wanted to give teams like the Royals a puncher's chance?

Nope, and thats exactly my point. It was clear to some people, but last year was when it was clear to everyone that draft picks were a major market inefficiency, going from "why bother, its all a crapshoot anyway" to "huh... guess this is a pretty good investment"

The window was closing, and though this organization hasn't done much right, at least they took full advantage of that.

Infidel Goat
06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
http://www.montereyherald.com/state/ci_20781113/royals-pick-san-franciscos-zimmer-mlb-draft

"He was the No. 1 pitcher on our board. I think everyone should know that," said Lonnie Goldberg, the Royals' director of scouting. "He's the guy we wanted."

JASONSAUTO
06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Nope, and thats exactly my point. It was clear to some people, but last year was when it was clear to everyone that draft picks were a major market inefficiency, going from "why bother, its all a crapshoot anyway" to "huh... guess this is a pretty good investment"

The window was closing, and though this organization hasn't done much right, at least they took full advantage of that.
Your last sentence sums up what made the other teams take notice..

Like DAMN if the royals can do this we should be great at it.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenidol
06-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Mark Appel statement: "I'm currently concentrating on winning a national championship & finishing my academic endeavors at stanford. I will address the possibility of a professional career in due time."

Boras is already working his bullshit with the Pirates. Possibility my ass.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Mark Appel statement: "I'm currently concentrating on winning a national championship & finishing my academic endeavors at stanford. I will address the possibility of a professional career in due time."

Boras is already working his bullshit with the Pirates. Possibility my ass.

Pirates: *shrug* "fine, we'll have the #9 pick next year. We weren't going to win anytime soon without an offense anyway"

duncan_idaho
06-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Pirates: *shrug* "fine, we'll have the #9 pick next year. We weren't going to win anytime soon without an offense anyway"

Hmm...

There's that makeup thing I guess Schaum was talking about.

Next year's draft should be loaded, and Pirates have two top 10 picks. Guess things COULD be worse.

Shogun
06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Pirates should tank for Austin Meadows

Reaper16
06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Do the Pirates get a cap subsidy or something for next year IF Appel doesn't sign?

stevenidol
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Mark Appel is "not available" for conference call with Pittsburgh media, according to the Pirates.

duncan_idaho
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Do the Pirates get a cap subsidy or something for next year IF Appel doesn't sign?

You get cap space for each draft position. So if the Pirates have Nos. 5 and 9 next year, they will get cap space allotted accordingly (see: the Cardinals, who had the No. 17 pick in the draft and got salary cap credit for it).

Anyong Bluth
06-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Mark Appel is "not available" for conference call with Pittsburgh media, according to the Pirates.

See, and this is why people who would have wanted him shouldn't be pissed. F that twerp for blowing off the media as if you really have a valid excuse short of a death in the family or close friend.

Just reading up on Zimmer- I like his attitude, potential higher upside, fresh arm, etc.

Maybe he does or doesn't pan out, but for some reason it feels like the Moose pick revisited- when a number of people panned the pick as a reach and bc of signability vs other guys available and passed on. He's turned out to be a guy that's played pretty well & getting better & prob quieted some of his detractors...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

Sure-Oz
06-04-2012, 10:42 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/40622/274/top-mlb-draft-prospects

Over 19

1. Kyle Zimmer, RHP, San Francisco

With three offerings that already show average or better, in his fastball, power curve and changeup, Zimmer has the makings to be an above-average MLB starter. He didn’t start pitching full-time until his freshman year in college, and his velocity has fluctuated this season. It’s difficult to say if he’s been up-and-down because he’s still relatively new to pitching or for other reasons. Still, he’s very athletic and has No. 2 starter upside, which sounds pretty golden when you consider the other top amateurs who are eligible for the draft. Update: Drafted No. 5 overall by Royals.

2. Kevin Gausman, RHP, LSU

A draft-eligible sophomore, Gausman could be the oldest player taken inside the 2012 draft’s top 10 picks (Devin Marrero of ASU and Stephen Piscotty of Stanford are both older). He’s big and mechanical but he has above-average fastball velocity and pitches on an excellent plane. The ball also shoots out of his hand -- thanks to a good tempo and excellent arm speed -- and maintains velocity. He has a very live arm. His over-the-top arm slot helps him throw a power curveball that could become a plus offering. He also throws a slider and is comfortable throwing a changeup. Gausman could succeed in the big leagues this year as a reliever. His powerful arsenal and deception make him a potential No. 2 starter long-term. Update: Drafted No. 4 overall by Orioles.

3. Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford

Hearing about Appel’s raw stuff is more exciting than seeing him in action. And the knock on him has been that his stuff is better than the results. His mid-90s fastball, sharp-breaking slider and late-tumbling changeup all play down due to his lack of deception (Some pitchers hide the ball for the majority of their delivery; Appel shows it just about from start to finish). He also has a poor tempo, which makes him relatively easy to time. While he’s a pretty good bet to pitch in the big leagues, Appel may have trouble improving his deception and tempo at this stage of his development. There are more than three players in this draft class who have higher upsides than him. Update: Drafted No. 8 overall by Pirates.

4. Mike Zunino, C, Florida

College hitters are usually popular draft prospects. They move quickly and are more predictable than other profiles. Ryan Zimmerman, Troy Tulowitzki, Evan Longoria, Alex Gordon and Ryan Braun all arrived in the big leagues from college. Mike Zunino may be the best college bat in his class, though he doesn’t begin to compare to any of the college hitters list above. He’s also a lackluster athlete who can only play catcher or first base. He takes a good hand path to the ball and stays balanced and level, but he has a long swing that could be exploited in pro ball. Zunino’s value lies in his potential to be an average or better hitter for a catcher. Update: Drafted No. 3 overall by Mariners.

Sure-Oz
06-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Baseball America also had Zimmer as their top rated pitcher in the draft.

alnorth
06-04-2012, 11:32 PM
There's another wrinkle in the new system that hasn't been considered much for those thinking about doing the "just overpay a couple guys and get cheap players the rest of the 1st 10 rounds" strategy. If a player ends up not signing, that slotted amount disappears from your bonus pool. Players decide not to sign for all kinds of innocent non-Boras reasons, sometimes they want to go back to school because they like college or they are a high schooler who wants to go to college, or whatever.

For example, the Royals 4th round pick is slotted at $346,600. Lets say we took Appel with the thought of "oh, we'll just grab a 100k guy in the 4th round and another in a couple other rounds to afford a $4.5MM offer". If a few of those guys dont want to sign or spit on your lowball offer, that money goes away. Suddenly, that extra money you were planning on isn't there and your bonus pool is not $6.1MM any more, maybe with 2 guys not signing it drops to under $5.5MM.

If the Pirates are going to try to sign Appel (vs just taking a shot at picking him with the plan of just taking the pick next year if he walks), they'd have to wait till all their other draft picks sign first to be sure they have the money, because it only takes being over by 300-400K to lose your 1st round pick.

Deberg_1990
06-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Wow, looking at the history of Royals drafts tells me the MLB draft is even more of a crapshoot than the NFL draft is.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/04/3642175/royals-select-pitcher-zimmer-with.html

Infidel Goat
06-05-2012, 07:20 AM
I have no idea who we will pick in round 2, but my random guess is Chris Beck (Georgia Southern), another RHP who has starter potential.

Draft starts up again at noon (eastern), I think.

eazyb81
06-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Baseball America also had Zimmer as their top rated pitcher in the draft.

With the best fastball and third best curve.

If his changeup continues to improve he is going to be damn good.

Kyle DeLexus
06-05-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm excited about this kid after reading some of the reports on him. Any idea when we can expect him at the K? Since he just started pitching in college is it going to take longer than you'd normally expect?

Deberg_1990
06-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Any idea when we can expect him at the K?

2014 at the very earliest. most likely 2015.

Codered
06-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Zimmer is a much better pick then most of the pitchers we picked in the first round in the recent years ... Hochevar for example ... I am not sure who would have been a better pick between him and Appel. However, I liked both of them better then Gausman.

duncan_idaho
06-05-2012, 08:23 AM

This.

2012: Short-season ball
2013: High-A, Wilmington (with possible promotion to NWA if he does well at Wilmington, which he will. Pitcher's park)
2014: AAA-Omaha (possible promotion to MLB if he is awesome there)

Kyle DeLexus
06-05-2012, 08:25 AM

This is basically what I expected.

Deberg_1990
06-05-2012, 08:49 AM
This.

2012: Short-season ball
2013: High-A, Wilmington (with possible promotion to NWA if he does well at Wilmington, which he will. Pitcher's park)
2014: AAA-Omaha (possible promotion to MLB if he is awesome there)

This is basically what I expected.

Heh, yea this is what I was saying earlier about why the MLB draft isnít as exciting as the NFL or NBA drafts. These kids get drafted, then you wont hear about them for a few years. Those other leagues guys can come in and have immediate impacts. Just the nature of baseball.

Infidel Goat
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
2nd Round Pick

Sam Selman, LHP, Vanderbilt, 6' 3", 185 lbs, 22 years old.

From MLB.com:

The Vanderbilt lefty jumped between the rotation and the bullpen his first two years but has now solidified himself in the rotation. This year, he struck out more than a batter an inning and became Vanderbilt's most reliable starter. Selman has a fastball that sits in the low to mid 90s, but he has inconsistent secondary pitches that include a slider and a changeup. While he has had control problems, he does have a great demeanor on the mound that has helped him to work out of many jams. Whether he's willing to leave Vanderbilt and forego his senior season still remains to be seen.

KevB
06-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Here's a good breakdown of Selman's season. Sounds a bit dicey, but lefty's with 90+ MPH fastballs and two other pitches aren't easy to find.

Good Selman story (http://www.anchorofgold.com/2012/5/25/3043289/sam-selman-the-evolution-of-a-sec-pitcher-and-how-vandy-scrapped)

Infidel Goat
06-05-2012, 10:27 AM
KevB beat me to the other article.

It sounds like he's still a bit wild, but like KevB indicates--hard throwing lefties don't grow on trees.

Codered
06-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Don't know anything really about him. However, I like that they are adding college arms.

Infidel Goat
06-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I have no idea who we will pick in round 2, but my random guess is Chris Beck (Georgia Southern), another RHP who has starter potential.

Draft starts up again at noon (eastern), I think.

Beck went ten picks after Crazy Legs Sam Selman. Beck's a White Sox now and dead to me...

HemiEd
06-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Here's a good breakdown of Selman's season. Sounds a bit dicey, but lefty's with 90+ MPH fastballs and two other pitches aren't easy to find.

Good Selman story (http://www.anchorofgold.com/2012/5/25/3043289/sam-selman-the-evolution-of-a-sec-pitcher-and-how-vandy-scrapped)

Good read, thanks for posting.

KevB
06-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Baseball America had him rated as their 146th prospect. Not completely off the reservation, but also certainly not one of their top "best remaining".

alnorth
06-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Selman's flaw is control. (great, we've got a long history of solving control issues...) If he can fix that, then yeah, hard-throwing lefty. Not many of those guys exist.

He's also already got a baseball nickname, goes by "Crazy Legs" Selman

KevB
06-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Selman's flaw is control. (great, we've got a long history of solving control issues...) If he can fix that, then yeah, hard-throwing lefty. Not many of those guys exist.

He's also already got a baseball nickname, goes by "Crazy Legs" Selman

Dwyer 2.0

alnorth
06-05-2012, 10:56 AM
There were so many comp picks, that the Royals basically skipped the 2nd round, this should be viewed as a 3rd-rounder. We didn't have a true 2nd-round pick this year. This is the last year of the old comp pick system and a ton of teams took advantage of it. Next year's draft will have dramatically fewer comp picks (as in, probably less than 5)

Infidel Goat
06-05-2012, 11:07 AM
3rd Round Pick (100th pick)

Colin Rodgers, Parkview Baptist School, LHP, 6' 0", 185 lbs, 18 years old

No summary from MLB.com. Listed #207 with Baseball America.

chiefqueen
06-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Wow, looking at the history of Royals drafts tells me the MLB draft is even more of a crapshoot than the NFL draft is.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/04/3642175/royals-select-pitcher-zimmer-with.html

I don't the precise percentage but I heard that less than half of the first round picks will actually make it to the majors.

Setsuna
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
A lot of Gator signees got drafted. Hope they come to UF instead.

KevB
3rd Round Pick (100th pick)

Colin Rodgers, Parkview Baptist School, LHP, 6' 0", 185 lbs, 18 years old

No summary from MLB.com. Listed #207 with Baseball America.

Rodgers info (http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=252156)

alnorth
I don't the precise percentage but I heard that less than half of the first round picks will actually make it to the majors.

Well, more than half make it to the majors, but definitely less than half are successful long-term players. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, a correlation between success and draft pick still exists, but its definitely a lot weaker. 4th round and later, you literally should not care who got drafted (except for entertainment value if you are bored) until someone succeeds in high-A.

stevieray
06-05-2012, 11:33 AM
...right fielder named Owen from Tennesee get drafted yet?

alnorth
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
...right fielder named Owen from Tennesee get drafted yet?

I don't see an Owen in the draft tracker, or anywhere in baseball america's top 500

alnorth
06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
4th round has begun. Picks this low shouldn't excite/disappoint anyone, but still fun to see regardless.

alnorth
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Royals took SS from Stanford, was 2nd-round pick years ago who rejected $2MM from the Rays out of high school to go to Stanford.

edit: Kenneth Diekroeger

alnorth
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Dodgers just took a high school 1B from Raytown

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I've learned quite a bit from this thread. Never really cared to follow any draft after the first pick my team makes or know many/any of the prospects but since our time is................ here... I looked into a lot more... and by looking into it I mean I read this thread.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Dodgers just took a high school 1B from Raytown

The next Pujols out from under our noses.

alnorth
06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
The next Pujols out from under our noses.

#423 on BA's top-500. He was projected to be a double-digit rounder, so obviously the Dodgers think they know something and are scared that the secret's out with at least one other team.

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Ryan Ripken Has Worked Out For The Orioles
By Zach Wilt, on June 1st, 2012

For the Ripken’s, baseball is the family business. Cal Ripken Jr. followed his father’s footsteps and now his son Ryan is also hoping to make a career in baseball.

Ryan Ripken, a Senior at Gillman High School recently worked out for the Baltimore Orioles according to a tweet from Mel Antonen. Ryan played in the Under Armour All-America Baseball Game in 2011 at Wrigley Field and will reportedly play college ball in South Carolina.

The first baseman received several scholarships offers after hitting .353 during his junior year at Gillman.

Ryan, who stands tall at 6′ 6″, is also a local star on the basketball court.

He sounds just like a chip off the old block.

Be cool if the O's drafted him

MIAdragon
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
4th round has begun. Picks this low shouldn't excite/disappoint anyone, but still fun to see regardless.

This used to be the most exciting time, where the signability guys would get picked.

alnorth
06-05-2012, 12:20 PM
5th round starting soon. The difference in historical success between a 5th-rounder and a random double-digit rounder is very small, but still exists enough to note.

alnorth
06-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Royals 5th round pick (163rd overall): Chad Johnson

High school Catcher

#457 on BA's Top-500

MIAdragon
06-05-2012, 02:14 PM
LMAO Mark Appel and Boras turned down a $6 mil offer from the Astro's.

alnorth
06-05-2012, 02:57 PM

wow.

That is the freaking ceiling. He WONT improve on that next year, even if he's #1 overall. Well, unless they think a team was going to be willing to give up 2 2013 draft picks (lose your 1st and 2nd rounders if you go 10% over budget)

Unless Appel really, really loves Stanford, money meant nothing to him, and he had his heart set on graduating, this was an incredibly stupid decision.

AndChiefs
06-05-2012, 03:04 PM
wow.

That is the freaking ceiling. He WONT improve on that next year, even if he's #1 overall. Well, unless they think a team was going to be willing to give up 2 2013 draft picks (lose your 1st and 2nd rounders if you go 10% over budget)

Unless Appel really, really loves Stanford, money meant nothing to him, and he had his heart set on graduating, this was an incredibly stupid decision.

So glad we didnt' draft him now.

DeezNutz
06-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Royals took SS from Stanford, was 2nd-round pick years ago who rejected $2MM from the Rays out of high school to go to Stanford.

edit: Kenneth Diekroeger

If he doesn't fix his plant foot, he'll never hit for shit. He rolls it over onto the outside of the foot, which is odd to say the least because it looks uncomfortable as fuck.

Oddity aside, he's not staying firm on the front side and will thus always hit like a Hochevar (giant vagina).

alnorth
06-05-2012, 03:37 PM
wild-ass rumor, take it with a grain of salt, but if true it makes Boras seem slightly less stupid. (but still stupid, in this situation)

Some people are whispering that the idiots who run the Nationals were willing to burn their draft next year to get him, they were going to sign him to some eye-popping 8-figure bonus. If true, then its a tough decision. Take the 6 million guarantee, or roll the dice on the bigger deal.

Problem is Washington picked 14 or 15 I think? He'd need everyone above them to pass, and I'm sure Boras let every team know their insane demand to scare them off, but maybe the Pirates were savvy enough to stop it. Pirates have him in a tough spot, give him a take it or leave it offer, at worst they get roughly the same pick in a better deal.

alnorth
06-05-2012, 03:47 PM
And for no real reason except our amusement, here's our last (for today), probably-wont-do-anything, 10th round draft pick (#313 overall):

Alexis Rivera

High school OF

AndChiefs
06-05-2012, 03:58 PM
And for no real reason except our amusement, here's our last (for today), probably-wont-do-anything, 10th round draft pick (#313 overall):

Alexis Rivera

High school OF

Alexis huh? First female to make the majors?

Reaper16
06-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Zimmer is a long-toss guy. Maybe Dayton's Royals really are coming around on that issue.

Infidel Goat
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM

I hope his arm falls off pitching for Stanford next year and he has to earn a living like the rest of us.

alnorth
06-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Zimmer is a long-toss guy. Maybe Dayton's Royals really are coming around on that issue.

They hired a pretty well-known long-toss advocate as their minor league director of pitching late last year. I think its safe to say that their philosophy has shifted quite a bit.

Fish
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Fuck Scott Boras....

alnorth
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
**** Scott Boras....

Thats what Appel should be muttering right now. He just lost a lot of money because the Pirates cant even match that $6MM the Astros were going to give him, more like half that.

The rest of us can laugh at Boras, since we probably got a better pitcher anyway.

Saul Good
06-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I hope his arm falls off pitching for Stanford next year and he has to earn a living like the rest of us.

Boras will guarantee him money.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-05-2012, 09:06 PM
No embed for the middle video... it's some more family reaction at the home.

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=22020111&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22030141&topic_id=8877722&c_id=kc&tcid=vpp_copy_22030141&v=3

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=22021407&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>