PDA

View Full Version : Royals Notebook: Six Royals among leaders in All-Star balloting

Deberg_1990
06-05-2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/05/3643105/six-royals-among-leaders-in-all.html

Are the Royals getting a balloting boost from serving as host this year to the All-Star Game? Six players were among the leaders at their positions Tuesday when Major League Baseball released its first voting update.
Six!

The Royals, in recent years, rarely had a single player cited among the leaders. They have not had a player voted in as a starter since outfielder Jermaine Dye in 2000. The game this year is July 10 at Kauffman Stadium.

Itís not all good news: None of the Royals are near the top of balloting at their positions.
Shortstop Alcides Escobar and designated hitter Billy Butler rank fourth; third baseman Mike Moustakas and second baseman Chris Getz rank fifth; and outfielders Jeff Francoeur and Alex Gordon rank 10th and 13th.

Major League Baseball only releases the top five vote-getters for infielders, catchers and designated hitters. It lists the top 15 outfielders. Updates will continue each week in June; the rosters will be announced July 1 in a national cablecast on TBS.

Francoeur is the Royal closest to winning a starting spot but trails Nelson Cruz of Texas by 570,688 votes for the third place. Butler is 727,647 behind Bostonís David Ortiz for duty as the starting DH.

Two former Royals outfielders are among the National League leaders: Carlos Beltran of St. Louis is in line for a starting job at No. 2, while San Franciscoís Melky Cabrera ranks fifth.
The current leaders for both leagues:

First base: (AL) Prince Fielder, Detroit; (NL) Joey Votto, Cincinnati.
Second base: (AL) Ian Kinsler, Texas; (NL) Dan Uggla, Atlanta.
Shortstop: (AL) Derek Jeter, New York; (NL) Troy Tulowitzki, Colorado.
Third base: (AL) Adrian Beltre, Texas; (NL) David Wright, New York.
Catcher: (AL) Mike Napoli, Texas; (NL) Yadier Molina, St. Louis.
Designated hitter: (AL) David Ortiz, Boston; (NL) not applicable
Outfielders: (AL) Josh Hamilton, Texas; Curtis Granderson, New York; and Nelson Cruz, Texas; (NL) Matt Kemp, Los Angeles; Carlos Beltran, St. Louis; and Ryan Braun, Milwaukee.

DeezNutz
06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Getz fifth at second base is an embarrassment to all things KC.

Zeke
06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
he shouldn't even be a Major Leaguer.

KCrockaholic
06-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Butler, Escobar, and Moustakas are the only ones who deserve any all-star votes

RockChalk
06-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Getz fifth at second base is an embarrassment to all things KC.

This would help prove what a joke that voting starters is anyways. It would awesome for a 'Vote Chris Getz' campaign to go viral and get him voted into the game as a starter.

Would Washington pull him after one inning? one play? one pitch?

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Getz must be rigging a poll somewhere.

Ceej
06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm willing to bet KC only gets one All-Star this year.

Country Breakfast baby.

sedated
06-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Escobar has certainly played like one so far. Shame there are so many bigger names out there, though.

We could dominate the bullpen. Broxton, Collins, Mijares, Herrera, and possibly Crow have the numbers to support a spot.

sedated
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm willing to bet KC only gets one All-Star this year.

Country Breakfast baby.

Iím betting we get 1 position player, 1 reliever, and 1 guy in the HR derby.

Ceej
06-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Iím betting we get 1 position player, 1 reliever, and 1 guy in the HR derby.

A reliever would probably make sense too.

I guess CB in the Derby could make sense; although I'm not sure any KC'er should make it.

mr. tegu
06-05-2012, 03:59 PM
I’m betting we get 1 position player, 1 reliever, and 1 guy in the HR derby.

This sounds about right. Although I am not sure it would be good for Butler to be in the HR derby given a lot of guys struggle after participating in it.

mr. tegu
06-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I would like to see Collins get an inning in the game.

MoreLemonPledge
06-05-2012, 04:03 PM
MOOOOOOOOOOOSE

gblowfish
06-05-2012, 04:12 PM
No Royal starter will be voted in. No way, no how.
We might get Moose or Butler and maybe one pitcher like Chen or Broxton. No more than two, that's fo sho.

There'll be at least three former Royals on the NL team: Melky, Greinke and Beltran.

Ceej
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
If there was only a Double Derby -- Billy would be a sure-fire front runner.

JASONSAUTO
06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
No Royal starter will be voted in. No way, no how.
We might get Moose or Butler and maybe one pitcher like Chen or Broxton. No more than two, that's fo sho.

There'll be at least three former Royals on the NL team: Melky, Greinke and Beltran.

lol at the shit george cries about.

Stewie
06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
The Royals players "in the mix" are hundreds of thousands of votes out of the running. Most are 4th or 5th in balloting which doesn't mean jack shit unless it's coming from the Royals' PR machine.

gblowfish
06-05-2012, 04:55 PM
lol at the shit george cries about.

There's no crying in baseball, wtf are you talking about?

I'm just stating an opinion. NO Royals starting player will be a balloted starter. You can only make a case for Butler, Moose or Escobar -none of them are well known enough in MLB to be voted in-.

I think we'll get either Moose or Butler, and whoever doesn't get picked, the other will probably be in Home Run Derby.

On the pitching side, they'll probably take Broxton because his stats look good. I think the Royals will get two guys because MLB won't want the "host team" to only have one token guy on the squad.

And btw, kiss my lemony fresh ass, you pompous douche-nozzle.

Ceej
06-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I don't think Alcides Nuts or Moose will get in just because a lot of people outside of KC know much about them.

I'm willing to bet Billy and one of our relief pitchers; because they're admittedly KC's strongest core.

Stewie
06-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't think Alcides Nuts or Moose will get in just because a lot of people outside of KC know much about them.

I'm willing to bet Billy and one of our relief pitchers; because they're admittedly KC's strongest core.

If the Royals only have one player on the team, the minimum, it would be a total embarrassment for the host team. Ron Washington will be pressured to have two or three Royals on the roster.

Ceej
06-05-2012, 05:33 PM
If the Royals only have one player on the team, the minimum, it would be a total embarrassment for the host team. Ron Washington will be pressured to have two or three Royals on the roster.

Ehhh, I see where you're coming from. But as a fan of the franchise I wouldn't be embarrassed if the Royals get one or two All Star players.

Most All Star games are a big popularity, ego contest anyway.

Stewie
06-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Ehhh, I see where you're coming from. But as a fan of the franchise I wouldn't be embarrassed if the Royals get one or two All Star players.

Most All Star games are a big popularity, ego contest anyway.

I'm a huge Royals' fan and yes, fans vote for the popular and well-known players. To say that there are several Royals' players among the top vote-getters is a joke. The only way we get more than one player in the mix is if Ron Washington adds players.

Ceej
06-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm a huge Royals' fan and yes, fans vote for the popular and well-known players. To say that there are several Royals' players among the top vote-getters is a joke. The only way we get more than one player in the mix is if Ron Washington adds players.

I agree.

I believe Butler is the most deserving at this moment. And maybe one of the RP'ers.

Moose is just about there. Which is pretty awesome considering he's in his first full year at 3rd.