PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Should Theaters Collect Cell Phones From Customers Before Movies Begin

Bowser
06-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I've had this thought for awhile, and reading how they had everyone give up their phones before they went in to see an advanced screening of Prometheus got me thinking about it some more. I understand how having a phone is handy and convienient, especially if someone is trying to reach you in case of an emergency, but there are frankly just too many people that just don't giv e adman if they are being a distraction by talking or texting during a movie.

What say you?

BigRichard
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
There are ways to block signals. They should just install devices to do so and put up signs stating such.

L.A. Chieffan
06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Ja, and then zee puts them in zee showers! Ja!

Bowser
06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
There are ways to block signals. They should just install devices to do so and put up signs stating such.

Aren't there legalities involved with that? I think I remember AustinChief posting some info on that not terribly long ago. Something along the lines of only law enforcement officials are allowed to use that equipment?

Other than that, I think your idea is a great one. Or at the very least, a great start.

L.A. Chieffan
06-06-2012, 11:45 AM
high end posh restaurants use those blocker things

Setsuna
06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Where is the "no, but everyone in the theater has the right to call that person a degenerate fuck face for it."? Thread fail.

Bowser
06-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Where is the "no, but everyone in the theater has the right to call that person a degenerate fuck face for it."? Thread fail.

It's implied.

Pestilence
06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
No.

I don't ever use my cell phone during a movie....but my wife and I have ours on us in case we get an emergency call about the kids.

Predarat
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
If they can magage to use it without disturbing others fine but most cannot. Plus the constant flashing is irritating. But I don't like the idea of them being taken.

Buck
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Because you should have to wait 2 extra hours to find out your kid is ded.

Munson
06-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Only if you are under 18. That would solve most of the problems.

Silock
06-06-2012, 12:11 PM
No. Absolutely not.

Kyle DeLexus
06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Who is going to guarantee that no one is going to look through my texts and pics. Do you really want some random 15 year old going through everything on your phone?

Setsuna
06-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Only if you are under 18. That would solve most of the problems.

This x 1000000.

-King-
06-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Because you should have to wait 2 extra hours to find out your kid is ded.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

BCD
06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Fuck no. Its my property.

They should, however, remove people who violate this rule if customers complain.

Buehler445
06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Fuck no. Its my property.

They should, however, remove people who violate this rule if customers complain.

This would be preferable to me. But I think if a theater wants to yoink them they should be able to. I just won't send any patronage their direction. If its a moneymaker for them it's their call.

Micjones
06-06-2012, 01:13 PM
The problem is overstated. I go to the movies 3-4 times a month and I can't remember the last time I heard a cell phone ring let alone answered.

Besides, it's not the only distraction that exists in theaters.
Should parents also fork over noisy kids? What about the guy who eats popcorn louder than normal? What about people who fall asleep (and snore) in theaters?

If there's an issue, grab an usher and be done with it.

keg in kc
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
No, but anybody who leaves one on during a movie should be quietly excused from the premises.

As far as snoring goes, during the premiere weekend of Spider-Man 1 there was a dude in front of my ex-wife and myself who was so stoned that he snored through the entire film, with his friends laughing at him the whole time. Ruined the fucking movie for a whole bunch of people, and he/they never got kicked out.

Other fun movie experience was during the first LotR film. Either 10 pm or midnight showing, don't remember which, and some dimwit brought in an infant. Which started crying 3 seconds into the film. Fortunately she was shown out by the ushers, but screaming about it the whole time.

Mugalug
06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Better than blocking the signal would be a signal that makes all phones ring. An on screen announcement about putting all phones on silent, followed by the all phone ring signal, followed by a "This means you too, dumbass" message. Yeah, that should work.

Buehler445
06-06-2012, 01:45 PM
No, but anybody who leaves one on during a movie should be quietly excused from the premises.

As far as snoring goes, during the premiere weekend of Spider-Man 1 there was a dude in front of my ex-wife and myself who was so stoned that he snored through the entire film, with his friends laughing at him the whole time. Ruined the fucking movie for a whole bunch of people, and he/they never got kicked out.

Other fun movie experience was during the first LotR film. Either 10 pm or midnight showing, don't remember which, and some dimwit brought in an infant. Which started crying 3 seconds into the film. Fortunately she was shown out by the ushers, but screaming about it the whole time.

That's a good point. I don't remember the last time some assbag got a phone out, but people excercising general dumbassery in the theater. For instance, during the Avengers, these parents let their kid wear THE BRIGHTEST shoes I've ever seen. That little varmint lit up the whole fucking walkway. And of course had to go to the bathroom or whatever SIX FUCKING times. That's way more intrusive than texting. If there's even been any at recent movies I've been to.

BCD
06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Other fun movie experience was during the first LotR film. Either 10 pm or midnight showing, don't remember which, and some dimwit brought in an infant. Which started crying 3 seconds into the film. Fortunately she was shown out by the ushers, but screaming about it the whole time.I would say this experience would only enhance this pile of shit franchise. :evil:

mr. tegu
06-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Who is going to guarantee that no one is going to look through my texts and pics. Do you really want some random 15 year old going through everything on your phone?

Exactly my thoughts. I cannot remember the last time I saw a movie where a cell phone was the problem. I don't typically have any issues and when there are issues it's usually just some noisy or obnoxious people.

keg in kc
06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Texting has been a problem for me a few times.

Frazod
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
No way am I handing my phone over to some minimum wage movie theater flunky. However, I do believe that people who take calls, run their mouths or have screaming brats with them should be ejected from the theater quickly.

Munson
06-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Its not that much of a problem if you wait to go three weeks after the movie came out. But if you want to go see it on the opening weekend, its almost guaranteed that some jackass is gonna talk/text/disrupt the movie. There is always a group of teenagers being obnoxious. And its not surprising when someone brings a crying baby or misbehaving toddler, and won't have the decency to GTFO. They'd rather ruin the movie for everybody else.

Frazod
06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
As I've mentioned a few times before, I go to a theater that serves real food and alcoholic beverages. The wonderful side effect of this is that there are NO UNSUPERVISED BRATS/PUNKS UNDER AGE 21 in the theater without their parents. It is wonderful - I've been to around ten movies there so far and have yet to have one interrupted by any douchery.

Micjones
06-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Talking on a phone can be a distraction, but someone checking a text message?
That wouldn't bother me at all.

I really don't like the idea of someone sitting 7 rows back running to get an usher because I looked down quickly to check a text message. I doubt seriously that the average texter distracts anyone at all.

mr. tegu
06-06-2012, 02:56 PM

I really don't like the idea of someone sitting 7 rows back running to get an usher because I looked down quickly to check a text message. I doubt seriously that the average texter distracts anyone at all.

If they turn down their brightness on their phone then no probably not, but for those that do not, its like a lighthouse beacon.

Fish
06-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I think theaters should hire an angry Asian man in 3D glasses who will punch you and/or your kid in the face if you interrupt the movie...

keg in kc
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
If they turn down their brightness on their phone then no probably not, but for those that do not, its like a lighthouse beacon.Yeah, that's exactly the problem. It's like turning on a flashlight in the middle of a movie.

Brock
06-06-2012, 04:04 PM

You're part of the problem, congrats.

BigRedChief
06-06-2012, 08:23 PM
No way am I handing my phone over to some minimum wage movie theater flunky. However, I do believe that people who take calls, run their mouths or have screaming brats with them should be ejected from the theater quickly.This. I'm on call 24/7. I put the phone on vibrate.Work calls, I go outside. You forget to put it on vibrate, that should be an immediate ejection.

Kyle DeLexus
06-06-2012, 08:33 PM
This. I'm on call 24/7. I put the phone on vibrate.Work calls, I go outside. You forget to put it on vibrate, that should be an immediate ejection.

Yes it should since they tell you to before the movie. The last time I went to the theater some old bag had her phone going off so she just silenced the call and put it back in her purse. Turns out someone really wanted to talk to her so they called two more times before she got up to take it. The same dumbass lady and the people she was with were talking the first hour of the movie. I finally got up and moved to a different seat where I couldn't hear her.

Guru
06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I would love to see people get ejected from the theater for being a constant disruption to everyone else. The problem there is finding the usher willing to do it.

I have never seen an usher do shit here in topeka. Hell, I had to inform them three damn times that there was no picture on screen before they finally did something. I went to the manager after the movie and he just acted like it was no biggie.

I hate the theaters in our city. All 2 of them.

Guru
06-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Oh, and to those saying texting isn't a distraction, you are dead wrong. These damn cell phone abusers today will sit there and spend more time texting than watching the movie. They should all be shot.

Frazod
06-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Oh, and to those saying texting isn't a distraction, you are dead wrong. These damn cell phone abusers today will sit there and spend more time texting than watching the movie. They should all be shot.

And get off his lawn! :D

BCD
06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
This. I'm on call 24/7. I put the phone on vibrate.Work calls, I go outside. You forget to put it on vibrate, that should be an immediate ejection.Yeah, there is no excuse for forgetting to silence your phone. They warn you like 3 times on screen.

Guru
06-06-2012, 09:06 PM
And get off his lawn! :D

I'll take up that mantle when Bug retires.

Silock
06-07-2012, 01:01 AM
As I've mentioned a few times before, I go to a theater that serves real food and alcoholic beverages. The wonderful side effect of this is that there are NO UNSUPERVISED BRATS/PUNKS UNDER AGE 21 in the theater without their parents. It is wonderful - I've been to around ten movies there so far and have yet to have one interrupted by any douchery.

This. Except at the CinemaSuites at AMC, you can't get in if you're under 21, even with a parent. So, no babies or kids, no matter what. Fork and Screen is 18 and over or with a guardian, though, so it's a little bit better than a standard theater, but nowhere near CinemaSuites awesomeness.

However, it's a bit more expensive, and that's why we have a theater room in our basement. Wait a couple more months to see a movie, and we get to see it on a big screen where we can pump up the volume or pause as much as we want. And it's cheaper to just buy the movie than get tickets at this point.

Demonpenz
06-07-2012, 03:43 AM
You go out with the assholes, prepared to deal with them, or stay in and use that 4 head vcr you worked so hard to buy.

Predarat
06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I remember those damn pagers in the 90s, more fucking annoying then anything, then they always get up to go to a payphone and interupt the movie.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 11:28 AM
If they turn down their brightness on their phone then no probably not, but for those that do not, its like a lighthouse beacon.

I suppose it depends on how close you are to said person.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
You're part of the problem, congrats.

:rolleyes:

The fact that you even consider it a "problem" is telling.

Brock
06-07-2012, 11:39 AM

The fact that you don't know you're being rude and inconsiderate is telling and very unsurprising, TBH.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
The fact that you don't know you're being rude and inconsiderate is telling and very unsurprising, TBH.

I always sit in a secluded area of the theater.
My reaching down to send a text isn't bothering anyone 2 or 3 rows back.
The problem is the sense of entitlement you think comes along with a movie ticket.

Pestilence
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Seriously?

You're getting text messages that are so important that they can't wait until the movie is done?

It IS a problem because the people who are texting in the theater....aren't just CHECKING their messages....they're responding to them as well.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Seriously?

You're getting text messages that are so important that they can't wait until the movie is done?

Yeah, that's much more asinine than the idea that some random guy can be the arbiter of how important MY text messages are.

It IS a problem because the people who are texting in the theater....aren't just CHECKING their messages....they're responding to them as well.

Again, unless you're on the same row or in the rows directly in front or behind...a texter isn't distracting you from anything.

You're just opposed to the idea of it.
And that's something altogether different.

I've been distracted before in a theater, but never by a text message.
EVER. And I go about 3-4 times a month.

Fish
06-07-2012, 11:51 AM
The problem is the sense of entitlement you think comes along with a movie ticket.

I think you underestimate how much the light from your phone can disturb others. Even if you're quiet about it.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
I think you underestimate how much the light from your phone can disturb others. Even if you're quiet about it.

I know how bright a phone can be, but there's enough light in a theater (already) that a phone isn't going to jolt anybody.

Can it be a distraction? Absolutely. But again that depends on the situation.

If I'm sitting next to someone who's texting...
I would notice and it would bother me.

If I'm 4 rows back?
I'm probably not even going to notice.

Fish
06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I know how bright a phone can be, but there's enough light in a theater (already) that a phone isn't going to jolt anybody.

I really disagree. It's not just about ambient light already present. My eyes are already adjusted to that. When someone opens their phone, it's always enough to distract my attention from the movie to the offender. And you can't just say you sit away from others so it's OK. Many times there's nowhere to sit to get away from other people.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I really disagree. It's not just about ambient light already present. My eyes are already adjusted to that. When someone opens their phone, it's always enough to distract my attention from the movie to the offender. And you can't just say you sit away from others so it's OK. Many times there's nowhere to sit to get away from other people.

I can only tell you about my own personal experience.
When I go to the movies, I regularly sit alone. There's almost never a time where I'm sitting close to someone else. Partly because it affords me the kind of peace that's being called for in this discussion.

I suppose we can just agree to disagree.
I think this is ultimately an issue about our own personal feelings about movie theater distractions. And I think those feelings inform just how sensitive we are to those distractions.

As someone who's ALWAYS in movie theaters...I can recount very few experiences where a phone was a distraction. Walkers, talkers, noisy kids? Sure. A cell phone? Almost never.

mr. tegu
06-07-2012, 12:06 PM
I can only tell you about my own personal experience.
When I go to the movies, I regularly sit alone. There's almost never a time where I'm sitting close to someone else. Partly because it affords me the kind of peace that's being called for in this discussion.

I suppose we can just agree to disagree.
I think this is ultimately an issue about our own personal feelings about movie theater distractions. And I think those feelings inform just how sensitive we are to those distractions.

As someone who's ALWAYS in movie theaters...I can recount very few experiences where a phone was a distraction. Walkers, talkers, noisy kids? Sure. A cell phone? Almost never.

Perhaps your own use of a cell phone prevents you from noticing them in the theaters as much as some of us do.

I easily noitce phones from 20 rows back even if the person is only 15 feet from the screen. There is no other light coming from that area and then all of the sudden it is right there and magnified because of the darkness of the surrounding area.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Perhaps your own use of a cell phone prevents you from noticing them in the theaters as much as some of us do.

Yeah, that 20 seconds it takes me to read a text message makes me oblivious to what's going on the other 119 minutes (and 40 seconds) of a film's run time. That's brilliant.

I easily noitce phones from 20 rows back even if the person is only 15 feet from the screen. There is no other light coming from that area and then all of the sudden it is right there and magnified because of the darkness of the surrounding area.

If a cell phone 60 feet away is disturbing your film-watching experience...
You have a far bigger problem.

Brock
06-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Yes, the sense of entitlement that I get from purchasing a ticket and thinking I will be able to view a movie without some idiot uncorking his portable flashlight and thinking nobody else can see it.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Yes, the sense of entitlement that I get from purchasing a ticket and thinking I will be able to view a movie without some idiot uncorking his portable flashlight and thinking nobody else can see it.

That's a straw argument.
We're debating whether or not it's a distraction.
Whether or not it's noticeable is something quite different.

If I look over and notice you nose-fishing, should you be removed from the theater for that? Being annoyed by something someone does in a theater doesn't make it a distraction.

Guru
My experience was with a person sitting right next to me. They wouldn't stop texting for the entire movie and the ushers wouldn't do shit about it.. Thats fine if you go out of your way to sit in a part of the theater where nobody else is but not everyone thinks like you Mic.

But don't sit here and tell me that texting isn't a distraction in the theater because it fucking is.

Guru
My experience was with a person sitting right next to me. They wouldn't stop texting for the entire movie and the ushers wouldn't do shit about it.. Thats fine if you go out of your way to sit in a part of the theater where nobody else is but not everyone thinks like you Mic.

But don't sit here and tell me that texting isn't a distraction in the theater because it fucking is.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 12:28 PM
My experience was with a person sitting right next to me.

I conceded that a texter nearby would be a distraction.
There's no conflict over that point.

But don't sit here and tell me that texting isn't a distraction in the theater because it ****ing is.

In that particular situation, absolutely.

Predarat
06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
The real question is, if you saw Candy Wrappers on the floor of a movie theatre, would you pick them up and throw them away, or would you just leave them on the floor. If you are the kind that would pick them up and throw them away, please send your resume to Scott_Pioli@KCChiefs.com. We need to talk.

mr. tegu
06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, that 20 seconds it takes me to read a text message makes me oblivious to what's going on the other 119 minutes (and 40 seconds) of a film's run time. That's brilliant.

If a cell phone 60 feet away is disturbing your film-watching experience...
You have a far bigger problem.

No it just means that your brain is conditioned to not notice something like that since it is not something you deem worthy of notice. It is not speculation either. It is just the truth regarding how a person's brain functions. Your neurons are wired to fire from certain stimuli and for you a person's phone likely does not fit that bill, especially at a distance.

And as I said, that phone 60 feet away is RIGHT in my field of sight. You can't not notice it. The bigger problem I have is apparently people like you sitting near the screen using their phone.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I went to see "Battleship" last week.
Had a guy skip over a half-dozen rows of empty seats to park it in the row behind me (one seat left of me). Annoyed the SHIT out of me, but I just got up and moved. That guy had every right to sit there.

There's a difference between being distracted and seeing someone do something you disapprove of.

Guru
06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I went to see "Battleship" last week.
Had a guy skip over a half-dozen rows of empty seats to park it in the row behind me (one seat left of me). Annoyed the SHIT out of me, but I just got up and moved. That guy had every right to sit there.

There's a difference between being distracted and seeing someone do something you disapprove of.

What was he doing that annoyed you though? surely it was more than just sitting there.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
No it just means that your brain is conditioned to not notice something like that since it is not something you deem worthy of notice.

Apple meet orange.

The issue is not whether or not a pesky texter is noticeable to other people in the theater. Not sure how we keep getting hung up on this point. The issue is whether or not said texter is a distraction. And I think I've outlined a reasonable set of conditions that would make that the case.

It is not speculation either. It is just the truth regarding how a person's brain functions. Your neurons are wired to fire from certain stimuli and for you a person's phone likely does not fit that bill, especially at a distance.

You really just made this a neurological issue?

And as I said, that phone 60 feet away is RIGHT in my field of sight. You can't not notice it. The bigger problem I have is apparently people like you sitting near the screen using their phone.

That's irrelevant. Seeing a cellphone 60 feet away does not constitute a distraction. It makes YOU so anal about controlling the movie-watching environment, that you should probably wait until the movie hits a local Redbox and watch it at home.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
What was he doing that annoyed you though? surely it was more than just sitting there.

Just sitting there.

I hate it when people sit near me.
Especially when there are plenty of empty seats available.
Another tick in the "things White people do that I don't get" column.

But again, me being annoyed ultimately amounts to very little.
He had every right to sit there.

Buehler445
06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Just sitting there.

[b]Another tick in the "things White people do that I don't get" column. [\b]

ROFL

Guru
06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Just sitting there.

Another tick in the "things White people do that I don't get" column.

I just wish people would at least take a look behind them before they sit down. It never fails, we get there somewhat early to get the seats we prefer and some 6 foot + tall dude will always sit in front of my 5'2" wife instead of me. Not a huge deal but how hard is it to check behind you. I know I do. Guess I just care too much about others though.

Micjones
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
I just wish people would at least take a look behind them before they sit down. It never fails, we get there somewhat early to get the seats we prefer and some 6 foot + tall dude will always sit in front of my 5'2" wife instead of me. Not a huge deal but how hard is it to check behind you. I know I do. Guess I just care too much about others though.

It's harmless really, but it annoys the shit out of me.
I really prefer to be 2 rows away from everyone else.
That's why I tend to prefer matinee showings. Fewer people. And cheaper prices.
:thumb:

mr. tegu
06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Apple meet orange.

The issue is not whether or not a pesky texter is noticeable to other people in the theater. Not sure how we keep getting hung up on this point. The issue is whether or not said texter is a distraction. And I think I've outlined a reasonable set of conditions that would make that the case.

I am not sure how this is a hang up either. I think me as well as others have made it clear that a person using their cell phone is a distraction. For you it requires more of a close encounter, but considering you are someone who uses their cell phone, it is no surprise that is your opinion. To each his own. I can't be distracted if I don't first notice it.

You really just made this a neurological issue?

You missed the point. I said you may not notice other's phones in the theaters as easily since you yourself use yours. Your response was sarcastic and dismissive so I decided to explain to you a possible reason for this which has a lot to do with brain functioning and nothing to do with time spent on your phone which was the way you put it. This is besides the point but to play devil's advocate, is not everything on some level a neurological issue?

That's irrelevant. Seeing a cellphone 60 feet away does not constitute a distraction. It makes YOU so anal about controlling the movie-watching environment, that you should probably wait until the movie hits a local Redbox and watch it at home.

So now you are determining what I consider a distraction? The act of noticing something out of the ordinary when it is right in my line of sight is a distraction. I won't complain unless it gets out of hand or lasts for a while but for that moment it is still a distraction, however temporary it may be. Someone could be right behind me texting through the entire movie but that would not be a distraction for me because I wouldn't notice it, but if that person is right between me and the screen, regardless of distance, it is easily noticable and becomes distracting.

But as I eluded to, I will give them once or twice before I personally start to get annoyed because things happen, but I can certainly understand how others would be annoyed by the first instance. Essentially this is about consideration for others and if you are texting in the clear line of vision of other people you are being inconsiderate. ("You" in general, not you specifically since you said you sit away from people and out of their ways).

Micjones
06-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I am not sure how this is a hang up either. I think me as well as others have made it clear that a person using their cell phone is a distraction. For you it requires more of a close encounter, but considering you are someone who uses their cell phone, it is no surprise that is your opinion. To each his own. I can't be distracted if I don't first notice it.

It should be noted that no one's provided any real arguments for why it's a distraction (for someone not sitting in close proximity to the offender). Most of what we've heard are objections to the idea of texting in a movie theater. Which, again, is something altogether different from a "distraction".

You missed the point. I said you may not notice other's phones in the theaters as easily since you yourself use yours. Your response was sarcastic and dismissive so I decided to explain to you a possible reason for this which has a lot to do with brain functioning and nothing to do with time spent on your phone which was the way you put it. This is besides the point but to play devil's advocate, is not everything on some level a neurological issue?

Let's try to keep the conversation coherent and focused.
Talking in abstract terms about the neurology involved in noticing a movie theater texter, might be a longer conversation than either of us has time for.

So now you are determining what I consider a distraction? The act of noticing something out of the ordinary when it is right in my line of sight is a distraction.

I'm in no real position to tell you what's "distracting" to you, but you might wanna do a better job of explaining WHY it's a distraction.

Otherwise it becomes entirely arbitrary.

I won't complain unless it gets out of hand or lasts for a while but for that moment it is still a distraction, however temporary it may be. Someone could be right behind me texting through the entire movie but that would not be a distraction for me because I wouldn't notice it, but if that person is right between me and the screen, regardless of distance, it is easily noticable and becomes distracting.

I tend to hold my phone right around my waist when I check a text message.
I sincerely doubt you'd notice that if you were 4-5 rows behind me.

But as I eluded to, I will give them once or twice before I personally start to get annoyed because things happen, but I can certainly understand how others would be annoyed by the first instance. Essentially this is about consideration for others and if you are texting in the clear line of vision of other people you are being inconsiderate. ("You" in general, not you specifically since you said you sit away from people and out of their ways).

Ultimately, these kinds of demands strain the concept of the "public square" too much for my taste. If you need that much freedom from the actions of other people, that you deem distracting, you'd be better served just staying at home. You'll only drive yourself crazy trying to control those uncontrollables.

Guru
06-07-2012, 02:52 PM
It's harmless really, but it annoys the shit out of me.
I really prefer to be 2 rows away from everyone else.
That's why I tend to prefer matinee showings. Fewer people. And cheaper prices.
:thumb:

I love going to the noon showings. You have the entire theater to yourself half the time.

mr. tegu
06-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm in no real position to tell you what's "distracting" to you, but you might wanna do a better job of explaining WHY it's a distraction.

Otherwise it becomes entirely arbitrary.

Im not sure I can other than to just say it is a distraction because it draws my attention away from the movie which I am trying to focus on. It is an unexpected intrusion on my field of vision. But as I said, I won't get too bent out of shape over one or two instances from an individual, but if they persist it gets old fast.

I tend to hold my phone right around my waist when I check a text message.
I sincerely doubt you'd notice that if you were 4-5 rows behind me.

I agree completely. That close to me you are not in my field of vision and your phone would not be noticeable given the the angles and all that stuff which I assume you know what I mean. But again, if someone is up in the front and I am up in the raised seating, their phone is right in my line of sight and is really hard to miss.

Ultimately, these kinds of demands strain the concept of the "public square" too much for my taste. If you need that much freedom from the actions of other people, that you deem distracting, you'd be better served just staying at home. You'll only drive yourself crazy trying to control those uncontrollables.

I don't think its too demanding. To me it is just common decency and consideration towards your fellow man. It is an acknowledgment that others present may or may not appreciate your actions and that you can understand that to the point of showing some respect and consideration. And if something comes up and requires sustained attention beyond a brief moment during the movie you care enough to step outside.

Micjones
06-08-2012, 06:47 AM
I love going to the noon showings. You have the entire theater to yourself half the time.

It's pretty awesome. I think I may indulge myself in an early showing of "Snow White and The Huntsman" tomorrow.

Micjones
06-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Im not sure I can other than to just say it is a distraction because it draws my attention away from the movie which I am trying to focus on. It is an unexpected intrusion on my field of vision. But as I said, I won't get too bent out of shape over one or two instances from an individual, but if they persist it gets old fast.

I agree completely. That close to me you are not in my field of vision and your phone would not be noticeable given the the angles and all that stuff which I assume you know what I mean. But again, if someone is up in the front and I am up in the raised seating, their phone is right in my line of sight and is really hard to miss.

I don't think its too demanding. To me it is just common decency and consideration towards your fellow man. It is an acknowledgment that others present may or may not appreciate your actions and that you can understand that to the point of showing some respect and consideration. And if something comes up and requires sustained attention beyond a brief moment during the movie you care enough to step outside.

We can respectfully agree to disagree.

Bowser
06-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Come on. If you can't put your stupid phone away for two hours, you either have too much unresolved shit going on in your life that you should rather be taking care of, or you're a teenaged girl.

Saying that, if you're in an empty theater, then text/talk away, I guess. But why pay 15-ish bucks to sit in a theater and do domething you can do at home for free?

Micjones
06-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Come on. If you can't put your stupid phone away for two hours, you either have too much unresolved shit going on in your life that you should rather be taking care of, or you're a teenaged girl.

Saying that, if you're in an empty theater, then text/talk away, I guess. But why pay 15-ish bucks to sit in a theater and do domething you can do at home for free?

You're right.
Worrying about what some strange guy does with his phone or the money he used for the price of admission is much more mature.

Molitoth
06-08-2012, 01:38 PM
I'd rather just watch a movie at home in my underwear with my giant beer and vat of chicken fat.