PDA

View Full Version : Football 2,000 players unify in suing NFL over head injuries

Donger
06-07-2012, 03:49 PM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/07/2000-players-unify-in-suing-nfl-over-head-injuries/?hpt=hp_t1

A unified lawsuit on behalf of more than 2,000 National Football League players has been filed against the league in federal court, alleging that the NFL failed to acknowledge and address neurological risks associated with the sport and then deliberately failed to tell players about the risks they faced, according to attorneys representing former players.

The complaint, filed in federal court in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, unites the more than 80 pending lawsuits filed against the NFL.

“I firmly believe the NFL could have and should have done more to protect Ray. That’s why I am seeking to hold the NFL accountable,” Mary Ann Easterling, widow of former Atlanta Falcons safety Ray Easterling, who committed suicide in April after suffering for years from dementia, said in a press release. “Having lived through Ray’s struggle, I desperately hope and pray others can be spared the pain and suffering we have endured – and still endure every day.”

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy acknowledged the filing, but added that there was nothing new to the claim other than that it merges them all in one place.

"Our legal team will review today's filing that is intended to consolidate plaintiffs' existing claims into one "master" complaint," he said. "The NFL has long made player safety a priority and continues to do so. Any allegation that the NFL sought to mislead players has no merit. It stands in contrast to the league's many actions to better protect players and advance the science and medical understanding of the management and treatment of concussions."

However, many NFL players have claimed they suffer from a variety of injuries because of concussions without really knowing the severity of how badly they could be hurt playing the game.

“The NFL must open its eyes to the consequences of its actions,” Kevin Turner, a former running back for the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles who has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, said in a press release. “The NFL has the power not only to give former players the care they deserve, but also to ensure that future generations of football players do not suffer the way that many in my generation have.”

Setsuna
06-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Game over Goodell.

whoman69
06-07-2012, 04:26 PM
I think their case is hurt greatly by the fact they have kickers on the list and people who have no symptoms, but want a handout just in case. Their case is also hurt by the fact the league is trying to make the game safer now by requiring more pads, and the union is fighting that.

vailpass
06-07-2012, 04:27 PM
I hope this doesn't go through, don't want to see the quality of play diminished because of these whiners.
Hopefully they will all forget they even have a suit filed.

BigMeatballDave
06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Greedy players /laz

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Game over Goodell.

Didn't happen on his watch he's trying to make the game safer.Did those players think playing in the NFL was safe?

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Go sue the NFLPA, they should be looking out for the players.

vailpass
06-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Give these assholes $100 and a bottle of aspirin and call it settled.

Ace Gunner
06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
I hope this doesn't go through, don't want to see the quality of play diminished because of these whiners.
Hopefully they will all forget they even have a suit filed.

ya, that's a point in this, but they are the ones that established the grounds of this suit imo. goodell and co could have kept this behind nfl doors as it has been since before the '94 CBO -- they should have taken care of specific players. had they done this, we wouldn't even know about any of this aspect of nfl.

Deberg_1990
06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
If you want a nice, safe, healthy work environment, you play professional football of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

alnorth
06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
alleging that the NFL failed to acknowledge and address neurological risks associated with the sport and then deliberately failed to tell players about the risks they faced

I'm having a hard time believing that they'll be able to prove that.

Sure, we know about the risks NOW, and we know that players probably should not have been allowed to go back in concussed NOW, but did they know that then? Aside from doctors saying "I'm not sure if its a good idea", did we really have credible peer-reviewed studies back then discussing sports concussions leading to a lifetime of disability? If they can point to the NFL being negligent for a few years during the mid-2000's, fine, but that is going to limit the liability considerably, these guys need to prove what I quoted happened during the 90's.

There's a concept in the law that says that you cant be held accountable for not heeding brand-new medical research before that research came out. As long as an employer or some other entity responsible for your safety reacts reasonably quickly when a new discovery of unsafe or unhealthy conditions comes out and when that new discovery becomes accepted and known as common knowledge (you aren't expected to subscribe to and read medical journals as an employer), your fine. Its kind of like someone suing an electric company for his skin cancer because during the 60's and 70's he was working on power lines in the Arizona sun without sunscreen. Back then people weren't really worried about the sun or knowledgeable about skin cancer. Today, people who are expected to work in the sun are either given some kind of protection, or they are told that they are responsible for protecting themselves from the sun and if they don't they are responsible for the consequences. Not having that policy 30 or 40 years ago doesn't help the people who worked in conditions now known to be unsafe 30 or 40 years ago.

Ace Gunner
06-07-2012, 04:59 PM
If you want a nice, safe, healthy work environment, you play professional football of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

my kids are watching therefore fuck adult entertainment. thanks :D

HemiEd
06-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly, it is like a hooker complaining about VD.

vailpass
06-07-2012, 05:03 PM
ya, that's a point in this, but they are the ones that established the grounds of this suit imo. goodell and co could have kept this behind nfl doors as it has been since before the '94 CBO -- they should have taken care of specific players. had they done this, we wouldn't even know about any of this aspect of nfl.

If Goodell could have made this go away and didn't that is a significant failure on his part.

Mr. Laz
06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
so the NFL is being sued for being unsafe and for trying increase safety at the same time?

Ace Gunner
06-07-2012, 05:18 PM
If Goodell could have made this go away and didn't that is a significant failure on his part.

well, it's just like everything else big ticket entertainment imo -- there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that most fans don't know about.

and ya, goodell is fucking up imo. this time he didn't understand what he was about to put in motion, not fully.

dazedhero
06-07-2012, 05:22 PM
This is very stupid. Just because some idiots kill their selves years later. So everyone flips out and trumps up bs to try and get money.

BigMeatballDave
06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
so the NFL is being sued for being unsafe and for trying increase safety at the same time?

You're clearly an idiot.

10 yrs ago, the NFL didnt take near the precautions with concussions like it does now.

These are former players.

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-07-2012, 05:28 PM
You're clearly an idiot.

10 yrs ago, the NFL didnt take near the precautions with concussions like it does now.

These are former players.

I agree with this but where was the NFLPA?

Ace Gunner
06-07-2012, 05:42 PM
This is very stupid. Just because some idiots kill their selves years later. So everyone flips out and trumps up bs to try and get money.

well, that's because the nfl talks story about "family" and then cheap's out on guys they should have taken care of. it's called personalized care and as i said they only needed to take care of those few who have, as a result of the league not taking care of their shit, are blemmishing the game with details we as fans did not need to witness. i'm saying if they had simply put less than a lousy $50k per year into junior seau post career, well, he would still be under professional care and the goodell - ettes would still be making bank without the black eye that is going to take this league down eventually. goodell is just a dumbass, he could have kept the gravy train rolling.

BigMeatballDave
06-07-2012, 06:32 PM
I agree with this but where was the NFLPA?

Its the employers responsibility to see that its employees are taken care of when injured on the job.

RedNeckRaider
06-07-2012, 06:37 PM

A new troll :rolleyes:

Sucky
06-07-2012, 06:39 PM
imo they should know what they signed up for

BigMeatballDave
06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
imo they should know what they signed up for

Thats not really the point.

Bwana
06-07-2012, 06:41 PM
A new troll :rolleyes:

Umm, yeah and a mult at that. He won't be posting much.

BigMeatballDave
06-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Who is it?

RedNeckRaider
06-07-2012, 06:44 PM

Good job~

Bwana
06-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Who is it?

Epic Fail 007 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=12278)

Dude comes in, claims he's leaving forever, cusses the mods and makes a mult right away. ("Yeah, they will never notice I did that") What would you guess the odds are of him have technical difficulties posting at this point?

whoman69
06-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Epic Fail 007 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=12278)

Dude comes in, claims he's leaving forever, cusses the mods and makes a mult right away. ("Yeah, they will never notice I did that") What would you guess the odds are of him have technical difficulties posting at this point.

What a goatcheese kind of move.

WhiteWhale
06-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I slammed my head into something 40 times in a day 20 times a year for 20+ years, and I'm totally mad because it damaged my brain. How was I supposed to know? - Retired NFL players