PDA

View Full Version : Electronics outdoor security system

Steve
06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
I am looking into getting an outdoor video security system that can withstand the kcmo cold weather,be viewed remotely and record.Anybody have any suggestions that could lead me in the right direction?

Bwana
06-07-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm getting ready to hunt for the same thing. A pair of corner mounted machine guns, would also make a nice touch.

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2006/02/25/redback.jpg

Steve
06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
lol.That is awesome.

bevischief
06-07-2012, 07:56 PM
A big dog.

Dragonocho
06-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Navy Aegis system should do the trick.Might be a little sporty on the price.

Buehler445
06-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Most guys around here are putting up trail cameras. Just make sure it is up high.

bevischief
06-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Dogs with guns are a big deterrent.

Simply Red
06-07-2012, 08:06 PM
cool thread, Steve.

Reaper16
06-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Have you emailed the Chiefs front office? They should have some pointers for you.

Dragonocho
06-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Have you emailed the Chiefs front office? They should have some pointers for you.

Still get the candy wrapper problem though

Simply Red
06-07-2012, 08:10 PM
I am looking into getting an outdoor video security system that can withstand the kcmo cold weather,be viewed remotely and record.Anybody have any suggestions that could lead me in the right direction?

i honestly think you could do it yourself, that technology isn't that dramatic.

Digital Witness has a good rep. - but they may be exclusive to Atlanta.

QuikSsurfer
06-07-2012, 08:35 PM

Where would you want the camera mounted? There are plenty of outdoor wireless IP cameras. I like the wired though (PoE and mounted outside the house). Also what's your budget?

Ace Gunner
06-07-2012, 08:57 PM
i bought a system with a 500gb recorder/stand alone real time monitor;
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1202&bih=600&q=lorex+edge%2B&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12361295190244398976&sa=X&ei=rFrRT6SbLZOY8gTt8tnYAw&ved=0CIkBEPMCMAI

and a couple cams did not function proper so i sent it back. really soured me on the products out there, since i paid a grand on it thinking i was above the garbage market threshold. nope.

now i'm looking at the ip stuff but i'm also looking at buying cams & a separate puter with a video card. problem with ip stuff is it doesn't record, it just does live feeds whereas if you put a puter system together and load a app, you can record and monitor all in one like the system i bought originally.

QuikSsurfer
06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
now i'm looking at the ip stuff but i'm also looking at buying cams & a separate puter with a video card. problem with ip stuff is it doesn't record, it just does live feeds whereas if you put a puter system together and load a app, you can record and monitor all in one like the system i bought originally.

Do you have a head injury?

Most modern IP cameras have flash memory cards packaged in for their built-in DVR. Just pickup a bigger SD card and swap them out or back them up to a computer and wipe the SD card weekly...

Ace Gunner
06-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Do you have a head injury?

Most modern IP cameras have flash memory cards packaged in for their built-in DVR. Just pickup a bigger SD card and swap them out or back them up to a computer and wipe the SD card weekly...

flash memory is for sissies :D

Ace Gunner
06-07-2012, 09:13 PM
in fact, ip is for sissies. i need a set up with several cam for a large building. not some dumb flash card crap you have to maintain every fucking week. i don't have time for that shit man.

i'll likely go the puter way because of it's continuous recording & I can set it up as a server, access from anywhere on the www bitch.

QuikSsurfer
06-07-2012, 09:20 PM
in fact, ip is for sissies. i need a set up with several cam for a large building. not some dumb flash card crap you have to maintain every fucking week. i don't have time for that shit man.

i'll likely go the puter way because of it's continuous recording & I can set it up as a server, access from anywhere on the www bitch.

Not to be a dick any more than I need to but you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about and I feel dumber after having read it - and you especially don't know anything about "puters". Flash memory is for sissies? What do you think Solid State Hard drives are? Flash Memory.

And the scenario that you just described would indeed be a IP setup. You can have IP cameras record back to a DVR or a server.. How do you think they report outside your local network so you can view them from the internet.. They have IP addresses.. The SD card method that I mentioned is simply the cheapest - but still efficient if you're working with one or two cameras.

Ace Gunner
06-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Not to be a dick any more than I need to but you don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about and I feel dumber after having read it - and you especially don't know anything about "puters". Flash memory is for sissies? What do you think Solid State Hard drives are? Flash Memory.

And the scenario that you just described would indeed be a IP setup. You can have IP cameras record back to a DVR or a server.. How do you think they report outside your local network so you can view them from the internet.. They have IP addresses.. The SD card method that I mentioned is simply the cheapest - but still efficient if you're working with one or two cameras.

well then use your cheap ass set up you cocksucker. i need much more than that lil kludge.

QuikSsurfer
06-07-2012, 09:32 PM
well then use your cheap ass set up you cocksucker. i need much more than that lil kludge.

JFC
lol you don't know what you need you old bat. You just blew a grand on a shit setup with awful range and openly bad reviews.

Ace Gunner
06-07-2012, 10:56 PM
JFC
lol you don't know what you need you old bat. You just blew a grand on a shit setup with awful range and openly bad reviews.

its called money back guarantee idiot. and i'm at least figuring it out whereas you seem to be stuck in retard world where every need is the same.

i'm pretty sure the OP doesn't want your dumb weekly schedule of file transfer, i know i dont. i need a set it and forget it set up. when something happens, i got video. i don't plan on living there, so i need something that will go & go like the energizer bunny.

i don't know if that is what the OP etc are looking for, but i came to discuss what i know without ripping people to shreds meaninglessly.

i have a 4 story apartment building to set up, not my mom's basement.

basically folks, if you just need one cam and can handle weekly downloading then hey, quick sniveler's ip system could be a fit.

but, if you need a multi cam deal and no fuss set up, what i'm learning is that you need a puter type set up for continuous monitor/record mode, whether you buy the mainframe from lorex or IBM etc.

the cool thing about these package units is, they are already configured for the tasks using software and the hardware they've chosen and that is why i gave it a look. from there, it's a question of what type cam package to use and there are many. it's just that when you start getting into $1,500 systems etc, it became apparent to me the quality of cams wasn't what i expected and when i started looking around at these puter video card options, it became apparent i can set up a "brain" for an 8 cam set up for about $700 and then configure any cams with it.

so, that's where i am with this right now. i haven't pulled the trigger on a new set up yet, but after my ballsack heals up and my balls stop hurting, i'll get going on the building again and figure out a cam set up for it.

in the mean time, i'll look for any tips that don't come with a kick in the teeth by a transexual hooker :D

QuikSsurfer
06-08-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm not surprised that you looked over where I said it was but one option for an IP setup. And I'm quite sure Mr Plow doesn't need enough camera coverage for a 4 story apartment. I'm honestly tired of arguing with you so I'll just shut up until the OP responds to his abandoned thread.
It's pretty clear that I know what I'm talking about and it should since I've been in the IT security business for a few years now - funny you mention IBM as they are my employer. And you truthfully sound like you need some good advice but fuck you.

Mr. Plow
06-08-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm not surprised that you looked over where I said it was but one option for an IP setup. And I'm quite sure Mr Plow doesn't need enough camera coverage for a 4 story apartment. I'm honestly tired of arguing with you so I'll just shut up until the OP responds to his abandoned thread.
It's pretty clear that I know what I'm talking about and it should since I've been in the IT security business for a few years now - funny you mention IBM as they are my employer. And you truthfully sound like you need some good advice but fuck you.

Just thought I'd jump in here..... it wasn't me in the OP.

QuikSsurfer
06-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Just thought I'd jump in here..... it wasn't me in the OP.

Haha - I should have noticed the post count.. The Avatar threw me off. My mistake. Fuckin Steve.

Mr. Plow
06-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Haha - I should have noticed the post count.. The Avatar threw me off. My mistake. Fuckin Steve.

LMAO

I feel stupid for saying it, but when I opened up the thread the first thing I thought was "Wait, how drunk was I that I don't remember posting about wanting an outdoor security system?"

QuikSsurfer
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
LMAO

I feel stupid for saying it, but when I opened up the thread the first thing I thought was "Wait, how drunk was I that I don't remember posting about wanting an outdoor security system?"

ROFL

Huffmeister
06-08-2012, 09:36 AM
You should look into the ED209 system from Omni Consumer Products. There are rumors that they are still working out a few issues, but once they get them figured out I'm sure it's going to be an awesome system.

You can get more info about it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ED_209#ED_209).

Dave Lane
06-08-2012, 10:02 AM
It's pretty clear that I know what I'm talking about and it should since I've been in the IT security business for a few years now - funny you mention IBM as they are my employer. And you truthfully sound like you need some good advice but **** you.

So recommend one. I'm looking for the same thing for my farm would appreciate you recommending a quality system say $250-500. Single camera is fine

QuikSsurfer
06-08-2012, 10:06 AM
So recommend one. I'm looking for the same thing for my farm would appreciate you recommending a quality system say $250-500. Single camera is fine

Wired or Wireless? There are some really good power over ethernet (PoE) options out there so you'd only have to run a CAT5 cable if you took that route.

I've been really pleased with Sharx Security (most important, their support is fantastic) : http://www.sharxsecurity.com/products.html#outdoor

A great wireless option: http://www.amazon.com/Sharx-Security-SCNC3605N-Wireless-Weatherproof/dp/B003O54DQK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339168102&sr=1-2

A great wired option: http://www.amazon.com/Sharx-Security-SCNC3606-Weatherproof-Infrared/dp/B003O5LLFG/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339168102&sr=1-6

Both of the listed cameras have IR night vision that works very well.

If you'd want to record the video/audio back to a computer/server - you could pick up this capture card as well - comes with SecurityCenter software: http://www.amazon.com/Sharx-Security-SCXSC200-Recorder-Internet/dp/B001UCVPQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339168257&sr=1-1

Fish
06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I got one of these off woot the other day...

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4830/ed209s.jpg

QuikSsurfer
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I got one of these off woot the other day...

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4830/ed209s.jpg

lol... post 26

ReynardMuldrake
06-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Software-wise, iSpy is free, open-source security camera software. You can get alerts via cell phone or view live feeds in your browser.

http://www.ispyconnect.com/