PDA

View Full Version : News Big Bull Shark

notorious
06-07-2012, 08:04 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/photo-giant-bull-shark-surprises-researchers-203349161.html

Big catch

On Sunday, May 27, they were having plenty of luck. Something snagged the other end of the 75-foot (23-meter) line, and Hammerschlag began to pull it in. Right away, he said, he could tell something was different.

"It's a lot of work to bring up a line, but I can usually do it myself," he says. This time, he needed help.

He and a colleague joined forces. "We didn't know if we were pulling up a sunken boat, a monster shark, a school bus — we had no idea which it was," Hammerschlag told OurAmazingPlanet.

They were in about 150 feet (46 m) of water, and, even as the two men strained to pull in whatever it was, it remained invisible, hidden by the murk of the shallow ocean.

"As soon as it came to the surface, it literally took my breath away, it was so big," Hammerschlag said. They had hooked a massive bull shark, the region's top predator; the shark was about 10 feet (3 m) long and, the researchers estimated, over 1,000 pounds (454 kilograms). [ See images of the bull shark .]

"It's one of the biggest bull sharks I've ever caught, and it's the biggest bull shark I've ever tagged," Hammerschlag said — and he's tagged more than 1,000 sharks. "When this guy rocked up, it just took my breath away."

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/wdPU9Of5.mWi__iTh5q_fA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NzkwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NjAwO2R4PTA7ZHk9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0yNTE7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/News/LiveScience.com/bull-shark-tag.jpg1339008566

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/KK0wIFkRP67INPiCyYECtw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NjMyO2NyPTE7Y3c9NDgwO2R4PTA7ZHk9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0yNTE7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/News/LiveScience.com/bull-shark-hammerschlag.jpg1339008154]

Thig Lyfe
06-07-2012, 08:09 PM
That's a load of bullshark.

mr. tegu
06-07-2012, 08:10 PM
This is enough to keep me out of rivers near the ocean's mouth.

Edit - I have even heard from River Monsters of those being 200 miles inland.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-07-2012, 08:10 PM
That's a load of bullshark.

Wow that's almost exactly what I was going to say. Damn you.

scott free
06-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah, what an incredible animal, that thing is far scarier than even a great white, bullsharks are the honey badgers of the ocean.

So glad it was released & not hauled to shore.

notorious
06-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Try 2000 miles inland. They have been found up by Illinois. :eek:

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-07-2012, 08:15 PM

I live in Illinois and on the Mississippi and that's not funny.

Note to self; another reason to stay out of the big muddy.

mr. tegu
06-07-2012, 08:20 PM

No wonder those Asian carp in your river systems are jumping out of the water! Hoping the boats will get them out of there!

Frankie
06-07-2012, 10:01 PM
A lot of bull in this thread.

Predarat
06-08-2012, 07:32 AM
10 ft is big? Hey yahoo, talk to me when someone catches a 50 ft Megalodon.
That is all.

Hog Farmer
06-08-2012, 07:33 AM
A lot of bull in this thread.

That Funny ! Want to hear a jack off joke ?

notorious
06-08-2012, 07:36 AM
10 ft is big? Hey yahoo, talk to me when someone catches a 50 ft Megalodon.
That is all.

That's what she said.

KC Tattoo
06-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Saw this story in the news the other day.

Pretty cool shark feeding off a giant squid with video.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2155249/Fishing-reporter-finds-corpse-giant-13-foot-squid-coast-Australia-explores-bumps-hungry-shark.html

mikeyis4dcats.
06-08-2012, 08:18 AM
I remember reading a few years ago about a bull shark being found in Lake Michigan.

Radar Chief
06-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Yes, so basically any body of water that has direct contact with the ocean, not separated by a hydro-electric dam or some big structure like that, can potentially have bull sharks in it.
Another scary one from River Monster is that bull sharks have learned to shadow boats so that when fishermen get a fish on line they can run up and snap an easy meal, which makes me wonder what this means for water skiers.

Radar Chief
06-08-2012, 08:45 AM
No wonder those Asian carp in your river systems are jumping out of the water! Hoping the boats will get them out of there!

They’ll certainly have plenty to feed on for a while.

scho63
06-09-2012, 06:09 AM
The scary part of this story is that bull sharks are one of the most aggressive shark species and are responsible for numerous shark attacks in the gulf. Can't imagine swimming and seeing this behemoth coming in for an attack.....

:bolt:

A father and son shark are circling around a bunch of plane crash victims.

As they slowly circle for a few hours with their dorsal fins poking up and down breaching the surface, the son asks the father: 'Dad, why are we waiting so long? Why don't we just go attack?'

'Well son, there is a very logical answer. If you scare the shit out of them, they taste much better!'

petegz28
06-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Yes, so basically any body of water that has direct contact with the ocean, not separated by a hydro-electric dam or some big structure like that, can potentially have bull sharks in it.
Another scary one from River Monster is that bull sharks have learned to shadow boats so that when fishermen get a fish on line they can run up and snap an easy meal, which makes me wonder what this means for water skiers.

Bull sharks go into fresh water to have their offspring. At least that is one theory.

petegz28
06-09-2012, 07:10 AM
The scary part of this story is that bull sharks are one of the most aggressive shark species and are responsible for numerous shark attacks in the gulf. Can't imagine swimming and seeing this behemoth coming in for an attack.....

:bolt:

A father and son shark are circling around a bunch of plane crash victims.

As they slowly circle for a few hours with their dorsal fins poking up and down breaching the surface, the son asks the father: 'Dad, why are we waiting so long? Why don't we just go attack?'

'Well son, there is a very logical answer. If you scare the shit out of them, they taste much better!'

In the Gulf? You won't ever see it. It is by far the most agressive of sharks and there are tons of them off the coast of Florida.

Rausch
06-09-2012, 09:05 AM
He and a colleague joined forces. "We didn't know if we were pulling up a sunken boat, a monster shark, a school bus — we had no idea which it was," Hammerschlag told OurAmazingPlanet.[/img]]

I'm guessing it wasn't a sunken ship or one of those crazy rogue school buses that tend to run off route and into the ocean...

MIAdragon
06-09-2012, 09:10 AM

IIRC they have been found over 2K miles inland.

Ive seen quite a few sharks in the keys but the only one that really grabs your attention are the damn bulls. Its time to pack up shop when they come around.

beach tribe
06-09-2012, 09:20 AM
In the Gulf? You won't ever see it. It is by far the most agressive of sharks and there are tons of them off the coast of Florida.

Wait.
What?
All over the gulf, which a large portion of is FL coastline.
AL, MS, LA, all see bull shark attacks as well.

ThaVirus
06-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't fuck with sharks.

kysirsoze
06-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Wait.
What?

He means you won't see the shark. When it attacks you. (I think)

pr_capone
06-09-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't **** with sharks.

I remember as a kid hanging out at the beach and someone yelling out "shark in the water". You see a mass exodus from the water and onto the shore.

More often than not you would eventually see a dolphin jump out of the water but every once in a while a pregnant shark would get into really shallow waters.

Scary shit.

ThaVirus
06-09-2012, 12:19 PM
That's why I don't like to swim in water that I can't see through. Between murky waters and riptide, I won't swim too far out in the ocean.

Plus I have an irrational fear of being eaten by a crocodile or shark. To me, that would be one of the worst deaths.

MahiMike
06-09-2012, 12:43 PM
aughht a few hammerheads in the keys last week but thank God nothing like that!

kysirsoze
06-09-2012, 02:56 PM

My absolute nightmare thanks to watching Jaws at a young age.

scott free
06-09-2012, 05:45 PM
That's why I don't like to swim in water that I can't see through. Between murky waters and riptide, I won't swim too far out in the ocean.

Plus I have an irrational fear of being eaten by a crocodile or shark. To me, that would be one of the worst deaths.

Nothing irrational about it, that would reeeally suck, whats f-ed up though, is that bulls can kill you in 3 feet of water.

And bullsharks have been caught in the Mississippi as far north as St. Louis :eek:

scho63
06-10-2012, 04:24 AM

:banghead: I forgot the gulf is murky! No swimming in there for me...

dannybcaitlyn
06-10-2012, 05:30 AM
My absolute nightmare thanks to watching Jaws at a young age.

Me to. LMAO.

petegz28
06-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Wait.
What?

I mean like the water is not clear enough that you would see it coming.

boogblaster
06-10-2012, 08:52 AM
bastards like human flesh .....

pr_capone
06-10-2012, 10:08 AM
bastards like human all flesh... because they are sharks... it is kind of their thing.

FYP

Frankie
06-10-2012, 11:01 AM

It's not irrational. There are better ways to die. Being shark poop is not my ambition. I will never EVER swim in the open sea. The last time I did was in the Caspian sea 40+ years ago which in actuality is a lake and therefore (supposedly) shark-free.

pr_capone
06-10-2012, 11:07 AM
It's not irrational. There are better ways to die. Being shark poop is not my ambition. I will never EVER swim in the open sea. The last time I did was in the Caspian sea 40+ years ago which in actuality is a lake and therefore (supposedly) shark-free.

You could swim in the Dead Sea and not fear any attacks. :D