PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues What countries are the world's "bad guys"?

AustinChief
06-07-2012, 08:17 PM
I was wondering if we could come up with a list of 10 or even 5 states that qualify as "bad guys"? There are always countries that the US doesn't see eye to eye with.. but I'm talking about the true bad guys that we can pretty much all agree on.

I'll start with some clear examples...

North Korea
Iran
Syria

A country that doesn't qualify is Cuba... no one (outside of Florida) really hates Cuba anymore. I also discount the sub-Saharan African countries because we simply don't care about them.

Also, you can't count a country like Yemen because the official govt (what little of it that is there) is on our side. Same with Iraq and Afghanistan.

You can't say the PLO or the Taliban or Al Qaeda .. we are talking about actual countries.

The only other ones I can come up with off the top of my head are Pakistan and Venezuela.

China and Russia are borderline but it's just hard to see them as true "enemies" right now.

Comments?

loochy
06-07-2012, 08:20 PM
You just about summed it up.

Maybe add Canada?

cosmo20002
06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
I was wondering if we could come up with a list of 10 or even 5 states that qualify as "bad guys"? There are always countries that the US doesn't see eye to eye with.. but I'm talking about the true bad guys that we can pretty much all agree on.

North Korea
Iran
Syria

A country that doesn't qualify is Cuba... no one (outside of Florida) really hates Cuba anymore. I also discount the sub-Saharan African countries because we simply don't care about them.

Also, you can't count a country like Yemen because the official govt (what little of it that is there) is on our side. Same with Iraq and Afghanistan.

You can't say the PLO or the Taliban or Al Qaeda .. we are talking about actual countries.

The only other ones I can come up with off the top of my head are Pakistan and Venezuela.

China and Russia are borderline but it's just hard to see them as true "enemies" right now.

Comments?

Bad to their own people or bad because they are a pain in the ass to the world?

notorious
06-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Canada

AustinChief
06-07-2012, 08:30 PM
You just about summed it up.

Maybe add Canada?

BLAME CANADA!

Ok seriously.. it's strange to think that our enemies are 5 piss ant countries.

North Korea
Iran
Pakistan (supposedly not an enemy but I'm counting them)
Syria (on the edge of fall apart)
Venezuela (not really an enemy but Chavez is a colossal douche so I'm counting them)

AustinChief
06-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Bad to their own people or bad because they are a pain in the ass to the world?

don't think too much... "bad" as in an enemy of the USA... even if they (like Pakistan) call themselves a friend.

BucEyedPea
06-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Papua New Guinea - cuz they eats people!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/Huli_wigman.jpg/220px-Huli_wigman.jpg

cosmo20002
06-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Papua New Guinea - cuz they eats people!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/Huli_wigman.jpg/220px-Huli_wigman.jpg

racist

Isn't that the "Obama" picture the Tea Baggers hold up at their rallies?

BucEyedPea
06-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Oh brother! It's funny though but there's probably some belief in it by you.

AustinChief
06-07-2012, 10:24 PM
So far we all pretty much agree that the list of top 5 is...

North Korea
Iran
Syria
Pakistan
Venezuela?

Seriously, can't we think of anyone better to knock Venezuela off the top 5?

Hell, Pakistan and Syria are pretty weak candidates as well.

SNR
06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Luxembourg. Fuck those guys.

cosmo20002
06-07-2012, 10:50 PM
The Vatican

cosmo20002
06-07-2012, 11:01 PM

North Korea
Iran
Syria
Pakistan
Venezuela?

This is actually kind of an interesting exercise because it shows how there are really very few if any actual countries that are truly an enemy or direct (military) threat. The dangerous ones are really those that support terror (Iran, Syria) or would likely sell weapons to them (North Korea).

Chiefshrink
06-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Greenland

AustinChief
06-08-2012, 12:33 AM
This is actually kind of an interesting exercise because it shows how there are really very few if any actual countries that are truly an enemy or direct (military) threat. The dangerous ones are really those that support terror (Iran, Syria) or would likely sell weapons to them (North Korea).

Exactly, and Syria is falling apart. I'd say that Iran and North Korea are the only "serious" enemies left. I expect North Korea to stay pretty much where it is... a pain in the ass that pops up on occasion but too backwards, isolated and poor to be anything more. Iran is really it. I'm not saying something HAS to be done right away about Iran, but I expect the saber rattling to continue to escalate until something does happen... probably within the next 10 years.

Munson
06-08-2012, 01:43 AM
China and Russia?

Slainte
06-08-2012, 06:01 AM
The Sudan
Ethiopia
Somalia
Etritria

OTOH, Yeman is our friend!

So is the KSA...

Amnorix
06-08-2012, 06:12 AM
you've got the true bad guys.

The biggest threats, however, are Russia and China, especially with their frequent cyberattacks on US defense and other critical systems.

But yeah, in terms of actual BAD guys, that's about it.

Makes you wonder about whether we really need eleventy gazillion dollars spent on defense per year. I'm ok with welfare cuts also, but there's really no reason our military budget can't be trimmed.

Easy 6
06-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Without china & russia, the three clear choices wouldnt get away with half as much as they do now.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2012, 06:20 AM

North Korea
Iran
Syria
Pakistan
Venezuela?

All? Not me. This is all just a consideration—created in your minds by the US govt to control you.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Without china & russia, the three clear choices wouldnt get away with half as much as they do now.

Is there any country Americans don't think are bad today? It's like we're at war with nearly the whole non-western world.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2012, 06:22 AM
The Vatican

Now, that really is the one place the left hates.

Easy 6
06-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Is there any country Americans don't think are bad today? It's like we're at war with nearly the whole non-western world.

Those countries are at war with their own people, as well as saying & doing things that set the entire civilized world on edge.

Lets be honest, they are bad.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Those countries are at war with their own people, as well as saying & doing things that set the entire civilized world on edge.

Lets be honest, they are bad.

The same can be said about our own govt today.

People is a generality though. Except for NK, those countries still have their supporters among the people opposed them—just like here.The elections in Iran, turned out afterall, to not be rigged. Assad has been popular and that civil war is being fomented by our CIA as part of the "Clean Break" strategy to transform the Middle East. Our media, are handmaidens to the state to propagandize US acts of aggression.

Amnorix
06-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Mongolia, Indonesia (government of), Australia, New Zealand, Madagascar, etc. ad infinitum you fucking lunatic.

durtyrute
06-08-2012, 06:59 AM
If this is a "world's" bad guys list, then you have to put the US close to the top of the list. Now, conversely we are also one of the world's good guy also.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2012, 07:22 AM
If this is a "world's" bad guys list, then you have to put the US close to the top of the list. Now, conversely we are also one of the world's good guy also.

Just not at home anymore. Not when you look at the types of laws being passed. I fear our govt today. This means tyranny has arrived. I don't see it getting better soon either.

NewChief
06-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Kony!

:huh:

Oh...nevermind. I got nothin.

durtyrute
06-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Just not at home anymore. Not when you look at the types of laws being passed. I fear our govt today. This means tyranny has arrived. I don't see it getting better soon either.

Neither do I Buc.

Thig Lyfe
06-08-2012, 12:20 PM
WE'RE the bad guys!!! BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Aries Walker
06-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Zimbabwe. Also, Sudan.

AustinChief
06-08-2012, 04:52 PM
The Sudan
Ethiopia
Somalia
Etritria

Zimbabwe. Also, Sudan.

From the OP....

I also discount the sub-Saharan African countries because we simply don't care about them.

Slainte
06-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I also discount the sub-Saharan African countries because we simply don't care about them.

And you were wrong to do so, as people - thoughtful people, at any rate - do care about them.

MagicHef
06-08-2012, 05:12 PM
France, obviously.

AustinChief
06-08-2012, 05:36 PM
And you were wrong to do so, as people - thoughtful people, at any rate - do care about them.

No, I'm not wrong. You have to be RELEVANT to qualify as an "enemy" of the US. Name me a sub-Saharan country that is relevant? It doesn't mean that I personally don't care about their fates... it simply means that there isn't one who is a threat or of enough interest to qualify.

This is not about countries we consider to be evil or bad or mistreating their people. Feel free to start another thread about that.

vailpass
06-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Uh, no.

Johnny Vegas
06-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Russia. Seems like every time something happens like on 9/11 we first think the Russians.

AustinChief
06-08-2012, 06:21 PM

And what do you have against Ethiopia??? They aren't even close to being in the top 10 of "dirtbag" countries in Africa. You want a country to hate in Africa, look no further than Nigeria.

stevieray
06-08-2012, 06:26 PM
....eventually, the land of Shinar, or modern day Iraq.

Aries Walker
06-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I honestly didn't see the sub-Saharan clause, but if I had, I would have discounted your discounting of sub-Saharan African countries. Besides the fact that a lot of people do care about them (much as people certainly cared about Apartheid South Africa in the 80's, and as the recent Kony campaign has illustrated passionate care about them this year), people also should care about them (if for no other reason that historically an area in economic free-fall - like Zimbabwe - plus a charismatic, passionate leader could equal a despotic, aggressive, expansionistic, totalitarian war machine).

So I counted Zimbabwe. Nigeria, though not quite as desperate, would also qualify.

AustinChief
06-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I honestly didn't see the sub-Saharan clause, but if I had, I would have discounted your discounting of sub-Saharan African countries. Besides the fact that a lot of people do care about them (much as people certainly cared about Apartheid South Africa in the 80's, and as the recent Kony campaign has illustrated passionate care about them this year), people also should care about them (if for no other reason that historically an area in economic free-fall - like Zimbabwe - plus a charismatic, passionate leader could equal a despotic, aggressive, expansionistic, totalitarian war machine).

So I counted Zimbabwe. Nigeria, though not quite as desperate, would also qualify.

OK, none of these countries represent ANY kind of threat to WORLD stability. At MOST they can cause destabilization in a region that (regardless of Facebook campaigns) most people don't have a clue about. Not to be a dick, but I probably have more African friends and contacts then almost anyone on the board (so I certainly keep up with and care about the region) BUT that doesn't change the fact that in the context of this conversation.. they are irrelevant.

There is a MASSIVE difference between Sudan and Iran when it comes to US interests. Combine that with the fact that many of these are barely nation states at all. (see Somalia)

Bowser
06-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Not a single vote for Saudi Arabia? I'm actually suprised.

cosmo20002
06-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Not a single vote for Saudi Arabia? I'm actually suprised.

Their government is relatively friendly to the US. The people there hate us, the govt is brutal, but they are generally pro-US. Kind of the opposite of Iran, which has has a semi-sane population but terrorists running the govt.

Cheater5
06-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Iran and Pakistan are responsible for more U.S. deaths in the last ten years than any other nations, and it isn't even close.

We should've smoked Iran about four years ago when we had the combat power built up in Iraq to do it. No occupation, just a complete destruction of their military capability; a drive-by shooting wherein an Armored Cavalry Regiment with all enablers could've cut a large swath through their Revolutionary Guards.

Ace Gunner
06-09-2012, 07:33 AM

North Korea
Iran
Syria

Comments?

So, we are financing over 700 military bases worldwide the last two decades for 3 enemies? :facepalm: