PDA

View Full Version : Royals Why must it always be the other guys?Great read.

Nzoner
06-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Whether you're a fan of baseball or just a mild observer you should enjoy the following article,I just wished to hell it didn't always have to be about the other guys.

Here's a couple of paragraphs...

Courage and hard truth play well in Cleveland, which has seen its share of athletes, executives and even sweater-vested football coaches fail to tell the region the whole truth. Fans simply got sick of it, which is at the root of the poor attendance at Progressive Field. But before Thursday's game here, after stomping into the clubhouse with a pinstriped suit and shades, Perez said it's time for the sorrow to stop. After all, the city has a team that's been at or near the top of the division all season long. And it's mid-June.

"I've been on the outside looking in," Perez said. "I haven't felt the real heartbreak [in Cleveland]. But tons of towns have overcome losing. I understand the mentality but I don't agree with it. You can always try to change it. That's what sports are for. We're trying to change it."

Chris Perez got a standing ovation and his 14th save on May 22. (AP)Asked if he basically meant, "Get over it," Perez nodded. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indians-closer-chris-perez-is-cleveland-s-new-face-and-big-mouth--with-pitches-to-back-it-up.html;_ylt=Ag9UBmU4nGZaqdzH.0zVrSkRvLYF)

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-08-2012, 01:13 AM
I'm not sure where to start here. As the Royals are concerned 1. Ewing Kauffman died. 2. New ownership took over that to put it simply... wasn't as dedicated to KC or winning. Make all the arguements you want about being a small market... it hasn't hurt the Cardinals and the Brewers and Twins are competitive more often than not so I don't buy it.

David Glass has/is coming around. Don't believe me? Which team has spent the most in foreign player development over the last 3 years? The Royals. Which team gave Bubba Starling a big enough signing bonus that he skipped playing QB at Nebraska and going to the NFL? The Royals. Which team already has their 1st round draft pick under contract this year? The Royals. Kyle Zimmer at #5.

It's easy as hell to discount the Royals based on the last 27 years. What isn't as easy is seeing the progress that's being made. The current line-up is good. The soon to be line up is better. The pitching at the major league level isn't good enough yet but work is being done.... see Jake Odorizzi. See Will Smith who has been called up before he was ready due to injury and isn't a good major league pitcher yet but is a strong guy for the future. See Kyle Zimmer who's going right to AA.

Call me a homer or an idiot... don't care. The Royals are on the right track. They're getting better and better. They have the system in place... they have talent at the major league level... they have much more talent getting seasoned in minor league ball. The future is nothing if not bright. Imagine the youngest team in baseball not getting everything right yet this season.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-08-2012, 01:18 AM
As far as Cleveland is concerned... they started strong in the first half last year too then faded. They have some talent but not enough to keep it up over 162 games. That's part of what makes baseball so great... it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-08-2012, 01:21 AM
And as far as Chris Perez goes........ lol.

Nzoner
06-08-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm not sure where to start here.

You could've started with it is a great read and as far as the Royals are concerned....but something tells me you probably read part of my excerpt and started typing away.

Deberg_1990
06-08-2012, 06:22 AM
I'm not sure where to start here. As the Royals are concerned 1. Ewing Kauffman died. 2. New ownership took over that to put it simply... wasn't as dedicated to KC or winning. Make all the arguements you want about being a small market... it hasn't hurt the Cardinals and the Brewers and Twins are competitive more often than not so I don't buy it.

David Glass has/is coming around. Don't believe me? Which team has spent the most in foreign player development over the last 3 years? The Royals. Which team gave Bubba Starling a big enough signing bonus that he skipped playing QB at Nebraska and going to the NFL? The Royals. Which team already has their 1st round draft pick under contract this year? The Royals. Kyle Zimmer at #5.

It's easy as hell to discount the Royals based on the last 27 years. What isn't as easy is seeing the progress that's being made. The current line-up is good. The soon to be line up is better. The pitching at the major league level isn't good enough yet but work is being done.... see Jake Odorizzi. See Will Smith who has been called up before he was ready due to injury and isn't a good major league pitcher yet but is a strong guy for the future. See Kyle Zimmer who's going right to AA.

Call me a homer or an idiot... don't care. The Royals are on the right track. They're getting better and better. They have the system in place... they have talent at the major league level... they have much more talent getting seasoned in minor league ball. The future is nothing if not bright. Imagine the youngest team in baseball not getting everything right yet this season.

heh....i know you and I have gone around and around on this...

I too think they are on the right track and they appear to be doing things the right way......but thats still no gurantee of success. We need a year or two of sustained success before we can truly get excited.

As of right now, they are still 7 games under .500 and mired in 4th place. Thats the only thing that matters.

HemiEd
06-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Rome wasn't built in a day,

but hindsight is 50/50.

duncan_idaho
06-08-2012, 08:36 AM
First: Fvck Chris Perez. Seriously, I have always disliked that guy (and thought he was a giant a-hole when I interviewed him a few times).

With that out of the way, re: the Royals...

I think the amount of damage done while the team was in limbo between Mr. K's death and Glass purchasing the team (7-8 year period) is overlooked at times. That's a rough situation, and it is where the proud franchise slide started, IMO.

They have competant leadership in place at the MLB level, though. The amount of investment in the team is going to bear fruit and is producing a lot of high-level MLB players.

The question is whether Dayton Moore can build around that at the big-league level, or if he's another Chuck LeMar (the Schuerholz protege who built the Tampa system and handed things off to Andrew Friedman).

Either way, we should know soon. It would be tremendously positive if Zimmer actually gets past Idaho Falls this season. Not sure if that will happen, but I'm sure they'll be aggressive with him.

morphius
06-08-2012, 08:54 AM

My issue is that I believe that Glass was also a part of that evil committee that just trashed the team. While I see more of an effort I don't believe he really has the dedication to win. I do like the team, decent talent, and even fun to watch. But as far as ever competing with Glass as the owner, well, that is a "show me".

As for fan support, all you have to do is win and the people will come. They proved that when they were in contention for the division a few years ago. I honestly believe that people are just tired of throwing money at record breaking levels of terrible in this town.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-08-2012, 09:51 AM
heh....i know you and I have gone around and around on this...

I too think they are on the right track and they appear to be doing things the right way......but thats still no gurantee of success. We need a year or two of sustained success before we can truly get excited.

As of right now, they are still 7 games under .500 and mired in 4th place. Thats the only thing that matters.

You're right. Even if we have gone around and around before I know what you're saying is true. Until the promise of a better tomorrow becomes reality then we still are what we are. I take solice in the "fact" that we finally do have good young talent and a strong, deep farm system so even in 4th place as of now we finally have a reason to actually be excited for the future. That certainly hasn't always been the case.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-08-2012, 10:04 AM
You could've started with it is a great read and as far as the Royals are concerned....but something tells me you probably read part of my excerpt and started typing away.

So you're acussing me of going off half cocked... just because that's what I did? Heh.