PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Advice on Weed!

gblowfish
06-08-2012, 08:54 AM
OK you stoners, I mean on KILLING weeds.

I just had a professional service clean up my yard. I have a lot of chain link fence, and I get lots of weeds near the fence lines, especially nasty stuff like poison sumac and poison ivy. I'd like to get rid of it all, especially now, since it's all been weed whacked down to the ground level.

I was going to spray a bunch of Roundup behind my shed and in other areas along my fence line to keep these weeds from growing back.

Came across this:
http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2011/06/got-weeds-use-vinegar-not-roundup/

Have you ever used vinegar as a weed killer? I'd rather use something eco friendly. I hate Monsanto and frankly, think Roundup may be a bit dangerous to use. Thoughts or other alternatives that have worked for you?

58-4ever
06-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Mods! Change this title.... very misleading. (unless you only have one giant weed)

boogblaster
06-08-2012, 08:56 AM
naw roundup is ya choice .....

Predarat
06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Soak all the weeds in antifreeze. Round up all the stray dogs and cats in your neighborhood and put them in your yard. Two birds, one stone.

58-4ever
06-08-2012, 09:00 AM
If you use RoundUp, get the concentrated stuff and dilute it yourself. Make a strong batch and it will last a lot longer.

Brock
06-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Kitchen vinegar probably isn't strong enough to kill most weeds, and horticultural vinegar is more dangerous (to humans) than roundup, really.

Lumpy
06-08-2012, 09:02 AM
We're about to battle our Creeping Charlie problem and did some research last night on what to use. From what I read, Ortho Weed-B-Gon Max has worked out the best for others. Creeping Charlie is extremely difficult to get rid of, so I would assume the Ortho would kick the crap out of your weeds.

As far as the vinegar weed killer method... ROFL According to our old neighbor, that method worked, but we nicknamed her "Yard Douche" after she made our backyard reek like Summer's Eve.

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Glyphosate is made by virtually everybody. If you buy that roundup branded bullshit at Walmart, you may do better to piss on it. But you can get Glyphosate and not pay the evil empire pretty easily.

Are you going to do this yourself with a hand sprayer or what? Do you know anyone with a private applicators license that can give you a little bit or are you going to have to do this with what you can buy at the hardware store?

Reerun_KC
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Ask Buehler_445.. His dad hooked me up with some nasty shit for the yard. It should be labeled death angel... No matter what I spray it on, in about 4 days its toast.

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
If you use RoundUp, get the concentrated stuff and dilute it yourself. Make a strong batch and it will last a lot longer.

No it won't. Unless it is more than just roundup. Glyphosate has no residual control.

ReynardMuldrake
06-08-2012, 09:05 AM
If you want to get rid of ALL vegetation, I would use vegetation killer. You have to reapply it every 6 months but it should kill everything. Useful for driveways.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100001652/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=vegetation+killer&storeId=10051

Nzoner
06-08-2012, 09:05 AM
We're about to battle our Creeping Charlie problem

Sounds more like a personal problem than a weed problem :)

Johnny Vegas
06-08-2012, 09:07 AM
fire. sterilize the earth it feeds off of.

penguinz
06-08-2012, 09:07 AM
OK you stoners, I mean on KILLING weeds.

I just had a professional service clean up my yard. I have a lot of chain link fence, and I get lots of weeds near the fence lines, especially nasty stuff like poison sumac and poison ivy. I'd like to get rid of it all, especially now, since it's all been weed whacked down to the ground level.

I was going to spray a bunch of Roundup behind my shed and in other areas along my fence line to keep these weeds from growing back.

Came across this:
http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2011/06/got-weeds-use-vinegar-not-roundup/

Have you ever used vinegar as a weed killer? I'd rather use something eco friendly. I hate Monsanto and frankly, think Roundup may be a bit dangerous to use. Thoughts or other alternatives that have worked for you?Poison Sumac in Independence MO? :spock:

I don't think vinegar would be strong enough to kill poison ivy.

Lumpy
06-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Sounds more like a personal problem than a weed problem :)

LMAO :clap:

Radar Chief
06-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Ortho Stump Killer for poison ivy and sumac. Not much else seems to work on honey suckle or mulberry either.

gblowfish
06-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Besides basic poison Ivy, a lot of the weeds had red stalks and berries like this picture. I believe it's a strain of poison sumac. I also have some poison oak. Want to nuke all this shit while it's all cut down to the ground and can be vaporized. Scortch the earth, baby....

penguinz
06-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Besides basic poison Ivy, a lot of the weeds had red stalks and berries like this picture. I believe it's a strain of poison sumac. I also have some poison oak. Want to nuke all this shit while it's all cut down to the ground and can be vaporized. Scortch the earth, baby....Poison Sumac has NEVER been recorded in MO. Poison oak is normally only found in the very southern parts of MO and even there is very rare.

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Besides basic poison Ivy, a lot of the weeds had red stalks and berries like this picture. I believe it's a strain of poison sumac. I also have some poison oak. Want to nuke all this shit while it's all cut down to the ground and can be vaporized. Scortch the earth, baby....

If you know someone with a private applicators license get some glyphosate. If you get the hard stuff though, get some non-ionic surfactant and AMS. Those additives will greatly improve the effectiveness of roundup. If you could get some 2-4d that would help, but I would STRONGLY recommend getting some amine instead of ester. 2-4d ester will fume and nuke all kinda shit. Then your wife is pissed.

If you can get some sort of ALS inhibitor (rave, amber, ally) that would give you some residual. I'd stay away from atrazine. That will get you in trouble.

And by the way, you shouldn't have trimmed them. They are going to be infinitely harder to kill now. Almost all herbicides are soaked in through the leaves and translocated to the roots. Now that you've damaged the plant it won't take much in. Unless you want to use paraquat. But you really don't want paraquat.

If you can't land any Ag products, I'd let it grow back and go the ortho route. But let it get some nice growth, put about 10 times the label rate and make sure you get impeccable coverage.

gblowfish
06-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Poison Sumac has NEVER been recorded in MO. Poison oak is normally only found in the very southern parts of MO and even there is very rare.

If that's the case, then it may just all be poison ivy. The stuff that grows has those funky berries on it.

penguinz
06-08-2012, 09:40 AM
If that's the case, then it may just all be poison ivy. The stuff that grows has those funky berries on it.There are several other sumac's that are native to MO and they look very similar.

As far as your problem.... Roundup is your best bet. Get the Red label and not the blue.

As long as you are not near water it is mostly safe. The main active chemical becomes inert once it contacts soil.

gblowfish
06-08-2012, 09:41 AM
I can get generic Glyphosate Concentrate at Home Depot. I think I'll start with that in a garden sprayer, and see what happens. Thanks for the good advice. Mucho Appreciato.

penguinz
06-08-2012, 09:43 AM
I can get generic Glyphosate Concentrate at Home Depot. I think I'll start with that in a garden sprayer, and see what happens. Thanks for the good advice. Mucho Appreciato.make sure you add spreader/sticker as well. This will help it 'stick' to the plant so it can be absorbed more efficiently.

seclark
06-08-2012, 09:43 AM
i've seen people use old shingles. break/cut them into pieces and line them up side by side right under the chain link. keeps the weeks from growing and it's not very visible.
sec

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 10:04 AM
make sure you add spreader/sticker as well. This will help it 'stick' to the plant so it can be absorbed more efficiently.

What you're talking about is surfactant. It's good shit. Particularly after you mowed them. You might see if you can get some ortho concentrate and throw it in too. It'll heat it up some.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-08-2012, 10:08 AM
anyone have advice on how to kill and prevent saplings that keep springing up from roots of a tree we had removed? The stump is long gone, but somehow little sprouts keep coming back.

gblowfish
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
What you're talking about is surfactant. It's good shit. Particularly after you mowed them. You might see if you can get some ortho concentrate and throw it in too. It'll heat it up some.

One of my neighbors said adding about a tablespoon of dish soap -like Ivory Liquid- will help the Roundup stick to the plants. I think that's what is meant by a "surfactant."

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 10:21 AM
One of my neighbors said adding about a tablespoon of dish soap -like Ivory Liquid- will help the Roundup stick to the plants. I think that's what is meant by a "surfactant."

Yeah, surfactant is kind of like soap but it is a little bit stickier. Ask about it wherever you buy the glyphosate. It may have some in it already. I have no idea what they have in the glyphosate at home depot.

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 10:25 AM
anyone have advice on how to kill and prevent saplings that keep springing up from roots of a tree we had removed? The stump is long gone, but somehow little sprouts keep coming back.

There are no trees where I am. :).

If you are stuck with using hardware store products I'd try some broadleaf killers. They usually have some 2-4d in them and it is pretty hard on trees. I think someone above mentioned an ortho product.

Setsuna
06-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Misleading title. Ban him. He intentionally made weed singular instead of plural which he should have. Ban him or I lose faith in the system.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Rock salt

Chiefaholic
06-08-2012, 11:26 AM
http://media.ruralking.com/image.php?sku=062580306&nsize=300

http://www.ruralking.com/1-gal-25e-pramitol.html

I used to do landscaping many years ago. This is a great herbicide that will do the trick for what you need.

Delano
06-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Call the arborist who removed the tree and have them finish the job. If a tree is prone to root suckers, they should have treated the stump with a herbicide with Triclopyr in it. They failed the first time, but have them apply the herbicide a few times a year until your suckers stop coming back. It's a very preventable problem if you hire a competent arborist.

Gary
06-08-2012, 12:11 PM
This thread title is playin with my emotions!
http://iamboigenius.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Faizon-Love-as-Big-Worm-in-Friday.jpg

durtyrute
06-08-2012, 12:17 PM
How are you going to title the thread, "Advice on Weed" and then expect people to think you are not talking about weed? How about "Advice on Weeds?"

BigRichard
06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Anyone have any advice on Sedge Weeds? I have tried sedgehammer but it always seems to come back within a couple of weeks.

Cornstock
06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
The guy on NPR from the "You Bet Your Garden" show is all about using vinegar over Round-Up. You can't get through an episode of that show without him going on a spiel on how bad Round-Up is for the environment. It really does do some bad stuff. I don't have a yard to keep weeds out of atm, but when I do I'll be using vinegar.

gblowfish
06-08-2012, 01:06 PM

I used to do landscaping many years ago. This is a great herbicide that will do the trick for what you need.

This stuff is about $50/gallon. The Ortho Triclopyr is about twice that much. Yikes! The Glyphosate is a lot less expensive, that's for sure.

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 01:14 PM

I didn't know you could still get this stuff.

George if you're wanting them out for good, this might be a better deal. Glyphosate will destroy whats there. This stuff will keep anything from growing for 6months or so.

gblowfish
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
I went up to Westlake's. They had generic Roundup (house brand) on sale, a gallon for $2 after rebate. And I bought some Ortho stuff (small bottle) for about $15 concentrated, to take it to the Poison Ivy. Between the two, it should knock that stuff down at least for the summer. We can whack it again in the Fall.

Thanks for the good advice. You guys are the ginchiest.

gblowfish
06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
BTW: I also get some green plants that are tough, twisty vines, and have big spade shaped green leaves, and have these little painful, surgically sharp needles all over the vine. It grows like honeysuckle, and twists around in bushes. The needles will go right through leather gloves. I call them "Spiney Normans." Not sure what the actual plant name is. Any ideas???

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't have any idea what kind of tropical plants you're growing out there George.

All I have are ironclad kochia and palmer amaranth and mutant bindweed.

Oh. And BTW, you'll probably have to spray that mix again. It should kill the fuck out of things. But new plants will germinate and grow. And you'll have to throw some fire at them too.

gblowfish
06-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Greenbriar. Spiney Norman is called "Greenbriar." These little bastards will go right through your gloves and stick sharp needles in your fingers and palms. Hurts like a sonofabitch.

ElGringo
06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
What I would do is go find the nearest dealer, smoke some weed, then you really won't care what is growing in the back lawn.

Chiefaholic
06-08-2012, 07:14 PM
This stuff is about $50/gallon. The Ortho Triclopyr is about twice that much. Yikes! The Glyphosate is a lot less expensive, that's for sure.

I recall paying in the mid $30's per gallon and it's concentrated. A little goes a long way.

Brock
06-08-2012, 08:03 PM
BTW: I also get some green plants that are tough, twisty vines, and have big spade shaped green leaves, and have these little painful, surgically sharp needles all over the vine. It grows like honeysuckle, and twists around in bushes. The needles will go right through leather gloves. I call them "Spiney Normans." Not sure what the actual plant name is. Any ideas???

It's from Hell.