PDA

View Full Version : Music Guitar amp plays friggin radio...

InChiefsHell
06-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Don't know if anyone else has this problem or if there's anything that can be done about it. My basement seems to be a great place to receive AM radio signals. My last amp would pick up AM radio sometimes, faintly. But the new Line6 Spider IV has it blaring, to the point where I can't really even play sometimes. I have what I thought was a decent cable, but maybe that's the problem. It just never did it this badly with my last amp. Anyway, when I turn on to jam it's like a total Spinal Tap Air Force Gig moment...drives me nuts!! Any ideas, or do I need to just buy another house...?

okcchief
06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I have that same amp and don't have that problem. It must be location.

Radar Chief
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Don't know if anyone else has this problem or if there's anything that can be done about it. My basement seems to be a great place to receive AM radio signals. My last amp would pick up AM radio sometimes, faintly. But the new Line6 Spider IV has it blaring, to the point where I can't really even play sometimes. I have what I thought was a decent cable, but maybe that's the problem. It just never did it this badly with my last amp. Anyway, when I turn on to jam it's like a total Spinal Tap Air Force Gig moment...drives me nuts!! Any ideas, or do I need to just buy another house...?

I know nothing about your amp but from an RF perspective the best way to eliminate interference is a proper ground.

Radar Chief
06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
I know nothing about your amp but from an RF perspective the best way to eliminate interference is a proper ground.

If youíve got a good ground to the outlet running your amp you can try some clip on ferrite beads like these.

http://www.camera2000.com/en/2-lots-tdk-clip-on-emi-rfi-filter-snap-around-ferrite.html

Try them on your power cord, pickup cord, even move them around and see if you can choke the interference off where its coming in.
At least these are the first steps I go through when working on an RFI issue.

L.A. Chieffan
06-08-2012, 10:47 AM
ground loop isolater from radioshack? like twenty bucks

Garcia Bronco
06-08-2012, 10:53 AM

You need to ground you amp so it doesn't pick up the radio signal.

notorious
06-08-2012, 11:16 AM
My subwoofer in my old apartment 15 years ago picked up police transmissions.

I had an old black and white TV when I was 11-12 that could pick up telephone conversations.

Weird shit can happen if you have coiled up wire (voice coil) and a moving diaphram.

otherstar
06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I used to have that problem with the Line 6 I had, and my Fender solid state amp as well (and we live in an older house with some ground issues). Once I went to tube amps, I've not had the problem.

Ace Gunner
06-08-2012, 11:18 AM

you need to redo your ground post. put a new one in and run 14ga to your outlets, get rid of the originals.

Kerberos
06-08-2012, 11:19 AM
EVH 5150 amp :)

Vegas_Dave
06-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Not sure if you have received any answer yet but perhaps its your ground...

Seriously, do people even read what is posted before posting?

Radar Chief
06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
My subwoofer in my old apartment 15 years ago picked up police transmissions.

I had an old black and white TV when I was 11-12 that could pick up telephone conversations.

Weird shit can happen if you have coiled up wire (voice coil) and a moving diaphram.

In my old house we had a neighbor that was a HAM guy, had a big, for a residential area, tower for short wave and Iíd pick up his transmissions on my stereo. Not loud though and it was a one sided conversation since I couldnít hear who he was talking too.

Radar Chief
06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Not sure if you have received any answer yet but perhaps its your ground...

Seriously, do people even read what is posted before posting?

:LOL: I donít know if itís been mentioned yet but it could be the ground line.

Rain Man
06-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Having read all of the previous posts, my guess would be that you need a ground.

JD10367
06-08-2012, 12:16 PM
I have no help. Aside from maybe trying a ground wire.

I just wanted to hear this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hjg39XRkjVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lzen
06-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Have you tried sticking a fork in the outlet?

Jawshco
06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
In my old house we had a neighbor that was a HAM guy, had a big, for a residential area, tower for short wave and Iíd pick up his transmissions on my stereo. Not loud though and it was a one sided conversation since I couldnít hear who he was talking too.

Ha! When I was teen I used to practice in small church in Joplin with my Alternative band, and there was a HAM radio dude who would say crap to us through my old school tube Sun bass rig. It kind of scared us the first time we heard the mystery voice. By the time we figured it out he would say things like "Yer, gittin' kinna' loud there boys." So we'd yell crap back to him and play louder. Stupid stuff.

I've never had an issues with my Line 6 guitar amp, nor my Fender Bassman, but when I power down my Ampeg solid state bass head, it will loudly blast a Mexican Radio signal through our sound system for about 3-4 seconds if our soundguy doesn't quickly mute my channel.

God of Thunder
06-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Pansy Amps!..........let me show you my "real" amp.....

My 1978 Marshall 100w JMP.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/Paithology101/DSC_1287.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/Paithology101/DSC_1289.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/Paithology101/DSC_1286.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/Paithology101/DSC_1283.jpg

But seriously though, I have no issues, it must be your location. Do you have a big tower nearby or anything?

Munson
06-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Turn on the amp, and pour a bucket of water on top of it. Problem solved! No more radio signals.ROFL

Marcellus
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
When tracking some guitar tracks in the studio we had a fuzz pedal that started picking up a religious radio station. We recorded a bunch of it and punched a little of it into the song we were recording at the begin and end with some reverb and delay on it. Sounds pretty cool, just some random fire and brimstone stuff. Kind of fit the song so we used it.

qabbaan
06-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I've had this happen. You just need to switch out every component one by one until its found.

I had this happen recently and it was related to pedals. I have a Fulltone Fulldrive pedal which has a boost feature. When I turned the boost on I could hear FM radio clearly. But when I ran the pedal alone with everything else unplugged, no radio. Eventually what I think I discovered that the pedal next to it (an old one from the closet) was putting out the interference because when that pedal was gone everything was quiet on the Fulldrive again. It wasn't just the Fulldrive picking it up, I have a Keeley compressor that it was causing problems with too. You could hold the two together and move them apart and hear radio go in and out.

This is a long way to say, move your pedals farther apart and see if it helps.

Heard some guys say they needed to shield the inside of their guitar or buy better cables too.

Maybe a power conditioner, for your outlets?

Ace Gunner
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Pansy Amps!..........let me show you my "real" amp.....

My 1978 Marshall 100w JMP.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/Paithology101/DSC_1287.jpg

Now that is an amp :D

cmh6476
06-08-2012, 03:59 PM
maybe check the ground

InChiefsHell
06-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks fellas! I'm thinking it may be a ground issue... :)

First I tried hooking up my wireless, and the problem was the same. Then I went out to the garage, same issue wireless or wired. Then I took it to a local music store and plugged in...no noise whatsoever with the wired or wireless connection. I guess my whole friggin' house is probably grounded shitty or something.

...so since we've all established the probability of a ground problem, is it just a matter of replacing outlets or is there some other shit I gotta do?

I don't know jack about electricity. I can do all kinds of other shit, but I never really mess with ol' sparky...

Ace Gunner
06-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Go to a hardware store and get a grounding rod and a sledge hammer. Get the clamps that fit the rod too, you'll use those to run separate wires. Get 100ft of 14 ga green wire and an auger bit to fish the wire through your walls. get some wall patch to close those holes. If you want to be fancy and go code, use conduit to fish you wires in. You'll need to identify exact spots you need to ground, exact outlets. You'll need to pull your outlets from the boxes, so, you may need some new outlets to replace the old ones. Use the same whit/black connections but cut off the green wires and use a wire nut to insulate them from ever touching anything again. Make sure you get that rod at least 3 feet into the ground and make sure you shut off the breaker to each circuit you are working. You get the idea?

Bugeater
06-09-2012, 08:14 AM
I'd call an electrician.

Ace Gunner
06-09-2012, 08:20 AM
I'd call an electrician.

or, if you can afford it, ya, find a guy that will do it for a reasonable fee and doesn't want to redo your whole house. the thing is, there are a lot of people out of work calling themselves repairmen, that will fuck you up. This isn't a big job really.

InChiefsHell
06-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Go to a hardware store and get a grounding rod and a sledge hammer. Get the clamps that fit the rod too, you'll use those to run separate wires. Get 100ft of 14 ga green wire and an auger bit to fish the wire through your walls. get some wall patch to close those holes. If you want to be fancy and go code, use conduit to fish you wires in. You'll need to identify exact spots you need to ground, exact outlets. You'll need to pull your outlets from the boxes, so, you may need some new outlets to replace the old ones. Use the same whit/black connections but cut off the green wires and use a wire nut to insulate them from ever touching anything again. Make sure you get that rod at least 3 feet into the ground and make sure you shut off the breaker to each circuit you are working. You get the idea?

:spock: I'm cowering in a corner right now. Heh.

Bugeater
06-09-2012, 08:29 AM
How old is your house?

Ace Gunner
06-09-2012, 08:33 AM
:spock: I'm cowering in a corner right now. Heh.

You can do it. There are youtube vids and I'd be happy to talk you through it. But you need to get your head wrapped around the task before you start.

beach tribe
06-09-2012, 08:36 AM
You can't hear it unless you have headphones on, but my amp picks up radio signals of people talking...............
in German.
It is weird.

Fat Elvis
06-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I doubt it is the ground. I watched Gilligan's Island, and I remember Gilligan picking up radio stations when he opened his mouth because of his fillings. My best guess is that when you open your mouth near the amp you hear radio stations. You might just want to visit the dentist and let him drill on your teeth a bit and redo any fillings you might have.

You could also be hallucinating. If that is the case, you should make an appointment with a psychiatrist. There are amazing drugs out there that are very good at preventing audible hallucinations.

It could also be a poltergiest making noises in your basement. You should seek out a priest and get your house exorcised.

It is probably one of those three things. Work through those possibilities. Your problem should be taken care of, if not, you could check to make sure your amp is properly grounded.

"Bob" Dobbs
06-09-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm thinking you pretty much have to have a radio station very close to you. Call them and get a hold of their engineer. He'll know what to do and may even assist you. Couldn't hurt. Its possibly a ground issue as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

MahiMike
06-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I have that amp w/no issues. Guess KC is surpassing FCC regulations?

"Bob" Dobbs
06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
No. 99.9% of the time, interference is an issue with the receiving device, not the transmitter.
Posted via Mobile Device

InChiefsHell
06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
How old is your house?

1997. Celebrity home. Probably the cause right there...

Jewish Rabbi
06-10-2012, 01:42 AM
Is there an AIDS tree near your house? The same thing was happening to me until I cut that down.

ChiefsNow
06-10-2012, 03:49 AM
If the house is past a certain age, you MUST replace the house.

jk

Bugeater
06-10-2012, 07:13 AM
1997. Celebrity home. Probably the cause right there...
Eh, Celebrity makes a decent home. You can see where they cut some corners but they're nowhere near as bad as Hearthstone.

But that's new enough that everything should be wired properly. My house wasn't wired with grounded outlets originally, but the former owner installed some in various places but didn't bother to properly ground them. At least half of them have open grounds.