PDA

View Full Version : Misc Your favorite Comic book series?

ImAWalkingCorpse
06-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Just a little fun on a Saturday Morning. My favorite comic book series of all time is http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zD76GyK9Tjo/SYjRzbsaRII/AAAAAAAAAdM/ynwudlDLQvc/s400/ww17evans1973.jpg.
What's yours?

Rausch
06-09-2012, 08:35 AM
In order:
Hulk (mostly the Peter David years)
Uncanny X-Men (80s-late 90's)
Strangers in Paradise
Hate
Darkness (original run)
Ralph Snart

beach tribe
06-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Infinity Gauntlet.
Anything with Thanos.
Surfer.
Infinity War.

Rausch
06-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Infinity Gauntlet.
Anything with Thanos.
Surfer.
Infinity War.

:shake:

Bump
06-09-2012, 09:22 AM
X-Men - I think uncanny was my fav
Batman
Ghostrider series
The Punisher
Fantastic 4
Justice League

I wasn't an avid comic book reader, but I do remember enjoying those series the most.

lewdog
06-09-2012, 09:23 AM
I am an adult but thanks for asking.

Deberg_1990
06-09-2012, 09:27 AM
None of them. I enjoy getting laid.

Buck
06-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Probably Invincible.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/042/b/e/invincible_tpb_14_cover_by_wya-d39age8.jpg

Rausch
06-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Sorry you can't multi-task...

QuikSsurfer
06-09-2012, 10:37 AM

ROFL

Preacher series by Garth Ennis

http://thedailydani.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/preacher_texas.jpg

wazu
06-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Robotix. I actually bought and read cover to cover a couple of issues. No idea why but I remember liking it. Never read any others.

Pestilence
06-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Spawn

Lonewolf Ed
06-09-2012, 10:41 AM
The Avengers before Bendis...

kysirsoze
06-09-2012, 10:42 AM
ROFL

Preacher series by Garth Ennis

http://thedailydani.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/preacher_texas.jpg

Absolutely. Brutal, funny, intelligent. That comic's got everything.

Bowser
06-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Spawn

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fwO53m_-3fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aries Walker
06-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Great Lakes Avengers. Hilarious.

Bowser
06-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Back in the day, I was an X-Men, Spawn, and Silver Surfer guy. Beach Tribe and I had similar tastes.

Now, I like graphic novels more. I was never really a Justice League fan, but loved loved Kingdom Come. The Sinestro Corp Wars, Planet Hulk, Old Man Logan, Walking Dead, Y: The Last Man. I've heard some good things about Invincible, so I may check that out.

QuikSsurfer
06-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Spawn

Definitely one of my favorites when I was a kid. The best from Image Comics were Spawn and The Maxx.

Rausch
06-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Definitely one of my favorites when I was a kid. The best from Image Comics were Spawn and The Maxx.

No one else liked Darkenss?

Wtf?...

QuikSsurfer
06-09-2012, 10:59 AM
No one else liked Darkenss?

Wtf?...

I haven't read a single one or played either of the video games, unfortunately. I'll look into them.

Rausch
06-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I haven't read a single one or played either of the video games, unfortunately. I'll look into them.

The games are total $3it.

The comix are good stuff...

ThaVirus
06-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I was always into superheroes, not so much into comics. I have read a few though and tend to only like Spider-Man, X-Men and Batman comics. For me, a comic hinges like 90% on the drawing style and the rest on the actual storyline. I like the sleek, new style of the Ultimate comics so Ultimate Spider-Man and X-Men are cool. There was this one Batman comic I read with him fighting Superman with superb drawing. I want to say it was Kingdom Come but I could just be making that up. Batman is just cool as shit so I can enjoy any comic I read about him.

Speaking specifically, the comics I like the most are Wolverine: Origins, Marvel: Civil War and the Black Panther wedding with Storm.

Bowser
06-09-2012, 11:38 AM
I was always into superheroes, not so much into comics. I have read a few though and tend to only like Spider-Man, X-Men and Batman comics. For me, a comic hinges like 90% on the drawing style and the rest on the actual storyline. I like the sleek, new style of the Ultimate comics so Ultimate Spider-Man and X-Men are cool. There was this one Batman comic I read with him fighting Superman with superb drawing. I want to say it was Kingdom Come but I could just be making that up. Batman is just cool as shit so I can enjoy any comic I read about him.

Speaking specifically, the comics I like the most are Wolverine: Origins, Marvel: Civil War and the Black Panther wedding with Storm.

I think you're talking about The Dark Knight Returns. Bats takes on Supes, who is then an agent for the governrment. In that story, Bats is like 60 years old. Another great graphic novel read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns

Simply Red
06-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Archie, bro, Archie.

Detoxing
06-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Spawn.

The only comic series i was able to ever get into.

Munson
06-09-2012, 11:50 AM
in the early to mid 90's:

X-Men
The Death of Superman

ThaVirus
06-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I think you're talking about The Dark Knight Returns. Bats takes on Supes, who is then an agent for the governrment. In that story, Bats is like 60 years old. Another great graphic novel read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns

I just Googled it and I think it was from Hush. This still came up in the query and it matches the drawing style I like.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jsNaQed5wEM/TW8eMoZYiVI/AAAAAAAAAAM/XCNxXrjD8DU/s400/batman-smacks-the-shit-out-of-superman.jpg

Plus the one I was talking about, I remember Superman being under mind-control. Apprently it was Poison Ivy.

ThaVirus
06-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Also, Michael Turner is a beast. Anything he draws is amazing.

big nasty kcnut
06-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Justice leagues
Justice society
The flash

Jawshco
06-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Ennis' "Welcome Back Frank" Series for the Punisher was pretty great.

I love most anything Batman. "Justice League: Tower of Babel" Shows why he's the ultimate badass. "Hush," "The Dark Knight Returns," "Year One," and "The Killing Joke," were all pretty awesome.

Superman- "For the Man who Has Everything," is one of the best comic books ever. All-Star Superman is also pretty Great.

We3 was a good one if you're looking for something off the wall.

Runaways was probably one of the best concepts for a comic, I'd read when it first came out. Once the traitor was identified, it went steeply down hill, but up until then it's one of my favorites of all time.

I still love Walking Dead... The Prison/Governor stories were the best ones, IMO. It's starting to get interesting again.

I'll agree about Preacher being one of the best adult comics.

Darkness? It's uneven in quality, but the initial story line before he began interacting with the Angles was cool. I kind of got convoluted for me after than point.

I'm not much of a fan of the X-men anymore, but a somewhat recent Uncanny X-Force story line where they're hunting a new Apocalypse in the form of a child was pretty great. Of course they ruin the impact of the ending in subsequent X-titles like they often do, but that's just typical of X-men crap.
X-Factor and Maddrox have had some really good runs in the past when Peter David is at the helm.

Brubaker's Captain America: Winter Soldier run is really good. I've never liked the ol' Cap, so to have any comic writer make me care about his comic seemed unlikely to me, but Brubaker did it. Mark Waid's Rebirth series isn't half bad either.

beach tribe
06-09-2012, 01:47 PM
:shake:
You're kidding right?
IG was the best Comic book story ever that consisted of 10 issues or less.
Thanos is the greatest villain ever.
I guess you're more into the awesome writing that goes into "Hulk strongest!!"
I was into the big conflicts. I do like the Hulk BTW.
And SS rocked as a young boy.
I also liked Secret Wars.

ThaVirus
06-09-2012, 02:12 PM
I love most anything Batman. "Justice League: Tower of Babel" Shows why he's the ultimate badass. "Hush," "The Dark Knight Returns," "Year One," and "The Killing Joke," were all pretty awesome.

Hell yeah, a contingency plan for each and every member of the JL in case they ever went rogue; Batman is tits. Also, I've never read any of those graphic novels. I've heard great things about all of them but just never went out and bought them, although this thread is making me really want to.

As a side note, was anyone interested in Iron Man before Downey Jr? It's amazing the level of fame his charisma has brought to the character.

Psyko Tek
06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
invincible rocks
preacher was great
check out
Uncorruptible, and irredeemable

I like bendis, so new avengers and Powers
Scalped
ATOMIC ROBO for good old swashbuckling science
liking the new batman and detective, X-factor
anything By Ennis, or Ellis

the first 3 volumes of The Authority

Psyko Tek
06-09-2012, 04:06 PM
The Boys
drunken comic geek
I'll stop now
Mark Waid
anything by Brubaker

Aries Walker
06-09-2012, 04:06 PM
As a side note, was anyone interested in Iron Man before Downey Jr? It's amazing the level of fame his charisma has brought to the character.
Yes, lots of people, actually. His "Armor Wars" was a big deal, and he acted like - well, not quite a villain, but certainly an antagonist (and a bit of a dick) in "Civil War".

whoman69
06-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Teen Titans with Wolfman and Perez
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4/18575-3036-20776-1-new-teen-titans-the_super.jpg
Watchmen
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/Watchmencovers.png/250px-Watchmencovers.png
Scout
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/26700/502567-scouttpb.jpg

boogblaster
06-09-2012, 06:04 PM
ole-school .. sgt. rock .....

Jamie
06-09-2012, 09:01 PM
In terms of superheroes, my all time favorite run is Morrison on New X-Men. My favorite current runs (as in, runs that are still ongoing) are Azzarello on Wonder Woman, Lemire on Animal Man, Rucka on Punisher, and Hickman on Fantastic Four/FF.

Jawshco
06-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Hell yeah, a contingency plan for each and every member of the JL in case they ever went rogue; Batman is tits. Also, I've never read any of those graphic novels. I've heard great things about all of them but just never went out and bought them, although this thread is making me really want to.

Not a huge Iron Man fan, but Extremis kicked ass. That's my all time favorite Iron Man story.

Rausch
06-11-2012, 07:16 AM
You're kidding right?
IG was the best Comic book story ever that consisted of 10 issues or less.
Thanos is the greatest villain ever.

I liked Inferno and the AOE better.

And Thanos is a bad man but I prefer the more classic bad guys like Doom, Magneto, and Apocalypse.

I guess you're more into the awesome writing that goes into "Hulk strongest!!"

I would highly recommend the Peter David run on Hulk. His whole thing was turning the Hulk into Banner's "bad side" instead of some Frankenstein that can bench press a skyscraper.

The "Joe Fixit" and "Professor" Hulk stories were very good. Peter Davids GN's Visionaries series is probably the best period of the Hulk.

http://www.incrediblehulkonline.com/professor4.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Hulk-Visionaries-Peter-David/dp/0785115412

Toadkiller
06-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Y the last man! Seriously give it a read. Fantastic.

Jawshco
06-12-2012, 04:03 PM
I have a couple volumes of "Y the Last Man," and is pretty darn great to start with. I think my interest started to wane a little bit at the end of the second volume, but I've thought about picking up another one. From a male standpoint, this "What If," usually brings up the idea of a pretty obvious fantasy that I didn't see explored in the first two volumes, and I do find myself wondering if they ever got around to doing something like that in the later issues. Since most of the ladies seemed anti-man it didn't happen right away, but it's going to happen right?

If you all like graphic novels that aren't exactly comic books, I think "Locke and Key," is one of the better titles out there right now. It's a very a creative and twisted story by Joe Hill about a family who live in a house filled with supernatural keys that open up locks into a ton of different crazy twighlight zone-type possibilities. It's fun enough to enjoy, but dark enough to give you nightmares if you read it too late at night. As much as I love the books by Joe's father, Stephen King- I'm starting to the think Joe might be becoming the more creative writer, or at the very least the more surreal writer. I'd rank this title right up there with great books like "Walking Dead" and the amazing "Sweet Tooth."

If you like the fun and brutality of the "Invincible" comic- I'd also recommend the "The Strange Talents of Luther Strode." The ending felt a little rushed and didn't quite live up to the amazing premise, but it was still pretty darn stellar.

(This thread might be better served moved to Media forum, IMO)

ImAWalkingCorpse
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I also liked the Battle Star Galactica comics as well.

whoman69
06-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Forgot about Judge Dredd. Much better than the abortion that Stallone put out.

stonedstooge
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
First series I enjoyed were the "Turok, Son of Stone" comics. Since, I like "The Amazing Spiderman" and "Batman" books