PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Best way to cook ribs?

BossChief
06-09-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm usually a burger/brats guy but today I thought I'd try my hand at cooking some pork loin ribs on the grill. My grill is gas and has three burners.

Before I start, I thought I'd consult the many experts we have on here from the best place for BBQ in the USA.

I have 2 4 pound racks to work with.

What's the best way to do this?

Sorry if repost.

JoeyChuckles
06-09-2012, 02:02 PM
I would cook them until they are done, and then eat them.

That's just me though.

cdcox
06-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Boil them and rub them with liquid smoke.

Canofbier
06-09-2012, 02:07 PM

:banghead:

Boiling ribs should be illegal.

Canofbier
06-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Unless it's in one of those nifty sealed bags, maybe. All the flavor, fat and moisture leaves the meat otherwise.

BossChief
06-09-2012, 02:11 PM

That doesnt sound good.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Microwave pink slime, add cheap sauce, and serve on a bun. Millions and millions served.

cdcox
06-09-2012, 02:17 PM
That doesnt sound good.

This thread probably has some better ideas:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3991937

Phobia
06-09-2012, 02:17 PM
3-2-1: 3 hours unwrapped and rubbed at 225; 2 hours foiled; 1 hour unwrapped and either mopped or slathered with your favorite sauce. Can't go wrong with that for beginners. Eventually you'll develop your own style and preferences but for first time, employ 3-2-1

BossChief
06-09-2012, 02:21 PM
3-2-1: 3 hours unwrapped and rubbed at 225; 2 hours foiled; 1 hour unwrapped and either mopped or slathered with your favorite sauce. Can't go wrong with that for beginners. Eventually you'll develop your own style and preferences but for first time, employ 3-2-1

On the grill or in the oven for best results?

Thanks btw

cabletech94
06-09-2012, 02:39 PM
On the grill or in the oven for best results?

Thanks btw

just watched guys big bite this morning. he did an oven baked method. after they were done (around 2 hours i think) they looked fantastic.

i've never cooked ribs myself for fear of ruining a semi-expensive meal, but after watching it this morning, i may try.

re: looks faster than smoking

buddha
06-09-2012, 03:01 PM
just watched guys big bite this morning. he did an oven baked method. after they were done (around 2 hours i think) they looked fantastic.

i've never cooked ribs myself for fear of ruining a semi-expensive meal, but after watching it this morning, i may try.

re: looks faster than smoking

Faster does not equal better.

Smoking is always better. Low and slow. Keep the temp around 230-250, with indirect heat. You can finish them over some heat and low flame to caramelize the sauce onto the ribs. The best advice comes next...when they are done, take them off and wrap them in foil for at least 30 mins. The meat has to have time to relax.

I've produced decent quick ribs on the grill, but they are never as good as doing them in a smoker and taking the time.

When in doubt, start with baby backs and work your way up to spare ribs. baby backs are much more forgiving.

Stewie
06-09-2012, 03:51 PM

If you put baby back ribs on a gas grill for three hours (to start) feed it to the dog.

Johnny Vegas
06-09-2012, 03:53 PM
always apply the bbq last. leave it on long enough to caramelize and get a sticky layer.

BossChief
06-09-2012, 03:55 PM
If you put baby back ribs on a gas grill for three hours (to start) feed it to the dog.

Yeah...I checked a cookbook I have for cooking times and it says at medium heat it should be 90-110 minutes.

Pretty sure Phil was trying to check for common sense or just trying to be a dick and have me ruin 25 bucks in ribs.

Oh well.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Faster does not equal better.

Smoking is always better. Low and slow.

I agree and did an 11 hour smoke on some ribs last weekend. I kept it at 180-185 for most of the time and did the last 40 minutes at 250-275. Everyone who had them, claimed they were the best ribs they had ever had. It just depends on how much time you have, and what kind of smoker.

I use a Yoder YS640

http://assets.smokingmeatforums.com/5/53/534fecfd_DSCN0507.JPG

lewdog
06-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I just did it on my gas grill last weekend. Indirect heat, pretty low temp and mine took about 100 mins and were damn good. Thick layer of BBQ at the end and turn the heat to med-hi to carmalize the ouside and get some char for 5 mins.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
One other thing, this is a decent base guide. To tell if they are done, I use the bend test.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/are_they_ready.html

http://www.amazingribs.com/images/pix/bend_test.jpg

BossChief
06-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I just did it on my gas grill last weekend. Indirect heat, pretty low temp and mine took about 100 mins and were damn good. Thick layer of BBQ at the end and turn the heat to med-hi to carmalize the ouside and get some char for 5 mins.

This is pretty much what I'm doing.

First, i dried em off and sprayed em with a apple juice/vinegar mixture, removed the membrane and then I put on a good layer of famous daves rub along with cracked pepper and sea salt and then wrapped em in foil and got the grill to around 230-240 and I'm spraying them every 30 minutes with the apple sauce/vinegar mixture.

I plan on taking the foil off after around an hour on the grill and saucing them around the 90 minute mark.

I'm cooking them bone down.

They have been on around 40 minutes right now.

Anything I should change?

Gonzo
06-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I agree and did an 11 hour smoke on some ribs last weekend. I kept it at 180-185 for most of the time and did the last 40 minutes at 250-275. Everyone who had them, claimed they were the best ribs they had ever had. It just depends on how much time you have, and what kind of smoker.

I use a Yoder YS640

http://assets.smokingmeatforums.com/5/53/534fecfd_DSCN0507.JPG

This

Gonzo
06-09-2012, 04:21 PM
My bradley smoker is awesome, btw. Auto-feeds the wood every hour.

Phobia
06-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Yeah...I checked a cookbook I have for cooking times and it says at medium heat it should be 90-110 minutes.

Pretty sure Phil was trying to check for common sense or just trying to be a dick and have me ruin 25 bucks in ribs.

Oh well.

It says @225 - indirect heat is implied. If you want to slow-cook tough meat on a gas grill then you'll have to learn how to turn one burner on and put the meat to the other side. I'm not looking to ruin anybody's cut of meat whatsoever. I just did a pork shoulder on my old man's gas grill a couple weeks ago using this method and it would have worked fine with the 3-2-1 method for ribs as well.

Phobia
06-09-2012, 06:19 PM

I usually smoke my ribs <200 as well for longer and I rarely foil them at all. It gives them a "jerky" texture that won't do well in competitions but everybody raves about my ribs when I do them this way.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
It says @225 - indirect heat is implied. If you want to slow-cook tough meat on a gas grill then you'll have to learn how to turn one burner on and put the meat to the other side. I'm not looking to ruin anybody's cut of meat whatsoever. I just did a pork shoulder on my old man's gas grill a couple weeks ago using this method and it would have worked fine with the 3-2-1 method for ribs as well.

Yeah, I didn't figure you were going for the "Phil the meat wrecker," angle. I know you take your Q pretty seriously.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I usually smoke my ribs <200 as well for longer and I rarely foil them at all. It gives them a "jerky" texture that won't do well in competitions but everybody raves about my ribs when I do them this way.

I agree and it sucks up more of a guys day, but in the end, a guy will have very tasty ribs.

cabletech94
06-09-2012, 06:22 PM
This is pretty much what I'm doing.

First, i dried em off and sprayed em with a apple juice/vinegar mixture, removed the membrane and then I put on a good layer of famous daves rub along with cracked pepper and sea salt and then wrapped em in foil and got the grill to around 230-240 and I'm spraying them every 30 minutes with the apple sauce/vinegar mixture.

I plan on taking the foil off after around an hour on the grill and saucing them around the 90 minute mark.

I'm cooking them bone down.

They have been on around 40 minutes right now.

Anything I should change?

how hard is it to remove the membrane? just wondering. guy f. says that his butcher does it for him. i'm sure i could do it. just don't want to eff it up.

Phobia
06-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I didn't figure you were going for the "Phil the meat wrecker," angle. I know you take your Q pretty seriously.

I'm throwing a brisket on in a few minutes. Had a growler of beer go bad on me a couple weeks ago so I just saved it for a marinade. It's been sitting in that for a couple hours now. Should be interesting. I don't usually marinate in beer.

Phobia
06-09-2012, 06:25 PM
how hard is it to remove the membrane? just wondering. guy f. says that his butcher does it for him. i'm sure i could do it. just don't want to eff it up.

Grab it with a paper towel and pull. Tooge taught me this several years ago. Gives you enough grip to tear it right off. I used to use everything from pliers to filet knives and nothing works better than a paper towel.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm throwing a brisket on in a few minutes. Had a growler of beer go bad on me a couple weeks ago so I just saved it for a marinade. It's been sitting in that for a couple hours now. Should be interesting. I don't usually marinate in beer.

A 2-3 hour soak won't hurt you a bit. I take it the brisket will be an all night slow cook, AKA, tomorrows meal?

cabletech94
06-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Grab it with a paper towel and pull. Tooge taught me this several years ago. Gives you enough grip to tear it right off. I used to use everything from pliers to filet knives and nothing works better than a paper towel.

cool. i just may buy one tomorrow. thanks for the help.

Fried Meat Ball!

What do you mean the beer went bad in the growler? If it went bad, why would you use it in a marinade? The conventional wisdom for beers/wines in cooking is don't use it unless you'd be willing to drink it.

mlyonsd
how hard is it to remove the membrane? just wondering. guy f. says that his butcher does it for him. i'm sure i could do it. just don't want to eff it up.Easy once you get the hang of it. Start on the narrow end of the rack. Use a thin knife or your fingernails to get it started. Pull evenly down the rack. Should come off in one piece.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-09-2012, 06:28 PM
cool. i just may buy one tomorrow. thanks for the help.

Use a butter knife to get it started. Slide the knife tip in under the silverskin a couple inches from the end and pry up. Slip your finger in to loosen it up so you can grab it with the paper towel.

Phobia
06-09-2012, 06:29 PM
What do you mean the beer went bad in the growler? If it went bad, why would you use it in a marinade? The conventional wisdom for beers/wines in cooking is don't use it unless you'd be willing to drink it.
I didn't drink it 3 days after it was poured. Tried some on the 5th day and it was flat. Probably still drinkable but not for me. It's not like it soured or anything. It was just flat.

Phobia
06-09-2012, 06:30 PM
A 2-3 hour soak won't hurt you a bit. I take it the brisket will be an all night slow cook, AKA, tomorrows meal?

Tomorrow's meal, Monday's, Tuesdays, and probably Wednesday as well.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I didn't drink it 3 days after it was poured. Tried some on the 5th day and it was flat. Probably still drinkable but not for me. It's not like it soured or anything. It was just flat.

Gotcha. I was thinking it skunked or something. Hadn't thought about it going flat. :thumb:

Bwana
06-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Tomorrow's meal, Monday's, Tuesdays, and probably Wednesday as well.

Nice, how big is this Brisketzilla?

Phobia
06-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Nice, how big is this Brisketzilla?

13-14 lbs. The pregnant wife is craving fruit and potato more than meat so she'll probably save most of it for me.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 06:36 PM
13-14 lbs.

Very nice and what temp are you going for, for the overnight smoke, the 180-195 range?

3rd&48ers
06-09-2012, 06:38 PM
turn the grill on one side
put ribs on the other side

300 degrees for 2.5 hours and they will fall off the bone.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-09-2012, 06:42 PM
turn the grill on one side
put ribs on the other side

300 degrees for 2.5 hours and they will fall off the bone.

If they're falling off the bone, they're overcooked.

mlyonsd
06-09-2012, 06:52 PM
If they're falling off the bone, they're overcooked.I wonder if this is a regional thing? Everyone up here likes their ribs falling off the bone, including me.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I wonder if this is a regional thing? Everyone up here likes their ribs falling off the bone, including me.

It may be, but here's what I go by. To each their own.

Ribs should not fall off the bone!

Properly cooked ribs will not not not fall off the bone! The only ribs that fall off the bone are ribs that have been boiled and steamed and that process usually robs them of flavor because water is a solvent. Steamed and boiled ribs usually have a mushy texture. Properly cooked ribs will pull cleanly off the bone with your teeth, but they will still have some resilience and chew, like a properly cooked steak, but not be tough. Remember, boiling meat is the way to make flavorful soup, not flavorful meat.

3rd&48ers
06-09-2012, 07:00 PM
If they're falling off the bone, they're overcooked.

Not by the way I like them... I am a dry rub kinda guy, I hate the sweet syrupy sauces....

3rd&48ers
06-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Also I have one of those infrared grills and you have to be an idiot to burn something on it or mess something up.

BigMeatballDave
06-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Not by the way I like them... I am a dry rub kinda guy, I hate the sweet syrupy sauces....

If the meat falls off the bone, its overcooked.

I like it both ways.

Phobia
06-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Very nice and what temp are you going for, for the overnight smoke, the 180-195 range?

Right around 200. Got some cherry and hickory going now. Might throw a little grape vine on there as well.

3rd&48ers
06-09-2012, 07:37 PM
If the meat falls off the bone, its overcooked.

I like it both ways.

I think that applies to beef ribs more than Baby Backs since they don't have the fat the beef ones do.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Right around 200. Got some cherry and hickory going now. Might throw a little grape vine on there as well.

I really need to pick up some cherry and roll with that for a smoke. I tend to stick to Apple and hickory, for the most part.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-09-2012, 07:44 PM

To each his own, I ain't hatin'. Some people like their steaks medium well or well done. That's overcooked. Doesn't mean it's "wrong." But if they're falling off the bone, they're overcooked.

Bump
06-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I dont recommend cooking ribs on a gas grill. I would go oven, but it's hot, so just grill them I guess. Dont cook it right over the flame.

3rd&48ers
06-09-2012, 08:01 PM
To each his own, I ain't hatin'. Some people like their steaks medium well or well done. That's overcooked. Doesn't mean it's "wrong." But if they're falling off the bone, they're overcooked.

Yup... I am with you on the steaks... they have to be Medium Rare for me. (Warm Red Center).. I have made short ribs and pot roast in a pressure cooker that were so tender you could barely pick them out of the pot with tongs without them falling apart... That may be overcooked to some but that's the way I like it. :thumb:

Fried Meat Ball!
06-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Yup... I am with you on the steaks... they have to be Medium Rare for me. (Warm Red Center).. I have made short ribs and pot roast in a pressure cooker that were so tender you could barely pick them out of the pot with tongs without them falling apart... That may be overcooked to some but that's the way I like it. :thumb:

I'm that way with carrots. I want carrots cooked in a roast until they're practically mush.

Steaks, med rare. Fish, generally med rare. Roast, well any braised meat should be well done, but not mushy. Ribs, just like they're supposed to be for competition. Just a little bite and pull.

3rd&48ers
06-09-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm that way with carrots. I want carrots cooked in a roast until they're practically mush.

Steaks, med rare. Fish, generally med rare. Roast, well any braised meat should be well done, but not mushy. Ribs, just like they're supposed to be for competition. Just a little bite and pull.

Just call me when it's time to eat

chop
06-09-2012, 08:35 PM
When do you stop adding the wood for smoke?

mlyonsd
06-09-2012, 08:40 PM
It may be, but here's what I go by. To each their own.

Absolutely. Whatever you like. Ribs are like chili, everyone has their own preferences.

BossChief
06-09-2012, 08:43 PM

Haha

There is always next time. As a BBQ n00b I didn't know to have this done with "indirect heat" and even with the cooking time drastically reduced, the bottoms burned but the ribs were still able to be eaten.

Everything was fine till I took em out of the foil using the method I described earlier...

Let's just say the top was perfect...haha.

So, next time I should light the left burner and put them on the right side with the times you posted? Thanks. I'm sure the next round will turn out much better than this one.

BossChief
06-09-2012, 08:49 PM
I dont recommend cooking ribs on a gas grill. I would go oven, but it's hot, so just grill them I guess. Dont cook it right over the flame.this is where I fucked up.

After 60 minutes covered in foil, they were close to done so I thought I could uncoil them and give em 10 minutes closer to the flame to get a little char.

Well, they got some char alright.

Lessons learned.

Groves
06-09-2012, 09:26 PM
When do you stop adding the wood for smoke?

They'll take in most of their smoke flavor in the first hour.

Phobia
06-09-2012, 09:54 PM
They'll take in most of their smoke flavor in the first hour.

Heh. Another highly controversial question and answer about smoking. Nobody agrees on how long you should add wood. Nobody.

Groves
06-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Heh. Another highly controversial question and answer about smoking. Nobody agrees on how long you should add wood. Nobody.

Absolutely true.

I think most people agree that if you're not smoking it the entire time, then it's best that you have your smoking portion at the beginning instead of the end.

And I'm sure there's a league of smoke-at-end people laughing right now.

aturnis
06-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Also I have one of those infrared grills and you have to be an idiot to burn something on it or mess something up.

You have one of the charbroil true infrared grills?

lewdog
06-09-2012, 11:17 PM
As a BBQ n00b I didn't know to have this done with "indirect heat" and even with the cooking time drastically reduced, the bottoms burned but the ribs were still able to be eaten.

Post #17 man, indirect heat! Seriously last weekend was the first time I have ever tried to cook ribs on my gas grill. The slower the better and I put them on foil but didn't close it and they turned out fine. I did 30 mins bone down, 30 mins meat down, 30 mins bone down. Then turned it up to medium heat, coated ribs in BBQ sauce and did meat down for 5 mins to give a char.

crazycoffey
06-09-2012, 11:56 PM
I read through a few posts, Phil always gives good bbq advise. My rib for a gas grill is this; thawed ribs put in a pan that holds the ribs and a beer or two. Put in the oven at low heat for three or four hours. Then over the flame with sauces of your choice for about 15-20 minutes. Longer if you hit it with high flames at first and then let it smolder for a bit.

I use cheap beer and gates bbq sauce.

crazycoffey
06-09-2012, 11:57 PM
But a good rub and smoked for a few hours is best imo.

3rd&48ers
06-10-2012, 07:06 AM
You have one of the charbroil true infrared grills?

Yup

bevischief
06-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Cook them in the oven for about 2 hours first. Then grill them.

BossChief
06-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Total, complete n00b question about indirect heat.

My grill has a top and bottom cooking level and three burners.

Is it better to have the left side burner going while I cook them on the bottom right side...or to cook em on the top?

3rd&48ers
06-10-2012, 01:24 PM

Is it better to have the left side burner going while I cook them on the bottom right side...or to cook em on the top?

one side on, meat on the other side

Phobia
06-10-2012, 01:58 PM

There should be a thermometer on your grill. It tells you what the temp is inside your grill. Put the meat on whichever level is nearest that thermometer so you can closely predict how long it will take to finish the meat.

lewdog
06-10-2012, 02:00 PM
There should be a thermometer on your grill. It tells you what the temp is inside your grill. Put the meat on whichever level is nearest that thermometer so you can closely predict how long it will take to finish the meat.

If you have a cheap ass grill like me, is there a thermostat I can buy to put in there so I know what temp it is?

Phobia
06-10-2012, 02:04 PM
If you have a cheap ass grill like me, is there a thermostat I can buy to put in there so I know what temp it is?

No. The only thermometers for grills are built in from the factory. Sorry. You're screwed.

lewdog
06-10-2012, 02:07 PM
No. The only thermometers for grills are built in from the factory. Sorry. You're screwed.

Really???

I figured there was something out there like that. Thanks for the heads up so I didn't spend hours looking for one! Gonna have to upgrade my grill soon I suppose.

Bwana
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM

:D

lewdog
06-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Get your smiling face out of here! I need a grill and smoker like you!

Bwana
06-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Get your smiling face out of here! I need a grill and smoker like you!

Get er done Lew!

cdcox
06-10-2012, 02:18 PM
thawed ribs

You're doing it wrong.

lewdog
06-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Get er done Lew!

Damn student loans. :crybaby:

Stewie
06-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Tractor Supply has a new line of smokers that are reasonably priced and on sale for Father's Day. I've checked both of them out and they are very nice for the price. One is better than Char Broil's side box smoker and the other is similar to Weber's Bullet.

If you want to give smoking a try for little money these are great deals.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/-1026349?cm_re=20120606-_-CNTR_2-_-Prod_Off_Price_1026349

http://www.tractorsupply.com/redstone-trade-professional-bbq-charcoal-smoker-1028251

sedated
06-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Really???

I figured there was something out there like that. Thanks for the heads up so I didn't spend hours looking for one! Gonna have to upgrade my grill soon I suppose.

He's f-ing with you. You can get an oven thermometer anywhere. Get one, BBQ should not be cooked without knowing the exact temp of whatever is cooking it, since 20 or 30 degrees can turn your meat into shoe leather. I keep mine between 200-225.

lewdog
06-10-2012, 02:50 PM
He's f-ing with you. You can get an oven thermometer anywhere. Get one, BBQ should not be cooked without knowing the exact temp of whatever is cooking it, since 20 or 30 degrees can turn your meat into shoe leather. I keep mine between 200-225.

ROFL Phobia you dirty asshole. ROFL

Too easy to mess with the noobs. Thanks, I will look into that.

Bwana
06-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Step up and spend a little extra on the thing. Buy a tel-tru commercial thermometer. They are more money, but very accurate and a lot of others out there, are not. If you buy a piece of shit, you will get piece of shit results. I would go with a 3" face as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-BQ300-Barbecue-Thermometer-degrees/dp/B001L4IIS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339363628&sr=8-1&keywords=tel+tru+thermometer+3%22

http://kck.com/tel-tru/tt-3-black.jpg

crazycoffey
06-10-2012, 03:12 PM
You're doing it wrong.

Cook your ribs frozen do you?

sedated
06-10-2012, 03:13 PM
I would go with a 3" face as well.

This. I love my oven thermometer, but my only complaint is that once it gets that brown crust on the face, that sh!t won't come off. Wish I had one that was easier to see through all that crap.

Also, place it where you can see if you have a window. I hate having to open my cooking devise to check the temp.

heapshake
06-10-2012, 04:09 PM

I would suggest getting a Maverick/Taylor type digital thermometer. You can poke it through a potato and leave the tip out right next to what you are cooking to read the pit temp and you can use it in the meat to check for doneness.

DJ's left nut
06-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Smoke to 145 degrees, IMO. I don't think smoke penetrates beyond that. It's why I like to put cold meat on the smoker rather than room temperature; longer climb time and a slightly better smoke ring.

Every now and again, I'll end up with an acrid sort of smoke flavor and what is clearly more of a black smoke than that pretty 'bark' brownish color.

Anyone have any idea why that is? I've smoked quite a bit of meat and it's generally not a problem, but I've had that happen to me twice now, once with chicken and once with ribs. I used hickory chunks that I soaked for a day or so one time and hickory chunks that I didn't soak at all the other time (my standard is hickory chunks with a 2-hour soak).

3rd&48ers
06-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Smoke to 145 degrees, IMO. I don't think smoke penetrates beyond that. It's why I like to put cold meat on the smoker rather than room temperature; longer climb time and a slightly better smoke ring.

Every now and again, I'll end up with an acrid sort of smoke flavor and what is clearly more of a black smoke than that pretty 'bark' brownish color.

Anyone have any idea why that is? I've smoked quite a bit of meat and it's generally not a problem, but I've had that happen to me twice now, once with chicken and once with ribs. I used hickory chunks that I soaked for a day or so one time and hickory chunks that I didn't soak at all the other time (my standard is hickory chunks with a 2-hour soak).

ROFLROFLROFL Sorry man

DJ's left nut
06-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Ah hell....guess I walked into that one.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-10-2012, 05:55 PM

You get that off flavor by the wood burning too hot.

3rd&48ers
06-10-2012, 05:59 PM
This may sound dumb but too much smoke in the meat tends to make me not feel well for several hours after eating... Don't know why

mlyonsd
06-10-2012, 05:59 PM
You get that off flavor by the wood burning too hot.I'm of the opinion you should smell smoke, not see it.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm of the opinion you should smell smoke, not see it.

If it's smoking black, it's no good. You want a basically transparent smoke.

Pablo
06-10-2012, 06:05 PM
You want to put them in a tupperware container filled with 8 cups of water. Then place in the microwave for 35 minutes. Finish with KC Masterpiece.

Easy BBQ.

OnTheWarpath58
06-10-2012, 06:10 PM
I would suggest getting a Maverick/Taylor type digital thermometer. You can poke it through a potato and leave the tip out right next to what you are cooking to read the pit temp and you can use it in the meat to check for doneness.

If you're serious about smoking, and are relatively new to the process, I'd recommend this:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html

One probe clipped to the grill to get surface temperature, the other can be used for a probe.

DJ's left nut
06-10-2012, 06:19 PM
You get that off flavor by the wood burning too hot.

So the dry chips and my cooking method probably created the problem this time. I'm betting the problem when I had the chunks I soaked for so long was that I had them placed directly on the element of an electric smoker (since retired; those things get way too hot for anything touchy).

I wasn't trying a full-on smoke with the chicken; I was doing beer-can chicken and threw some chunks in there to add a smoke flavor to what was otherwise a creole-injected frying bird with a chipotle dry-rub. The chicken was possibly the best chicken I've ever made, but the skin was just useless (really disappointing as that dry rub was excellent). The hot wood explanation makes perfect sense as the wood was just added to what was otherwise just indirect heat that I was running high enough to cook the chickens on a Weber. I wasn't monitoring the fire-side heat that closely at all.

Thankya, sir. Rep...unless you end up full of !@#$

cdcox
06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Cook your ribs frozen do you?

Don't freeze your meat.

crazycoffey
06-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Don't freeze your meat.

You never freeze.meat? I do sometimes. Good price on ribs, I buy a couple racks, cook one and freeze the other. But its wrong to freeze.

In a perfect world, I guess. But it was said for a level of clarity. Not realy worthy of your comment. As to your post; you are doing it wrong.... take troll lessons I guess.

aturnis
06-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Yup

How do you like it? Was looking to get something methinks as our unit is about kaput. Don't want to spend too much, if I were spending $800 like some of these guys, I 'do need an outdoor kitchen to put it in to justify the luxury.

3rd&48ers
06-11-2012, 05:42 AM
How do you like it? Was looking to get something methinks as our unit is about kaput. Don't want to spend too much, if I were spending $800 like some of these guys, I 'do need an outdoor kitchen to put it in to justify the luxury.

does steaks and ribs nicely ... BBQ Chicken is good too ... very easy to cook on... as I said earlier, you have to be an idiot to burn something on it, as a matter of fact you can put a lb of bacon on it and it won't flare up...

Nice sear lines on the steaks

I like it for a Gas job and it's easy.

Great Expectations
06-11-2012, 07:34 AM
This may sound dumb but too much smoke in the meat tends to make me not feel well for several hours after eating... Don't know why

There is probably MSG in the rub/sauce that is used in those instances.

tooge
06-11-2012, 07:47 AM
I generally smoke for about half of the cooking time. So, with ribs, I'm usually smoking for about 2.5 hours or so. Briskets and butts I never smoke more than 6 hours. I will foil them if they are gonna take longer than 12 hours. As far as using a gas grill, first off, get a charcoal grill, everything will taste better and it is much easier to use as a smoker. If you wont do that, then make some smoke packets by putting very small pieces (or pellets) of wood in some foil and poke holes in it. Place it over the heat and you will get some smoke flavor. That is probably the biggest problem with gas grills is that the flavor it too plain without the wood or charcoal imparting some flavor. Phil was right on with the 3-2-1 as a starting point. I run my smoker a little hotter, about 240 - 245 and I do mine for 3-1-1 and it ends up the same.