PDA

View Full Version : Environment Past year has been the hottest on record.

Direckshun
06-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Just natural global warming, right?

Earth just naturally heats and cools, right?

Right.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/231497-data-shows-us-experiencing-hottest-year-on-record-thus-far

Data show US experiencing hottest year on record thus far
By Ben Geman
06/07/12 12:35 PM ET

Federal data released Thursday show the United States has had its warmest spring, it's warmest year to date, and warmest 12-month stretch on record.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released figures showing that temperatures during the March-May period in the contiguous United States were far above average, according to records dating back over a century.

“The spring season's (March-May) nationally averaged temperature was 57.1°F, 5.2°F above the 1901-2000 long-term average, surpassing the previous warmest spring (1910) by 2.0°F,” NOAA reported.

NOAA, citing temperature data that extend back to the late 1800s, also reported that the first five months of 2012 were the warmest on record for the lower-48 states.

The average 2012 January-May temperature of 49.2 degrees was 5 degrees above the long-term average, while the last 12 months were also record-breaking. From NOAA:

The June 2011-May 2012 period was the warmest 12-month period of any 12 months on record for the contiguous United States. The nationally averaged temperature of 56.0°F was 3.2°F above the long-term average, surpassing the previous warmest 12-month period set last month by 0.4°F. The 12-month period encapsulated the second warmest summer, fourth warmest winter, and the warmest spring on record. Every state across the contiguous U.S. had warmer than average temperatures for the period, except Washington, which was near normal.

The month of May itself, however, did not set a new benchmark. The average of 64.3 degrees was 3.3 degrees above the long-term average, but that only made it the second-warmest on record.

Brainiac
06-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I say we immediately implement Cap & Trade and funnel billions of dollars to companies like Solyndra. /Direckshun

Direckshun
06-10-2012, 12:41 PM
I say we immediately implement Cap & Trade and funnel billions of dollars to companies like Solyndra. /Direckshun

What would you recommend?

Color me curious.

Bump
06-10-2012, 12:44 PM
DRR DRR DRR RUBBLE RUBBLE RUBBLE RUBBLE

this is proof that there is no such thing, a republican said it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BKcZA83HIfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brainiac
06-10-2012, 12:51 PM
What would you recommend?

Color me curious.
First, understand that Cap & Trade will accomplish exactly nothing if the USA unilaterally caps it emissions and the other countries don't do the same thing.

Second, understand that Cap & Trade simply creates an incredible government bureaucracy that STILL allows businesses to exceed their emissions limits as long as they play the game correctly.

Third, understand that pumping billions of dollars into companies like Solyndra because it's fashionable to invest in solar energy even when the companies you invest in don't have credible business plans is a bad idea.

I won't pretend to have a definitive answer for you regarding exactly what should be done regarding global warming, but I do know horrible and ineffective plans when I see them.

Direckshun
06-10-2012, 12:52 PM
I won't pretend to have a definitive answer for you regarding exactly what should be done regarding global warming, but I do know horrible and ineffective plans when I see them.

Name a single plan you've found intriguing, at least.

Or am I looking in the wrong place for answers.

Bowser
06-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Wasn't there research done some time back suggesting that if highrises in cities were to grow greenery on their roofs that the heat coming from cities would be reduced by X%? And if every major city in the world were to incorporate this, that the global average temperature would actually fall? Seems like that's how I remember it, but I'm not sure.

If that doesn't work, we could always cull the population by like 30% or so. Whichever works best, I guess.

Direckshun
06-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Wasn't there research done some time back suggesting that if highrises in cities were to grow greenery on their roofs that the heat coming from cities would be reduced by X%? And if every major city in the world were to incorporate this, that the global average temperature would actually fall? Seems like that's how I remember it, but I'm not sure.

Show me a link, if you can track it down. Sounds interesting...

Bowser
06-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Show me a link, if you can track it down. Sounds interesting...

Yeah, give me a few.....

Bowser
06-10-2012, 01:01 PM
It's called Skyfarming. The article is forever long, so I'll just link to the page...

http://nymag.com/news/features/30020/

HonestChieffan
06-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Politics attempting to cool the sun. Like bigfoot rumors, global warming will live forever. Stay tuned, winter will be cold.

JASONSAUTO
06-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Why was the temp hotter than the norm in 1910?
Posted via Mobile Device

Brainiac
06-10-2012, 01:31 PM
You know, we aren't even halfway through 2012, and yet we already have people proclaiming it to be the hottest year on record.

Come talk to me about global warming when 2012 turns out to be hotter than 1980. That year we had 17 consecutive days when the temperature was over 100 degrees in Kansas City. Nobody panicked. Nobody said the sky was falling. Nobody claimed that global warming is going to cause us all to die unless we take drastic steps to enrich Al Gore and his cronies.

If we have 17 consecutive days this year with temperatures over 100, people like Direckshun will be foaming at the mouth and screaming "See, I told you so!".

There will always be heat waves. There will always be cold spells. It's called weather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_United_States_heat_wave

RNR
06-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I am still worried about the ice age we are causing, we were warned about it when I was in school~

Brainiac
06-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Politics attempting to cool the sun. Like bigfoot rumors, global warming will live forever. Stay tuned, winter will be cold.
It will be called climate change and submitted as further proof of global warming. It's not like they didn't do that in 2010-2011.

Bump
06-10-2012, 01:39 PM
You know, we aren't even halfway through 2012, and yet we already have people proclaiming it to be the hottest year on record.

Come talk to me about global warming when 2012 turns out to be hotter than 1980. That year we had 17 consecutive days when the temperature was over 100 degrees in Kansas City. Nobody panicked. Nobody said the sky was falling. Nobody claimed that global warming is going to cause us all to die unless we take drastic steps to enrich Al Gore and his cronies.

If we have 17 consecutive days this year with temperatures over 100, people like Direckshun will be foaming at the mouth and screaming "See, I told you so!".

There will always be heat waves. There will always be cold spells. It's called weather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_United_States_heat_wave

compare Alaska then to Alaska now. Nobody truly knows or will be able to predict anything, but something's up! something's up alright!

JonesCrusher
06-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Executives in green companies are making record profits, it must be getting warmer.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2012, 02:05 PM
compare Alaska then to Alaska now. Nobody truly knows or will be able to predict anything, but something's up! something's up alright!

Yes, its called evolution.

The planet is evolving and changing.

Humans are a microcosm on Earth.

We have not been on this planet long enough to know how it truly behaves.

SNR
06-10-2012, 02:10 PM
How about the rest of the world? Have temperature studies been done in the countries where pollution is an overwhelming problem?

WilliamTheIrish
06-10-2012, 02:17 PM
I remember 1980. It was a record year for those consecutive 100* days. Thankfully I spent most of that summer watching George Brett hit neat .400 from the LF GA.

Stewie
06-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Are there people out there still hanging their hat on this bullshit? Is it coming back because the lag-time of the embarrassing made-up "scientific data" has been forgotten?

Bump
06-10-2012, 02:38 PM

shhhhhhh

evolution doesnt exist either. Teh bibel sayz so

mikey23545
06-10-2012, 03:38 PM
shhhhhhh

evolution doesnt exist either. Teh bibel sayz so

Weed hasn't left a single working brain cell in your head, has it?

stevieray
06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
LMAO

AustinChief
06-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Please don't tell me you're this stupid.

Hot years don't prove global warming (or climate change) any more then a cold year disproves it. If you think it does then you have a 3rd grader's understanding of the issue.

Iz Zat Chew
06-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Global Warming a Hoax. Or was it Global Cooling?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=global+warming+hoax&oq=Global+warm&aq=2&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.2.0l4.0.0.1.1281.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0.7tiysiZn-MI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=f9527876cbe36e00&biw=1280&bih=604

blaise
06-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm sure the people claiming this is very dire have completely stopped driving their cars and started biking to work.

InChiefsHell
06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
We're all going to die! RUN! GORE HAS THE SOLUTION!!

Geez people. Come back down to earth. Hottest year on record. Yeah, we were keeping records of this shit 500 years ago.

Idiots.

RaiderH8r
06-10-2012, 06:13 PM
It's been a pretty warm 15,000 years...give or take. And thank God for it. You ever try to grow crops on an ice cube?

alanm
06-10-2012, 06:19 PM
We're all going to die! RUN! GORE HAS THE SOLUTION!!

Geez people. Come back down to earth. Hottest year on record. Yeah, we were keeping records of this shit 500 years ago.

Idiots.And perhaps this coming winter will be the coldest on record. One never knows. What I do know is I don't believe the global warming Chicken Little's with their manipulated data.

listopencil
06-10-2012, 07:20 PM
How did the previous twelve month period historically relate?

Iowanian
06-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Why is it when a single year is cooler than normal, liberals point out that this isn't an example of climate change...but when it's warm.....well, teh hell is coming, winter 2012!

Brainiac
06-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Why is it when a single year is cooler than normal, liberals point out that this isn't an example of climate change...but when it's warm.....well, teh hell is coming, winter 2012!
Actually, they do call it climate change. They just say it's further proof that we need to implement Al Gore's agenda.

They win either way.

AustinChief
06-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Actually, they do call it climate change. They just say it's further proof that we need to implement Al Gore's agenda.

They win either way.

Yep. This is what happens when people latch on to bad agenda driven science...

(had to get the cross thread dig in...)

The fact is, we have no clue if we are significantly affecting the global climate. The "science" is far to young and doesn't even know what it doesn't know yet. The alarmists may very well be right, of course they could be 180 degrees wrong. Regardless, no one who has a clue on the issue would point to a hot (or cold) year as proof.

jjjayb
06-11-2012, 06:12 AM

Yes.

jjjayb
06-11-2012, 06:19 AM

Too bad humans couldn't have prevented the Continental shift by implementing some form of tax. We'd still be one big happy continent instead of 7. Maybe there'd be less wars. Maybe there'd be less pollution as we wouldn't need oil tankers. If only we'd had a tax to prevent it.

ChiTown
06-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Too bad humans couldn't have prevented the Continental shift by implementing some form of tax. We'd still be one big happy continent instead of 7. Maybe there'd be less wars. Maybe there'd be less pollution as we wouldn't need oil tankers. If only we'd had a tax to prevent it.

:LOL:

Well done.

patteeu
06-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Does this mean that the oceans haven't stopped rising afterall?

Garcia Bronco
06-11-2012, 11:33 AM
What's the hottest year NOT on record?

Bwana
06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Oh no!! We are doomed!

http://ccnerdfactory.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/4.gif

ThaVirus
06-11-2012, 03:06 PM
It's called Skyfarming. The article is forever long, so I'll just link to the page...

http://nymag.com/news/features/30020/

Wow. From that article:
After a strawberry farm in Florida was wiped out by Hurricane Andrew, the owners built a hydroponic farm. By growing strawberries indoors and stacking layers on top of each other, they now produce on one acre of land what used to require 30 acres.

Also:

Why build vertical farms in cities? Growing crops in a controlled environment has benefits: no animals to transfer disease through untreated waste; no massive crop failures as a result of weather-related disasters; less likelihood of genetically modified “rogue” strains entering the “natural” plant world. All food could be grown organically, without herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers, eliminating agricultural runoff. And 80 percent of the world’s population will be living in urban areas by 2050. Cities already have the density and infrastructure needed to support vertical farms, and super-green skyscrapers could supply not just food but energy, creating a truly self-sustaining environment

Good read, Bowser. Thanks.

bsp4444
06-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Executives in green companies are making record profits, it must be getting warmer.

Wrong. Solyndra went under, the bio diesel movement is struggling, ethenol plants are struggling. My guess is people assumed there would be record profits right away, but there will be a steep learning curve, first.

Iz Zat Chew
06-11-2012, 05:02 PM
What's the hottest year NOT on record?

It was that year when Al Gore visited and got a sunburn, nobody reported the high temperatures, they were fearful that Gore would sue because of their carbon footprint.

redsurfer11
06-11-2012, 07:31 PM

Right.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/231497-data-shows-us-experiencing-hottest-year-on-record-thus-far

Data show US experiencing hottest year on record thus far
By Ben Geman
06/07/12 12:35 PM ET

Federal data released Thursday show the United States has had its warmest spring, it's warmest year to date, and warmest 12-month stretch on record.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released figures showing that temperatures during the March-May period in the contiguous United States were far above average, according to records dating back over a century.

“The spring season's (March-May) nationally averaged temperature was 57.1°F, 5.2°F above the 1901-2000 long-term average, surpassing the previous warmest spring (1910) by 2.0°F,” NOAA reported.

NOAA, citing temperature data that extend back to the late 1800s, also reported that the first five months of 2012 were the warmest on record for the lower-48 states.

The average 2012 January-May temperature of 49.2 degrees was 5 degrees above the long-term average, while the last 12 months were also record-breaking. From NOAA:

The month of May itself, however, did not set a new benchmark. The average of 64.3 degrees was 3.3 degrees above the long-term average, but that only made it the second-warmest on record.

http://www.newschief.com/article/20120515/NEWS/205155012

BigMeatballDave
06-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I found a pic of Direckshun...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQolnH2Oi-Ej6ZM-GDQBqxqcY8WVNEWNrDLL3jhZ7gWCs2bVESUDLmvL_fh