PDA

View Full Version : Life The Art of Conversation.

Bump
06-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Here is another one of my wacky ideas and thoughts.

I am predicting that the art of conversation will evolve into it's demise. Perhaps not for our generation, the 30+'ers. But this current generation of youngsters, their primary tool for conversation is text and facebook.

I'm picturing a world where people will have trouble speaking to other people in one way or another. When people go out to dinner now, a lot of them just stick to communicating with other people through text or facebook on their phones, ignoring the people at the table with them. I think that this applies to most social settings.

We're evolving people and it may be backwards!

lewdog
06-10-2012, 12:38 PM
More work for speech therapists. I am cool with that.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-10-2012, 12:42 PM

I am predicting that the art of conversation will evolve into it's demise. Perhaps not for our generation, the 30+'ers. But this current generation of youngsters, their primary tool for conversation is text and facebook.

I'm picturing a world where people will have trouble speaking to other people in one way or another. When people go out to dinner now, a lot of them just stick to communicating with other people through text or facebook on their phones, ignoring the people at the table with them. I think that this applies to most social settings.

I'm going to go ahead and translate the OP into text speech so people can understand it in 100 years. I mean really, this is going to be like reading hieroglyphs and I just want to help a future brother out.

hre S nothA 1of my crazy ideas n thorts.

Im predicting dat d art of QSO wl Evolv N2 it's demise. praps nt 4 r gNR8N, d 30+'ers. bt dis current gNR8N of youngsters, their primary 2l 4 QSO S txt n facebook.

I'm picturing a wrld whr ppl wl av strife spkg 2 oder ppl n 1way or nothA. wen ppl go ot 2 dinA now, heaps of em jst adhere comunic8N W oder ppl thru txt or facebook on their fons, ignorin d ppl @ d table W em. I tnk dat dis applys 2 most social setngs.

We're evolving ppl n it may B backwards!

Clay's Mult
06-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Get of the house!

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I don't understand.

lewdog
06-10-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't understand.

Give me your number and I will text you about this.

Earthling
I'm going to go ahead and translate the OP into text speech so people can understand it in 100 years. I mean really, this is going to be like reading hieroglyphs and I just want to help a future brother out.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Rain Man
Yeah...I...uh...

Eh, not worth the trouble.

Bump
06-10-2012, 12:46 PM
it could be only 10-15 years from now where people will text each other when they are sitting next to each other, rather than speaking. I'm pretty sure that already exists atm too.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Give me your number and I will text you about this.

:clap:

Bob Dole
06-10-2012, 12:50 PM

2 mny k rackterz
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
06-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I agree, the youngsters these days just stare blankly at me when I'm screaming at them to get off my lawn.

Demonpenz
06-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Silence is awesome.

thurman merman
06-10-2012, 01:09 PM
We're pretty much there anyway. My brother-in-law just got married, and brought his new family here to visit (2 teenage kids and an 8-year-old). They were here for 3 or 4 days, and the two teenagers texted/facebooked about 57 minutes per hour, and the 8-year-old played video games nonstop all day. We spent about 5 minutes of the entire trip actually trying to have conversations with them. It was surreal. I didn't realize that human beings could be so incapable of communicating effectively in real life.

big nasty kcnut
06-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah i talked to my friend for almost 2 hours the other day and another friend for 48 mins so conversation not dying it's about who we care to talk to.

Canofbier
06-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah...I...uh...

Eh, not worth the trouble.

Yeah. If you honestly believe this to be true of an entire generation, then you're fooling yourself. Regardless, an internet message board is a pretty ironic place to be making this claim, especially considering the very high post count of so many members.

bricks
06-10-2012, 01:38 PM

This is the consequence of new technology like iPhones, texts, emails, etc.

Yeah it's handy and all, but it's so consuming that it's causing people to become desensitized from there actual surroundings. I predict our social skills will improve through new technology but will be extremely porous once expressed in the actual world.

I just simply believe stuff like texts, emails neglects us from practicing our social skills in person to person (face to face)

Clay's Mult
06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Silence is awesome.

Sounds boring!

Only time I like silence is in my bubble baths!

Okie_Apparition
06-10-2012, 01:53 PM
It will go the way of campfires & the horse

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Nothing a pitcher of Tropical Pinepple Mango can't cure

Buehler445
06-10-2012, 03:14 PM
it could be only 10-15 years from now where people will text each other when they are sitting next to each other, rather than speaking. I'm pretty sure that already exists atm too.

People are texting instead of talking while doing Ass To Mouth?

milkman
06-10-2012, 03:47 PM
I believe the future you are referring to is portrayed in the movie "Idiocracy".

Clay's Mult
06-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Nothing a pitcher of Tropical Pinepple Mango can't cure

Sounds awesome! :clap:

whoman69
06-10-2012, 04:36 PM
There's a commercial now for obesity, but its pretty spot on. In the commercial a boy calls his grandma on his cell phone to bring him another soda. Communication is degenerating.

Easy 6
06-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I simply could not agree with the op more, its gotten rickdickulous.

The other night i was in the McD's drive-through, looking out on the parking lot reminiscing where my generation hung out at times, a great spot to hook up for a bit, clown & plan other hijinx...

But it was totally ruined by the modern sight of 7-8 kids hanging out, maybe three actually engaging in conversation & goofs... the rest were sitting there 3 feet from one another completely absorbed in their glowing screens for Several minutes without ever once looking up to join the real world.

Really caught me off guard, but it took a few minutes for it to register just how un-interactive they all were, all doped up & glassy eyed on *jim carrey* Riddlers zombifying tv brainwarp.

Deberg_1990
06-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Wall-E predicted all this years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR
06-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Read Walter Ong, who categorized periods of human orality.

The transition from primary oral culture (peasants living in mud talking to each other because they were illiterate) to primary literary culture evolved the human consciousness exponentially. You know that whole sharp rise in human technological progress that's been taking place the last 500 years? Where we've discovered all that crazy shit? Yeah, thank the transition in communication medium.

We may very well be going through that transition again. I don't know what will come of it. We may turn into the Borg and be linked by a hive mind. We may be living in Huxley's world. Maybe we'll finally discover the key to planetary utopia. Who the fuck knows.

It's damn exciting is what it is. I wouldn't be concerned about stories of 8 year olds with cell phones who can't carry out conversations. Retards exist in every age. And I can guarangoddamntee person to person communication will never die out. Humans depend on it too much. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

I mean, the way we communicate person to person might change. Oh noes perish the thought! I mean, for fuck's sake, isn't that happening right now? Didn't it happen 10 years ago? 20 years ago? 50 years ago? Of course it fucking did.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: Quit yer bitching and go fist yourself with a flaming AIDS tree.

Bowser
06-10-2012, 05:50 PM

The transition from primary oral culture (peasants living in mud talking to each other because they were illiterate) to primary literary culture evolved the human consciousness exponentially. You know that whole sharp rise in human technological progress that's been taking place the last 500 years? Where we've discovered all that crazy shit? Yeah, thank the transition in communication medium.

We may very well be going through that transition again. I don't know what will come of it. We may turn into the Borg and be linked by a hive mind. We may be living in Huxley's world. Maybe we'll finally discover the key to planetary utopia. Who the fuck knows.

It's damn exciting is what it is. I wouldn't be concerned about stories of 8 year olds with cell phones who can't carry out conversations. Retards exist in every age. And I can guarangoddamntee person to person communication will never die out. Humans depend on it too much. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

I mean, the way we communicate person to person might change. Oh noes perish the thought! I mean, for fuck's sake, isn't that happening right now? Didn't it happen 10 years ago? 20 years ago? 50 years ago? Of course it fucking did.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: Quit yer bitching and go fist yourself with a flaming AIDS tree.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_bV091KTVpg/TmUIOiPZr8I/AAAAAAAAATU/f-XTwjxSx1w/s1600/art+thou+angered+my+brethren.jpg#You%20mad%20bro%3F%20gif%27s

Bump
06-10-2012, 05:54 PM

We may very well be going through that transition again. I don't know what will come of it. We may turn into the Borg and be linked by a hive mind. We may be living in Huxley's world. Maybe we'll finally discover the key to planetary utopia. Who the **** knows.

I mean, the way we communicate person to person might change. Oh noes perish the thought! I mean, for ****'s sake, isn't that happening right now? Didn't it happen 10 years ago? 20 years ago? 50 years ago? Of course it ****ing did.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/p0Cka.gif

SNR
06-10-2012, 05:56 PM
That's not a flaming AIDS tree.

Follow me on twitter and I'll hook you up bree

Easy 6
06-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Hive minds dont hold much appeal for me, and the potential future of somehow being 'mindlinked' into the intraweb is an incredibly daunting & darkly thought provoking subject to me.

I'm 100% behind evolving as a species, its the future & it IS exciting, space tourism is just a few glitch fixing years from becoming a reality, cutting edge propulsion methods are right there, probably much farther along than anyone would guess, thats just a few of the reasons why i'm as passionate about space travel & beyond that as i am.

But i still cant help but see a bit of humanity slowly slipping away... i LOVE human scientific potential right now, i just hope we somehow keep our identity.

milkman
06-10-2012, 09:13 PM

We may very well be going through that transition again. I don't know what will come of it. We may turn into the Borg and be linked by a hive mind. We may be living in Huxley's world. Maybe we'll finally discover the key to planetary utopia. Who the **** knows.

I mean, the way we communicate person to person might change. Oh noes perish the thought! I mean, for ****'s sake, isn't that happening right now? Didn't it happen 10 years ago? 20 years ago? 50 years ago? Of course it ****ing did.

I will not be assimilated.

Count Zarth
06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
We don't need to worry about any of this losing humanity bullshit as long as the liberals are running the country and women keep gaining power in society.

Now if the Chinese take over the world, maybe. Cus they're already a lot further along than we are to being a society of emotionless robots.

mr. tegu
06-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I simply could not agree with the op more, its gotten rickdickulous.

The other night i was in the McD's drive-through, looking out on the parking lot reminiscing where my generation hung out at times, a great spot to hook up for a bit, clown & plan other hijinx...

But it was totally ruined by the modern sight of 7-8 kids hanging out, maybe three actually engaging in conversation & goofs... the rest were sitting there 3 feet from one another completely absorbed in their glowing screens for Several minutes without ever once looking up to join the real world.

Really caught me off guard, but it took a few minutes for it to register just how un-interactive they all were, all doped up & glassy eyed on *jim carrey* Riddlers zombifying tv brainwarp.

The irony is that they use the Facebook and other methods to communicate to go hang out, but once they get there they do not communicate and use those methods to talk to other people not present.

It's like they think they are not cool unless they are so "popular" and "too cool" to talk to people in their presence so they have to talk to people over the Internet and portray the "I have a ton of friends" look.

|Zach|
06-10-2012, 09:43 PM

Well put. Young people write and create at a stunning rate these days. I don't really believe the idea of the demise of actual conversation. Yes, kids use their phones a lot but it isn't replacing conversation as a whole.

|Zach|
06-10-2012, 09:45 PM
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/p0Cka.gif

You spend a lot of time talking about things that make you unhappy.

Do you need a hug? The place you are...your job stuff...your education///video games...other people conversing...your country.

The bump life seems shitty from the outside looking in.

ThaVirus
06-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I fall under the age category that's often guilty of what you guys are talking about. Personally, I can't stand it either. I'm a talker. Love to talk and I feel like I'm good at it.

Anyway, I was recently talking to a girl on the phone and said "I have to talk to you about something". She said "if its bad, hang up and text or email it to me".

Also I remember having a convo at work a few years ago with mostly 18 year olds at the time. We were talking about dating and the beginning of relationships and what not. I said when I got a girls number, I preferred to call them. Every single one of the others said they'd text first because calling and talking on the phone would be weird.

Take from it what you will. I think its just the preference of being able to think about a response.

Bump
06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
wow, my good friend from Cali texts me this type of language all the time. I just told him I don't know what language that is.

WhT chqr u mKe

he's not a dumb guy either. Oh ok, he's blaming it on broken phone dialect, well don't use it!

Bearcat
06-11-2012, 01:24 PM

Too bad Skip isn't around... he could tell us if people made these same predictions when the phone was invented. (insert some quote from 14AD about how society is going down the shitter)

tooge
06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
brings up a couple of my pet peeves. If a buddy asks me to meet for a beer or lunch, or if we are driving on a fishin trip somewhere, or if we are golfing, then don't spend half the time checking emails and texts on the phone. FFS.