PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs can’t afford to risk giving Bowe a long-term deal

Deberg_1990
06-13-2012, 07:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/12/3655257/chiefs-cant-afford-to-risk-giving.html

There was a vacancy on the field and in the Chiefs’ locker room Tuesday, and the team’s wide receivers kept on going about their business. Jon Baldwin kept making an impression. Steve Breaston kept being dependable. Even Dexter McCluster looked more comfortable in his streamlined role.

That’s what happens when a player holds his ground, making a point that he’s not playing without a new contract. Life goes on. A team moves forward. Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, who has so far refused to sign the Chiefs’ franchise tender offer, blew off offseason practices the last few weeks. Now he’s skipping the team’s mandatory minicamp, which began Tuesday.

So it goes.
But while coach Romeo Crennel waits for one of his best offensive players to sign his franchise tender and suit up, the Chiefs’ front office is doing the right thing — holding its own ground and not caving to one of the team’s most erratic and unpredictable players.
Make no mistake: the Chiefs stand to lose with either decision they make. Slow-play the Bowe negotiations, forcing him to suit up for the $9.4 million franchise salary, and risk losing him in the future. Extend him now and endure the threat of him backsliding into 2009 form. The latter would subject the Chiefs to losing big, costing them upward of $50 million guaranteed and starting a chain reaction that could hinder future negotiations with other players.

Bowe has been one of the Chiefs’ most dependable players the last two seasons, a key part of their talented young offense. The Chiefs have until July 16 to sign Bowe to a contract extension; afterward, they’d have to wait until after the season.
There’s nothing safe about that choice, but the bigger gamble is handing a player with a history of immaturity a seemingly bottomless contract when his best behavior happened to coincide with the final two seasons of his rookie contract.

Maybe that was a coincidence. But what you don’t see during most game telecasts is a player who has, even in these last two years, struggled to stay within the bland persona that former coach Todd Haley and general manager Scott Pioli demanded of him. The Chiefs made Dwayne Bowe boring, but they also made him focus so much that he became a fringe NFL star.

When the cameras are off, Bowe is still occasionally an attention hog who flexes after big catches in practice, who has for five seasons needed a public-relations valet to monitor what he says to reporters, and who is moody and still shows signs of that young knucklehead of his first three seasons. These are signals that the dependable behavior has perhaps been an act, and once he gets his money, what are the chances he stays in character?

Has Bowe been a good soldier these last two seasons because he has truly changed? The point is that no one really knows, and that’s a problem when so much money is involved. On Tuesday, I asked several people around the Chiefs organization what they could expect from Bowe if he signed an extension and showed up to today’s practice session. Would he be in shape, or would he arrive overweight, as he did before the 2009 season — when he took a weight-loss substance, whether by accident (as he said) or not, that later got him suspended. Would his focus be what it was the last two seasons, or would his attention waver under first-year receivers coach Nick Sirianni, a talented but inexperienced position coach?

They admitted they just had no idea which Bowe would arrive at the practice facility, and that unknown is dangerous considering such a financial leap of faith. If the Chiefs extend Bowe and he flops, it’ll put Pioli in a pinch when left tackle Branden Albert and defensive end Glenn Dorsey have expiring contracts. At his best, Bowe is a superb pass-catcher and blocker whose route-running puts him short of only Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald and Houston’s Andre Johnson; at his worst, he has been an undependable wideout known as much for drops and comments about “importing” as breathtaking catches.

Last month, Bowe told Arrowhead Pride’s Joel Thorman at an NFL rookie event in Los Angeles that he expected to be with the Chiefs in 2012, in uniform by the time training camp begins in late July. Bowe also indicated that he’s in shape — “Look at me,” he told Thorman — but to the untrained eye he looked well-conditioned in 2009, too.

Maybe Bowe has changed. Maybe he is in shape. It’s just that the Chiefs just don’t know. So it’s smart to give their best wide receiver a taste of big money — $9.4 million isn’t so bad, anyway — and watch how he responds. If nothing else, a good 2012 would give Bowe three exemplary seasons to balance his first three forgettable ones.

Maybe it is an imperfect choice. But it has to be one the Chiefs stay willing to take.

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 07:08 AM
So much bullshit.

BoneKrusher
06-13-2012, 07:09 AM
So much bullshit.

the one thing Pioli's good at.

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Last month, Bowe told Arrowhead Pride’s Joel Thorman at an NFL rookie event in Los Angeles that he expected to be with the Chiefs in 2012, in uniform by the time training camp begins in late July. Bowe also indicated that he’s in shape — “Look at me,” he told Thorman — but to the untrained eye he looked well-conditioned in 2009, too.

A bullshit line.

So much bullshit.

durtyrute
06-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Why are NFL and NBA players supposed to be robots? Who gives a flying fuck if he flexes after a catch? Not to many people have the ability to show zero emotion after doing good or fun.

Damn Fuckos

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Can we risk giving a long-term deal to that piece of shit Matt Cassel?

Micjones
06-13-2012, 07:18 AM
If we don't get the deal done...
We had better make sure Baldwin's ready to step into his shoes as the #1.
We should also say a prayer that Wylie can be effective in the slot.

BoneKrusher
06-13-2012, 07:21 AM

exactly.
the Chiefs can pay Captain Checkdown but cant pay the best player on offense other than Charles.

Brock
06-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Oh no, he flexes in practice and sometimes says stupid things! We have to get rid of this diva!

Sofa King
I haven't read it yet but Bowe isn't a fucking risk... this is bullshit.

Deberg_1990
exactly.
the Chiefs can pay Captain Checkdown but cant pay the best player on offense other than Charles.

He wont get another long term deal unless he ups his game. He was already under contract before they knew he sucked.

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 07:23 AM
If Bowe isn't resigned all of you people on the fence should mentally gut Pioli.

keg in kc
06-13-2012, 07:24 AM
It's a bigger risk not to sign him.

-King-
06-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Wow. How idiotic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
06-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Ok, i read it. What a stupid fucking article. Kent Babb is a dumbass for writing this shit.

SPchief
06-13-2012, 07:27 AM
How much money did Pioli pay Babb to write this?

durtyrute
06-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Sometimes, I think they write crap like this just to stir up shit.

-King-
06-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Bowe would not have already commuted to coming to training camp if negotiations weren't going well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dragonocho
06-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Babb reached for a provocative subject and IMO missed. Babb just got promoted to columnist like Mellinger did a year or so ago. Both of their work as reporters was solid and now he has to find his voice as an opinion writer. Mellinger is improving, Babb will too. This opinion is off though.

Micjones
06-13-2012, 07:33 AM
I don't think Babb is entirely off base here.
The Chiefs do need to consider Bowe's maturity level in the grand scheme of things.
Babb did overstate the problem though.

jspchief
06-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Can't risk that kind of money. Got to save it for....umm, errrr, something.

Mr. Kotter
06-13-2012, 07:43 AM
I don't think Babb is entirely off base here.
The Chiefs do need to consider Bowe's maturity level in the grand scheme of things.

I think you should have just stopped there. He steps up this year, then....maybe Babb would be off-base.

DBOSHO
06-13-2012, 07:53 AM
LOLOMG HE FLEXXEZ AFTER SWEET KATCHEZ!!

Seriously?

Direckshun
06-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Two thumbs up for the Vonnegut reference.

Agent V
06-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Not spending money to retain talent is a proven method. Ask the Royals.

Mr. Kotter
06-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Not spending money to retain talent is a proven method. Ask the Royals.

We are retaining him, or he gives up $9 million. He ain't sitting out.

Fritz88
06-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Babb trying's to amend things with Pioli by writing this piece. Complete nonsense.

AndChiefs
06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Gist of the article. Bowe celebrates sometimes. And he's a poor public speaker.

That settles it. Trade him or don't re-sign him. Or kick him out of the NFL (Goodell?).

Chiefnj2
06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
"NFL's deadline for franchised players to agree to a long-term contract is July 15th"

If no long term deal is reached when does he have to sign the tender to guaranty him the 9 mil this season? What's the latest he could sign?

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Babb trying's to amend things with Pioli by writing this piece. Complete nonsense.

I think Babb burned any goodwill Pioli might've had toward him when he wrote wrappergate.

This is just Babb reaching.

sedated
06-13-2012, 08:48 AM
“we should get rid of Jared Allen because he’s one drink away from a year-long suspension” [/2008]

Iowanian
06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
If they sign Bowe they might not be able to provide the fans as many championships as they have in the past 30 years.

the Talking Can
06-13-2012, 08:54 AM
and it begins...pioli preps us for not signing Bowe

60 mill for an unproven piece of shit back up QB? no discussion

50 mill for our best WR? ...uh...well...3 years ago he mugged for a camera once...uh...

nevermind that Bowe has played with nothing but piece of shit QBs and still put up #1 numbers

the Talking Can
06-13-2012, 08:55 AM
next we'll hear that Bowe has always really wanted to play for [insert team] and we couldn't have resigned him anyways...

Chiefnj2
06-13-2012, 08:57 AM
6 months ago: KC has enough money to sign Carr and Bowe long term. It'll be a great offseason.

3 months ago: Carr wants too much. If they let him go, they can easily work out a long term deal for Bowe. He's more important anyway.

1 month ago: The media is reporting Bowe wants top money. Hmmm.

Today: Bowe is a problem player for things he did 3 years ago. It might be better to save his money for Albert and Dorsey.

the Talking Can
06-13-2012, 09:00 AM
it's amazing that having a personality is a bigger issue than sucking....

Bowe's a top 12 WR, all he gets is shit from this franchise

Cassel is one of the worst starting QB's in the league and all he gets is tongue baths from this franchise

ChiefsCountry
06-13-2012, 09:01 AM

Cassel is one of the worst starting QB's in the league and all he gets is tongue baths from this franchise

Look at the dumbass thread by the even bigger fucking idiot yesterday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian
06-13-2012, 09:01 AM
It's a process TC...It's about finding the right locker room guys.

You're just spoiled from all of the excess playoff wins in the past 20 years. Maybe your expectations are just too tempered.

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 09:03 AM

It's truly pathetic.

I wish Cassel would get caught snorting cocaine off a hooker's ass or stealing kidneys to sell on the black market or something...just to see what Pioli would do...I bet he'd suspend him for one game.

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 09:05 AM
6 months ago: KC has enough money to sign Carr and Bowe long term. It'll be a great offseason.

3 months ago: Carr wants too much. If they let him go, they can easily work out a long term deal for Bowe. He's more important anyway.

Today: Bowe is a problem player for things he did 3 years ago. It might be better to save his money for Albert and Dorsey.

ROFL

Next year: Albert and Dorsey aren't good enough to sign long term.

End result: Pioli gets rid of all of Carl's good players. Now he gets all the credit.

Irony: We won't do shit.

Overreaction: In this entire post.

Fucks given: None.

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Nailed it, and it's disgusting.

This article is shameful. Babb is trying to paint Bowe to be Santonio Holmes when the worst thing Bowe ever did was take a weight loss supplement to meet the demands of his asshole HC.

oldman
06-13-2012, 10:01 AM

You hit the nail right on the head. This is just another way to try to get the fans on Pioli's side if things go wrong. While I don't believe he's in the top 5 range, Bowe's proved he's worth some major cash. To cast doubt on a player for something he did 3 years ago is BS. I think he's grown up a lot and can be a major force on our offense. Scott, pay the young man.

KCrockaholic
06-13-2012, 10:22 AM
“we should get rid of Jared Allen because he’s one drink away from a year-long suspension” [/2008]

As much as I liked Allen, the Chiefs got the better end of the deal when we traded him. Solid LT, electrifying HB, Chiefs switched to 3-4 which Allen doesn't fit in. And Tamba Hali became a monster.

Of course this is all stuff that has been discussed before.

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Greg ‏ @ ChiefsOrioles

@ kentbabbTry having cassel as your qb see what u do

Kent Babb ‏ @ kentbabb

@ ChiefsOrioles Uh, OK. Larry Fitzgerald has had bad QBs since Warner left, and he still manages to do the right thing and put up numbers.

Greg ‏ @ ChiefsOrioles

@ kentbabb Kent u need to stop, go watch the Denver game after he left that o went to ****

Greg ‏ @ ChiefsOrioles

@ kentbabb lol bowe has put up numbers to my god kc reporters can't be this bad when u run 70 % of the time not much u can do

Kent Babb ‏ @ kentbabb

@ ChiefsOrioles My man, I'm not saying he's a bad player. Quite the contrary. He is just erratic and undependable when his focus wanes.

Kent Babb ‏ @ kentbabb

@ ChiefsOrioles I'm going to stop arguing, or else I'm going to break down and block you finally. Fans like you don't listen to reason.

saphojunkie
06-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Bowe is a diva. He is a complete "ME FIRST" camera junkie who behaves like a petulant child that wants attention all the time. He cannot be counted on to say the right things or to carry himself with the kind of class and dignity you want from your stars.

To me, it's crystal clear:

WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK. THE FUCKING GUY IS FUCKING GOOD AT FUCKING FOOTBALL, AND THIS IS A FOOTBALL TEAM THAT NEEDS GOOD FUCKING PLAYERS.

PAY.

THE.

MAN.

NOW.

KCrockaholic
06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Babb is a stupid fuck.

the Talking Can
06-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Bowe is a diva. He is a complete "ME FIRST" camera junkie who behaves like a petulant child that wants attention all the time. He cannot be counted on to say the right things or to carry himself with the kind of class and dignity you want from your stars.

talk about fucking stupid...

KCrockaholic
06-13-2012, 10:30 AM
People completely blow Dwayne's "diva" attitude out of proportion. He's not Keyshawn. He's not even as bad as Steve Smith. Dwayne doesn't get into trouble. Sure he's been known to lack concentration from time to time, but he's by far the best receiver on the team, and best in the division. And when we have a piece of shit QB like Cassel, we need to have elite receivers on this team.

Marcellus
06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Considering the KC media has been 100% clueless when it comes to what the Chiefs are doing or are going to do this is a good sign.

Marcellus
06-13-2012, 10:35 AM
the one thing Pioli's good at.

Odd I haven't read anything from Pioli that endorses this article.

One week its Pioli and the KC Media are at odds and tell them nothing.

Next week it is claimed this stuff is being put out by Pioli.

Which is it again? Oh that's right, its whatever fits the agenda that is being pushed by someone around here.

saphojunkie
06-13-2012, 10:47 AM
talk about ****ing stupid...

Did you keep reading, smarty?

T-post Tom
06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Brock Middlebrook does NOT approve this thread.

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

1-yr, $9.5m not enough for Dwayne Bowe (average season: 71 rec, 985 yds, 7 TDs). Pretty funny.

Look Pioli made a call to peter King

Rausch
06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Bowe is a risk but we're comfortable and happy with Poe.

Got it.

http://smalbanynewyork.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/head-up-ass.jpg?w=300&h=184

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Peter King is an idiot. No one cares about Bowe's "average season."

Last two years he has been fucking beasting people.

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-13-2012, 11:01 AM

RT @ChiefsOrioles: Did pioli tell you to say this? Bowe can't do much w/cassel as QB ... Yes. Pioli tells me what to say, and I spit it out.

LOL he answered me

Rausch
06-13-2012, 11:03 AM

RT @ChiefsOrioles: Did pioli tell you to say this? Bowe can't do much w/cassel as QB ... Yes. Pioli tells me what to say, and I spit it out.

LOL he answered me

If anything King swallows...

saphojunkie
06-13-2012, 11:04 AM

LOL he answered me

Tweet him back Bowe's 2010 numbers and ask him if he finds them funny.

Oh and mention that his "average" includes a year of injury where he had 500 yards. Other than that, he's a guaranteed 1,000 year receiver. Ask him if he thinks Cassel would have been a Pro Bowl ALTERNATE without Bowe going nuts after the catch on Cassel's wobbly 15 yard bombs.

Bowser
06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
The Chiefs are softening us up by telling us one of the better players we've had come through here in some time is an issue due to blahblahblah, while completely moving away from statements such as "we're bringing in competition for Cassel".

The fact Bowe has put up the numbers he has while playing with the unflushed turd quarterbacks he has should lead the Chiefs to the conclusion that he's worth the investment. I would not be suprised to learn that the Chiefs NEVER had any intention of giving him a serious contract offer this year, and just letting him play on the franchise tag offer, while Cassel plays out a 63 million dollar contract.

It still pisses me off to think that we could have signed Winston, Carr, Routt, and Bowe, and STILL been under the cap. Pathetic.

SNR
06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
But while coach Romeo Crennel waits for one of his best offensive players to sign his franchise tender and suit up, the Chiefs’ front office is doing the right thing — holding its own ground and not caving to one of the team’s most erratic and unpredictable players.
Make no mistake: the Chiefs stand to lose with either decision they make. Slow-play the Bowe negotiations, forcing him to suit up for the $9.4 million franchise salary, and risk losing him in the future. Extend him now and endure the threat of him backsliding into 2009 form. The latter would subject the Chiefs to losing big, costing them upward of $50 million guaranteed and starting a chain reaction that could hinder future negotiations with other players.

Bowe has been one of the Chiefs’ most dependable players the last two seasons, a key part of their talented young offense. The Chiefs have until July 16 to sign Bowe to a contract extension; afterward, they’d have to wait until after the season.

Proof that even Kent Babb doesn't know what the fuck he's writing. Pioli should work on his writing skills so he can do a better job proofreading the articles that come to his desk for approval

alpha_omega
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
He has earned it...sign him. No excuses.

Setsuna
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Bowe is beast. Matt Cassel needs to stick up for his meal ticket, that is Bowe.

JASONSAUTO
06-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Lol at os fan going to be put on ignore by Babb.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 11:26 AM
I hate ridiculously talented and consistent WRs; we should draft another midget.

KCUnited
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Babb to be on 610 in the 1 o'clock hour to talk about the article.

Micjones
06-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Proof that even Kent Babb doesn't know what the **** he's writing. Pioli should work on his writing skills so he can do a better job proofreading the articles that come to his desk for approval

I think when Babb said unpredictable he meant, "off the field."
When he said "dependable" I think he meant, "on the field."

Just my 2.

Mile High Mania
06-13-2012, 11:30 AM
You guys should become Lions' fans...

Marcellus
06-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Make sure to bump this thread after Bowe signs a reasonable cost long term deal.

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 11:41 AM
"his first three forgettable [seasons]."?

Really? LMAO.

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 11:43 AM
"his first three forgettable [seasons]?

Really? LMAO.

I didn't even read that part.

Jesus Christ.

156 catches, 2,017 yards and 12 TD in a receiver's first two seasons is just terrible. Especially with Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle throwing the passes.

PGM
06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Horrible article. Absolute uninformed garbage.

Bowser
06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
"his first three forgettable [seasons]?

Really? LMAO.

So he has questionable character and is unproductive. No wonder they don't want to pay him.

Would anyone be suprised to see Bowe play in another AFC West uniform next year?

BoneKrusher
06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Bowe is beast. Matt Cassel needs to stick up for his meal ticket, that is Bowe.

Cassel doesn't stick up he only checks down.

Predarat
06-13-2012, 11:50 AM
They need to make sure they have the $$$ for Sabby Pisscatelli.

SNR
06-13-2012, 11:51 AM
I think when Babb said unpredictable he meant, "off the field."
When he said "dependable" I think he meant, "on the field."

Just my 2.
If that's what Babb meant he should have been crystal clear that's what he meant. Instead he contradicts himself and his own goddamn thesis within two paragraphs of each other. It's terrible writing even if it's not what he meant.

DBOSHO
06-13-2012, 11:54 AM
If we move forward without bowe and with cassel my head will fucking explode and so will piolis when i march up to arrowhead and blow it off.

BCD
06-13-2012, 11:54 AM

1-yr, $9.5m not enough for Dwayne Bowe (average season: 71 rec, 985 yds, 7 TDs). Pretty funny.

Peter Sucker King should do his math and look at Megatrons season average. 73 catches.

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 11:55 AM

What a fucking Dick bag. One season brings his average down, and he knows it.

Sounds like he's been fed an agenda.

Looks like Bowe is gone after this season guys.

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 11:57 AM
You guys should become Lions' fans...

Seriously. At least they pay their WR's.

PGM
06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Tell King he can borrow some of that cash to buy a clue.

whoman69
06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Is it just me or is Babb turning into the new secret mouthpiece for the GM?

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Is it just me or is Babb turning into the new secret mouthpiece for the GM?

After wrappergate, not a chance.

mikey23545
06-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Why are NFL and NBA players supposed to be robots? Who gives a flying **** if he flexes after a catch? Not to many people have the ability to show zero emotion after doing good or fun.

Damn ****os

He was talking about making a catch in practice, you moron...LMAO

Anyone egotistical enough to flex after a catch while practicing has serious head issues.

It remains to be seen if Haley riding his ass constantly was the only thing holding this narcissist's head together or not...

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Anyone egotistical enough to flex after a catch while practicing has serious head issues.

It remains to be seen if Haley riding his ass constantly was the only thing holding this narcissist's head together or not...

He can't have fun?

Rausch
06-13-2012, 12:42 PM

I doubt that...

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
'07: 995 yards
'08: 1022 yards

Thank goodness that Haley was able to fix Bowe.

Brock
06-13-2012, 12:55 PM

:rolleyes:

sedated
06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Seriously. At least they pay their WR's.

That deal could end up screwing them.

saphojunkie
06-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Did it ever occur to you people that Bowe's success is due to the SYSTEM?

That ANY wide receiver give his amount of looks will put up similar numbers?

No?

Thank god.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 01:10 PM

:facepalm:

durtyrute
06-13-2012, 01:12 PM

No shit, dumbass

What, the man can't have fun?

Chiefs Pantalones
06-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Has Babb lost his mind? This has to be a joke right?

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 01:13 PM

The system led by Matt Cassel?

And Bill Muir?

mikey23545
06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
No shit, dumbass

What, the man can't have fun?

I hate to be cruel, but someone like you who has constantly shown themselves to be crazier than a shithouse rat doesn't help Bowe's case by advocating his behavior.

durtyrute
06-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I hate to be cruel, but someone like you who has constantly shown themselves to be crazier than a shithouse rat doesn't help Bowe's case by advocating his behavior.

If a man does something that he feels good about then he should be allowed to clap or flex or whatever the hell he wants.

And you know nothing about me, so please keep your ignorant shit to yourself.

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 01:24 PM

No?

Thank god.

Our "system" has been to hide the shit out of the QB, whether that's Huard, Thigpen, or Cassel. The fact that Bowe has been consistently productive only highlights his ability.

the Talking Can
06-13-2012, 01:32 PM

No?

Thank god.

did it ever occur to you that the dent in your skull is from your mom's wire hanger?

Douche Baggins
06-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Babb's stupid is infecting Chiefs nation:

Bowe plays for Bowe. Kc will be ok without him. Baldwin and Breaston and Wylie, McCluster will fill his hole rather quickly.

morphius
06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure why everyone expects players to be boring robots assembly line workers all the time. Heck, I've been known to celebrate that way in my cube when something works right. Not everyone was born with a stick up their butt...

Setsuna
06-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Has this ever happened in KC? That the local sports media band together to foretell impending doom on a current player?

thabear04
06-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Maybe he in shape catching footballs with J-Russ cause he only can throw like 10-15 yards. Just like Casshole does when he dump those short passes. :doh!:

beach tribe
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM
"holding its own ground and not caving to one of the team’s most erratic and unpredictable players."

"Bowe has been one of the Chiefs’ most dependable players the last two seasons, a key part of their talented young offense."
:spock:

beach tribe
06-13-2012, 02:11 PM

He should be having fun in practice.
Nothing wrong with it at all IMO, and would rather have him doing it there, than
acting dumb during games.
This is all silly anyway. Bowe has shown that he can handle himself well enough the last two seasons, at a position that is notoriously filled with egotistical knuckleheads.
Bowe does something and he's a showoff, yet Chad Johnson acts silly at all times, and people here think it's oh so entertaining, and Bowe is 10 times the player Johnson is at this point in their careers.
Bowe's past actions have stuck with people, when in reality, he has handled himself with plenty of class considering his position, and natural inclination to crave attention.

beach tribe
06-13-2012, 02:14 PM

No?

Thank god.

Did it ever occur to you that teams have focused on Bowe without a serious threat opposite him. When Baldwin shows the league that he is a threat, Bowe's numbers will only improve.

beach tribe
06-13-2012, 02:16 PM
The system led by Matt Cassel?

And Bill Muir?

For real. Dude needs to lay off the salts.

stonedstooge
06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
A real shock that Clark wants to pocket the cash until he has to cook the books next year

qabbaan
06-13-2012, 02:47 PM
He is getting exactly the same treatment that Carr got.

The Chiefs think they can get by with a cheaper, "good enough" alternative. (Like Routt).

They will play this tune all season and then do the "Aw shucks, we tried to resign him!" just like with Carr.

Many people will take the bait, that he didn't want to be here despite all indications to the contrary.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs let another young player in his prime at a premium position walk in a cost savings move.

Meanwhile, Cassel is entrenched as the starter.

Meanwhile, Chiefs are still the Chiefs...

Mojo Jojo
06-13-2012, 02:52 PM
What a bunch of Kool Aid drinkers on here. DT and Tony G. never acted that way in practice...Baseball players don't pump fists hitting a ball over the fence in batting practice. Face it D Bowe is immature...has talent but needs to grow up.

durtyrute
06-13-2012, 02:53 PM

The Chiefs think they can get by with a cheaper, "good enough" alternative. (Like Routt).

They will play this tune all season and then do the "Aw shucks, we tried to resign him!" just like with Carr.

Many people will take the bait, that he didn't want to be here despite all indications to the contrary.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs let another young player in his prime at a premium position walk in a cost savings move.

:clap:

-King-
06-13-2012, 02:55 PM

Just like they did with Hali, Charles, and DJ huh?

-King-
06-13-2012, 02:56 PM
What a bunch of Kool Aid drinkers on here. DT and Tony G. never acted that way in practice...Baseball players don't pump fists hitting a ball over the fence in batting practice. Face it D Bowe is immature...has talent but needs to grow up.

How do you know how DT and Tony G acted?

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Yeah, because Flexing is SOO immature.

While we're at it, lets get rid of Hali's Little arm flap thing after every sack. That imature bastard doesn't deserve that contract; he clearly can't be trusted.

Flowers too. That little standing on the ball and crossing his arms thing after that pick 6 in Oakland.....unacceptable.

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Just like they did with Hali, Charles, and DJ huh?

People are still scarred from the Peterson era. And i remember reading a report that the Chiefs were in fact still in the running for Carr while he was visiting Dallas.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 03:11 PM
People are still scarred from the Peterson era. And i remember reading a report that the Chiefs were in fact still in the running for Carr while he was visiting Dallas.

Point is Gonzo, Carr, Waters, and Bowe were all under this GM.

We don't seem to like to spend big $$$...

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Point is Gonzo, Carr, Waters, and Bowe were all under this GM.

We don't seem to like to spend big $$$...

Gonzo's contract wasn't up. Trading him was the right move. Waters appeared to be done. Everyone on this board was talking about how Waters needed replacing.

Carr...sure, that one stings.

Under Pioli thus far, he's resigned more big contract players than he's released.

whoman69
06-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, because Flexing is SOO immature.

While we're at it, lets get rid of Hali's Little arm flap thing after every sack. That imature bastard doesn't deserve that contract; he clearly can't be trusted.

Flowers too. That little standing on the ball and crossing his arms thing after that pick 6 in Oakland.....unacceptable.

Dorsey never celebrates. Oh forgot. He never has anything to celebrate.

BCD
06-13-2012, 03:16 PM

How much off the field trouble has he gotten into these past 5 seasons?

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Dorsey never celebrates. Oh forgot. He never has anything to celebrate.

haha

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
How much off the field trouble has he gotten into these past 5 seasons?

Didnt he get a DUI? Ooop no, that wasn't Bowe.

Didn't he spit on some chick at a night club? Oh, no, that wasn't Bowe.

Shit bad memory i got....

Wait...I got it....he made a scene on an airplane cuz he didn't wanna take his headphones off....

Shit...that wasn't Bowe Either.

Oh that's right, he threw his QB & HC under the bus....****....that wasn't Bowe either....damnit

Brock
06-13-2012, 03:27 PM

Spoken like a wanker who's never played a sport in his life.

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Oh wait....I got it...he alegedly punched someone right? Got in trouble with the law several times during the Lock Out?

Shit....i'm wrong again, huh?

That damn trouble making Immature Bowe.....fucking everything up, i just know it.

Seriously, compared to the rest of the NFL, like Ray "Stab and Run" Lewis or Vincent "one too many Drinks" Jackson or Kenny "Im a fucking Dumbass" Britt.....Bowe is a damn choir boy.

beach tribe
06-13-2012, 03:28 PM

People still crying about Carr when there was no way he was staying, and then calling this regime cheap because of it are borderline retarded. We would have had to pay him a shit ton more than Dallas because he wanted to play there. He's a lifelong fan. Get over it.
Other than that we have rewarded every player who has earned it, with a big contract, and Bowe will be no different. this happens every year, all over the league. They will work out a deal.

Marcellus
06-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Gonzo's contract wasn't up. Trading him was the right move. Waters appeared to be done. Everyone on this board was talking about how Waters needed replacing.

Carr...sure, that one stings.

Under Pioli thus far, he's resigned more big contract players than he's released.

Don't confuse these idiots with facts.

I also find it hilarious that all these people are more than willing to just open the checkbook and pay him whatever he wants apparently, even though if it were their money they would be in a negotiating position trying to do the best they could to get the best deal they could get.

People are in full on idiot mode despite this is exactly what happens with pretty much every player on every team that gets franchised and guess what, they usually end up signing a long term deal.

Messier
06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
People crying the Pioli doesn't like to retain the young talent on this team, really have very little to support their argument.

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
People are in full on idiot mode despite this is exactly what happens with pretty much every player on every team that gets franchised and guess what, they usually end up signing a long term deal.

Exactly.

I don't know how anyone would've imagined that this wouldn't have dragged out into TC.

When Bowe misses his first week or two of TC, then it's time to worry. Otherwise, there are 10 other Franchised players sitting at home w/o a contract, and likely won't get one till TC starts.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Don't confuse these idiots with facts.

I also find it hilarious that all these people are more than willing to just open the checkbook and pay him whatever he wants apparently, even though if it were their money they would be in a negotiating position trying to do the best they could to get the best deal they could get.

First, it isn't my money. And this franchise has been known for being cheap for years.

2nd, people don't want to play here. I don't know how else to put it. If we offer a player X and a team in NY, Fla, or Cali match 9 out of 10 times we don't get that player. We aren't a huge market, we haven't won a playoff game in 20 years, and our QB isn't respected.

For this franchise to compete with FA's we're going to have to offer more. We're looked at by everyone outside of KC like Cleveland, Detroit, etc...

suzzer99
06-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Something was said during negotiations

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/lastmidnight/anigifs/oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

beach tribe
06-13-2012, 03:49 PM
This team was only cheap during the years they were building through the draft.
After Vermeil's team got old.

Marcellus
06-13-2012, 03:52 PM
First, it isn't my money. And this franchise has been known for being cheap for years.

2nd, people don't want to play here. I don't know how else to put it. If we offer a player X and a team in NY, Fla, or Cali match 9 out of 10 times we don't get that player. We aren't a huge market, we haven't won a playoff game in 20 years, and our QB isn't respected.

For this franchise to compete with FA's we're going to have to offer more. We're looked at by everyone outside of KC like Cleveland, Detroit, etc...

1st - Your statement just proves my point. If you have a "its not my $ why should I care" perspective then your points on the $ are immediately invalid because frankly that attitude doesn't match the reality of the situation.

2nd - What do you have to support that statement? Who has done that that you know of? Manning? I assure you we werent paying him that much $ and Dennver shouldn't have. Who has turned down the same $ to go to another team in the last 5 years? How did we resign Hali, DJ, Charles and Flowers then?

Marcellus
06-13-2012, 03:54 PM
This team was only cheap during the years they were building through the draft.
After Vermeil's team got old.

You are pissing in the wind here, I have pointed out numerous times and people don't even respond to it. Facts fuck up their arguments.

Mojo Jojo
06-13-2012, 03:54 PM
How do you know how DT and Tony G acted?

Been to many Chiefs practices over the years as part of my job.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 04:17 PM
1st - Your statement just proves my point. If you have a "its not my $ why should I care" perspective then your points on the $ are immediately invalid because frankly that attitude doesn't match the reality of the situation.

I didn't say that. I said we're known for being cheap.

Carl Peterson not being here is irrelevant. Herm/T0dd aren't here anymore either but when you haven't won a playoff game in 20 years people don't care.

You haven't won a playoff game in 20 years. The history is there.

beach tribe
06-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I didn't say that. I said we're known for being cheap.

Carl Peterson not being here is irrelevant. Herm/T0dd aren't here anymore either but when you haven't won a playoff game in 20 years people don't care.

You haven't won a playoff game in 20 years. The history is there.

But the history just isn't there.

milkman
06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Been to many Chiefs practices over the years as part of my job.

I'm old school.

I prefer players that act as though they've been there, done that before.

But to suggest that celebrating a play is immature is not reality.

Everyone celebrates everything these days.

I don't care that it's only practice.

These guys are just having fun.

Nothing more.

qabbaan
06-13-2012, 05:30 PM

If you are committed to signing a young player in their prime, the last thing you do is let them hit the open market. If Pioli and company wanted Carr or Bowe around, the time to have locked them up was the offseason before, or during training camp before their last season. You don't let a player you intend to lock up long term go UFA. Makes no sense. Pioli isn't stupid. You don't put it off and negotiate from a position of weakness like that.

For whatever reason they just seem to have decided that they don't want Bowe.

They will play up trying to resign him (to a below market contract) for PR purposes just like they did Carr, but it seems clear to me they don't intend to keep Bowe.

We will finally get to see what he can do with a real QB at least.

JASONSAUTO
06-13-2012, 05:33 PM

Meanwhile, the Chiefs let another young player in his prime at a premium position walk in a cost savings

I might be carr's biggest fan, but can you give me all the indications that he wanted to stay here.
Posted via Mobile Device

beach tribe
06-13-2012, 05:39 PM
If you are committed to signing a young player in their prime, the last thing you do is let them hit the open market. If Pioli and company wanted Carr or Bowe around, the time to have locked them up was the offseason before, or during training camp before their last season. You don't let a player you intend to lock up long term go UFA. Makes no sense. Pioli isn't stupid. You don't put it off and negotiate from a position of weakness like that.

For whatever reason they just seem to have decided that they don't want Bowe.

They will play up trying to resign him (to a below market contract) for PR purposes just like they did Carr, but it seems clear to me they don't intend to keep Bowe.

We will finally get to see what he can do with a real QB at least.

He didn't hit the open market smart guy. He's franchised, and if they had no intention of keeping him, they wouldn't have FTed him.
He'll be on the field for training camp. He said so himself.

KC Tattoo
06-13-2012, 05:41 PM
This is bs. We can't afford not to sign D Bowe for long term deal. He is worth it as a fan I want to see him as a Chief for years to come.

qabbaan
06-13-2012, 05:45 PM
He didn't hit the open market smart guy. He's franchised, and if they had no intention of keeping him, they wouldn't have FTed him.
He'll be on the field for training camp. He said so himself.

Carr hit the open market. Bowe, we will see, but all signs point to him playing for another team next year following the Carr path. If the team really wants to keep him they will have the deal done before the season.

JASONSAUTO
06-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Carr hit the open market. Bowe, we will see, but all signs point to him playing for another team next year following the Carr path. If the team really wants to keep him they will have the deal done before the season.
Where are the parallels in Bowe and carr's paths?
Posted via Mobile Device

BCD
06-13-2012, 05:53 PM

He'll sign his tender and play this season.

They dont have to sign him to a long term deal before the season starts.

whoman69
06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Where are the parallels in Bowe and carr's paths?
Posted via Mobile Device

They don't want to be here, probably for different reasons.

-King-
06-13-2012, 06:14 PM
You don't commit being on time for training camp unless negotiations are going well. He'll sign a deal before training camp starts.
Posted via Mobile Device

BCD
06-13-2012, 06:19 PM
You don't commit being on time for training camp unless negotiations are going well. He'll sign a deal before training camp starts.
Posted via Mobile Device

There doesn't even need to be a deal in place. He just has to sign the 1 yr tender next month.

He doesn't really need to be here now anyway.

Chocolate Hog
06-13-2012, 08:31 PM
The fuck they can't. This town is so fucking ass backwards who gives a shit what he says when he's putting up 1,000 yard seasons.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

boogblaster
06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
i like bowe .. would like to see him a chief for a long time .....

ChiefsCountry
06-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Bowe is one hell of a player, if Baldwin passes him as the #1 we are going to have one bad ass wide receiver combo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dick Bull
06-13-2012, 10:19 PM
They don't want to be here, probably for different reasons.

I don't think Bowe's situation is one of not wanting to be here. It is one of not wanting to go to mini-camp and offseason.

BCD
06-13-2012, 10:25 PM
I really don't get why some people dislike Bowe.

He's a very good WR. He hasn't had any legal troubles. No DUIs. Nothing.

His only negative mark is his 4 games suspension for taking diuretics to lose weight.

So he drops passes. Big fucking deal. All #1 receives do. He makes plenty more great plays to make up for it.

KC Tattoo
06-13-2012, 10:27 PM
What good does this article do for negotiations for either side of the party? If I was Bowe it would piss me off that that's what this town thinks of me. FN BS article.
And for Pioli makes it look like bs propoganda from his office and that would be harmful to negotiations. That's how I would take it. Dumb for him to right this garbage. Are we fans suppose to be naive and stupid? D Bowe has proved he comes to play not selfish (blocks downfield) on the field & has to contort his body to make circus esk catches. What more does he have to do?

BCD
06-13-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't think Bowe's situation is one of not wanting to be here. It is one of not wanting to go to mini-camp and offseason.

Exactly. Gonzales missed pretty much all of the 02 training camp and pre season and goes on to catch 100 balls.

wazu
06-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Babb's stupidity is astounding. It's one thing to be a poor writer, but when you weigh in with takes of Fescoe-level idiocy... is the Star not even able to find amateur writers who would do what he does?

BossChief
06-14-2012, 12:49 AM
If Pioli lets Bowe walk after this year and lets Dorsey and Albert walk next year, while still force feeding Cassel to the fanbase...Whitlock deserves all the credit because Pioli truly is "egoli"

scott free
06-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I am so disappoint in my boy Blabb.

Without Bowe this corp goes from rock solid to ?, just like that/snap.

PGM
06-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Bitching about Bowe celebrating in practice ROFL Fuck, this place kills me sometimes.

KCUnited
06-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Bowe conversation starts at 9:25.

http://www.610sports.com/pages/10086021.php?

HemiEd
06-14-2012, 08:37 AM
How much money did Pioli pay Babb to write this?

The new Rufus Dawes.

Rausch
06-14-2012, 08:47 AM
I am so disappoint in my boy Blabb.

Without Bowe this corp goes from rock solid to ?, just like that/snap.

And with a qb (LC on purpose) like this we need all the help we can get at WR...

HemiEd
06-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Has this ever happened in KC? That the local sports media band together to foretell impending doom on a current player?

Jared Allen

Chiefnj2
06-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Bowe conversation starts at 9:25.

http://www.610sports.com/pages/10086021.php?

I listened and it is clear that Babb is just trying to drive up ratings by being 'controversial'.

He has no idea what Bowe is asking for. He keeps referring to Bowe as a knucklehead who needs to stay out of trouble and isn't motivated. What a load of crap.

BossChief
06-14-2012, 09:08 AM
And with a qb (LC on purpose) like this we need all the help we can get at WR...

Best case scenario is Bowe holds out into the regular season and Caasel becomes completely ineffective and gets pulled. Bowe signs during the bye and Stanzi is made the starter.

KCUnited
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
I listened and it is clear that Babb is just trying to drive up ratings by being 'controversial'.

He has no idea what Bowe is asking for. He keeps referring to Bowe as a knucklehead who needs to stay out of trouble and isn't motivated. What a load of crap.

I think we'll see more adversarial columns like this between Babb and Mellinger.

Messier
06-14-2012, 09:23 AM
The new Rufus Dawes.

No, I don't think so. Babb wrote the wiretapping article, don't think he'd suddenly become Pioli's mouthpiece.

tredadda
06-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Sweet. It looks like we might dodge the franchise QB bullet again. Bowe will sign his franchise tender and walk next year. They will say WR is our biggest weakness and draft one in Round 1. This is so pathetic.