PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals Pats 'snatch' another TE

the Talking Can
06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
yoink
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8047590/tom-coughlin-new-york-giants-frustrated-jake-ballard-claimed-new-england-patriots

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Tom Coughlin expressed disappointment and frustration about losing tight end Jake Ballard to the New England Patriots.

The New York Giants took a calculated risk of waiving the injured Ballard to make room on the roster to sign defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, and it backfired when the Patriots surprisingly snatched up the tight end off the waiver wire on Tuesday.

"Discouraged is a minor description," Coughlin said Wednesday when asked how discouraging the news was when he learned of it during minicamp practice Tuesday afternoon. "Very disappointing. I am not going to have a lot to say about that one, just the fact that we are disappointed. We are very disappointed."

Coughlin was then asked why the Giants didn't just keep Ballard on the 90-man roster so as not to risk losing him on waivers.

"Don't ask me those questions," the Giants coach responded. "I don't have the answers for you. We are all disappointed. That's all."

The Giants were hoping that Ballard would clear waivers and then be placed on the team's PUP/reserve list. He is expected to miss this season while he recovers from microfracture knee surgery and a torn ACL suffered in the Super Bowl. However, the team was high on Ballard, who had a breakout season last year before being slowed by injuries down the stretch of the season.

"Yes, we thought that he would clear," general manager Jerry Reese said in an interview on SiriusXM NFL radio. "It's rare, but it's not the first time something like that has happened. It's disappointing for us that we didn't get him back. He did a tremendous job for us and we hope he gets well soon and that he can finish his career, whether it's with New England or whatever team he ends up with. It was disappointing, but that does happen, every blue moon."

jd1020
06-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Chris Carpenter threw 26 pitches off a mound today.

Flachief58
06-13-2012, 03:43 PM
My balls itch