PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Florio is a dick head

Road Hog
06-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Kansas City media overblows Poe’s participation in minicamp

Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT

AP
As mandatory minicamps continue to play out in NFL cities throughout the land, an interesting storyline has emerged via questions posed to members of the Chiefs on Tuesday.

For some reason, it was regarded by some in the assembled media as noteworthy that unsigned first-round defensive tackle Dontari Poe was taking part in the minicamp.

Asked one writer of coach Romeo Crennel: ”Dontari Poe is out there when he doesn’t have to be, does that say something about that young guy?”

“It says he wants to make the team,” Crennel said.

Actually, what it says is that Poe is not an idiot. With a letter of protection in hand, he has no reason to hold out of any offseason drill, voluntary or mandatory. But for Shawne Merriman in 2005, who refused to participate in offseason workouts absent his rookie contract, draft picks don’t boycott offseason workouts on the basis of not having signed their name on the dotted line.

It continued when Poe was questioned. ”Was there any doubt that you were going to come to minicamp without a deal?” one reporter asked.

“No, no doubt,” Poe said. ”I’m here to play football, so I’m doing that side of it. I leave that up to pretty much the other people to do that, so I’m just doing what I’m here to do.”

The other people already have done their part, negotiating the letter of protection, which will give him his rookie deal even if he suffers a season-ending injury. Though at some point in the future rookies may hold out of offseason drills until they get the security that comes with being under a four-year contract (especially as more rookies sign contracts before engaging in offseason drills), it’s a no-brainer that Poe and all other unsigned draft picks in every NFL city will participate, especially in mandatory minicamps.

It’s almost as if the reporters were asked by someone to ask about Poe’s presence, in the hopes of creating the impression — albeit misleading — that Poe has some higher level of commitment than his peers with other teams.

“There was no thought of it at all?” Poe was asked about the possibility of not participating in the mandatory camp. ”You’re here to play football?

“Yeah, I’m here,” Poe said.

Yeah, he’s there. And so is every other rookie in every other city that has signed a letter of protection pending the signing of a contract.

We realize that Poe is fighting the perception that he takes plays off and that he’s only a workout warrior and that he doesn’t truly love football. But the way to reverse the perception is for him to not take plays off and demonstrate uncanny skills while in uniform and show that he truly loves the game, every chance he gets. Softballs from the media, possibly planted by the organization, aimed at making Poe’s presence at minicamp look like it’s anything other than ordinary and routine will serve only to raise suspicions that the organization is propping Poe up in advance of a possible implosion at some point in the future.

Detoxing
06-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Mike Florio gets it.

AustinChief
Florio is a joke. His opinions carry no more weight then anyone on this site. He's just a random lawyer who created a website.

Detoxing
Florio is a joke. His opinions carry no more weight then anyone on this site. He's just a random lawyer who created a website.

But he's right.

Okie_Apparition
06-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Maybe a Raiderfan can get him a shank

AustinChief
06-13-2012, 04:21 PM
But he's right.

that may be... but I'd take your opinion just as seriously as anything he says.

Messier
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Why does Mike Florio care about what is really a minor story, even in KC?

Road Hog
06-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Because, He's a dick head!

FD
06-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Well, he is right.

Thig Lyfe
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VQ8yJ.gif

bevischief
06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Slow news day...

KCChiefsFan88
06-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Florio just pointing out the obvious about the local KC sports media... they are propaganda pawns for Clark and Fat Scott.

aturnis
06-13-2012, 04:42 PM
I guess I don't get it. In the past, any rookie first rounder to my knowledge hasn't done a thing until they sign.

I was there something like two or more weeks into training camp when Tyson Jackson finally showed up.

milkman
06-13-2012, 04:57 PM
I guess I don't get it. In the past, any rookie first rounder to my knowledge hasn't done a thing until they sign.

I was there something like two or more weeks into training camp when Tyson Jackson finally showed up.

If Dontari Poe isn't signed to a contract by TC, he will not be there.

The fact is, it is not unusual, and never has been, for rookies who aren't yet signed to a contract to participate in offseason activities.

The reason that Merriman was mentioned by Florio is because he is the rare case of a rookie who hasn't.

I said the same in the other Poe thread.

Just couldn't remember which rookie it was.

Gadzooks
06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Florio's not a dick head. The guy's always looking to stir things up. His PFT is the TMZ of NFL.
HIJKLMNOP.

the Talking Can
06-13-2012, 05:27 PM
he's right

Simply Red
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Y867S.gif (http://imgur.com/Y867S)

whoman69
06-13-2012, 05:54 PM
k

chiefzilla1501
06-13-2012, 05:54 PM
I don't think people cared as much that he was there as much as they enjoyed hearing stories that he is working extremely hard. That's what makes this a non story.

PGM
06-14-2012, 07:59 AM
So, all the 1st rounders attended all thier teams OTA's?

Chiefnj2
06-14-2012, 08:13 AM
So, all the 1st rounders attended all thier teams OTA's?

It appears that way unless they were prohibited by the nonsensical NFL rule that they can't participate until the academic year of the school they attend is over. I think that may be the case with Stanford graduates.

Mr. Laz
06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
he doesn't give a shit about KC normally, so i don't know

maybe he just doesn't want to pass on the chance to take a shot at 'small town' media.

:shrug:

morphius
06-14-2012, 11:00 AM
So, Poe could have skipped signing the protection and not showed up, but he did and showed up, and it is somehow worth a story?

This story could have just been one line, "Unsigned rookie draft picks show up to minicamps because they are able to sign a protection form that guarantees them their rookie contract even if they get injured.".

All the rest is just trying to make a bigger deal out of something that isn't a big deal.

tooge
06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
So, Poe could have skipped signing the protection and not showed up, but he did and showed up, and it is somehow worth a story?

This story could have just been one line, "Unsigned rookie draft picks show up to minicamps because they are able to sign a protection form that guarantees them their rookie contract even if they get injured.".

All the rest is just trying to make a bigger deal out of something that isn't a big deal.

this exactly. No unsigned rookie HAS to be at the mandatory minicamp since they are unsigned. He chose to. Fact is, they all choose to. no big deal.

FD
06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
It’s almost as if the reporters were asked by someone to ask about Poe’s presence, in the hopes of creating the impression — albeit misleading — that Poe has some higher level of commitment than his peers with other teams.
We realize that Poe is fighting the perception that he takes plays off and that he’s only a workout warrior and that he doesn’t truly love football. But the way to reverse the perception is for him to not take plays off and demonstrate uncanny skills while in uniform and show that he truly loves the game, every chance he gets. Softballs from the media, possibly planted by the organization, aimed at making Poe’s presence at minicamp look like it’s anything other than ordinary and routine will serve only to raise suspicions that the organization is propping Poe up in advance of a possible implosion at some point in the future.

This is the key to the article, and why he's writing about essentially a non-issue. Florio is using this topic to subtly imply that Pioli is manipulating the local media.

morphius
06-14-2012, 12:28 PM
This is the key to the article, and why he's writing about essentially a non-issue. Florio is using this topic to subtly imply that Pioli is manipulating the local media.
An organization trying to manipulate the media, say it ain't so. You'd have to find a team without a PR person/organization to even pretend that they aren't doing that.

FD
06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
An organization trying to manipulate the media, say it ain't so. You'd have to find a team without a PR person/organization to even pretend that they aren't doing that.

Not just trying but succeeding.

morphius
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Not just trying but succeeding.
Yeah, they completely pwned the media into talking about our first round pick, those evil masterminds. What will they do next, talk about QB's or Bowe?

There just are not that many interesting topics with a team that isn't going to share anything meaningful. You essentially have the topics, Cassel Sucks, Bowe not signed, Poe, and players healing/injuries.

Setsuna
06-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah, they completely pwned the media into talking about our first round pick, those evil masterminds. What will they do next, talk about QB's or Bowe?

There just are not that many interesting topics with a team that isn't going to share anything meaningful. You essentially have the topics, Cassel Sucks, Bowe not signed, Poe, and players healing/injuries.

Well hey bro, then you fully support the KC sports media bad mouthing Bowe then too? Stop saying obvious shit and get angry.

FD
06-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Poe stories would be great. Just not completely BS ones.

DTLB58
06-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Well for one, it's the off season and anything that moves is a story for a site like his.
Two, have you ever. heard an interview of his with Pioli? They have serious man love for eachother. I couldn't believe how Scott slivered all over Florio's balls the first time I heard him on. He told him he reads the site everyday, just went on and on.

O.city
06-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Don't really give to shits what he's doing right now.

As long as he takes on two blockers and collapses the pocket in December, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

morphius
06-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I really don't care what they say, they have been essentially worthless for a long time. At least if they are nothing but puppets for the organization, then we at least know what the organization is thinking.