PDA

View Full Version : Computers Which is the better laptop deal?

Dicky McElephant
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1306296&sku=M975-156305

HP Pavilion dv6-6135dx Refurbished Notebook PC - AMD Quad-Core A8-3500M 2.4GHz, 6GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, Blu-ray, 15.6" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

$529.99

or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1798038&CatId=4938

Acer Aspire AS7750G-6854 LX.RU302.039 Notebook PC - Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz, 4G DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6650M, 17.3" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Black

$579.99

Keep in mind that if I buy the Acer.....I'll be buying another 4gb to up the RAM to 8gb.

Fish
06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Can't say I'm really impressed with either model. They both have flaws for that price. I like the Acer better, except for the fact that it only has 1 RAM slot, with only 8GB max. So to increase the RAM in that, you'd have to buy an 8GB stick and remove the current 4GB module. Which will be quite a bit more expensive than just buying a second 4GB stick and adding it.

The HP is a refurb. I've found HP refurbs to be shady. And the HP AMD CPU would be slower than the Intel i5. And 1366 x 768 resolution on a 15.6" screen is pretty crappy. I really hate any 15" screen that can't manage better than that. 1366 x 768 screens are cheap and give pretty shitty display.

The Acer has 1GB of dedicated VRAM. That's awesome for a laptop. It's fairly light, has plenty of ports, multi-gesture trackpad, and a decent display. Battery life might not be great on the Acer though. But I still can't get past the 1 RAM slot...

Dicky McElephant
06-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Fuck.....I totally overlooked that. Looks like I'm going to keep looking.

Dicky McElephant
06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Are Acer refurbished laptops better?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2383674&CatId=17

Fish
06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
I can't say I have a ton of experience with Acer refurbs. Bought and configured a couple for family members and friends without any issues, but that's about it. Just keep in mind that a refurb cuts your manufacturer warranty down from 1 year to 90 days. That's the gamble with refurbs. You can get an additional 2 year for $58, or 3 year for $90. Might be worth it for a laptop. Laptops have everything on the motherboard, so components failing would likely require an entire new mobo, as opposed to just a single part. Makes a warranty much more affordable and valuable.

That's a great deal for that price though.

Dicky McElephant
06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
I can't say I have a ton of experience with Acer refurbs. Bought and configured a couple for family members and friends without any issues, but that's about it. Just keep in mind that a refurb cuts your manufacturer warranty down from 1 year to 90 days. That's the gamble with refurbs. You can get an additional 2 year for $58, or 3 year for $90. Might be worth it for a laptop. Laptops have everything on the motherboard, so components failing would likely require an entire new mobo, as opposed to just a single part. Makes a warranty much more affordable and valuable.

That's a great deal for that price though.

Yeah, I think I'm going to roll with the refurbished Acer and just buy the extended warranty and another 4gb stick of RAM.

L.A. Chieffan
06-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Never liked Acer.

just get the new MacBook pro

Dicky McElephant
06-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Can't say I'm really impressed with either model. They both have flaws for that price. I like the Acer better, except for the fact that it only has 1 RAM slot, with only 8GB max. So to increase the RAM in that, you'd have to buy an 8GB stick and remove the current 4GB module. Which will be quite a bit more expensive than just buying a second 4GB stick and adding it.

The HP is a refurb. I've found HP refurbs to be shady. And the HP AMD CPU would be slower than the Intel i5. And 1366 x 768 resolution on a 15.6" screen is pretty crappy. I really hate any 15" screen that can't manage better than that. 1366 x 768 screens are cheap and give pretty shitty display.

The Acer has 1GB of dedicated VRAM. That's awesome for a laptop. It's fairly light, has plenty of ports, multi-gesture trackpad, and a decent display. Battery life might not be great on the Acer though. But I still can't get past the 1 RAM slot...

Fuck.....I totally overlooked that. Looks like I'm going to keep looking.

So apparently the 4gb of RAM that comes with the Acer is soldered to the MB. It has another slot for expansion.

Fish
06-14-2012, 03:07 PM
So apparently the 4gb of RAM that comes with the Acer is soldered to the MB. It has another slot for expansion.

Are you absolutely certain?

This is what it says directly from the site:

Memory Slots (Total) 1

It would certainly make sense if that were the case though, as it's rare for a laptop to not have an available memory slot at purchase. But I can't find any additional info on that model that would verify that it has an open available RAM slot.

I would contact Acer or Tigerdirect, and verify for sure. If that's the case, it makes that model pretty appealing.

Detoxing
06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I have the 17" version of that HP. It's a slick laptop, but I'd go with the Acer. Better Processor and a dedicated Graphics card.

You're gonna be hard pressed to find that kind of processor and a dedicated card for that price.

When i was laptop shopping a few months ago, i wanted the Acer. Ultimately i got the HP because i couldnt find anyone carrying the model i wanted in store, and i didn't feel like waiting two weeks for Acer to build and deliver it.

Detoxing
06-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Come to think of it, that may have been the exact model i wanted.

17" Screen

i5

1GB dedicated Graphics.....

For under $600?

Yeah......i seriously doubt you will find a better machine for the price.

Dicky McElephant
06-14-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm chatting with Tigerdirect right now. If the soldered RAM is correct.....I'm going to be ordering that laptop today.

jd1020
06-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Are Acer refurbished laptops better?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2383674&CatId=17

You talking about this one?

In the specs it says it has 2 memory slots, 4GB of ram, 1 slot available, and 8GB max.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Dicky McElephant
06-14-2012, 04:23 PM
You talking about this one?

In the specs it says it has 2 memory slots, 4GB of ram, 1 slot available, and 8GB max.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

No, I'm talking about the Acer in the OP.

And I just finished talking with CS. That laptop has the 4gb stick soldered onto the MB and then one additional slot that's open. So I'm going to go ahead and order it.

loochy
06-14-2012, 05:52 PM
MAC IS THE BEST DEAL

I NEED ONE IN 17 INCH

OH WAIT I CANT EDIT VIDEO ON IT PROPERLY

MAC SUCKS /thread

Valiant
06-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Vizio will be in the market of higher end computers, but I would wait a couple generations. They llok nice though, especially for te cost.

Detoxing
06-15-2012, 05:17 PM
No, I'm talking about the Acer in the OP.

And I just finished talking with CS. That laptop has the 4gb stick soldered onto the MB and then one additional slot that's open. So I'm going to go ahead and order it.

You're getting the Acer? Good choice IMO. I couldn't find a good 17" laptop with dedicated graphics from anyone other than Acer for less than $1k.

Dicky McElephant
06-15-2012, 05:34 PM
You're getting the Acer? Good choice IMO. I couldn't find a good 17" laptop with dedicated graphics from anyone other than Acer for less than $1k.

Yeah.....it should be here Tuesday of next week. I'm going to slap another 4gb stick of RAM into it and up it to 8gb.

BigRedChief
06-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Acer's suck.

Don't buy refurbished.

jd1020
06-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Acer's suck.

Don't buy refurbished.

Whats wrong with buying refurbished?

BigRedChief
06-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Whats wrong with buying refurbished?Tech is too cheap to not buy new. Most companies "complete" check of refurbished items is done with computer programs. If the issue is intermittent the program misses the issue and you are sent out a lemon. Then you have to deal with customer service thinking your an idiot and returning the item etc.

Fish
06-16-2012, 07:39 PM
To be devil's advocate....

He got a really nice Intel i5 based machine, with awesome graphics, for hella cheap. And considering it's a < $500 machine, I don't think there's a great deal of risk there. Getting the additional warranty makes the refurb risk pretty minimal. Machines like these are only meant to be 3-4 year devices at the most anyway. And refurbs aren't really as bad these days as they have been in the past. Manufacturing methods have improved enough that the gap between retail and refurb isn't that indistinguishable anymore. Many people are using refurb products right now, and have no clue that they are. All tech is cheap. If you can save a hundred bucks or so with a refurb, I say do it.

jd1020
06-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Tech is too cheap to not buy new. Most companies "complete" check of refurbished items is done with computer programs. If the issue is intermittent the program misses the issue and you are sent out a lemon. Then you have to deal with customer service thinking your an idiot and returning the item etc.

Where do you go shopping for your tinfoil hats?

Any item returned for whatever reason is fixed to factory specs, retested, and branded as a refurbished item. There could have been absolutely nothing wrong with the item and it was just simply returned and it would have to be sold as a refurbished item. The only downside of refurbished is that you don't get the full manufacturers warranty of a brand new item but the benefit is that you dont pay near as much.