PDA

View Full Version : Life Have any of you built your own house?

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 08:28 AM
I have been working on trying to work my way through the process of building a house. To make matters worse, where we would like to build is on a piece of land my parents own and have their house on as well. Even though the house has at least a mile between their house the zoning restrictions are unbearable. I have spent a year trying to get permission to even start the process. Finally out township got back with us, and requested that we put in two applications for zoning variances which will cost $300 a piece, if both are accepted (township and county) then I can begin getting all the other paperwork rolling. Talk about a freaking headache. I had to wait 4 months for them to get back to me, and then they do and it looks like there is no near light at the end of the tunnel. So I have to saddle up nancy!

BigRichard
06-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Fuck the police!

manchambo
06-15-2012, 08:36 AM
No. Whenever I've wanted a house I've noticed that there are several available that have already been built.

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 08:37 AM
**** the police!

Dude you post some of the dumbest stuff on this site. You are the new redrum, I take that back because that would be an insult to redrum, you would make redrum look like a genious. Congratulations tard!!!!

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 08:37 AM
No. Whenever I've wanted a house I've noticed that there are several available that have already been built.

LOL, touche :clap:

seclark
06-15-2012, 08:38 AM
yes. 7 years ago, but i don't remember having to go through anything like that. i'm out in the country, though.
sec

notorious
06-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Are you going to build it with your own two hands?

Delano
06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Not this shit again. The board suffered through The Bad Guy building a new house and now we've got this guy on TBG's heels.

DMAC
06-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Do Legos count?

Brock
06-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Might have been easier if they had "sold" you the land.

The Bad Guy
06-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Not this shit again. The board suffered through The Bad Guy building a new house and now we've got this guy on TBG's heels.

Yes, I'm sure you suffered through it.

Dave Lane
06-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I did a couple times. Probably won't do it again.

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Are you going to build it with your own two hands?

No, not all.

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 09:32 AM
yes. 7 years ago, but i don't remember having to go through anything like that. i'm out in the country, though.
sec

Me too, the zoning board is a bunch of rednecks who don't have cell phones and never answer their office phones or call people back LOL.

No, I'm not going to make this a big deal, just a simple thread.

notorious
06-15-2012, 09:33 AM
No, not all.

OK.

I am going to build myself a house with my own hands someday. Good luck!

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Might have been easier if they had "sold" you the land.

They have LOL.

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 09:37 AM
I did a couple times. Probably won't do it again.

For the same reasons I listed?

Brock
06-15-2012, 09:37 AM
They have LOL.

I don't understand what the zoning problem is, then.

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't understand what the zoning problem is, then.

They are saying that in our township that each property must have 200 feet of frontage per parcel, no matter where I build on the property (their reasoning sounds almost mind boggling dumb to my father and I). Apparently my parents house has 120 feet used already, so if I built my house on that property it would put the total over 200 which is apprently not allowed due to zoning restrictions. So now I have to jump through a bunch of hoops and pay the fat cats for every hoop!

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
They are saying that in our township that each property must have 200 feet of frontage per parcel, no matter where I build on the property (their reasoning sounds almost mind boggling dumb to my father and I). Apparently my parents house has 120 feet used already, so if I built my house on that property it would put the total over 200 which is apprently not allowed due to zoning restrictions. So now I have to jump through a bunch of hoops and pay the fat cats for every hoop!

Let me even clarify that this frontage is what they consider "road frontage", I would be building on my parents back 7 acres which would be a mile from the road at least. So I am having trouble grasping why I need zoning permission.

Pablo
06-15-2012, 10:39 AM

LMAO

Hoover
06-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I did in 2010, it was a great experience.

My only advice is find a good builder.

ThatRaceCardGuy
06-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Long story short my teenage brothers rebuilt.my parents home after a fire in 2008 from the ground up with no.prior experience. The passed final inspection today and were going to.have a paint party this weekend

Okie_Apparition
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Insulation sandwiched between tarps & plastic sheeting
just don't let the insulation touch the ground & get wet
Walmart blankets with animals on them make great wallpaper

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Insulation sandwiched between tarps & plastic sheeting
just don't let the insulation touch the ground & get wet
Walmart blankets with animals on them make great wallpaper

Blueballs, it is you huh? I had heard rumour about you being around, and this post smells of you.

Gadzooks
06-15-2012, 03:07 PM
1 score and 3 years ago my family and I raised our home
http://nursing322sp10.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/amish-family.jpg
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=amish+barn+raising&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1058&bih=576&tbm=isch&tbnid=n0T2y6YynGtS1M:&imgrefurl=http://christhomasdesign.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/thoughts-on-amish-barn-raising/&docid=cKCH3bP_6xmumM&imgurl=http://christhomasdesign.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/amish-barn-raising.jpg&w=600&h=445&ei=LqTbT9bxM8ed6AG_m93ECw&zoom=1

jspchief
06-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Are you planning on being the general contractor? Or hiring one?

My first thought is if you are already bitching about the "hoops", you're better off paying a GC to build you a custom home.

There are a lot of rules that you'll have to follow along the way and you'll probably think a fair number of them are silly. But the zoning office doesn't give a shit about you, because the meat of their job is centered on dealing with professionals, not educating Joe Home Depot. The same will be true of all the contractors you hire. They have customers that give them business year in and year out, where will they rank mister one job in a lifetime?

I'm not saying its impossible, but it does at the very least take a lot of patience. Based on your post about step 1 in the process, I think you may not be prepared for what it entails.

mlyonsd
06-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Probably the most satisfying thing I've ever done. I was my own general and did maybe 25% of the work myself. Scary, but if you know someone that has done it that you can bend their ear on you can make it work.

jspchief is right though, think hard first if you really want the headaches that can come along with it when there are set backs.

El Jefe
06-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Are you planning on being the general contractor? Or hiring one?

My first thought is if you are already bitching about the "hoops", you're better off paying a GC to build you a custom home.

There are a lot of rules that you'll have to follow along the way and you'll probably think a fair number of them are silly. But the zoning office doesn't give a shit about you, because the meat of their job is centered on dealing with professionals, not educating Joe Home Depot. The same will be true of all the contractors you hire. They have customers that give them business year in and year out, where will they rank mister one job in a lifetime?

I'm not saying its impossible, but it does at the very least take a lot of patience. Based on your post about step 1 in the process, I think you may not be prepared for what it entails.

No way, I would NEVER attempt that. I have zero interest in doing GC work. My wifes uncle builds fantastic houses, so we would pay him.

mlyonsd
06-15-2012, 09:45 PM
No way, I would NEVER attempt that. I have zero interest in doing GC work. My wifes uncle builds fantastic houses, so we would pay him.Well there you go. If you trust him it's a no brainer.

RJ
06-15-2012, 10:02 PM
I've sold floors to many customers who were building their own homes. I'm sure most of them were nice people but but by the time they got to me (floors are at the end, of course) most of them were un-fucking-bearable. They tend to be out of money, months behind schedule and they blame all their problems on everyone else. I'm sure some people can do the GC's job but not most people. The devil, as they say, is in the details.

JASONSAUTO
06-15-2012, 10:09 PM
I feel like I am right now...

major addition. Couple bathrooms, one has a couple hundred square feet of tile... Over a six hundred sq foot master level, lol... Baby room, guest room...

two carr garage going to a game room
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRichard
06-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Dude you post some of the dumbest stuff on this site. You are the new redrum, I take that back because that would be an insult to redrum, you would make redrum look like a genious. Congratulations tard!!!!

LOL. Did I **** your daughter or something? I don't think I have ever interacted with you before but thanks for the words of encouragement. LMAO