PDA

View Full Version : Obama Somalia and Yemen. Troops on the ground

HonestChieffan
06-16-2012, 04:25 PM
(Security Clearance) — For the first time, the Obama administration has publicly stated that U.S. military forces are engaged in direct action against suspected terrorists in Yemen and Somalia.

In a letter to Congress on Friday, President Barack Obama informed lawmakers of U.S. military actions in the two nations that have seen significant terrorist activity and civil unrest.

On Somalia, the president stated, “In a limited number of cases, the U.S. military has taken direct action in Somalia against members of al Qaeda, including those who are also members of al-Shabaab, who are engaged in efforts to carry out terrorist attacks against the United States and our interests.”

Obama noted that U.S. forces have been working with Yemen to dismantle al Qaeda’s powerful affiliate there.

“Our joint efforts have resulted in direct action against a limited number of AQAP (al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula) operatives and senior leaders in that country who posed a terrorist threat to the United States and our interests,” Obama wrote.

The War Powers Resolution of 1973 requires the White House to periodically inform Congress about American military forces who are deployed overseas for possible combat.

The disclosure comes at a time when the administration is fighting off accusations that it deliberately leaked classified information about its national security efforts for political gain. Recent reports revealed the administration’s decision-making process in targeting terrorists for missile strikes, a U.S. cyber attack against an Iranian nuclear facility, and a mole inside al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula who helped thwart a bomb plot intended to strike an airliner headed for the United States.

Keep reading. . .
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/15/white-house-military-is-fighting-terrorism-in-somalia-and-yemen/

SNR
06-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Why do conservatives hate Obama's foreign policy again? Sounds like he's killing plenty of turrists

patteeu
06-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Why do conservatives hate Obama's foreign policy again? Sounds like he's killing plenty of turrists

Because that's only one, narrow aspect of foreign policy. It's the one redeeming feature as far as I'm concerned although even there I suspect that he's opting for a kill in some cases where a capture and interrogate option might be preferrable simply because he doesn't like his detention options. That's admittedly speculative and minor in comparison to my other complaints about the man.

Coyote
06-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Assassination as a foreign policy is entertaining to implement and a bit inconsistent with our goals. Funny that as we coordinate with the dept of state and white house that we (military) tend to be the voice of moderation for an administration awarded a Nobel peace prize before a day in the chair.
The war powers act has never been constitutionally challenged so it is principally ignored, however, we (military) now more frequently find ourselves isolated policy wise, due to no congressional resolutions for these actions. From WWii (last declaration of war) forward we always at least had the legal,moral,ethical underpinning of a congressional resolution for combat actions until Libya operation odyssey dawn. This is apparently the new model where a UN chapter 6 or 7 operation or other alliance (NATO) is the legal, ethical moral undpinning of assassinations and precision ops centralized outside our combatant commanders. Though of course we state that assassination is illegal to apply to heads of state. Historically this is a very Israeli model in terms of implementation and kill chain/decision authority from the head of state. Another irony and policy friction point in the Region.

SNR
06-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Because that's only one, narrow aspect of foreign policy. It's the one redeeming feature as far as I'm concerned although even there I suspect that he's opting for a kill in some cases where a capture and interrogate option might be preferrable simply because he doesn't like his detention options. That's admittedly speculative and minor in comparison to my other complaints about the man.What is it about Obama's foreign policy besides matters of national security that you don't like? Is it just the way he makes an ass of himself in front of other countries, or does it get down to fundamental principles?

HonestChieffan
06-17-2012, 08:58 AM
What is it about Obama's foreign policy besides matters of national security that you don't like? Is it just the way he makes an ass of himself in front of other countries, or does it get down to fundamental principles?

Principles? Obama?

Fathers day joke im sure

patteeu
06-17-2012, 09:07 AM
What is it about Obama's foreign policy besides matters of national security that you don't like? Is it just the way he makes an ass of himself in front of other countries, or does it get down to fundamental principles?

Other than his apparent desire to shift us away from Israel toward a more European perspective on the Arab/Israeli conflict, his foreign policy seems incoherent to me.

He treats our rivals/adversaries better in many cases than our long term allies. See his quick call for Hosni Mubarak to step down compared to his hesitance to even condemn Iran's repression of it's internal freedom protesters for an example.

He made a bad arms control deal with the Russians and pulled the rug out from under our Eastern European allies at the same time. It's not at all clear what we got out of that deal. And now he hints at more bad deals with the Russians if he gets past the election.

And while he has put on a show of fighting his inherited conflict in Afghanistan, it's not clear that his goal is anything other than to fight our way to the publicized withdrawal date and then get out of dodge.

I don't think the cause of deterrence through perceived strength will be enhanced by his first four years in office. In fact, I think quite the opposite.