PDA

View Full Version : News Rodney King found dead

Mr. Laz
06-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Kris Ketz ‏@KrisKetz
RT @BryanMonroeCNN: #CNN reporting Rodney King was found dead Sunday, police said. He was 47.
Reply Retweet Favorite

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Rodney King, whose beating by Los Angeles police in 1991 was caught on camera and sparked riots after the acquittal of the four officers involved, was found dead in his swimming pool Sunday, authorities and his fiancee confirmed. He was 47.

King's beating after a high-speed car chase and its aftermath forever changed Los Angeles, its police department and the dialogue on race in America.

King was 25 and on parole after a robbery conviction in April 1991. In an interview in 2011, he recalled he had been drinking and was headed home from a friend's house when he saw a police car following him and panicked, thinking he would be sent back to prison. So he attempted to flee.

"I had a job to go to that Monday, and I knew I was on parole, and I knew I wasn't supposed to be drinking, and I'm like 'Oh, my God,'" he told CNN.

Related: Rodney King looks back without anger

He realized he couldn't outrun the police, but looked for a public place to stop. "I saw all those apartments over there, so I said, 'I'm gonna stop right there,'" he said. "'If it goes down, somebody will see it.'"
An amateur cameraman caught the scene as four white police officers struck King more than 50 times with their wooden batons and used a stun gun on him.

2011: King a symbol of police brutality 2011: Rodney King, 20 years later

King said as the officers beat him, they yelled, "We are going to kill you, n***er," although the officers denied using racial slurs.
The video shows King cowering on the ground and attempting to crawl away as he is surrounded by a crowd of police officers. Four of them used their nightsticks to strike him.

King was beaten nearly to death. Three surgeons operated on him for five hours.

The video of the beating appeared on national television two days later, focusing attention on the issue of racially-motivated police brutality.
"We finally caught the Loch Ness Monster with a camcorder," King attorney Milton Grimes said.

Four LAPD officers -- Theodore Briseno, Laurence Powell, Timothy Wind and Sgt. Stacey Koon -- were indicted on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and excessive use of force by a police officer.
But following a three-month trial in the predominantly white Los Angeles suburb of Simi Valley, three of the officers were acquitted of all charges. The jury, which had no white members, deadlocked on one charge of excessive force against Powell, and a mistrial was declared on that charge.

Powell's attorney, Michael Stone, said earlier this year the unedited video worked against King and helped prove the officers' case.
"Most of the nation only saw a few snippets where it's the most violent," Stone said. "They didn't see (King) get up and run at Powell."
But African-Americans in Los Angeles exploded in outrage. Rioters ran through the streets -- looting businesses, torching buildings and attacking those who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The violence was responsible for more than 50 deaths and $1 billion in property damage.

On the third day of rioting, King emerged from seclusion to make a plea: "People, I just want to say, can we all get along? Can we get along?"

The violence ceased, but the

Baconeater
06-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Cool, we all don't have to get along anymore!

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Cool, we all don't have to get along anymore!
Best me to it...fucker
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-17-2012, 10:35 AM
where is the rioting?

KC Tattoo
06-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Did it have anything to do with zombies?

Saulbadguy
06-17-2012, 10:38 AM
RIP

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Did he have a private radiohead concert planned?
Posted via Mobile Device

bevischief
06-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Did it have anything to do with zombies?

Was he a zombie?

Al Bundy
06-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Reginald Denny is not amused.

KC Tattoo
06-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Was he a zombie?

I don't know, but it's a matter of if I should give a fuck or not to this story. If he turns into a zombie or was attacked by zombies it could be a big deal.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Chlorine is better than bath salt.

Bane
06-17-2012, 10:47 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/4twl.jpg

cosmo20002
06-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Can't we all just learn to swim?

cdcox
06-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Looks like he never was able to get a handle on his substance abuse problems. RIP.

Tombstone RJ
06-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi died in his swimming pool?

Deberg_1990
06-17-2012, 11:06 AM
RIP Rodney....

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-17-2012, 11:19 AM
RIP

Sucky
06-17-2012, 11:25 AM
RIP

notorious
06-17-2012, 11:48 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/rodney-king-dead-swimming-pool-160339712.html

Rodney King found dead in swimming pool, reports say

Rodney King, whose videotaped beating by police in 1991 sparked the L.A. riots, was found dead at his California home on Sunday. He was 47.

Police said King's fiancée discovered him at the bottom of the swimming pool at their Rialto, Calif., home, about 55 miles east of Los Angeles.

Police responded to a call at 5:25 a.m., pulled King out of the pool and attempted CPR, but could not revive him.

King's representative Suzanne Wickman confirmed to his death to KABC-TV.

The cause of death is unknown, but police are investigating it as a drowning. Rialto Police Capt. Randy DeAnda told CNN there were no preliminary signs of foul play.

King was beaten by four white LAPD officers following a DUI stop on March 3, 1991. Footage captured by an amateur videographer showed the officers hitting King 56 times with wooden batons.

"I just got lucky that night to have the cameras on me," King said in April, marking the 20th anniversary of the L.A. riots. "When I saw the tape, I was so happy that it was on tape and then looking at it, it was like I was in another body. I felt like I had died in that one, and was just watching it."

The four officers--Theodore Briseno, Laurence Powell, Timothy Wind and Sgt. Stacey Koon--were acquitted of criminal charges, sparking the riots that left 55 people dead.

"It felt like Armageddon," King said of the acquittal. "It felt like the end of the world. I was hurt. I was past upset."

"I was raised not to be violent, and not to be rioting and carrying on like a wild man," he added, "but at the same time, there was a side of me saying, 'What else can you do?' I didn't agree with it, but I understood."

notorious
06-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Off to DC!!!!!

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Q
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Q

gblowfish
06-17-2012, 11:51 AM
I bet the LAPD are to blame for this....

notorious
06-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Can't ......delete......thread......

Fuck!

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Yahoo had a completely different article posted, then took it off very quickly for this one.

The other article mentioned the riots and looting that occured, including the trucker that got his eyeball knocked out he got beat so badly. with a fucking fire extinguisher.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2012, 11:52 AM
He probably deserved it because he had long hair though.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
06-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Damnit, Laz beat me to the punch.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-17-2012, 11:57 AM
yeah but did you guys hear they found Rodney King dead in his swimming pool?

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2012, 11:57 AM
You were close though. He only posted it a little over an HOUR earlier. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Planetman
06-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi died in his swimming pool?
According to TMZ, King's fiancée is telling friends King had been drinking and even smoked weed in the hours just before his death.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-17-2012, 12:00 PM
According to TMZ, King's fiancée is telling friends King had been drinking and even smoked weed in the hours just before his death.

Swimming is the next logical step.

(unless of course he just fell in)

Planetman
06-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Swimming is the next logical step.

(unless of course he just fell in)
Actually, swimmimg with a cinder block would have been the next logical step for ol R King. Dude's brain was just ... gone.

Chiefshrink
06-17-2012, 12:04 PM

he did this everyday of his life. I don't buy it:D

Chiefshrink
06-17-2012, 12:07 PM
He probably deserved it because he had long hair though.
Posted via Mobile Device

:LOL::thumb:

Definitely a double standard for sure.

notorious
06-17-2012, 12:24 PM
You were close though. He only posted it a little over an HOUR earlier. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

It's Father's Day. We are allowed to be slooooooow. :D

Count Alex's Losses
06-17-2012, 12:26 PM
FINAL DESTINATION

Iowanian
06-17-2012, 12:39 PM
I guess he was finally killed by the Oakland police afterall.

They beat him, he gets paid, buys swimming pool with ass kicking funds, drowns in pool.

JASONSAUTO
06-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Conspiracy, wonder if his fiancee will sue
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog Farmer
06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I'll miss Rodney King. He was such a great person. He unified the whole black community in one single beating.

notorious
06-17-2012, 01:30 PM
JFC, I didn't realize that 55 people died.

My best friend is from Carson, and he said that the riots were as far from racial anger as it gets. It was all about robbing and stealing shit.

He was only in 8th grade at the time, so maybe he saw it differently.

Hog Farmer
06-17-2012, 01:35 PM
JFC, I didn't realize that 55 people died.

My best friend is from Carson, and he said that the riots were as far from racial anger as it gets. It was all about robbing and stealing shit.

He was only in 8th grade at the time, so maybe he saw it differently.

Sure it was racial,all the blacks started destroying everything except their crack pipes. And if a white guy was in the area they would kill him.

aturnis
06-17-2012, 01:35 PM
It started as a racial upheaval. I'm sure after time, it turned into something different. Although, most of the robbing probably victimized white business owners the most.

notorious
06-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Just relaying what I was told by a person that was in the middle of it.

L.A. Chieffan
06-17-2012, 01:48 PM
If you look at the streets
It wasn't about Rodney King
It was about this situation
And these fucked up police
It was about coming up and staying on top
And screaming 187 on a mother fucking COP

Rain Man
06-17-2012, 02:19 PM

They beat him, he gets paid, buys swimming pool with ass kicking funds, drowns in pool.

It really makes you think about cause and effect, doesn't it?

(Oh, and LA police, but it doesn't take away from the key point.)

Rain Man
06-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Where's Leonard Pope when you need him?

qabbaan
06-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Sure it was racial,all the blacks started destroying everything except their crack pipes. And if a white guy was in the area they would kill him.

At least half of the rioters were hispanic.

It's sad to watch the poor and uneducated protest inequality by burning their own neighborhoods. Talk about misdirected anger.

kysirsoze
06-17-2012, 02:22 PM

He's been broke for some time according to an LA Times story I read not long ago.

qabbaan
06-17-2012, 02:23 PM
He's been broke for some time according to an LA Times story I read not long ago.

He had more than one child support related judgement against him IIRC

threebag02
06-17-2012, 02:39 PM
...and in other news...

cabletech94
06-17-2012, 05:05 PM
wrecked 'em? damn near killed 'em!

/too soon? sorry.

boogblaster
06-17-2012, 05:43 PM
he will be missed .....

dmahurin
06-17-2012, 07:32 PM
He's being beaten by heavens doors. Oh wait HE'S beating on heavens door. Had that backwards.

InChiefsHell
06-17-2012, 07:54 PM
That whole incident was ridiculous. Even here in Omaha, we were mentioned on national news for rioting that was taking place here. North O of course, which is where all the shit hits the fan. I had a buddy call my all concerned because Tom Brokaw mentioned rioting in Omaha. Ridiculous.

All it was turned out to be a reason to riot and steal shit. Nobody will convince me otherwise. The black people and other minorities who were rioting at the time didn't give two shits about Rodney King. They wanted free shit. It was the most deplorable picture of that community ever. They stopped being victims and became animals. It was horrible to watch.

I remember the picture of the black preacher praying and it made me cry. I wonder whatever happened to that dude...

BigChiefFan
06-17-2012, 08:03 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgCiC6qTtjs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tgCiC6qTtjs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

BigChiefFan
06-17-2012, 08:09 PM
My favorite part...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CvaNJ0mF_JM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CvaNJ0mF_JM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

notorious
06-17-2012, 08:13 PM
If that ever happened in the Midwest, it would take a semi to haul away the dead bodies of the rioters.

stevieray
06-17-2012, 08:15 PM
47?...that's a shame..way too young.

RIP

Hog Farmer
06-17-2012, 09:12 PM
47?...that's a shame..way too young.

RIP

I agree. He could have been at least 48 when he got all fucked up and drowned himself after blowing 4 million dollars on crack and prostitutes.

notorious
06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I agree. He could have been at least 48 when he got all ****ed up and drowned himself after blowing 4 million dollars on crack and prostitutes.

He got 4 million?

I would take a savage beating for that.

Rain Man
06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
If that ever happened in the Midwest, it would take a semi to haul away the dead bodies of the rioters.

Yeah, if this had happened in Texas or Nebraska or someplace, I suspect that the casualty count would have been fundamentally different in structure.

MOhillbilly
06-17-2012, 09:44 PM
America needs a good riot now and then to scare whitey.

thurman merman
06-17-2012, 11:03 PM
For some reason I keep thinking of this guy when I see this thread.

http://www.hollywoodmurder.com/Pictures/Donking.jpg

stevieray
06-18-2012, 12:16 AM
I agree. He could have been at least 48 when he got all ****ed up and drowned himself after blowing 4 million dollars on crack and prostitutes.

ya, at least.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2012, 06:21 PM
TMZ ‏@TMZ
Rodney King -- Weed Plants, Pitchfork Confiscated from Home http://tmz.me/MoJwH3
View summary
Reply Retweet Favorite

thabear04
06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Found this joke on twitter

Rodney King found dead in a pool today. Whitney Houston found dead in the bathtub. Black people can't swim stereotype is obviously real.

Gravedigger
06-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Hmmmm... where were the police during the time of this event...