PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Brinkman smoke n grill

Pages : [1] 2

crispystl420
06-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Anyone ever use one of these for smoking ? I just want something cheap to practice with.

lewdog
06-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Anyone ever use one of these for smoking ? I just want something cheap to practice with.

How much is it? I was looking at a cheap one to mess around with as I can afford a nice one just yet.

crispystl420
06-17-2012, 12:28 PM
How much is it? I was looking at a cheap one to mess around with as I can afford a nice one just yet.

Only 39.00 bucks man. I let you know how it goes.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Grills-Accessories-Smokers-Fryers/Outdoors-Outdoor-Living-Grills-Accessories-Smokers-Fryers/Brinkmann/h_d1/R-100606041/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&productId=100606041&storeId=10051#BVRRWidgetID

lewdog
06-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Only 39.00 bucks man. I let you know how it goes.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Grills-Accessories-Smokers-Fryers/Outdoors-Outdoor-Living-Grills-Accessories-Smokers-Fryers/Brinkmann/h_d1/R-100606041/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&productId=100606041&storeId=10051#BVRRWidgetID

Haha no fucking way. That was the exact one I was looking at yesterday! It probably won't keep a consistent temp so most of the pros on here will tell you not to buy it. But I need something cheap at this point and am curious how this one would work.

Stewie
06-17-2012, 12:40 PM
For $20 more you can get this and it's much better than the Brinkman. It's only available at Tractor Supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/redstone-trade-professional-bbq-charcoal-smoker-1028251

Old Dog
06-17-2012, 12:43 PM
I have one. I haven't done much with it other than turkeys at Thanksgiving and a pork butt or beef brisket once in a while.
I'm not a pro though, and only do anything with it a few times a year though, so I don't need anything fancy. It works for me.

crispystl420
06-17-2012, 01:23 PM
I have one. I haven't done much with it other than turkeys at Thanksgiving and a pork butt or beef brisket once in a while.
I'm not a pro though, and only do anything with it a few times a year though, so I don't need anything fancy. It works for me.

This is all I'm looking for "something that works" It doesn't have to be fancy.

burt
06-17-2012, 01:47 PM
For $20 more you can get this and it's much better than the Brinkman. It's only available at Tractor Supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/redstone-trade-professional-bbq-charcoal-smoker-1028251

I had the Brinkman in FLA, but think Stewie is right!!!

Predarat
06-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Are the tall smokers better? I prefer to have the pit on the side but I could be wrong, one like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aadpxuCT7nQ/S96uppeRAzI/AAAAAAAAAq8/gv2s9ivdFMg/s400/Brinkmann+Smoke'N+Grill+Charcoal+At+Bid66.jpg

sedated
06-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Are the tall smokers better? I prefer to have the pit on the side but I could be wrong

I've heard condescending remarks about those types, but I thought they were pretty standard, so I'd like an opinion on this as well. I assume the side-box smokers are better at keeping a low heat. Wheres Alton Brown when you need him?

The big green egg is extremely popular and has this same shape, but I'd bet my 401k that the materials to make it are head and shoulders above the cheap one.

bevischief
06-17-2012, 03:10 PM
They do the job for cheap.

gblowfish
06-17-2012, 05:43 PM

I went out to Tractor Supply, my wife bought me one of these for Fathers Day!
Thanks dear!

Baconeater
06-17-2012, 05:47 PM
I went out to Tractor Supply, my wife bought me one of these for Fathers Day!
Thanks dear!
Let me know how that works for you, I'm very tempted to go snag one of those for myself.

gblowfish
06-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Let me know how that works for you, I'm very tempted to go snag one of those for myself.

It was "on sale" for $65. I've got to assemble it, probably use it next weekend to smoke some chicken and ribs. Low and slow, baby...low and slow.

Phobia
06-17-2012, 10:15 PM
It probably won't keep a consistent temp so most of the pros on here will tell you not to buy it. But I need something cheap at this point and am curious how this one would work.
I started on something like that. You have to babysit it quite a bit but they do good Q and you'll figure out if it's something you want to pursue more seriously for $40. That's a cheap way to learn and if you can produce good Q with something that doesn't hold temp well, you can definitely do well on a better rig.

WV
06-17-2012, 11:16 PM
I have one and have had good luck with it. Google some mods for it though, you definitely need to vent the charcoal bowl if you do nothing else.

BryanBusby
06-18-2012, 04:10 AM

They definitely aren't great, but for that purpose it should do the job.

ChiefGator
06-18-2012, 06:04 AM
I had one like that... I found it hard to keep the temp low. Always said I was smoking/grilling the ribs. For some things, that isn't bad though.

I just bought a side fire box smoker (Chargriller) which I smoked up some baby back ribs yesterday with some Apple/Cherry/Hickory wood. Mmmm.. good.

damaticous
06-18-2012, 06:37 AM
I have a 18" weber smokey mountain I'll sell for $100. It's a little on the dirty side, but I'll clean it up for ya if you want to buy it.

Rukdafaidas
06-18-2012, 06:52 AM
I have a 18" weber smokey mountain I'll sell for $100. It's a little on the dirty side, but I'll clean it up for ya if you want to buy it.

Where do you live?

damaticous
06-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Where do you live?

Chillicothe

tooge
06-18-2012, 07:09 AM

WSM is the best on the market. Holds 225 to 250 for a solid 8 or 9 hours. I'd jump on that deal but I already have the 22inch model

damaticous
06-18-2012, 07:22 AM
WSM is the best on the market. Holds 225 to 250 for a solid 8 or 9 hours. I'd jump on that deal but I already have the 22inch model

I love it, but I use my 22" more now. I have to thin the heard of smokers and grills. i currently have 6 (just gave away my Chargriller with offset firebox). I use the 22" smokey mountain, 22" regular weber grill, and my green mountain pellet smoker so all the others gotta go.

crispystl420
06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
I have one and have had good luck with it. Google some mods for it though, you definitely need to vent the charcoal bowl if you do nothing else.

Yeah, Ive read that you need to in order for the ash to fall out. What i'm worried about though is that the charcoal will burn that much faster and hotter. I'm having trouble keeping the temp down already.

gblowfish
06-23-2012, 09:18 PM
I used the Red Stone Smoker from Tractor Supply today for the first time on some ribs and a pot of beans.

I started with a charcoal stacker full of Kingsford, then added Royal Lump Charcoal and some damp chunks of hickory. Let the coals get hot for about an hour before filling the water bowl (50-50 mix water and apple juice).

The smoker did a pretty nice job. I drilled some holes in the charcoal bowl in the bottom to help with air flow. Let the ribs smoke for three hours, then wrapped them up in foil and put them in the oven for another two hours at 265. Smoked beans were outstanding.

Heat in the smoker was around 225 to 250. The door does not seal too well, and the body leaks a little smoke, but not too bad. For $65, it did a damn fine job, and cleanup wasn't bad.

Here's the rig in my back yard by my tin roof rusted garden shack in the back yard. It was nice and cool late morning, ribs were done before it got hot in the afternoon. Worked out perfect. Going to try pork chops and chicken next time.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zy9c95.jpg

Baconeater
06-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Just curious, why did you start with the Kingsford instead of going straight to the lump charcoal?

gblowfish
06-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Just curious, why did you start with the Kingsford instead of going straight to the lump charcoal?

My pal Mr. Doggity (the BBQ guy) said Kingsford makes the best base, because it lights in a charcoal stacker quicker than lump, and burns more evenly. He does a stacker (or two, depending on the size grill he's using) as the base, then puts in the lump charcoal and smoker chips second. Gets the fire started quicker. Plus lump charcoal is usually a bit more expensive than Kingsford, so doing this method conserves on the more expensive charcoal.

I ended up using about 1/3rd of a bag of Kingsford to get started, then most of a bag of Royal Oak lump to keep the fire going for 4 hours.

The Red Stone smoker is not nearly as efficient as the Weber Smokey Mountain, but for $65 I thought it did a good job. It certainly wouldn't last long if you used it a lot, like every weekend. But for occasional stuff, should last 3 or 4 years.

Baconeater
06-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Huh, the small broken up pieces in a bag of lump seem to light fairly quickly. I can definitely see an advantage cost-wise though.

And yeah, I just want something to mess around with once in a while. If I want serious Q I'll go to the smokehouse down the street.

gblowfish
06-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Huh, the small broken up pieces in a bag of lump seem to light fairly quickly. I can definitely see an advantage cost-wise though.

And yeah, I just want something to mess around with once in a while. If I want serious Q I'll go to the smokehouse down the street.

I feel the same way. Smoking ribs is an half-day commitment. By the time you buy the meat, the charcoal, the wood chips, the apple juice, and spend time with the cleanup, you can buy a slab or two of ribs from any of the BBQ joints in KC for about the same money and without burning a half day labor. It's about the journey, really. My ribs turned out great, and although they probably won't win any contests, I was very happy with the results.

Flachief58
06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
It's about the journey, really. My ribs turned out great, and although they probably won't win any contests, I was very happy with the results.

That's why I do it. I don't need trophys, I just want my friends and family to enjoy my food and have a good time.

oldman
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I started with one of those, but I never could seem to keep the temp steady. I finally just went with the 2 chambered Brinkman and I've used it over 20 years.

Dayze
06-24-2012, 02:58 PM
The 22 WSM is what I'm hoping to get by football season. I was going to just get a brinkman etc but figured I'd just buy now what I'd probably buy down the road anyway. I was going to do the 18 but I think the 22 will be more versatile.

KCUnited
06-24-2012, 03:03 PM
The 22 WSM is what I'm hoping to get by football season. I was going to just get a brinkman etc but figured I'd just buy now what I'd probably buy down the road anyway. I was going to do the 18 but I think the 22 will be more versatile.

Spring for the 22, it's worth it.

Dayze
06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Spring for the 22, it's worth it.

Thanks. Yeah I was going with the 18 but after I thought about it, I'm going w the 22

crispystl420
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
I smoked ribs on this thing yesterday and they turned out great. I just let the charcoal burn down until it was around 220 and then just kept throwing 8-10 pieces of charcoal on at a time, and when it got too hot I put on the soaked chips. It took a little babysitting but the ribs were bad ass. I can tell this is going to be my new hobby.

lewdog
07-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I am in the market for a cheaper smoker. Wonder what types the good fellows of CP would recommend for a beginner?

I see Brinkman makes the smoke n grill, and the barrel grill and smoker. Wondering if there are any other beginner models under $100 to take a look at?

Baconeater
07-09-2012, 10:23 PM
I am in the market for a cheaper smoker. Wonder what types the good fellows of CP would recommend for a beginner?

I see Brinkman makes the smoke n grill, and the barrel grill and smoker. Wondering if there are any other beginner models under $100 to take a look at?
Well, you could start by reading the thread.

journeyscarab
07-09-2012, 10:24 PM

I have the Brinkmann Barrel Smoker and I love it. I am a noob when it comes to smoking meats but I have done 3 boston butts, smoked a couple of salmon and used it for regular grilling. I really like it. I think its a great smoker for a beginner.

http://www.brinkmann.net/images/products/outdoorcooking/zoom/810-3001-S-l.jpg

lewdog
07-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Well, you could start by reading the thread.

Just curious since summer has hit if anyone had any different opinions. And no I don't have a tractor supply store you asshat!

Baconeater
07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Oh yeah...probably not many tractors in AZ.

lewdog
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM

Correct. Thinking about just smoking meat on the pavement here though, probably hot enough.

LiveSteam
07-10-2012, 12:51 AM

Hurry up & buy a smoker Mr. Grill Master.
Lets get some of this cat fish SMOKED!

lewdog
07-15-2012, 02:56 PM
I am still looking at smokers and have likely settled on this. Thoughts or anyone that has this model that would like to comment on its use?

To me it reads like it doesn't have vents so I would need to regulate the temp with a water pan instead?

http://bbq.about.com/od/smokerreviews/gr/Brinkmann-Gourmet-Charcoal-Smoker-And-Grill.htm

gblowfish
07-15-2012, 03:26 PM
The Red Stone from Tractor Supply has vents for the same or less money. I've been very happy with mine, used it three times in the last month, no complaints. Too bad there's no store where you are. Maybe they'd ship one. UPS can't cost that much more.

HemiEd
07-15-2012, 03:29 PM
I am still looking at smokers and have likely settled on this. Thoughts or anyone that has this model that would like to comment on its use?

To me it reads like it doesn't have vents so I would need to regulate the temp with a water pan instead?

http://bbq.about.com/od/smokerreviews/gr/Brinkmann-Gourmet-Charcoal-Smoker-And-Grill.htm

I used one of those Brinkmans for many years, and my little brother still prefers his, to his big offset firebox smoker.

I had really good luck with Turkey's in them, just keep an eye on the water pan or the heat can get away from you.

The one in post 9 is the one I have now, and I really like it. Not the best, but good enough.

lewdog
07-15-2012, 05:34 PM
The Red Stone from Tractor Supply has vents for the same or less money. I've been very happy with mine, used it three times in the last month, no complaints. Too bad there's no store where you are. Maybe they'd ship one. UPS can't cost that much more.

Did you have to make any modifications to it or are you using it as is? The description of it on their site is lacking so if you could provide me with any more details, that would be great.

Looked up the shipping to Phoenix and it would only be $15 extra to ship! This could be the winner then.

lewdog
07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
I used one of those Brinkmans for many years, and my little brother still prefers his, to his big offset firebox smoker.

I had really good luck with Turkey's in them, just keep an eye on the water pan or the heat can get away from you.

The one in post 9 is the one I have now, and I really like it. Not the best, but good enough.

I was reading today that the offset smokers are not the best to use because the smoke tends to rise, no transfer horizontally. The reason expensive horizontal smokers work better is because of reverse flow. And others say the temp difference between the different sides of the box are much too great for even cooking.

Don't know how much any of that makes sense but a few articles I have read have made those comments.

crispystl420
07-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm thinking about smoking a chicken next weekend. Does anyone have any tips or experience to offer?

gblowfish
07-15-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking about smoking a chicken next weekend. Does anyone have any tips or experience to offer?

Get some really big rolling papers....

gblowfish
07-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Did you have to make any modifications to it or are you using it as is? The description of it on their site is lacking so if you could provide me with any more details, that would be great.

Looked up the shipping to Phoenix and it would only be $15 extra to ship! This could be the winner then.

I drilled about 10 holes in the charcoal pan to let air pass better to the coals. Also put some fire felt around the door seal. Look, it's a $70 smoker, so it's not going to be as nice as a WSM, but it does a fine job. Make sure to use plenty of liquid in the water pan. What I do is fill it with water then chuck in a can of frozen apple juice. You can use frozen cherry juice too if you like. Works great.

I've used mine about three or four times in the last month. Did ribs twice, and chicken. All came out great. You can also get one of those small steel pots, and put a pot of BBQ beans in there and smoke the beans. Really makes the beans great. Don't forget to get some hickory, pecan or apple wood chips for the fire.

Check out this thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130883

lewdog
07-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks Gblowfish, much appreciated. I will probably go with this Red Stone one as the Brinkmann doesn't have any vents for some odd reason.

3rd&48ers
07-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Chief fans are professional meat smokers

3rd&48ers
07-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks Gblowfish, much appreciated. I will probably go with this Red Stone one as the Brinkmann doesn't have any vents for some odd reason.

I can put some air holes in it for you

crispystl420
07-15-2012, 06:34 PM
My cheap ass brinkman actually holds a nice low temp pretty well. I mess with it about every 45 minutes I guess, but that doesn't seem too bad to me.

Flachief58
07-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Mix 1c apple juice, 1/4c apple cider vinegar, 1tbs honey and some dry rub. Inject the bird, coat in dry rub then let it rest for 2-4 hours in the fridge. I cook mine upright on one of those wire stands.

gblowfish
07-16-2012, 10:28 AM

What the guy was saying about a marinade is good, you don't necessarily have to inject the chicken, but letting it marinade for about 4 hours in the fridge will help the tenderness.

I like a dry rub from these guys. I use it on ribs, but it's also fine on chicken:
http://blueshog.com/website/about.html

HemiEd
07-16-2012, 10:44 AM
I was reading today that the offset smokers are not the best to use because the smoke tends to rise, no transfer horizontally. The reason expensive horizontal smokers work better is because of reverse flow. And others say the temp difference between the different sides of the box are much too great for even cooking.

Don't know how much any of that makes sense but a few articles I have read have made those comments.

Hmm, that is interesting. The reason the smoke stack is at the opposite end, is to bring it across the meat from the source.

I do know that right next to the heat entrance, it is going to be hot as hell, so I don't use that part of the grill.

I bought a couple pretty good thermometers on Ebay, (http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-RCT3W-BBQ-CHARCOAL-GAS-ELECTRIC-GRILL-SMOKER-PIT-THERMOMETER-ADJUSTABLE-/280920876139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416830646b) drilled holes in the cabinet and mounted them above the areas that I use. The far end and middle.

I don't pay any attention to that generic one that came with it, that says cool, ideal and hot.

Also, at the recommendation of this board on another one of these threads, my daughters bought me a remote thermometer (http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROFESSIONAL-2-TEMP-MAVERICK-SMOKER-BBQ-GRILL-PIT-REMOTE-BARBECUE-THERMOMETER-73-/160830470583?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25723e39b7)that is the shiznit. You don't have to open the hood, and can watch the temp progress of the meat from the comfort of the indoors.

tooge
07-16-2012, 11:02 AM
My cheap ass brinkman actually holds a nice low temp pretty well. I mess with it about every 45 minutes I guess, but that doesn't seem too bad to me.

those are pretty easy to modify where you wont have to do that so much. Just make little grill vents on the bottom and one on the top and you can shut the heat down and let out some of the ash for a longer burn. a couple of holes at each location, and a semicircle of metal with a bolt through the middle by the flat side of the semicircle, and you can open and close airflow. Just put one on each side of the grill and one on top

lewdog
07-24-2012, 06:44 PM
My Brinkmann Gourmet smoker came in today! I used my credit card reward points to get this so I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/DSCN0374.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/DSCN0373.jpg

lewdog
08-04-2012, 01:21 PM
I wanna use my smoker for the first time. What cut of meat is the most forgiving for a first timer to try?

Stewie
08-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I wanna use my smoker for the first time. What cut of meat is the most forgiving for a first timer to try?

Pork butt. It's almost impossible to screw it up.

lewdog
08-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Pork butt. It's almost impossible to screw it up.

Sounds good. Length of time on a 7lb'er?

Stewie
08-04-2012, 01:53 PM

12-14 hours if you're doing low and slow (225).

jspchief
08-04-2012, 02:05 PM

Don't cook by time, cook by temp.

You want an internal temp of 190-200. The temp will stall around 170 for 1-2 hours but once it gets past that stall, you get the difference between pork that can be pulled, and pork that needs to be sliced.

Phobia
08-04-2012, 02:10 PM

It takes a very long time - at least 1.5 hrs/lb. But there's no set time. You want to get the internal temp up around 200 if you're pulling it. It's going to stall at 165-170 for at least an hour.

lewdog
08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the help. If it takes that long I may have to wait until another day to do it, have some stuff to do in the morning.

Phobia
08-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the help. If it takes that long I may have to wait until another day to do it, have some stuff to do in the morning.
Just start it on the smoker for 5 or 6 hours then finish it at 225 in the oven. You're not in a competition. Cheating is fine, especially if it means the difference between having Q or not having Q.

Stewie
08-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Don't cook by time, cook by temp.

You want an internal temp of 190-200. The temp will stall around 170 for 1-2 hours but once it gets past that stall, you get the difference between pork that can be pulled, and pork that needs to be sliced.

190-200 internal temp on a 7 lb. pork butt is overcooked.

jspchief
08-04-2012, 02:24 PM

The weight has nothing to do with it. And no, it isn't.

lewdog
08-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Just start it on the smoker for 5 or 6 hours then finish it at 225 in the oven. You're not in a competition. Cheating is fine, especially if it means the difference between having Q or not having Q.

I live in Phoenix and it is 110 outside, I wanna do as much of it outside right now as possible! lol

But that could work if I don't want to have to tend to the smoker all damn day. Thanks.

Phobia
08-04-2012, 02:34 PM

Is it? At what point can it be pulled then?

Flachief58
08-04-2012, 02:39 PM

No..no it is not unless you intend on slicing it. For pulled pork, 190-200 is perfect

Stewie
08-04-2012, 02:43 PM
The weight has nothing to do with it. And no, it isn't.

Who knew that an internal temp of a 6 lb. butt vs. a 9 lb. butt made no difference? Tell me more.

KCUnited
08-04-2012, 03:02 PM
I live in Phoenix and it is 110 outside, I wanna do as much of it outside right now as possible! lol

But that could work if I don't want to have to tend to the smoker all damn day. Thanks.

If you're short on time, just foil it around 160 and leave it on the smoker, it will push it through the stall.

lewdog
08-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Came out pretty good for my first smoke! Didn't get it hot enough as it wasn't as pull apart as I would have liked and I might not have applied the rub liberally enough. But still tasted awesome. I used Mesquite wood with pineapple juice in the water bowl. Smoked for 8 hours.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/DSCN0377.jpg

KCUnited
08-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Came out pretty good for my first smoke! Didn't get it hot enough as it wasn't as pull apart as I would have liked and I might not have applied the rub liberally enough. But still tasted awesome. I used Mesquite wood with pineapple juice in the water bowl. Smoked for 8 hours.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/DSCN0377.jpg

Nice go of it, boss. You'd be better off mixing that pineapple juice with some rum for your lady though. It ain't doing shit for you in your water bowl.

lewdog
08-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Nice go of it, boss. You'd be better off mixing that pineapple juice with some rum for your lady though. It ain't doing shit for you in your water bowl.

I thought someone on here said putting about 1 cup of juice in the water bowl was a decent idea? Or I read somewhere that it was to add some sweetness. :shrug:

KCUnited
08-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I thought someone on here said putting about 1 cup of juice in the water bowl was a decent idea? Or I read somewhere that it was to add some sweetness. :shrug:

You could add some flavor by injecting it, spritzing it, or possibly marinating it, but you can't infuse flavor from your water bowl. The water bowls primary function is to help regulate the temp, offset the heat.

Gadzooks
08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
You could add some flavor by injecting it, spritzing it, or possibly marinating it, but you can't infuse flavor from your water bowl. The water bowls primary function is to help regulate the temp, offset the heat.

And maintain moisture...

BigRedChief
08-05-2012, 08:46 PM
And maintain moisture...yep, I smoked some pork loin and butt today. Put the wood chips in water and the meat was very tender and juicy.

KCUnited
08-05-2012, 08:51 PM
And maintain moisture...

Not really. Meat has plenty of moisture within and the stall is moisture evaporating from the meat, cooling itself from within. The water pan is really just a heat sink.

Gadzooks
08-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Not really. Meat has plenty of moisture within and the stall is moisture evaporating from the meat, cooling itself from within. The water pan is really just a heat sink.

Agree, It may be a myth, but I guess we both don't beleive that adding pinapple juice will change the final product.

BigRedChief
08-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Not really. Meat has plenty of moisture within and the stall is moisture evaporating from the meat, cooling itself from within. The water pan is really just a heat sink.I just know when I don't put the water pan in there the meat is much drier than when I do use the water pan.

KCUnited
08-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I just know when I don't put the water pan in there the meat is much drier than when I do use the water pan.

Likely a temp issue, but it's an endless debate amongst Q'ers. Slow and low, high heat, water pan, offset, lump, charcoal...people going to believe what they believe and do what works for them. And that's BBQ.

gblowfish
08-05-2012, 09:26 PM
The water pan is to help add humidity to the meat (keeps it moist) and regulate temperature. If you add a can of frozen apple juice to the water, it will keep the water cooler for awhile. It adds aroma to the inside of the chamber. It does not appreciably "flavor" the meat as much as burning apple wood, but it does add aroma to the chamber.

Water is important for meat tenderness and most important, temp regulation. If your bullet smoker has a water pan, use it. It's there for a reason. The other stuff is all personal taste. I like adding fruit juice to the water, but you may find just plain water to work fine for you.

jspchief
08-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Who knew that an internal temp of a 6 lb. butt vs. a 9 lb. butt made no difference? Tell me more.

If you're breaking down connective tissue to pull it, you're gonna have to get internal temp to 190. Regardless of a 6lb butt or 9lb. That's where the tissue breaks down.

If you wanna slice it, go ahead with whatever the fuck you think constitutes a cooked butt. But if you're pulling it, you need the center to hit that temp.

BigRedChief
08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
The water pan is to help add humidity to the meat (keeps it moist) and regulate temperature. If you add a can of frozen apple juice to the water, it will keep the water cooler for awhile. It adds aroma to the inside of the chamber. It does not appreciably "flavor" the meat as much as burning apple wood, but it does add aroma to the chamber.

Water is important for meat tenderness and most important, temp regulation. If your bullet smoker has a water pan, use it. It's there for a reason. The other stuff is all personal taste. I like adding fruit juice to the water, but you may find just plain water to work fine for you.as a general rule, I use one mesquite/oak for every apple/cherry etc. it gives me the best flavor.

Great Expectations
08-05-2012, 09:54 PM

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/02/pork-pork-shoulder-butt-picnic.html?m=1

You will want to bookmark that site; the peeps who eat your food will thank me.

Great Expectations
08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I have a water pan in mine directly below the meat. The reason I put water in it is so the drippings won't burn and create an undesirable smoke flavor.

gblowfish
08-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Here's a link, this guy says he just uses water:
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/what_goes_in_the_water_pan.html

jspchief
08-06-2012, 08:34 AM
To me, a water pan is about maintaining moisture.

If I want to add some flavor with juice, I would put it inside the foil during a stage when I wrap the meat.

HemiEd
08-06-2012, 09:48 AM
When I used a bullit smoker, it was impossible to regulate the temperature without water in the pan. If it ran out of water, it would usually ruin the meat if not corrected quick enough. .

tooge
08-06-2012, 11:04 AM
glad to have another bbq'er on board. skip the mesquite with the pork tho. Go cherry or apple

lewdog
08-06-2012, 05:38 PM
glad to have another bbq'er on board. skip the mesquite with the pork tho. Go cherry or apple

Thanks man, trying to learn! Came out well considering I have a pretty cheap vertical smoker.

What are your recommendations for woods to use with what meat? I just didn't want to buy a ton of wood and Mesquite was the only one that came in a economical bulk size for not a ton of cash. Wondering where most of you get the wood you use? I got my bag of mesquite at home depot.

3rd&48ers
08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
hickory for pork is what we use mmmmm mmmm good

BigRedChief
glad to have another bbq'er on board. skip the mesquite with the pork tho. Go cherry or applethis time I went hickory/apple/hickory/cherry

Flachief58
Thanks man, trying to learn! Came out well considering I have a pretty cheap vertical smoker.

What are your recommendations for woods to use with what meat? I just didn't want to buy a ton of wood and Mesquite was the only one that came in a economical bulk size for not a ton of cash. Wondering where most of you get the wood you use? I got my bag of mesquite at home depot.

Fruit woods are great for pork, chicken and turkey. Hickory & mesquite for beef, although I like to mix woods for additional deapth of flavor

lewdog
08-06-2012, 05:58 PM
All right, good tips. Is there a smoking thread I should be posting this stuff in or should we just make this the official smoking thread?

JASONSAUTO
08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
All right, good tips. Is there a smoking thread I should be posting this stuff in or should we just make this the official smoking thread?

Just don't smoke meats while on vacation and post those pics and you will be ok
Posted via Mobile Device

lewdog
08-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Just don't smoke meats while on vacation and post those pics and you will be ok
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL

I posted a pic but I wasn't on vacation. Will I be ok?

crispystl420
08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
I smoked a rack of ribs on this bad boy (using the pan with about 50/50 water and apple juice) for about 7 hours on about 220 and it was damn good. A little bit of a pain in the ass but damn good.

JASONSAUTO
08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
ROFL

I posted a pic but I wasn't on vacation. Will I be ok?

I think so. be careful though this is important stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flachief58
08-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Pork loin with home made bbq sauce smoked with apple wood

lewdog
08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Pork loin with home made bbq sauce smoked with apple wood

Nice man. Any specific temperature you got that thing up to?

Flachief58
08-21-2012, 05:14 PM
160. I smoked it at 250 in a foil boat to keep it moist. This one took 1 hr 45 min and I glazed it at 1 hr. Let it rest for 1/2 hr after cooking.

SLAG
08-21-2012, 11:38 PM
I wish I would have seen this thread before

I picked up a Brinkmann Gourmet Back in March
I've only used it to Smoke once - (Grill many times)

I have only made one Mod so far and that was adding temp gauges at rack level

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7263/7554565580_816e4937fa_b.jpg

Here is the bad boy in action

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7269/7554565542_15c7ffce66_b.jpg

Here is my brisket
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8283/7554565462_8f795920f3_b.jpg

Here are my burnt Ends

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8153/7554565432_070f9be786_b.jpg

I'd like to smoke again soon

Thinking about doing another brisket and a Pork Butt this time

Predarat
08-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Dayum, I am hungry.

tooge
08-22-2012, 08:30 AM
I'd stick to cherry, apple, pecan, and maybe just a little bit of hickory with pork. With beef, go hickory and just a little mesquite if you like it, and cherry is good there too. With chicken, pecan is great, cherry is also great. Here is something you should try too, fish. These are some trout I caught, gutten, brined, and smoked in apple. They were killer and I used some with cream cheese and green onions in a smoked trout dip/spread. Salmon would be the same as the trout, and the nice thing is, the fish only takes about 3 hours max to cook.

Flachief58
08-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Today's menu is stuffed portabellos, Chicken legs baked potatos and mixed veggies. My wife is a lucky woman :)

gblowfish
08-22-2012, 09:10 AM

This is what my BBQ pal Mr. Doggity recommends about woods:

"Today's smoking & grilling tip - What kind of wood for what kind of meat? This is another very common question, and again, the answer is, "depends"! The best all-around performer for most situations is oak. I like Missouri white oak, but others prefer red oak. Oak lasts long, produces good smoke, with a medium flavor. Ash and Beech are also good. I love fruitwoods, like apple, peach and pear. Nut woods like hickory, pecan and walnut are fine, in moderation, but can make meat bitter if over-used, and are best on pork and beef. I love alder and cedar for fish and poultry. One wood I use very sparingly is mesquite. It is very strong, and often too bitter. If I use it, I mix it with oak to tone it down.
Try unconventional things like corn cobs, pecan shells, and grape vines. Also pouches of herbs, citrus peels and even tea leaves add another dimension to your smoke. Get creative!"

Flachief58
08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I'd stick to cherry, apple, pecan, and maybe just a little bit of hickory with pork. With beef, go hickory and just a little mesquite if you like it, and cherry is good there too. With chicken, pecan is great, cherry is also great. Here is something you should try too, fish. These are some trout I caught, gutten, brined, and smoked in apple. They were killer and I used some with cream cheese and green onions in a smoked trout dip/spread. Salmon would be the same as the trout, and the nice thing is, the fish only takes about 3 hours max to cook.

:clap: The fish looks awesome

lewdog
08-22-2012, 10:29 PM
I wish I would have seen this thread before

I picked up a Brinkmann Gourmet Back in March
I've only used it to Smoke once - (Grill many times)

I have only made one Mod so far and that was adding temp gauges at rack level

Thinking about doing another brisket and a Pork Butt this time

I just picked up the same smoker! Only thing that stinks is that it doesn't have any airflow adjusters. Although it turned out a great pork butt for me and it holds a nice temperature even without the airflow adjusters, although it takes a little more attending to because of it.

I want to try brisket but heard that is a rather tough one to turn out well for beginner smokers.

SLAG
08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I just picked up the same smoker! Only thing that stinks is that it doesn't have any airflow adjusters. Although it turned out a great pork butt for me and it holds a nice temperature even without the airflow adjusters, although it takes a little more attending to because of it.

I want to try brisket but heard that is a rather tough one to turn out well for beginner smokers.

Awesome -
Here is the best Mod's Page I've seen for our smoker

http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

I want to add the vents and the Rope around the lid - I think those are next on my list.

I had heard that brisket was hard - and I think from my experience Smoking Meats is hard - but fun - Its way more labor intensive than I had thought.

My Wife's uncle really got me into two things - Scotch and Smoking Meat

here is his Smoker :

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4154/4947064479_f90364472b_b.jpg

and some of that meat

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4090/4947656062_d97b223a7b_b.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4149/4947658040_f8d3808a20_b.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4110/4947660648_b5f2f19805_b.jpg

Flachief58
08-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Pork roast today. Injected with apple juice, honey and dry rub. Glazed with my home made sauce.

GloryDayz
08-26-2012, 06:53 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/46c30105-c4fa-b30c.jpg

Two layers deep and almost ready!!!

GloryDayz
08-26-2012, 07:22 PM

OMG!!! They were SOOOOOOOO good!!! I STG, I could eat ribs every day!

OK CP...if Matthew and I make it to a tailgate this year, maybe this is they year we add the younger man to the Arrowhead experience (NO WIFE!!!!! please!!!), these new ribs are so on the menu! Luv and her crew can do their magic, I'll put these into the kitty!

Flachief58
08-26-2012, 07:38 PM
They look good! Recipe?

GloryDayz
08-26-2012, 07:57 PM
They look good! Recipe?

Simple.... (I'm lazy these days, so I use an electric Brinkman bullet!!)

1) Remove membrane (if you don't know, Google it!)
2) Rub of your flavor/heat on both sides
3) Regular mustard (no skimping) on both sides (the MOST important step!!)
4) 2 hours at 225ish degrees in the smoking Brinkman. (I like a little moisture too, so I add one inch of merlot to the water pan - water will do too!)

5) Add a little more rub
6) Place U-down on foil
7) Add some apple juice
8) 1.5 - 2 more hours on the smoker at 225

9) Remove foil
10) Put back on 225 smoker "U" up (careful, they could fall off the bone!!)
11) Add a touch more rub to the ribs
12) Add a light layer of honey (like I do like when I snapped the pic!!), or BBQ sauce ouf your choice and close the smoker.
13) 15-20 minuter later they're ready to eat!

Nothing stupid, just GD good ribs.... I've competed them for years and these are as good as any I've ever done. And they're simple...

lewdog
08-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Nevermind....you posted the recipe.

Those look awesome. Will use some of your tips next time....I haven't done ribs yet. New to smoking.

Flachief58
08-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Never tried the mustard, sounds like maybe I should. Other than that and the honey at the end, I pretty much do them the same as you do with damn good results.

lewdog
08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Never tried the mustard, sounds like maybe I should. Other than that and the honey at the end, I pretty much do them the same as you do with damn good results.

What do you put in your homemade glaze?

Flachief58
08-26-2012, 08:59 PM
16oz tomato sauce
16oz ketchup
12oz chili sauce
1c apple cider vinegar
1c brown sugar
1c corn syrup
1/2c honey
1tbs worcestrshire
1tbs soy sauce
1/2c dry rub
1tbs hot sauce

simmer for 1/2hr

It makes a lot so, I usually make 1/2 a batch at a time unless I plan on cooking for a lot of people

GloryDayz
08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
16oz tomato sauce
16oz ketchup
12oz chili sauce
1c apple cider vinegar
1c brown sugar
1c corn syrup
1/2c honey
1tbs worcestrshire
1tbs soy sauce
1/2c dry rub
1tbs hot sauce

simmer for 1/2hr

It makes a lot so, I usually make 1/2 a batch at a time unless I plan on cooking for a lot of people

Printed.. Mind if I steal most of it for a try?

Flachief58
08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Be my guest. That's what this thread is all about

lewdog
08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Learning a ton in this thread. Thanks guys!

My birthday weekend is coming up this weekend and I think I am gonna smoke myself some ribs. Haven't done those on the smoker yet. Gonna use tips from both of you and see how it goes!

Flachief58
08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I'll expect pics. Happy Birthday

GloryDayz
08-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Yup... Pics, or they didn't happen!!!

GloryDayz
08-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Printed.. Mind if I steal most of it for a try?

Deal... Seems light on the Soy sauce and the WS sauce, but I won't mess with it until then..

Flachief58
08-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah, as with anything, you have to make it to taste. It has a really good balance of sweet, salt and heat for me. I wont sue you for making changes though :)

lewdog
08-26-2012, 10:32 PM
So pork or beef ribs is the question????

jspchief
08-26-2012, 11:37 PM

Pork. Baby back (loin back).

GloryDayz
08-26-2012, 11:40 PM

Agreed....Pork. Beef are just about pointless IMO!

Flachief58
08-27-2012, 05:20 AM
This, pork loin ribs are the best. I cook spare ribs for larger get togethers mainly because they're easier on the wallet

gblowfish
08-27-2012, 08:59 AM
One thing I've learned is, Kosher Salt is bad ass salt. It's much better in dry rubs than table salt, but a little goes a long way. So you don't need near as much. Must have salt in your rub.

KCUnited
08-27-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't add salt to my rubs, I salt the meat prior to adding the rub to create a pellicle layer, then I add the rub. I think it helps adhere the rub and if I want to use more rub later I don't have to worry about over salting. Several ways to skin a cat though.

GloryDayz
08-27-2012, 12:23 PM
One thing I've learned is, Kosher Salt is bad ass salt. It's much better in dry rubs than table salt, but a little goes a long way. So you don't need near as much. Must have salt in your rub.

Indeed....

Luke Warm
08-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm not bbq saavy AT ALL. I don't even own a grill. My question is this....is there a way to cook ribs in the oven that will taste as/almost as good as on the grill or smoker or pit or whatever?

tooge
08-27-2012, 02:00 PM
16oz tomato sauce
16oz ketchup
12oz chili sauce
1c apple cider vinegar
1c brown sugar
1c corn syrup
1/2c honey
1tbs worcestrshire
1tbs soy sauce
1/2c dry rub
1tbs hot sauce

simmer for 1/2hr

this is almost identical to mine, but I use sorgum mollasses instead of corn syrup and honey, and I put a tad bit of yellow mustard in my suace

tooge
08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm not bbq saavy AT ALL. I don't even own a grill. My question is this....is there a way to cook ribs in the oven that will taste as/almost as good as on the grill or smoker or pit or whatever?

Try this. Demembrane the ribs. Coat liberally with rub. Place in middle rack for about three hours at 275 degrees. Place them in foil with a spritz of apple juice and cook another half hour. Remove from the oven, glaze with sauce of your choice, set oven to broil at 400. Remove ribs in about 15 minutes or when they are starting to get just a hint of char on them. If you add a little liquid smoke to your glaze, you can get some of that smoked flavor, but just be very careful not to overdo it. Most people wouldn't know the difference if you make em this way

tooge
08-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Agreed....Pork. Beef are just about pointless IMO!

I agree that pork ribs are killer, but some good beef shortribs bbqed very low and slow will actually knock your socks off. Think eating burnt ends off the point of a brisket right off the bone. They take longer but they are always a hit when I do them. People just like beef! Stay away from sweet rubs with them, and use a more savory sauce as well (reduced red wine, butter, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper). Plus, they are usually pretty cheap.

Luke Warm
08-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Try this. Demembrane the ribs. Coat liberally with rub. Place in middle rack for about three hours at 275 degrees. Place them in foil with a spritz of apple juice and cook another half hour. Remove from the oven, glaze with sauce of your choice, set oven to broil at 400. Remove ribs in about 15 minutes or when they are starting to get just a hint of char on them. If you add a little liquid smoke to your glaze, you can get some of that smoked flavor, but just be very careful not to overdo it. Most people wouldn't know the difference if you make em this way

Awesome. Thanks man.

GloryDayz
08-27-2012, 03:08 PM
I agree that pork ribs are killer, but some good beef shortribs bbqed very low and slow will actually knock your socks off. Think eating burnt ends off the point of a brisket right off the bone. They take longer but they are always a hit when I do them. People just like beef! Stay away from sweet rubs with them, and use a more savory sauce as well (reduced red wine, butter, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper). Plus, they are usually pretty cheap.

Like an Australian Cisco TAC engineer once told me YEARS ago....(I'll) 'give it a go mate'...

GloryDayz
08-27-2012, 03:18 PM

I do this on rainy days sometimes. I'll just add that I place then on a wire rack, in a 13x9 jelly roll pan. I go with 225 and I place red wine or apple juice in the pan (not touching the ribs).

I go another hour to 90 minuted in the foil too.

A slight difference on the broil part is that I start with just a slight coat of butter at first, then I go with more rub and honey (or BBQ sauce) after that. Takes the "hint of char" part out of the mix, but you'll know.

Hey, do rib every weekend, there's a million good ways to go...

Flachief58
08-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Hey, do rib every weekend, there's a million good ways to go...

This, practice makes perfect I fire up my smoker at least 3 times a week. I'd put my pork and poultry up against any back yard grillmaster. Still working on making that perfect brisket though. Don't be afraid to try new recipes and methods until you find something you like. There is a lot of good info on the web too.

Luke Warm
08-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Noted, thanks guys.

GloryDayz
08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
This, practice makes perfect I fire up my smoker at least 3 times a week. I'd put my pork and poultry up against any back yard grillmaster. Still working on making that perfect brisket though. Don't be afraid to try new recipes and methods until you find something you like. There is a lot of good info on the web too.

I've been known to play around with brisket too.. That was a good day. I was smoking for my team's wrestling tournament... The good and bad news is that it didn't last long at all! Thank God for electric slicers.... :D

Luke Warm
08-27-2012, 07:47 PM
I've been known to play around with brisket too.. That was a good day. I was smoking for my team's wrestling tournament... The good and bad news is that it didn't last long at all! Thank God for electric slicers.... :D

Damn that looks so good.

lewdog
08-27-2012, 07:49 PM

Damn, three times a week!? It is too time intensive for me to do that while working but props to you man.

GloryDayz
08-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Damn, three times a week!? It is too time intensive for me to do that while working but props to you man.

And you can't have too many grills and smokers... Everything from the bobber hibachi for grilling flank steak (yeah, you want the coals hot and close!), to a side-fired smoker, to and electric bullet, to a charcoal bullet, to a weber, to a two-sided gas/charcoal grill. Yeah, you DO need them all!

Tell her.....:cuss:

jspchief
08-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Do you keep a journal?

I'm thinking of starting to journal the things I do so I have a good record of what worked and what didn't. I've been trying new rubs, cooking methods, etc. so often, I kind of lose track of the changes that I liked versus the one I didn't.

KCUnited
08-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Do you keep a journal?

I'm thinking of starting to journal the things I do so I have a good record of what worked and what didn't. I've been trying new rubs, cooking methods, etc. so often, I kind of lose track of the changes that I liked versus the one I didn't.

I keep a cooking log. Weight of the cut, where I bought it, airflow % (vents), external temp, wood, rub blend, internal temp/time, sauce, and a final summary. Through it I've developed a base for my rubs/glazes/sauce so if I want to change something up it's an ingredient here or a profile there and not just mixing and matching.

Flachief58
08-28-2012, 03:32 AM

During the week, I limit myself to smaller cuts of meat that don't take to much time. Sundays I break out the larger cuts that take all day. I use a propane fired Brinkman vertical smoker which makes setup a lot quicker too. 15 min after lighting, I'm at temp and ready to start cooking.

Flachief58
08-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Do you keep a journal?

When I started I did, but i've settled into flavor profiles I like for most everything I cook so now it's second nature. Now I have people buying meat for me to cook for them and there are never any leftovers, that's all the conformation I need to know I'm doing it right.

KCUnited
08-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Any of you guys do any curing? I cured this pork loin for 6 days for some back bacon, smoked at 175. I enjoyed it and want look into curing some other cuts.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2361/backbacon.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/backbacon.jpg/)

tooge
08-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Any of you guys do any curing? I cured this pork loin for 6 days for some back bacon, smoked at 175. I enjoyed it and want look into curing some other cuts.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2361/backbacon.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/backbacon.jpg/)

I do a fair amount. I cure venison sausage, I cure salmon. I've not done a ham though it looks good. I made a shitload of venison sausage last fall. Probably 20 lbs. My freezer died and it all went bad. Dammit!!!! I will be making another huge batch first rainy sunday this fall.

htismaqe
08-28-2012, 07:33 AM
I do a fair amount. I cure venison sausage, I cure salmon. I've not done a ham though it looks good. I made a shitload of venison sausage last fall. Probably 20 lbs. My freezer died and it all went bad. Dammit!!!! I will be making another huge batch first rainy sunday this fall.

With Matt Cassel at QB, every Sunday this fail is going to be rainy...

htismaqe
08-28-2012, 07:35 AM
During the week, I limit myself to smaller cuts of meat that don't take to much time. Sundays I break out the larger cuts that take all day. I use a propane fired Brinkman vertical smoker which makes setup a lot quicker too. 15 min after lighting, I'm at temp and ready to start cooking.

Cheater!

http://uploads.huckshut.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/pitmasters-480x320.jpg

htismaqe
08-28-2012, 07:36 AM
And you can't have too many grills and smokers... Everything from the bobber hibachi for grilling flank steak (yeah, you want the coals hot and close!), to a side-fired smoker, to and electric bullet, to a charcoal bullet, to a weber, to a two-sided gas/charcoal grill. Yeah, you DO need them all!

Tell her.....:cuss:

I was watching DD&D last night and he was in Mississippi with some Chinese family.

They had the "grills" setup in their carport - 4 giant, gas-fired woks. Food looked absolutely incredible.

KCUnited
08-28-2012, 07:54 AM

So you shot the deer then cured it, shit that's all you had to tell Nucky. Actually, that sounds really good. I cure a fair amount of salmon as its my wifes favorite. I haven't gotten into sausage but I'd like too./sig potential. I'd also like to play around with cold smoking some cheeses.

tooge
08-28-2012, 08:11 AM
So you shot the deer then cured it, shit that's all you had to tell Nucky. Actually, that sounds really good. I cure a fair amount of salmon as its my wifes favorite. I haven't gotten into sausage but I'd like too./sig potential. I'd also like to play around with cold smoking some cheeses.

yeah, I like experimenting some. Particularly with fish and sausage recipes. I've pretty much got my ribs, butt, and brisket where I like them. The strangest thing i've heard of being smoked was a guy Phobia knew that smoked hard boiled eggs. One thing I've been wanting to try is curing and then smoking some catfish. Never know till you try i guess.

KCUnited
08-28-2012, 08:24 AM
yeah, I like experimenting some. Particularly with fish and sausage recipes. I've pretty much got my ribs, butt, and brisket where I like them. The strangest thing i've heard of being smoked was a guy Phobia knew that smoked hard boiled eggs. One thing I've been wanting to try is curing and then smoking some catfish. Never know till you try i guess.

I read about someone smoking some water and freezing it for ice cubes for their bourbon, maybe I read that here, I can't remember.

I'd like to get into some charcuterie, I got a rock wall dungeonesque basement that stays pretty cool that I can envision with hanging hams and sausages.

htismaqe
08-28-2012, 08:35 AM
I read about someone smoking some water and freezing it for ice cubes for their bourbon, maybe I read that here, I can't remember.

I'd like to get into some charcuterie, I got a rock wall dungeonesque basement that stays pretty cool that I can envision with hanging hams and sausages.

Yep, it was here. I remember reading about the ice cubes here.

Flachief58
08-28-2012, 12:33 PM

Good lord man! Did you get that thing off a brontosaur? Looks good though.

Flachief58
08-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Cheater!

http://uploads.huckshut.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/pitmasters-480x320.jpg

ROFL ROFL

I figured I'd catch hell for using propane. At least I don't use an electric model :)

lewdog
08-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Shit, by the time I get home at 5 and set any of that up, I wouldn't be eating until after 9 for something that only took 4 hours to cook!

And "real" men like me use charcoal smokers but they sure are kind of a pain in the ass!

mlyonsd
08-28-2012, 07:20 PM
And "real" men like me use charcoal smokers but they sure are kind of a pain in the ass!Yeah, the idiots.

lewdog
08-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah, the idiots.

Eh, maybe right. Always just think that charcoal makes for better flavor but I have never tried a gas/electric smoker so I can't say I know for sure.

Sure would be easier to set the temp and forget though!

GloryDayz
08-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Good lord man! Did you get that thing off a brontosaur? Looks good though.

It was six full briskets.. I had to keep rotating them. I don't lose many "discussions" about getting new smokers or grills, but when I showed her the one I needed to smoke those properly, the ******* said no!! No meat for her! So it was a trailer! So I'd need a new truck to pull it! It's for the kids man (woman!!!)!!! I've cut her off ever since, and started feeding my meat to my avatar!

Great Expectations
08-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I've been working on my brisket for a while and I doubt I'll ever fInish. A couple of tips that help me are to put olive oil instead of mustard on meat before the rub, I think it helps seal in some more moisture. Also, I don't seperate the point until the meat hits 165, at which point I also foil the flat, add rub to newly exposed portion and put a few ounces of apple juice in the foil. I then cook until it reaches 190 and pack it tightly in a cooler with the foil wrapped in towels. I lt sit for at least 2 1/2 hours and wait until theast possible moment to slice it.

I cube the point once it hits 190 and put a light BBQ sauce on it and put it in a hand made foul bowl for a few more hours at a slightly elevated temp (260 or so).

lewdog
08-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Just went to Home Depot to get some Apple and Cherry Wood chunks for the pork loin ribs I am making tomorrow. Also picked up one of those rib racks where you can place the ribs on sideways and fit more on, seems they might smoke better that way too but who knows. Any reason not to use one of those?

GloryDayz
08-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Just went to Home Depot to get some Apple and Cherry Wood chunks for the pork loin ribs I am making tomorrow. Also picked up one of those rib racks where you can place the ribs on sideways and fit more on, seems they might smoke better that way too but who knows. Any reason not to use one of those?

Have a blast doode... No matter what, have a blast and come back next week and make those better than this week!

lewdog
08-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Have a blast doode... No matter what, have a blast and come back next week and make those better than this week!

Thanks man. Just trying hard to get it right because I would hate to spend all the money on the meat and totally fuck it up!

GloryDayz
08-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks man. Just trying hard to get it right because I would hate to spend all the money on the meat and totally **** it up!

It'll happen from time to time, but you never want to get it too perect either. If you do, you might was well just die...there's nothing left to live for!

lewdog
08-31-2012, 06:14 PM
It'll happen from time to time, but you never want to get it too perect either. If you do, you might was well just die...there's nothing left to live for!

Haha I ain't striving for perfection....just something edible. Only my second time using this thing tomorrow!

lewdog
08-31-2012, 06:19 PM
And seriously this board is the only reason I ever thought about getting into smoking. Sure it is a time commitment but the striving for perfection and twists you can do to cook anything is very fun.

I will say having a rock yard like I do here in Phoenix makes things pretty easy because I can put shit anywhere and not have to worry about starting a fire. lol

GloryDayz
08-31-2012, 06:38 PM
And seriously this board is the only reason I ever thought about getting into smoking. Sure it is a time commitment but the striving for perfection and twists you can do to cook anything is very fun.

I will say having a rock yard like I do here in Phoenix makes things pretty easy because I can put shit anywhere and not have to worry about starting a fire. lol

Until today, around here, just looking at the grass might have set it on fire. Now that the remnants of Issac are making their way through, I'm sure hear all about global drenching and how mud slides will end the earth...

jspchief
08-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks man. Just trying hard to get it right because I would hate to spend all the money on the meat and totally fuck it up!

Just remember, ribs are about recognizing what "done" looks like. You can have a general idea of time, but you don't want to pull them early just because a clock says they are done.

GloryDayz
08-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Just remember, ribs are about recognizing what "done" looks like. You can have a general idea of time, but you don't want to pull them early just because a clock says they are done.

Good point. And make sure you're NOT color blind! I had ribs at a restaurant tonight...after two I just quit... The dog gets the rest! Black is black, it's not the right color for ribs! Just crazy that they didn't just say, sorry we're out! Got a burger on the way home!

lewdog
08-31-2012, 09:48 PM
16oz tomato sauce
16oz ketchup
12oz chili sauce
1c apple cider vinegar
1c brown sugar
1c corn syrup
1/2c honey
1tbs worcestrshire
1tbs soy sauce
1/2c dry rub
1tbs hot sauce

simmer for 1/2hr

So really n00b question but would I like the ribs marinate in this over night or is this something that just goes on a bit before I put them on the smoker?

mlyonsd
08-31-2012, 10:17 PM
So really n00b question but would I like the ribs marinate in this over night or is this something that just goes on a bit before I put them on the smoker?Well to me that marinade is an insane amount but whatever you do ribs should have 'something' on them at least the night before you put them on the smoker.

I put on my own dry rub the night before. Then I smoke them for 4 hours. Then only apply a small amount of sauce before putting them in foil. Then sauce them liberally when putting them on the grill for the finish. But to each their own.

jspchief
08-31-2012, 11:58 PM
So really n00b question but would I like the ribs marinate in this over night or is this something that just goes on a bit before I put them on the smoker?

I wouldn't marinated them. Just put a dry rub on and use that as a sauce/mop.

Flachief58
09-01-2012, 05:25 AM

This.

lewdog
09-01-2012, 08:42 AM

This.

Perfect. Thanks guys!

lewdog
09-01-2012, 01:23 PM
These are going on the smoker soon. Wish me luck!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/ribs.jpg

Flachief58
09-01-2012, 03:10 PM
I just finished these for my buddys FF party

lewdog
09-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Jesus those look awesome!

Made up your rib sauce and the girlfriend (who is the pickiest eater) loved it! Thanks.

Inmem58
09-01-2012, 03:21 PM

What are these can't really tell?

Shogun
09-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Bear hearts

Inmem58
09-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Bear hearts

ROFL fucking dumbass

Flachief58
09-01-2012, 03:24 PM

Chicken thighs

Inmem58
09-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Chicken thighs

Looks like they're wrapped in some kind of bacon goodness

Flachief58
09-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Nope, I do wrap breast with bacon, but that's just the skin on the thighs

lewdog
09-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Simple.... (I'm lazy these days, so I use an electric Brinkman bullet!!)

1) Remove membrane (if you don't know, Google it!)
2) Rub of your flavor/heat on both sides
3) Regular mustard (no skimping) on both sides (the MOST important step!!)
4) 2 hours at 225ish degrees in the smoking Brinkman. (I like a little moisture too, so I add one inch of merlot to the water pan - water will do too!)

5) Add a little more rub
6) Place U-down on foil
7) Add some apple juice
8) 1.5 - 2 more hours on the smoker at 225

9) Remove foil
10) Put back on 225 smoker "U" up (careful, they could fall off the bone!!)
11) Add a touch more rub to the ribs
12) Add a light layer of honey (like I do like when I snapped the pic!!), or BBQ sauce ouf your choice and close the smoker.
13) 15-20 minuter later they're ready to eat!

Nothing stupid, just GD good ribs.... I've competed them for years and these are as good as any I've ever done. And they're simple...

The two on the right are the ones I cooked using this recipe and method from GloryDayz! Dude I loved these so much, easily my favorite ribs I have ever had. Sweet and spicy all in one.

They look pretty dark because we both like some good bark but even with how done they look they just fell off the bone. I was stunned.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/ribsalldone.jpg

16oz tomato sauce
16oz ketchup
12oz chili sauce
1c apple cider vinegar
1c brown sugar
1c corn syrup
1/2c honey
1tbs worcestrshire
1tbs soy sauce
1/2c dry rub
1tbs hot sauce

simmer for 1/2hr

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/ribsonsmoker.jpg

Cooked the other four ribs on the left pan with this sauce from Flachief58. My girlfriend like these the best! These to me came out a bit too done IMO but they were still damn good. Not fall off the bone, but I don't believe all good ribs have to fall of the bone to be good. I added some sauce when served and it really provided a great flavor.

Saccopoo
09-01-2012, 09:33 PM
You one who sucks the peniss made me hungry, so I pulled some shit out of the freezer and just finished throwing them on. (Well, the butt anyway...the ribs will be going on tomorrow morning.):

GloryDayz
09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/43301b94-d8e0-169e.jpg

Bacon dressed pork tenderloin....

Saccopoo
09-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Bacon dressed pork tenderloin....

Cool. Do you have one of those vertical smokers, and how does the meat stay on the grill?

GloryDayz
09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Cool. Do you have one of those vertical smokers, and how does the meat stay on the grill?

This was indirect-grilled. Pretty simple actually. This was only a third of the tenderloin.. Olive oil, dry rubs, salt/pepper, lay bacon on top. Grilled fat side down (because the bacon was on top), and let it go for a little more than two hours. Every 20 minutes I spritzed it with apple juice and had an open can of beer over each side (where the flames were) for a little more moisture. Time's not relevant, I just grilled it until the internal temp was 175.

And gravity is what keeps the meat on the grill... :thumb:

Saccopoo
09-01-2012, 10:23 PM
This was indirect-grilled. Pretty simple actually. This was only a third of the tenderloin.. Olive oil, dry rubs, salt/pepper, lay bacon on top. Grilled fat side down (because the bacon was on top), and let it go for a little more than two hours. Every 20 minutes I spritzed it with apple juice and had an open can of beer over each side (where the flames were) for a little more moisture. Time's not relevant, I just grilled it until the internal temp was 175.

And gravity is what keeps the meat on the grill... :thumb:

I was being a smart ass about the picture orientation. I guess it didn't play well.

You took it to 175? That seems pretty high for a tenderloin.

tooge
09-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Agree with the olive oil on the meat theory. Lots of the flavor components in spices are oil
Soluble, so oil is required to get them to come out

tooge
09-01-2012, 10:38 PM
I posted this in another thread but it was good enough I thought I'd post it here. If u do a brisket, reserve the trimmed fat. Rub and smoke the meat. Half way through the smoke, lay the trimmed fat back over the brisket for the second half of the cook. It'll render and "baste" the meat. Remove it at ghe end. Ddlicious

Inmem58
09-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Bear hearts

I really hate to quote this again, but holy shit it's still funny to me.

IratePrimate
09-02-2012, 01:45 AM
If anyone was on the fence on buying the tractor supply smoker its 20 bucks off right now.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/redstone-trade-professional-bbq-charcoal-smoker-1028251?zoneMarketInfo=2-25&reqUrl=%2Fredstone-trade-professional-bbq-charcoal-smoker-1028251&langId=-1&storeId=10551&storeCity=city%2C+state&catalogId=10001&storeZip=64014&ddkey=http:LocationBasedPricingCmd

Saccopoo
09-02-2012, 01:56 AM
If anyone was on the fence on buying the tractor supply smoker its 20 bucks off right now.

I don't mean to be a Smokey Mountain elitist, but that thing looks like complete shit from a build quality perspective.

Phobia
09-02-2012, 03:35 AM
Jesus those look awesome!

Made up your rib sauce and the girlfriend (who is the pickiest eater) loved it! Thanks.

She is too. Drives me crazy. Just swallow it already.

Phobia
09-02-2012, 03:39 AM
Agree with the olive oil on the meat theory. Lots of the flavor components in spices are oil

I agree on beef. Still like the mustard on pork.

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I was being a smart ass about the picture orientation. I guess it didn't play well.

You took it to 175? That seems pretty high for a tenderloin.

LOL, I got the joke... 175 works fine in a house full of people WHO EAT SUSHI but want everything else cooked. And it's moist as all get out (with the bacon), so it's all the better... And it was AWESOME!

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Indeed on the olive oil. Just adds an awesome taste to most things...

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I agree on beef. Still like the mustard on pork.

I do at the beginning. My final glaze is usually honey, olive oil, and a dash or five of thin rub. So I still get it into pork too..

Saccopoo
09-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Just added a handful of briquettes, kicked the coals a bit, smoke popped right up for the last leg. Ribs have been on approximately 3 1/2 hours now. The beans are getting crafted as is the sauces.

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Just added a handful of briquettes, kicked the coals a bit, smoke popped right up for the last leg. Ribs have been on approximately 3 1/2 hours now. The beans are getting crafted as is the sauces.

Like!!!!!!!!

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 12:06 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/a693681c-a030-1250.jpg

Going very well....

Bill Lundberg
09-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Bunch of meat gazers here. With that in mind, I'm doing this tomorrow for a ff draft. Made it one other time and it turned out really good. Think I'll add some polish sassage as well.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Burnt-Ends

Flachief58
09-02-2012, 12:17 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/a693681c-a030-1250.jpg

Going very well....

NICE :drool:

mikeyis4dcats.
09-02-2012, 12:31 PM
you guys have pressured me into deciding to pull the bullet smoker out of the basement and go buy some loin back ribs at HyVee ($1.99/lb)

lewdog
09-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I do at the beginning. My final glaze is usually honey, olive oil, and a dash or five of thin rub. So I still get it into pork too..

I think your recommendation for a final glaze of honey was simply amazing yesterday on my ribs! I loved how that sweetness actually brought out a bit more spicy in my rub. Ultimate sweet and spicy experience.

Flachief58
09-02-2012, 12:51 PM
The two on the right are the ones I cooked using this recipe and method from GloryDayz! Dude I loved these so much, easily my favorite ribs I have ever had. Sweet and spicy all in one.

They look pretty dark because we both like some good bark but even with how done they look they just fell off the bone. I was stunned.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/ribsalldone.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/lewdog_5/ribsonsmoker.jpg

Cooked the other four ribs on the left pan with this sauce from Flachief58. My girlfriend like these the best! These to me came out a bit too done IMO but they were still damn good. Not fall off the bone, but I don't believe all good ribs have to fall of the bone to be good. I added some sauce when served and it really provided a great flavor.

It looks like you may have put too much sugar/sauce on at the beginning. I did that at the too when I first started smoking with the same results as you which is too dark for my taste. To get that great mahogany color, start with a low sugar dry rub, then when you wrap them you can add your sweetness or mop.

lewdog
09-02-2012, 12:59 PM
It looks like you may have put too much sugar/sauce on at the beginning. I did that at the too when I first started smoking with the same results as you which is too dark for my taste. To get that great mahogany color, start with a low sugar dry rub, then when you wrap them you can add your sweetness or mop.

We do like them dark but I agree, was probably too much brown sugar in my initial rub. Will definitely try your suggestion next time.

Inmem58
09-02-2012, 01:16 PM
What's the normal temperature for cooking ribs for 2 hours? 265?

Pork ribs btw

Saccopoo
09-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Back sauce is for the butt, the front sauce for the ribs.

Here are the ribs right before I sauced them.

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 01:56 PM
you guys have pressured me into deciding to pull the bullet smoker out of the basement and go buy some loin back ribs at HyVee ($1.99/lb)

Limit two per customer... The one time the wife and kids can go shopping with me!

Flachief58
09-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Back sauce is for the butt, the front sauce for the ribs.

Here are the ribs right before I sauced them.

Looking good!

mikeyis4dcats.
09-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Limit two per customer... The one time the wife and kids can go shopping with me!

buy 2 go to car, buy 2 go to car, buy 2 go to car....

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I think your recommendation for a final glaze of honey was simply amazing yesterday on my ribs! I loved how that sweetness actually brought out a bit more spicy in my rub. Ultimate sweet and spicy experience.

Well I'm glad I could help.. LOL, we ought to do a "new style" competition.. Like modern-day youth sports, there are no losers! Basically the folks I "compete" with just get together and grill. One of the guys owns a landscaping business and lives on a farm, so he invites his clients out to the farm "for the day" and we grill for them. Once the clients leave, amongst the grillers and a select few, we decide who had the best stuff. And since there's no pressure for anything but the annual beer mug (that everybody "wins"!!), there's only pride. And when pride is on the line, the clients have no idea how good the food is that they're eating. I make a flank steak and a shrimp dish along with ribs and a brisket, and I've never had any left.

We've all done the formal competitions, and they are what they are....confusing. Not that you're sure your stuff was best, you ARE SURE the folks who won didn't have the best stuff either, perhaps the biggest rig, but not the best meat.

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 02:07 PM
What's the normal temperature for cooking ribs for 2 hours? 265?

Pork ribs btw

For me, 265 would be a fast cook.. I like 225-230. If you're going 265, I'd make sure there plenty of moisture in the grill...

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 02:10 PM
buy 2 go to car, buy 2 go to car, buy 2 go to car....

Or know the folks at Hy-Vee.... But the trip to and from the car can be considered the day's cardio workout!

mikeyis4dcats.
09-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Or know the folks at Hy-Vee.... But the trip to and from the car can be considered the day's cardio workout!

yeah, given our HyVee I wouldn't expect any troubles buying more than 2....they are easy going.

Saccopoo
09-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Finished product. Now I'm off to the pool to enjoy a little sun, water, beer and BBQ. You all have a nice weekend.

GloryDayz
09-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Finished product. Now I'm off to the pool to enjoy a little sun, water, beer and BBQ. You all have a nice weekend.

Rep!!!!!!!!! Have a good one...

Flachief58
09-02-2012, 03:37 PM

Very nice, enjoy! :)

jspchief
09-02-2012, 03:46 PM
you guys have pressured me into deciding to pull the bullet smoker out of the basement and go buy some loin back ribs at HyVee ($1.99/lb)Are they the injected ones? or from the meat case?

lewdog
09-02-2012, 05:29 PM
What is the best way to "reheat" the ribs I made yesterday?

Shogun
09-02-2012, 05:33 PM

i always use the oven imo

Flachief58
09-02-2012, 05:36 PM

Wrap in foil to keep them moist & pop em in the oven

mikeyis4dcats.
09-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Are they the injected ones? or from the meat case?

cryovac Armour

Bill Lundberg
09-03-2012, 10:55 AM

Game on!

gblowfish
09-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Yesterday I did baby back ribs and turkey breast. Apple wood for the smoke. I marinated the ribs overnight in apple cider vinegar, apple juice, brown sugar salt. Turkey brined with kosher salt and sugar. Cut down on the salt in the dry rub this time, everything turned out great. I tried a Famous Dave sauce called Apricot Chipolte on the ribs. Hot, sweet, tangy, very good. Best thing for turkey is Gates original. Ribs were fall off the bone tender, turkey was moist inside and very tasty. Also smoked the bbq breans. The smoke really punches them up. All in all, a good day in the smoker.

Raiderhader
09-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I am completely experimenting today. Working with a piece of meat that I've never used before. Going to smoke which I've never done before. And I completely guessed on my marinade, one ingredient I'm already questioning but, that is what happens when you are concocting it at 4 in the morning.

I picked up a boneless pork loin ribeye roast that is a shade over 2 1/2 lbs. It is marinating in extra virgin olive oil, ground mustard, garlic pepper and oregano (the spice I'm wondering what I was thinking about). I have apple juice to apply during the cooking. And I'm using hickory chips. I have some Stubbs Hickory Bourbon BBQ sauce that I was thinking about basting the pork with towards the end of cooking. But I'm not sure now with the oregano f#ck up.

Anyway, I have no idea what in the hell I'm doing but, it is going to be fun learning. :)

gblowfish
09-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I am completely experimenting today. Working with a piece of meat that I've never used before. Going to smoke which I've never done before. And I completely guessed on my marinade, one ingredient I'm already questioning but, that is what happens when you are concocting it at 4 in the morning.

I picked up a boneless pork loin ribeye roast that is a shade over 2 1/2 lbs. It is marinating in extra virgin olive oil, ground mustard, garlic pepper and oregano (the spice I'm wondering what I was thinking about). I have apple juice to apply during the cooking. And I'm using hickory chips. I have some Stubbs Hickory Bourbon BBQ sauce that I was thinking about basting the pork with towards the end of cooking. But I'm not sure now with the oregano f#ck up.

Anyway, I have no idea what in the hell I'm doing but, it is going to be fun learning. :)

Don't over-do it with the hickory. Little dab'll do ya.

Inmem58
09-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Never use lighter fluid or liquid smoke in marinades.

Inmem58
09-03-2012, 01:28 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/04/y5adyvyr.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/04/atyzazus.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/04/ru8e7ujy.jpg

Sweet and spicy ribs. Result pictures next. It's a process

gblowfish
09-03-2012, 02:02 PM
You can use mustard as part of a rub, but I like using canola oil. The mustard can overpower the other flavors in the dry rub mix. Canola oil keeps the meat nice and moist, helps the rub adhere to the meat, and doesn't overpower the other spices. You can use canola oil, then add some dry mustard powder to your rub if you like mustard flavor. Just a thought.

Inmem58
09-03-2012, 02:13 PM
This is my first time with mustard. I can say that using olive oil on tri tip sucks. It takes the flavor away from the seasonings.

jspchief
09-03-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't use any liquid base on my ribs. I find dry rub sticks fine, and I'm not building a thick bark like on a butt or brisket.

Inmem58
09-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't use any liquid base on my ribs. I find dry rub sticks fine, and I'm not building a thick bark like on a butt or brisket.

I'm a sucker for bark. I never had mustard based ribs. Hopefully they turn out okay. I don't have a thermometer (which sucks ass) to see what temp is. Could be a fast process today

KCUnited
09-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm a sucker for bark. I never had mustard based ribs. Hopefully they turn out okay. I don't have a thermometer (which sucks ass) to see what temp is. Could be a fast process today

Toothpick or pull test, you don't need a thermometer for ribs.

jspchief
09-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Toothpick or pull test, you don't need a thermometer for ribs.Agree. Learn to test rib doneness by pulling on them.

GloryDayz
09-03-2012, 02:40 PM
I love the mustard on the ribs. And going with open moist heat at first (two hours), then wrapped in foil with apple juice (hour or so), then open again with honey (20 minutes) leads to some great ribs. I like them moist and almost fall off the bone...

Inmem58
09-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Agree. Learn to test rib doneness by pulling on them.

Like pull the bones apart? If they're not done will it dry them out?

KCUnited
09-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Like pull the bones apart? If they're not done will it dry them out?

Pull the bones, if the meat separates you're there. Or probe through the meat, if it goes through with no resistance you're there.

Inmem58
09-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Pull the bones, if the meat separates you're there. Or probe through the meat, if it goes through with no resistance you're there.

I'll give it a try within' the next hour.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/04/ajevygeq.jpg

This is what I got going on to keep them moist. Along with a light mop of Gates sweet and spicy. Not much on the mop though. More spray than mop?