ChiefsandO'sfan
06-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Ranking the AFC West linebackers
June, 18, 2012
Jun 18
11:00
AM ET
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

We continue our position-by-position divisional rankings with a solid group of linebackers:

1. Tamba Hali, Kansas City: This is a special player. He is truly one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

2. Von Miller, Denver: Miller will only improve from a stellar rookie season. He is a gem.

3. Derrick Johnson, Kansas City: An underrated player. He is an A-player.

4. D.J. Williams, Denver: Very talented, but the red flags are piling up. He needs to stay focused on the field.

5. Justin Houston, Kansas City: Iím a big fan of this second-year player. I think he and Hali will be fun to watch rush the passer.

6. Jarret Johnson, San Diego: Free agent is a very solid pro. He will help this defense.

7. Melvin Ingram, San Diego: Iím very high on this versatile rookie. I expect big things right away.

8. Donald Butler, San Diego: A very talented player. He has a real future.

9. Rolando McClain, Oakland: McClain has to make fast improvements or his Oakland career may be on the rocks.

10. Shaun Phillips, San Diego: He can help, but he may be nearing the end.

11. Aaron Curry, Oakland: He can make some big plays, but he needs to become more consistent.

12. Takeo Spikes, San Diego: Spikes is getting way up there in age, but he isnít the type of guy who you count out.

13. Philip Wheeler, Oakland: The Raiders will give this free-agent pickup a chance to prove he can be a better-than-average player.

14. Antwan Barnes, San Diego: He is limited but he has a real burst as a pass-rusher.

15. Jovan Belcher, Kansas City: A solid inside starting linebacker.

16. Joe Mays, Denver: Same here.

17. Wesley Woodyard, Denver: He will likely start if Williamsí six-game suspension sticks.

18. Brandon Siler, Kansas City: He was injured last year. He will help the Chiefs.

19. Larry English, San Diego: Make-or-break year for former No. 16 overall pick.

20. Travis Goethel, Oakland: If McClain gets suspended, heíll get a chance.

21. Nate Irving, Denver: The Broncos want to see this 2011 third-round pick push Mays.

22. Miles Burris, Oakland: He likely wonít play much early, but the rookie is a player to keep an eye on.

Claynus
06-18-2012, 10:51 AM
"This is a special player. He is truly one of the best defensive players in the NFL."

OMG. What great analysis.

Detoxing
06-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Outside of the top 5, the list gets a little screwy.

Detoxing
06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
"This is a special player. He is truly one of the best defensive players in the NFL."

......?

Claynus
06-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Just in shock that he gets paid for that tripe.

mr. tegu
06-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Three of the top 5 for us anyways for us. Great read! :clap:

Pestilence
06-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Still wish we would have drafted Melvin Ingram.

BoneKrusher
06-18-2012, 11:24 AM

yeah, it's so cut to the chase.

Two-Twenty
06-18-2012, 11:55 AM

WTF? Does everyone on CP have a journalism degree?

Claynus
06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
WTF? Does everyone on CP have a journalism degree?

I've seen more interesting things written on bleacher report.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
All Pro > Rookie that tailed off

Buckweath
06-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Still wish we would have drafted Melvin Ingram.

Instead of Dontari Poe? And where would he play? The Chiefs have a top 3 LB corps in the NFL, not sure why you would have liked to add another 1st round pick LB to our team, unless you think the guy will be Aldon Smith or Von Miller.

BigChiefFan
06-18-2012, 12:42 PM
3 in the top 5 is impressive. I can't wait until Poe commands a double-team, so these guys can clean up in the sack and loss of yards categories.

Rain Man
06-18-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm surprised that Shaun Phillips, Jovan Belcher, and Joe Mays are ranked so low. Plus, I'd rank Derrick Johnson first, meaning no offense against Tamba Hali.

I'm surprised that Von Miller is ranked so high, though I still think he's top five in spite of his end-of-season problems. I don't understand what people see in D.J. Williams, and I have no idea who Donald Butler is. Is that a red herring just to see if we're paying attention?

ThaVirus
06-18-2012, 12:45 PM

I tend to agree, but he's obviously factoring in potential. A #2 overall pick with that strong of a rookie showing is going to get some serious love.

Plus a big part of the reason he started to tail off was his hand injury. Can you imagine how hard it has to be to shed the block on a guy that weighs 80 pounds more than you while using one hand?

mcaj22
06-18-2012, 12:48 PM
DJ is definitely first. The dude can do everything well. Hali is a special pass rushing talent though.

BigCatDaddy
06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
The top 5 should all be Broncos/ Knowmo

vailpass
06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm watching with interest Denver's 6th round pick, LB Danny Trevathan from Kentucky. He was playing with the first team during nickel situations in the last OTA. Kid isn't big, not highly rated, and of course hope springs eternal for all draft picks this time of year.
Still, he was all-SEC and reports are that he is very advanced mentally for a rook.
And there may be a slot open if DJ Williams goes to prison.

Ace Gunner
06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
This is a special player.

He must be a pro. Such eloquence. Almost feels like I'm watching the player do something. Special.

Von Dumbass
06-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Jarrett Johnson should be higher, so should Joe Mays and Shaun Phillips.

vailpass
06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
He must be a pro. Such eloquence. Almost feels like I'm watching the player do something. Special.

:D

CoMoChief
06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
DJ Williams is only good in Madden. LOL he's garbage in real life.

SuperChief
06-18-2012, 02:58 PM
This is an odd compilation of "who's good now" mixed with "who's probably going to be good soon." The criteria in Billy's head is pretty dumb.

lcarus
06-18-2012, 03:56 PM
DJ Williams is only good in Madden. LOL he's garbage in real life.

I remember a couple years ago when that used to be the case for Derrick Johnson.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I tend to agree, but he's obviously factoring in potential. A #2 overall pick with that strong of a rookie showing is going to get some serious love.

Plus a big part of the reason he started to tail off was his hand injury. Can you imagine how hard it has to be to shed the block on a guy that weighs 80 pounds more than you while using one hand?

No excuses, so I'm not about to make them for Denver players. Soooo, he has potential to be an All-Pro. Fuck that, DJ already is.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Jarrett Johnson should be higher, so should Joe Mays and Shaun Phillips.

The list is garbage, but not because of those 2 bums. Phillips I agree on though.

Sorter
06-18-2012, 04:36 PM
The list is garbage, but not because of those 2 bums. Phillips I agree on though.

Definitely. Phillips is definitely in the upper LBs in the AFC West.

vailpass
06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Definitely. Phillips is definitely in the upper LBs in the AFC West.

He used to be. Maybe still is.

Chocolate Hog
06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
DJ and hali single handily won us games.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Von Dumbass
06-19-2012, 12:39 AM

Jarrett Johnson is a huge loss for the Ravens. Best run defending 3-4 OLB in the league and can rush the passer fairly decent too.

BigMeatballDave
06-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Heh. Why was Billay banned?

MagicHef
06-19-2012, 07:40 AM

DROY > Guy who finally made his first pro bowl in his sixth year