PDA

View Full Version : Education Chicago's teachers getting ready to go full retard

eazyb81
06-18-2012, 04:00 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303734204577466854161483044.html

Chicago's teacher union has announced that more than 90% of its members have voted to authorize a strike in the event that the union and school district don't agree on a new contract by next fall. The vote's not exactly something to brag about, and it helps illustrate just how out of touch the teachers union is.

Chicago public schools are running a $700 million deficit, yet the union is demanding a 30% pay raise over the next two years along with some other contractual changes that could cost up to $800 million. The city's teachers are among the most well-paid in the nation, even though its school day is the shortest of any large school district in the country. The average teacher earns about $75,000, which is 50% more than the median Chicago family income.

Even so, the public school graduation rate is just 56%, and only 28% of high school students meet or exceed state standards. Democratic Mayor Rahm Emanuel wants to extend the school day by about 90 minutes and implement a merit pay pilot program that rewards good teaching. In return, the mayor is offering teachers a 2% pay raise next year, which unions say is insufficient.

An arbitrator is expected to issue a "fact-finding" report in mid-July that could lay the groundwork for an agreement. If the parties can't settle on a new contract by mid-August, the union could call a strike. Labor leaders believe that last week's vote will give them more leverage in negotiations over the summer. However, the district could also use the vote to cast teaches as militant and uncompromising, thereby undercutting the union's public support.

AndChiefs
06-18-2012, 04:04 PM
30% pay raise sounds about right considering my annual raise this year was "postponed" (and probably wont' happen since we're almost to July already) due to the poor economy. They should be happy they're getting 2%.

Oh and that $75,000 probably doesn't include benefits. I'm sure their benefits are also better than the private sector so the income disparity is probably even more.

HonestChieffan
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Its Chicago baby. Watch Obama come out for the teachers!

mikey23545
06-18-2012, 05:17 PM
"Even so, the public school graduation rate is just 56%, and only 28% of high school students meet or exceed state standards."

Let'em strike.

Doesn't sound like they're teaching anybody anyway.

blaise
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
If I lived there I'd be thinking, "How far do I have to move outside the city to avoid paying any property taxes for these morons?"

Really, though, you couldn't pay me enough to teach at a Chicago public school. I bet they're gigantic shitholes.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-18-2012, 05:44 PM
What a bunch of shitheads.

qabbaan
06-18-2012, 05:48 PM
"We aren't going to educate your kids unless you give us a 30% raise, and continue to buy us a golden benefits package that you can't afford for yourself."

vailpass
06-18-2012, 05:49 PM
"Even so, the public school graduation rate is just 56%, and only 28% of high school students meet or exceed state standards."

Let'em strike.

Doesn't sound like they're teaching anybody anyway.

Can you imagine the students at most Chicago public high schools?

mlyonsd
06-18-2012, 05:50 PM
I see now why Obama dumped all of his previous Illinois government jobs...losing proposition when you see what's coming. If I helped build that I'd run to and not look back.

qabbaan
06-18-2012, 05:53 PM
How in the hell can the graduation rate be fifty-six ****ing percent and no one be calling for heads to roll in that city?

56%?

A city where 44% of people don't even have a high school diploma?

No wonder that place is such a cesspool of corruption and violence. Half the adults soon won't be qualified to do anything but mop floors.

We should make Chicago a city-state and build a big wall around our border with it...

Garcia Bronco
06-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Okay...you're fired. Cancel the first two weeks of school and hire new teachers from out of State.

HonestChieffan
06-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Can you imagine the students at most Chicago public high schools?

Trayvon comes to mind

Fairplay
06-18-2012, 06:17 PM
How in the hell can the graduation rate be fifty-six ****ing percent and no one be calling for heads to roll in that city?

56%?

A city where 44% of people don't even have a high school diploma?

A 30 percent pay increase for teachers will fix all that rest assured.

Bwana
06-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Go for it! There are a lot of out of work teachers, just waiting to take your place, you useless humps.

Warrior5
06-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Okay...you're fired. Cancel the first two weeks of school and hire new teachers from out of State.

This. Exactly this.

healthpellets
06-18-2012, 07:23 PM
are union members overpaid or are the rest of us underpaid?

blaise
06-18-2012, 08:00 PM

You mean Chicago or everyone?

healthpellets
06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
You mean Chicago or everyone?

in general.

blaise
06-18-2012, 08:13 PM
in general.

I'm thinking it's mostly dictated by the market and people are paid what they're worth.

Bewbies
06-18-2012, 08:17 PM

Well, in the private sector you are paid what the market will bear, there are no market forces in a union environment.

If you want to find budget problems and failing businesses, go find a union. Which is too bad, because for the most part the union workers are none of the problem.

qabbaan
06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
I was just googling, and one list had Chicago/Naperville/Joliet ranked #4 in the nation in teacher pay at the high school level. The annual mean wage is $77,340. Illinois is ranked #7 overall with the average salary for all teachers being $63,005.

So yeah, 30% seems about right...

Chiefshrink
06-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Go for it! There are a lot of out of work teachers, just waiting to take your place, you useless humps.

Yep ! You would think that they(teachers union) might take a hint from Wisconsin that "We The People" are in no mood for this entitled drama BS from unions !:mad:

BigMeatballDave
06-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Wow. I would usually side with teachers on this, but they're already making $75k and want an additional 30%?

Full retard, indeed.

jspchief
06-18-2012, 08:40 PM
There are a lot of out of work teachers, just waiting to take your place, you useless humps.

There are?

notorious
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
75K with 3+ months off.

That's the equivalent of 100K with full benefits and retirement for teaching kids.5-8 hours a day.

Go **** yourselves, Illinois Unions.

tredadda
06-18-2012, 08:54 PM
It is these stunts along with what happened in Wisconsin that are going to make people sour on unions. This will make them far less effective in the future.

Bwana
06-18-2012, 09:09 PM
There are?

Are you serious? There are A LOT of out of work (or doing something outside of teaching) teachers in my area alone. It wouldn't take long to fill the holes, it they decided to shit can them in Chitown.

jspchief
06-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Are you serious? There are A LOT of out of work (or doing something outside of teaching) teachers in my area alone. It wouldn't take long to fill the holes, it they decided to shit can them in Chitown.Teachers are always in demand in my area. I also expect they are typically in demand in districts like Chicago.

I don't suggest they are worth $100k per year, but I'm not sure there's a line of qualified people ready to step into that job either.

Bwana
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Teachers are always in demand in my area. I also expect they are typically in demand in districts like Chicago.

I don't suggest they are worth $100k per year, but I'm not sure there's a line of qualified people ready to step into that job either.

Well if they can't come to terms in Chitown, we'll likely find out.

healthpellets
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Yep ! You would think that they(teachers union) might take a hint from Wisconsin that "We The People" are in no mood for this entitled drama BS from unions !:mad:

yet, you can't deny that the group of them have much more power than any one individually.

and isn't that what most of us need in our jobs? more power?

HonestChieffan
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
My wife got a letter this week wanting to know if she wanted to re establish her teaching credentials in Illinois. All she had to do was pay the back years (over 20) and they would reissue her credentials....Talk about desperate for cash?

Chiefspants
06-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Trayvon comes to mind

What causes you to make such an assumption?

Chiefshrink
06-18-2012, 11:26 PM
yet, you can't deny that the group of them have much more power than any one individually.

Power? No. Less regs and lower taxes allowing more free market of competition and manufacturing thus more jobs are created is what's needed.

Do you feel you need more power in your job? What do you do?

Chief Faithful
06-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Interesting that Rahm wants to extend the school day by 90 minutes when private schools and especially home schooling significantly out perform public school on shorter days. Sounds like Rahm just wants more government control over the kids.

patteeu
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Power to force a raise out of an employer who is drowning in debt? Power to not only bite the hand that feeds, but to gnaw it off and start in on the arm?

Setsuna
06-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Power to force a raise out of an employer who is drowning in debt? Power to not only bite the hand that feeds, but to gnaw it off and start in on the arm?

Hey man! We all need the POWAH! Screw our benefactors! Revolution!

Velvet_Jones
06-19-2012, 03:07 PM
This reminded me of a situation I had with an employee a few years back. She continually made math errors even though she had a calculator right on her desk. She also continually bitched about how much her salary. I don’t remember what she was making at the time but it was around $14 per hour. After listening to this crap for a few weeks I finally asked her a simple question – “So me paying you more is going to make you add better? Is that what you are saying?”. She quit shortly after.

Additional salary needs to be earned based on results.

vailpass
06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
What causes you to make such an assumption?

Oh please. Like you don't see it.

blaise
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM

Right, and apparently the people of Wisconsin used their power.

Chiefspants
06-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Oh please. Like you don't see it.

Ah, so it's bigotry then, gotcha.

AustinChief
06-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Ah, so it's bigotry then, gotcha.

Nice work! You managed to work in the word of the day!

Although I'm not sure you win a prize unless you point out that COSMO is today's resident bigot.