PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eric Winston: NFLPA granted Goodell 'absolute power'

thabear04
06-19-2012, 11:03 AM
More than a few NFL players have come to the conclusion that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is simply too powerful.

Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle Eric Winston regrets the NFL Players Association didn't do more to rein in Goodell's authority over the disciplinary and appeals process when it agreed to the new collective bargaining agreement last summer. Winston pointed to Monday's disciplinary hearing, arguing the four players suspended in connection with the New Orleans Saints alleged "bounty" program face an unfair system.

"Obviously we don't want Roger Goodell having absolute power," Winston told Nate Davis of USA TODAY on Monday. "In a lot of this process, it seems like he does. It's unfortunate. It seems like he's running amok with it and deciding to do what he wants and it really doesn't matter what the evidence says. Unfortunately, we don't have an alternative option to appeal to."

Winston says the players' union last summer fought to curb Goodell's power but ultimately compromised in order to get the new CBA done.

"Just from what's been told to me, there were attempts made. And there's a tradeoff," Winston said. "To do that, we probably looked at sacrificing playing less games, so you always look at the risk and reward. And try to juggle that."

Atlanta Falcons wideout Roddy White also lashed out at the NFLPA this week, suggesting the union failed the players. Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely agrees the Commissioner's power grip was problematic, but ultimately not a "deal breaker" in negotiations toward a new CBA: "Yes, the players wish he didn't have that power," Feely said, "but it wasn't worth sacrificing (the) CBA (over)."

It's easy to forget the pressure heaped on both the players and the league to come to an agreement last summer. After hundreds of hours of negotiations and mediation, both sides inked the deal. It's clear the players -- prompted by elements of the Saints' case -- believe they compromised too much.

Micjones
06-19-2012, 11:58 AM
If Goodell weren't so hell bent with making examples out of players and tinkering with the game, his "power" wouldn't be problem.

Brock
06-19-2012, 12:01 PM
There isn't one thing about the NFL that's better because of Goodell. That guy makes David Stern look good.

Rain Man
06-19-2012, 12:28 PM
In other news, Eric Winston has been suspended for the entire 2012 season due to uniform style violations during the OTAs.

Lzen
06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
In other news, Eric Winston has been suspended for the entire 2012 season due to uniform style violations during the OTAs.

:LOL:

Okie_Apparition
06-19-2012, 12:43 PM
I'll say what you're afraid to say Winston
he's a ginger

whoman69
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
If Goodell weren't so hell bent with making examples out of players and tinkering with the game, his "power" wouldn't be problem.

There isn't one thing about the NFL that's better because of Goodell. That guy makes David Stern look good.

Paul Tagliabue totally overlooked the safety aspect his entire tenure and now the NFL is being sued. Its easy to look at the game today and say its going to continue to be the most popular sport. In the 1950s the most popular sports were baseball, boxing and horse racing. Two of those three are fighting to still be relevant. We are at the point now with football where baseball was when they had the Black Sox scandal. They hired Kennesaw Mountain Landis to step in. Otherwise Congress would have revoked their anti-trust standing and held an endless stream of hearings. That will not happen with football because Goodell is taking action.

Players will never vote to protect themselves. Even now they balk at having to wear more padding. You can say he is mucking with the game, but the game could not continue like it was. The league had to step in and make rules regarding re-inserting players after a concussion. The players would always be back the next week. It was just understood that was part of the game, just like clothesline tackles and head slaps used to be.

vailpass
06-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Paul Tagliabue totally overlooked the safety aspect his entire tenure and now the NFL is being sued. Its easy to look at the game today and say its going to continue to be the most popular sport. In the 1950s the most popular sports were baseball, boxing and horse racing. Two of those three are fighting to still be relevant. We are at the point now with football where baseball was when they had the Black Sox scandal. They hired Kennesaw Mountain Landis to step in. Otherwise Congress would have revoked their anti-trust standing and held an endless stream of hearings. That will not happen with football because Goodell is taking action.

Players will never vote to protect themselves. Even now they balk at having to wear more padding. You can say he is mucking with the game, but the game could not continue like it was. The league had to step in and make rules regarding re-inserting players after a concussion. The players would always be back the next week. It was just understood that was part of the game, just like clothesline tackles and head slaps used to be.

Good post.

WhiteWhale
06-19-2012, 03:33 PM

It's not so much about equipment.

It's more about his arbitrary conduct policy which has no standards... Goddell just fines/suspends people almost at random. He's even suspended players for NCAA infractions!

IT's about his media whoring. When he suspends players he doesn't contact the player first.. he contacts the newspapers so he can get his face on TV and in print.

It's about suspending players and not providing any evidence against them... his 'word' is all the evidence needed to uphold a suspension.

It's about how fake his 'safety' nonsense is. While he's trying to fight the concussion lawsuits he's 'fighting back' by fining the shit out of defensive players basically any time a hit injures an offensive player. It's great that after TWO YEARS he's moved on to the equipment, but that should have been the first thing he did... except that doesn't bring headlines like fining the shit out of defensive players (and only defensive players) whenever an offensive player gets hurt while being hit. Then he fights to extend the season.

Anyone who's studied concussions will tell you that it's the repeated smaller collisions that are suffered by linemen in the trenches that really cause damage. Those big hit concussions are not nearly the threat to long term health as the 'walking concussions' that offensive linemen and defensive linemen play with pretty much all season long.

The real solution is getting rid of 'hard' helmets and putting padding on the outside. I have no idea why this isn't being advocated for players in the trenches.

From what I've seen it's more about creating the illusion of him being a hero of player safety than it is actually about protecting the players.

ChiefsandO'sfan
06-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Drew Brees ‏@drewbrees

I apologize if the WMD comment offended anyone. Especially our military. There is no one I respect more than our service men and women
Expand

Drew Brees Drew Brees ‏@drewbrees

My WMD comment has nothing to do with politics or our brave military. Merely an analogy to show how media influences public perception
Expand

Drew Brees Drew Brees ‏@drewbrees

If NFL fans were told there were "weapons of mass destruction" enough times, they'd believe it. But what happens when you don't find any????

vailpass
06-19-2012, 03:53 PM
What we have here is a problem with authority. So you get what we had in New Orleans, which is the way they want it... well, they get it. I don't like it any more than you men.

whoman69
06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
It's not so much about equipment.

It's more about his arbitrary conduct policy which has no standards... Goddell just fines/suspends people almost at random. He's even suspended players for NCAA infractions!

IT's about his media whoring. When he suspends players he doesn't contact the player first.. he contacts the newspapers so he can get his face on TV and in print.

It's about suspending players and not providing any evidence against them... his 'word' is all the evidence needed to uphold a suspension.

It's about how fake his 'safety' nonsense is. While he's trying to fight the concussion lawsuits he's 'fighting back' by fining the shit out of defensive players basically any time a hit injures an offensive player. It's great that after TWO YEARS he's moved on to the equipment, but that should have been the first thing he did... except that doesn't bring headlines like fining the shit out of defensive players (and only defensive players) whenever an offensive player gets hurt while being hit. Then he fights to extend the season.

Anyone who's studied concussions will tell you that it's the repeated smaller collisions that are suffered by linemen in the trenches that really cause damage. Those big hit concussions are not nearly the threat to long term health as the 'walking concussions' that offensive linemen and defensive linemen play with pretty much all season long.

The real solution is getting rid of 'hard' helmets and putting padding on the outside. I have no idea why this isn't being advocated for players in the trenches.

From what I've seen it's more about creating the illusion of him being a hero of player safety than it is actually about protecting the players.

I would agree he does need to be more consistent in his fining. He also needs to realize that the NFL cannot help out their farm system in the NCAA by putting teeth into their regulations. He opened a can of worms on that one. I would also rather have a system where one of his assistants does the fines, like Gene Washington used to do, and he becomes a final arbiter in case of appeal.

KCBOSS1
06-19-2012, 10:23 PM
I think he's been an outstanding commissioner. I do believe that there should be a disciplinary advisory committee for the future, but to me he's been absolutely consistent. I'm an old school dude, but players' egos are out of control and they need a strong sherriff to keep them on point for their own benefit and the future of the game ultimately. Honestly, I think Pacman Jones is either dead or in prison now were it not for Goodell. The thug element of the game is not nearly as strong as it would be if the players had more control.