PDA

View Full Version : Life Should those who in our armed forces deserve entitlements?

El Jefe
06-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I am one of the Patriotic members here on CP. Those of you who know me know how many threads I have posted honoring those who served/serve our country. But I was dissappointed today in our local Speedway gas station. There was 2 Marines driving a big Military SUV vehicle and they were walking into to Speedway in full attire. I was next to them and I thanked them for serving our country to which neither replied to me, I thought they didn't hear me. So I said it again, and the one guy said "Yeah we heard you the first time". At this point I left it alone. At this time another little convoy pulled up (I would assume from the same group), they were in full garb as well. They congregate around the slushy machine and they all get one (there was maybe 10 of them).

They come up to pay for the slushies and they ask where Chris is? Chris is the manager down there, I know because I buy a big gulp almost every day, and I know the people who work there. The cashier says "Im sorry Chris isn't in today" she then tells them their total and they start going nuts. The main guy says CHRIS NEVER MAKES US PAY!!! I AM NOT PAYING!! The cashier says that she's sorry, but she cannot give the slushies away or it will come out of her pay. The Marine then says "Do you know who the F we are? We are F-ing Marines, and we protect your God damn Country Bit**". At this time the other Marines in the group started chattering and saying how ridiculous this was that they wouldn't give them drinks. The cashier says "serve If I give it to you I would have to give it to everyone else, I am not the manager and I cannot give them to you, you can either pay for them or leave them here". The Marine then says F YOU!! The cashier then says if they don't leave they will call the cops. They leave, and they refuse to pay for their slushies. Everyone in the store has the David at the Dentist "Is this real life" look on their face.

I am all for being generous to those who protect us and I try to pick up the tab for them at fast food places, or pay for their big gulps, but I was shocked to see that behavior. The sad thing was there was at least 10 of them, and not one of them would say this is ridiculous.

My question, when those who volunteer to serve our Country demand things or expect entitlements, do you think they should be able to do that? Or should they not be able to do that?

Dragonocho
06-20-2012, 12:04 PM
2 Vans in full dress attire sounds like a funeral detail. Contact the local Marine base and relate the date and location and they can probably track these D-bags down. I'm positive no Marine leader will accept that. Honorable service but the behavior you describe is intolerable.

tredadda
06-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Nope. They were being disrespectful. No one is entitled to anything from any civilian sector. If they offer it then that is on the business, but those Marines were nothing but disrespectful. This is coming from someone who has almost 10 years active duty in the Army and continues to serve.

MIAdragon
06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I find it more annoying when cops do the same thing.

BigRedChief
06-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I am one of the Patriotic members here on CP. Those of you who know me know how many threads I have posted honoring those who served/serve our country.oh yeah, youve never been in the Chiefs Planet packages for troops thread. :harumph:

bevischief
Call the base and report it. Do they have a First Shirt in the Marines? I was in the USAF so I don't know.

KCUnited
Just like the frickin fire dept acting like they own the meat section in Price Chopper every Sunday.

Rain Man
06-20-2012, 12:10 PM
I appreciate the military very much, but I get really tired of the "military worship" that we have in our society these days. It's ridiculous. It's a volunteer force. It's not like they were drafted.

I suspect this is an unpopular view, but it's overboard and it's insincere. In most cases it's just marketing and has nothing to do with patriotism or veterans. It's companies trying to make themselves look good. Just look at these: http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/2010/09/22/military-discounts/. And not a single one of them offers any discounts to market researchers, even though we're vital in ensuring that the best products and services are provided to the marketplace, which promotes and preserves our nation's capitalist economic system and produces additional consumer demand that generates tax dollars that buys all of those drones and howitzers.

loochy
06-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Nobody deserves entitlements.

Frazod
06-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah, that's pretty disgraceful. I'd think stealing slushies probably violates the Code.

Dicky McElephant
06-20-2012, 12:12 PM
If you know the manager of the store....you might want to relay what happened to him.

Count Alex's Losses
06-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Appropriate response:

"Derka derka. Muhammad Jihad. Kill the American infidels."

SCTrojan
I'm positive no Marine leader will accept that. Honorable service but the behavior you describe is intolerable.

Agreed. I don't know any leader who would tolerate even the first guy questioning having to pay.

BigRedChief
Nope. They were being disrespectful. No one is entitled to anything from any civilian sector. If they offer it then that is on the business, but those Marines were nothing but disrespectful. This is coming from someone who has almost 10 years active duty in the Army and continues to serve.It only really matters when it given as a sign of respect and thanks for service gesture.

The Chiefs Planet packages for the troops is not about jerkey and peanuts. They know that, we know that. If it was jerkey and peanuts provided by the mess hall it wouldnt mean shit. Recieving a package from fellow Americans out of respect and thanks for their service. That has meaning.

tredadda
06-20-2012, 12:15 PM
I appreciate the military very much, but I get really tired of the "military worship" that we have in our society these days. It's ridiculous. It's a volunteer force. It's not like they were drafted.

I suspect this is an unpopular view, but it's overboard and it's insincere. In most cases it's just marketing and has nothing to do with patriotism or veterans. It's companies trying to make themselves look good. Just look at these: http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/2010/09/22/military-discounts/. And not a single one of them offers any discounts to market researchers, even though we're vital in ensuring that the best products and services are provided to the marketplace, which promotes and preserves our nation's capitalist economic system and produces additional consumer demand that generates tax dollars that buys all of those drones and howitzers.

If not for the less than 1% of the country who volunteers to serve, how would the government fill it's ranks? 99% of the country had better things to do than serve. To compare the sacrifices of veterans to that of market researchers is weak at best. If a civilian company wants to extends benefits to veterans for whatever reason that is their right. If they do not, then that is also their right. For those who want the benefits of being a veteran, swing down to your local military recruiter and volunteer 3-6+ years of your life.

Old Dog
06-20-2012, 12:17 PM

+1 and this is from someone who did nearly 23 years on active duty before I retired.
I did half a dozen deployments and you know what that makes me? Someone who did his damn JOB. Just because I got up and went to work in another country doesn't make me some kind of fricking hero like some of these kids think they are.

Sorry for my bit of a rant, but this is something that bugs the hell out of me.

tredadda
06-20-2012, 12:18 PM
It only really matters when it given as a sign of respect and thanks for service gesture.

The Chiefs Planet packages for the troops is not about jerkey and peanuts. They know that, we know that. If it was jerkey and peanuts provided by the mess hall it wouldnt mean shit. Recieving a package from fellow Americans out of respect and thanks for their service. That has meaning.

I always respected those who donated to those care packages. That speaks highly for those on CP who did that even though they were under no obligation to do it. I never recieved one, but never asked, but those who did recieve them I bet were grateful.

Dayze
06-20-2012, 12:18 PM
she should've responded with "well, you'll be a Marine while sitting in jail F-stick if you don't GTFO"

Rain Man
06-20-2012, 12:21 PM
If not for the less than 1% of the country who volunteers to serve, how would the government fill it's ranks? 99% of the country had better things to do than serve. To compare the sacrifices of veterans to that of market researchers is weak at best. If a civilian company wants to extends benefits to veterans for whatever reason that is their right. If they do not, then that is also their right. For those who want the benefits of being a veteran, swing down to your local military recruiter and volunteer 3-6+ years of your life.

Don't underestimate the service that market researchers provide. If not for us, you'd be driving a black Model A and eating broccoli without cheese. All clothing would be the color of natural cotton, and your TV would have three channels featuring the local news, the national news, and I Love Lucy reruns.

Market researchers have made this country great, and by god, we deserve 10 percent off our Applebee's bill just like the military does.

Amnorix
06-20-2012, 12:22 PM

:spock:

Your joke-meter must be broken...

BigMeatballDave
06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
These guys are just assholes.

Amnorix
06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Don't underestimate the service that market researchers provide. If not for us, you'd be driving a black Model A and eating broccoli without cheese. All clothing would be the color of natural cotton, and your TV would have three channels featuring the local news, the national news, and I Love Lucy reruns.

Market researchers have made this country great, and by god, we deserve 10 percent off our Applebee's bill just like the military does.

Hint to Tredadda, this is also a joke. I can see how you could miss it though -- there's just no reason why you'd think Rain Man was trying to be funny.

Frazod
06-20-2012, 12:24 PM
+1 and this is from someone who did nearly 23 years on active duty before I retired.
I did half a dozen deployments and you know what that makes me? Someone who did his damn JOB. Just because I got up and went to work in another country doesn't make me some kind of fricking hero like some of these kids think they are.

It's also not like everybody who puts on a uniform is Captain America. All kinds of people in the service, just like anywhere else. Some are pricks. Some are really big pricks. I spent my last three years at the Great Lakes Legal Service Office involved in court-martialing lots of them, and believe me, I saw the hind end of the recruiting spectrum.

If you take some guy who was a loudmouth bullying douche before and turn him into a Marine, sometimes you just end up with a loudmouth bullying douche with a serious attitude problem and combat skills.

tredadda
06-20-2012, 12:25 PM

I don't underestimate what they do, just saying the two aren't even close to comparable. If you want a 10% discount at Applebees, contact them and state your case. If they grant it, great. If not, so be it. It is their choice. I feel the same way about everyone who offers or does not offer discounts to the military. If they offer them I take advantage of them. If they do not then I don't demand them, nor should any other veteran.

BigRedChief
06-20-2012, 12:25 PM
I appreciate the military very much, but I get really tired of the "military worship" that we have in our society these days. It's ridiculous. It's a volunteer force. It's not like they were drafted.I'm sure that part of it is the guilt from how the returning Vietnam vets were treated when they returned home. It builds upon the white guilt about Jim Crow and slavery.

tredadda
06-20-2012, 12:26 PM
:spock:

Your joke-meter must be broken...

Might be, hard to evaluate whether someone is joking or not on the internet.

Brock

ROFL:clap:

Dicky McElephant
It's also not like everybody who puts on a uniform is Captain America. All kinds of people in the service, just like anywhere else. Some are pricks. Some are really big pricks. I spent my last three years at the Great Lakes Legal Service Office involved in court-martialing lots of them, and believe me, I saw the hind end of the recruiting spectrum.

If you take some guy who was a loudmouth bullying douche before and turn him into a Marine, sometimes you just end up with a loudmouth bullying douche with a serious attitude problem and combat skills.

This.

Rain Man
Hint to Tredadda, this is also a joke.

Hey, think about it.

No military = Communists take over. Everyone wears grey, everyone drives black cars with no stereos or air conditioning, everyone eats plain foods.

No market researchers = efficiency takes over. Everyone wears grey, everyone drives black cars with no stereos or air conditioning, everyone eats plain foods.

AndChiefs
06-20-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't underestimate what they do, just saying the two aren't even close to comparable. If you want a 10% discount at Applebees, contact them and state your case. If they grant it, great. If not, so be it. It is their choice. I feel the same way about everyone who offers or does not offer discounts to the military. If they offer them I take advantage of them. If they do not then I don't demand them, nor should any other veteran.

ROFL

Deberg_1990
06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
I dont care if your the President of the United states, no title gives you the right to be a rude A-hole to others.

and yes, under normal circumstances, military members deserve every entitlement they get.

Id try and get in contact with their local unit and notify their 1st shirt or commander about their actions. (If anyone got their info??) My guess is, they wouldnt take too kindly to these dirtbags behavior. Its a bad reflection on the military as a whole. Military members are ambassadors whether they realize it or not.

Huffmeister
06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
They are not entitled to free slushies. However, they ARE entitled to free pie.

Warrior5
06-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Jefe, three questions:

1. What town did this happen in?

2. When you say "military SUV", do you mean a HWMMV, or a civilian SUV?

3. Does "full garb" mean dress uni, or fatigues?

tredadda
06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Hey, think about it.

No military = Communists take over. Everyone wears grey, everyone drives black cars with no stereos or air conditioning, everyone eats plain foods.

No market researchers = efficiency takes over. Everyone wears grey, everyone drives black cars with no stereos or air conditioning, everyone eats plain foods.

ROFL That made me laugh.

BWillie
06-20-2012, 12:36 PM
I think it's strange how much ppl worship veterans but then shit on cops. Cops are doing something similar, protecting the streets, patrolling in our own neighborhoods but ppl shit on them. But really, each of them get paid, each of them is doing their job, both putting their life on the line. Just one is worshiped, the other is not

Count Alex's Losses
06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Was his name Dennis, by any chance?

tredadda
06-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I think it's strange how much ppl worship veterans but then shit on cops. Cops are doing something similar, protecting the streets, patrolling in our own neighborhoods but ppl shit on them. But really, each of them get paid, each of them is doing their job, both putting their life on the line. Just one is worshiped, the other is not

I agree.

cdcox
Slushies? That is quite a downgrade from pie.

rred

I have the same feelings on this. Police are protecting the country right here in the country, and some wanna-be badasses and crackheads can be just as scary as a starved talaban member.

cdcox
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
They are not entitled to free slushies. However, they ARE entitled to free pie.

Dang, beat me to it.

mikey23545
06-20-2012, 12:50 PM

As opposed to apricot BMW's, I guess...

rred
06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Was his name Dennis, by any chance?

Could there be a menace in tha house?

Frazod
06-20-2012, 12:52 PM

99% of my cop experiences have involved them separating me from my money. Over the years, I've grown to resent that somewhat.

Rain Man
06-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm pondering sending this letter to Applebee's. What do you think?

Dear Mr. Applebee,

I recently became aware of 10% discount to people in the military, and applaud you for that decision. Military people protect our nation from communists and terrorists.

However, I would like to point out an omission in your policy.

Why do you offer military discounts? It’s not just to keep the communists and terrorists out of the country, because if they visited their money is still good. They would likely visit Applebee’s and enjoy your tasty Sizzling N'Awlins Skillet just as much as capitalists and non-terrorists. (Well, maybe not terrorists since the Sizzling N’Awlins Skillet contains pork, but you get my drift.)

I suspect that the real reason that for military discounts is not to keep communists and terrorists out, but rather to maintain our great American lifestyle. If communists and terrorists ran the U.S., we wouldn’t have Sizzling N’Awlins Skillets. We’d be driving boxy black cars and wearing drab grey clothes and our Raisin Bran would just be bran.

Now, I work in the field of market research. What would the U.S. be like without market research? We’d be driving boxy black cars and wearing drab grey clothes and our Raisin Bran would just be bran. And I would hazard a guess that the Sizzling N’Awlins Skillet wouldn’t exist without market research.

Clearly, market research and the military both protect us from the same fate, and therefore are equally deserving of a 10% discount. Would you please consider implementing this as an expanded policy?

tredadda
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Dear Mr. Applebee,

I recently became aware of 10% discount to people in the military, and applaud you for that decision. Military people protect our nation from communists and terrorists.

Why do you offer military discounts? It’s not just to keep the communists and terrorists out of the country, because if they visited their money is still good. They would likely visit Applebee’s and enjoy your tasty Sizzling N'Awlins Skillet just as much as capitalists and non-terrorists. (Well, maybe not terrorists since the Sizzling N’Awlins Skillet contains pork, but you get my drift.)

I suspect that the real reason that for military discounts is not to keep communists and terrorists out, but rather to maintain our great American lifestyle. If communists and terrorists ran the U.S., we wouldn’t have Sizzling N’Awlins Skillets. We’d be driving boxy black cars and wearing drab grey clothes and our Raisin Bran would just be bran.

Now, I work in the field of market research. What would the U.S. be like without market research? We’d be driving boxy black cars and wearing drab grey clothes and our Raisin Bran would just be bran. And I would hazard a guess that the Sizzling N’Awlins Skillet wouldn’t exist without market research.

Clearly, market research and the military both protect us from the same fate, and therefore are equally deserving of a 10% discount. Would you please consider implementing this as an expanded policy?

ROFL:thumb: Well done sir.

Huffmeister
06-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Slushies? That is quite a downgrade from pie.

That actually brings up a very interesting question: what if it was a pie-flavored slushie?

Amnorix
06-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Dear Mr. Applebee,

Add a coupla sentence at the end:

"If not, I understand perfectly. Unfortunately, as you might expect in this day and age, my lawyer will be in touch with you. Your failure to provide equal discounts to market researchers clearly represents discriminatory conduct sanctionable pursuant to 42 U.S.C 2000d - 2000d-7 and applicable federal regulations promulgated thereunder. Accordingly, after exhausting administrative remedies to the extent required, a class action lawsuit will be filed against Applebees on behalf of all market researchers who have patronized Applebees within the applicable statute of limitations.

Our conduct will be dictated by your actions."

Glad to help...

Amnorix
06-20-2012, 01:21 PM
ROFL:thumb: Well done sir.

Actually, now he's serious...

tredadda
06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Actually, now he's serious...

I give up. :D

Marcellus
06-20-2012, 01:39 PM
You can't let one group of douche bag Marines represent "the Military" as a whole.

I am a veteran and I can tell you just because someone served in the military doesn't mean they deserve anything necessarily, I was in the military with some total losers.

If someone serves honorably and with humility then that is something to be respected.

Now keep in mind most of the military is made up of teenagers and younger guys who frankly don't know their ass from a hole in the ground yet so they may be misguided in some ways, but that's different than what you described. Sounds like a bunch of moron douche bags to me.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 01:41 PM
If the guy who runs that store gave it away every previous trip I understand some frustration. The disrespect and f-bombs are unacceptable though. I'm guessing the NCOIC here got a few free slushies then thought he'd bring his entire squad down there not realizing that he was gonna get it shut down. Remember, most young servicemembers are still kids and stupid just like any other 19 or 20 year old kid.

I'm not defending their actions whatsoever. They should have just paid when they were asked with no disrespect at all. I loathe anybody who plays the "do you know who I am" card. Those people deserve a slushie over their head.

whoman69
06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
They sound like dirty cops.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Cops get free drinks at every convenience store I've ever frequented. Cops are great and deserve respect but it's not like they're having bombs lobbed at them or driving over IED infested roads either. I know a lot of cops and while they could work a life-threatening event at any moment, there really aren't too many of those in the grand scheme. I'm sure a cop wouldn't trade places (and paychecks) with any servicemember in a combat theater ever.

El Jefe
06-20-2012, 01:49 PM
oh yeah, youve never been in the Chiefs Planet packages for troops thread. :harumph:

Color me confused, I really must admit to not knowing anything about that. I spent a lot of cash sending out packages from our church if that's any consolation. Sorry about that man.

Old Dog
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
The military is paid better than you may remember Phil, especially during deployments.

Old Dog
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Granted I've likely been shot at (though not accurately, Thank God) a few more times than most cops and have had to fire back (or first) more than most, but to say the military isn't well paid is just false.

BigMeatballDave
06-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Typical idiotic BWillie post...

Phobia
06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
The military is paid better than you may remember Phil, especially during deployments.

I didn't think I was paid all that bad once I made Sgt. I still think full-time cops do a lot better than all but the most senior enlisted and officers.

Old Dog
06-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I didn't think I was paid all that bad once I made Sgt. I still think full-time cops do a lot better than all but the most senior enlisted and officers.

If you're talking about simply base pay, I would agree, but add in all of the other bennies (free health care, BAQ, BAS, etc) and I would bet it tips the scale well in favor of the military guys (and that's not even adding in any deployment type pay).
Police officer pay would also vary (I assume) on location but when I got out I applied for a job as a police officer in a town near where I live (population approximately 25,000) but when they offered the job, the money just wasn't there.

-King-
06-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Um...no.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old Dog
06-20-2012, 02:28 PM
A quick search says that the average salary for a policeman is 42K.
A E-3 with 1 year of service will fall shy of that, bringing in 36,500 figuring his base pay of 21K, BAS of 4.5K, and BAH of 11K (I used Ft Leavenworth as it's the nearest base to KC).
I believe that if you add in medical care it tips the scales a bit, but I admittedly don't know what the average family pays for all inclusive medical insurance.
Add in deployment type pays and it is way on the side of the servicemember though.

If I would have gone with a E-4 it probably would have helped my side of the conversation a bit more :(

Phobia
06-20-2012, 02:42 PM
You didn't add in the free slurpies.

luv
06-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Typical idiotic BWillie post...

I tend to agree with him on this one.

Veterans gets judged by the good ones, and cops get judged by the bad ones. Or maybe it's that cops affect us more directly. Who knows. Either way, I think the service is similar.

In case of the OP, I'd say assholes are assholes, regardless of uniform.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Veterans gets judged by the good ones, and cops get judged by the bad ones. Or maybe it's that cops affect us more directly.
Yeah, cops have thankless jobs for the most part - especially traffic cops.

Who knows. Either way, I think the service is similar.
Similar, yes. Especially during times of peace. But unless you're working an inner-city beat getting shot at a couple times a week and in fear for your life on a daily basis, it doesn't really compare to an actual combat veteran. Most cops don't even unholster their weapon much less discharge it.

There is no doubt about that. But it's especially disappointing when it's a jarhead because I know for a fact that they're taught differently.

morphius
06-20-2012, 02:57 PM
99% of my cop experiences have involved them separating me from my money. Over the years, I've grown to resent that somewhat.
That is what it comes down to, most people think of cops as the ones who pull them over on a rolling stop with no traffic, or pulling them over for speeding, parking ticket, and then making everybody else late because all the traffic has come to a stop to get around you. In the grand scheme of things most people don't look at those as fighting crime.

stevieray
06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
....you join to serve, not to be served.

IMO...any soldier worth their weight isn't looking for accolades or pats on the back...your duty speaks for itself, it doesn't look nor need any vanities for validation.

CoMoChief
06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
I would told them to GTFO of the store.

Frazod
06-20-2012, 02:59 PM
That is what it comes down to, most people think of cops as the ones who pull them over on a rolling stop with no traffic, or pulling them over for speeding, parking ticket, and then making everybody else late because all the traffic has come to a stop to get around you. In the grand scheme of things most people don't look at those as fighting crime.

From my standpoint, it IS crime.

KCUnited
06-20-2012, 03:00 PM
For the most part, our armed forces aren't policing their own people. Once people start getting inconvenienced by the Army during their day to day, they'll start feel the same way about them as they do cops.

Dragonocho
06-20-2012, 03:04 PM

IMO...any soldier worth their weight isn't looking for accolades or pats on the back...your duty speaks for itself, it doesn't look nor need any vanities for validation.

:clap:Well said.

Frazod
06-20-2012, 03:04 PM
For the most part, our armed forces aren't policing their own people. Once people start getting inconvenienced by the Army during their day to day, they'll start feel the same way about them as they do cops.

The shitbag civilians living around (and off of) military bases definitely already feel that way. I'll never forget how poorly I was treated when I lived in Norfolk.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 03:05 PM

Oh, they do in the USMC. If these guys' First Sergeant and/or Company Commander get a report and names on these guys they'll all be paying a lot more than the price of a slurpie.

BigMeatballDave
06-20-2012, 03:07 PM
I tend to agree with him on this one.

Veterans gets judged by the good ones, and cops get judged by the bad ones. Or maybe it's that cops affect us more directly. Who knows. Either way, I think the service is similar.

I'm quite aware that some cops have dangerous jobs. It depends greatly on their location. Comparing a cop that works in suburbia to a soldier in Iraq is idiotic.

Rausch
06-20-2012, 03:07 PM
My question, when those who volunteer to serve our Country demand things or expect entitlements, do you think they should be able to do that? Or should they not be able to do that?

I've never served but I come from a family that has a long history in the military.

What I do know is that what you get isn't equal to what you give.

Now more than ever.

KCUnited
06-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Oh, they do in the USMC. If these guys' First Sergeant and/or Company Commander get a report and names on these guys they'll all be paying a lot more than the price of a slurpie.

Yeah, I was speaking more of the difference in public perception between cops and military. Poorly written on my part.

Lzen
06-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Appropriate response:

"Derka derka. Muhammad Jihad. Kill the American infidels."

America! !@#$ yeah!

El Jefe
06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Jefe, three questions:

1. What town did this happen in?

2. When you say "military SUV", do you mean a HWMMV, or a civilian SUV?

3. Does "full garb" mean dress uni, or fatigues?

It happened in Columbus. It was a camo truck. Fatigues is what they wore.

Warrior5
06-20-2012, 03:55 PM
It happened in Columbus. It was a camo truck. Fatigues is what they wore.

Thanks, that helps. Sounds like a Marine Reserve unit (not recruiters or funeral detail). Should be able to narrow the possibilities down considerably.

tmw4h5
06-20-2012, 04:08 PM
It's a job. They're not volunteers. They're getting paid. It's their choice.
I don't see any reason for them to get special discounts/benefits based on their career choice.

morphius
06-20-2012, 04:10 PM
From my standpoint, it IS crime.
LOL! There is that too. I'm actually one of the asses who actually comes to a complete stop at stop signs, just don't figure it is worth the ticket to get caught. Now someone explain why we couldn't have 4 way yield signs...

LVNHACK
06-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Deserve sure.....Demand, Expect..?..Hell to the fuck no

Pull the.... Do you know who I am card...?

Yeah I know, you're a fucking pouge go pound sand....

Phobia
06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Marines aren't even allowed to wear fatigues in a convenience store. You're absolutely certain it was Marines?

chefsos
06-20-2012, 04:23 PM
This wouldn't have been an issue if you and the girl behind the counter were grizzlies.

Saulbadguy
06-20-2012, 04:24 PM
They should only get entitlements if they undergo random drug tests.

LVNHACK
06-20-2012, 04:24 PM
The shitbag civilians living around (and off of) military bases definitely already feel that way. I'll never forget how poorly I was treated when I lived in Norfolk.

Dogs & Sailors keep off the grass...?

whoman69
06-20-2012, 04:30 PM
They should only get entitlements if they undergo random drug tests.

Uhm, they do undergo random drug tests.

Bump
06-20-2012, 04:35 PM
wow what a bunch of assholes. Report them, their drill sergeant would probably give them a solid punishment for that shit.

tredadda
06-20-2012, 04:36 PM
wow what a bunch of assholes. Report them, their drill sergeant would probably give them a solid punishment for that shit.

?????????????????/

Rain Man
06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
This wouldn't have been an issue if you and the girl behind the counter were grizzlies.

This is a good point.

BigMeatballDave
06-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Marines aren't even allowed to wear fatigues in a convenience store. You're absolutely certain it was Marines?

Seriously?

I guess the Air Force is a bit more lax on their rules.

I live right next to Wright-Patt AFB.

I see Airmen in fatigues around here quite a bit.

Bump
06-20-2012, 05:23 PM
?????????????????/

????

Phobia
06-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Seriously?

I guess the Air Force is a bit more lax on their rules.

I live right next to Wright-Patt AFB.

I see Airmen in fatigues around here quite a bit.

It's been 17 years since I was active duty but yeah, just looked it up: http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/PAGES/07%20ALMARS.htm

demonhero
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM

LOL, find me some Marines that aren't loudmouth bullies. Kinda goes along with our branch. The ones that get court-martialed are just fucktards.

BWillie
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
I've been looking at some statistics as far as what is more dangerous, being a police officer or being active in the military. Obviously those in the Marines and on the front lines have a much higher fatality rate probably, but it was interesting to see that overall fatality rates actually seemed to show police officers had a higher fatality rate. Even more astounding was that being an African American male age 20-34 in Philadelphia was higher than both. That was just a quick glance at some most likely imperfect statistics from some periodicals but just found that interesting.

Rain Man
06-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I've been looking at some statistics as far as what is more dangerous, being a police officer or being active in the military. Obviously those in the Marines and on the front lines have a much higher fatality rate probably, but it was interesting to see that overall fatality rates actually seemed to show police officers had a higher fatality rate. Even more astounding was that being an African American male age 20-34 in Philadelphia was higher than both. That was just a quick glance at some most likely imperfect statistics from some periodicals but just found that interesting.

Interesting stuff. You're right in that it may have to do with the fact that only a small proportion of Marines (or any military branch) are actually front line, shooting troops. Though actually, I would think the same is true of police, so you'd think it would cancel out to some extent.

Related to the Philadelphia thing, I remember reading once that the average lifespan of a man in the Bronx was lower than that of many third-world countries. Life is scary sometimes.

CrazyPhuD
06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
It's been 17 years since I was active duty but yeah, just looked it up: http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/PAGES/07%20ALMARS.htm

Maybe they were suffering from a Slurpee emergency? That could explain the attitude too!

demonhero
06-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Please don't report these Marines.... I don't want to sit for a 4 hour lecture about how Marines aren't supposed to wear utilities outside the base. Google pulls up that Ohio has an infantry reserve regiment, but what the fuck are they doing in late June.

Frazod
06-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Dogs & Sailors keep off the grass...?

Exactly.

I'm not old enough to have been there when those fucking scumbags actually had those signs in their yards, but I served with people who remembered them.

And the people who lived there certainly conveyed that attitude, with or without signs. God I hated that fucking hellhole.

Frazod
06-20-2012, 06:20 PM
LOL, find me some Marines that aren't loudmouth bullies. Kinda goes along with our branch. The ones that get court-martialed are just fucktards.

Heh. I remember when I was in A School, there were Marines at that base as well (NTTC in Meridian - speaking of hellholes). I overheard a Marine say he was from Chillicothe, which is about 40 miles from my hometown. I said "Hey, I'm from Kirksville." I could tell that he wanted to say something to me, but he was with a couple of other jarheads who were both giving me dirty looks, and he just turned away. It was kind of sad.

Of course, Chillicothe sucks anyway. And I mentioned that to him as he was walking away. :D

BigRedChief
06-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Color me confused, I really must admit to not knowing anything about that. I spent a lot of cash sending out packages from our church if that's any consolation. Sorry about that man.Been going on for 3 years.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217140

Marcellus
06-20-2012, 08:30 PM

/Thread

Amnorix
06-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Interesting stuff. You're right in that it may have to do with the fact that only a small proportion of Marines (or any military branch) are actually front line, shooting troops. Though actually, I would think the same is true of police, so you'd think it would cancel out to some extent.

Related to the Philadelphia thing, I remember reading once that the average lifespan of a man in the Bronx was lower than that of many third-world countries. Life is scary sometimes.

The military's logistical tail is far, far more massive than any police force's. Figure it's at least 5:1, and probably more like 10:1 ratio of support troops for the front line units. Now some support units may be closer to the front line than others, though technically in a support role.

There aren't 5 or 10 cops back at the station for each cop sitting at Dunkin' Donuts, errr...I mean avidly patrolling the streets...

Easy 6
06-21-2012, 11:40 AM
2 Vans in full dress attire sounds like a funeral detail. Contact the local Marine base and relate the date and location and they can probably track these D-bags down. I'm positive no Marine leader will accept that. Honorable service but the behavior you describe is intolerable.

Definitely this, it shouldnt be too hard for the local command to figure out who these guys are, they deserve a serious mark on their records for that.

Saying they're way too full of themselves would be an understatment.

Dave Lane
06-21-2012, 11:58 AM

I agree some poor schmo that got drafted in the army and has to give up his career and family I have a lot more sympathy for them than someone who volunteered to do it. I don't have any more sympathy for them that I do for a volunteer fireman.

Dave Lane
06-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Bravo old dog exactly my sentiments although I didn't serve I've never understood the worship of it.

Rep

beach tribe
06-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Not to mention all of the young criminal offenders who are given the choice of either going to jail or joining the Army, Marines.
There is a certain breed of people who are in the military (definitely not the majority) that are ****ed up in the head. I'll never forget the three Marines who were laughing as they told me the story of how they threw a grenade into a house right after they looked in and saw a woman cooking breakfast for a small child in Iraq. He could tell I was disgusted, and he said: "hey, Bush came over the television and told them to get out of the area. Hahahahahaha"
Or the other huge Jarhead who told me that he raped an Iraqi girl AFTER she'd pissed he pants from being so scared.

Coyote
06-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Please don't report these Marines.... I don't want to sit for a 4 hour lecture about how Marines aren't supposed to wear utilities outside the base. Google pulls up that Ohio has an infantry reserve regiment, but what the **** are they doing in late June.

Point Accepted but too late. CO 24th Mar anbd CO 1/24 are aware. May or may not be their Marines.

ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE MARINE CORPS ETHICS STAND-DOWN PERIOD OF INSTRUCTION
Date Signed: 5/10/2012
MARADMIN Active Number: 258/12 2012

R 101212Z MAY 12
UNCLASSIFIED//
MARADMIN 258/12
MSGID/GENADMIN/CG EDCOM PRES MCU QUANTICO//
SUBJ/ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE MARINE CORPS ETHICS STAND-DOWN PERIOD OF INSTRUCTION//
POC/C. T. HEDLESTON/LTCOL/LEJEUNE LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE/TEL: DSN 278-4688 COMM: 703-432-4688/EMAIL: CHAD.HEDLESTON(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. SITUATION. THE COMMANDANT TASKED MARINE CORPS UNIVERSITY (MCU) TO DEVELOP A MARINE CORPS-WIDE PERIOD OF INSTRUCTION (POI) ADDRESSING ETHICAL BEHAVIOR BY MARINES. MCU DEVELOPED AND PRESENTED A DRAFT ETHICS POI AT THE 2012 RUSSELL LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE TO 125 MARINES FROM THE OPERATING FORCES FOR REVIEW AND COMMENT. THE COMMANDANT DIRECTED THIS APPROVED POI BE DELIVERED TO THE FORCE AS PART OF A LARGER MARINE CORPS-WIDE ETHICS STAND-DOWN. MCU PERSONNEL WILL DELIVER THIS POI, "DEVELOPING ETHICAL LEADERS", TO ALL O-6 AND O-5 COMMANDERS AND THEIR SENIOR ENLISTED ADVISORS. MAXIMUM ATTENDANCE AT EACH PERIOD OF INSTRUCTION SHOULD NOT EXCEED 200.
2. MISSION. BEGINNING 18 JUNE AND ENDING NO LATER THAN 29 JUNE, MCU WILL DELIVER THE CMC-APPROVED POI "DEVELOPING ETHICAL LEADERS" TO O-6 AND O-5 LEVEL COMMANDERS AND THEIR SENIOR ENLISTED ADVISORS AT MAJOR BASES AND STATIONS. COMMANDERS ARE THEN DIRECTED TO CONDUCT A ONE-DAY UNIT STAND- DOWN TO ADDRESS ETHICAL BEHAVIOR WITH THEIR MARINES. CMC WILL ESTABLISH THE DATE(S) FOR THE ETHICAL STAND-DOWN VIA SEPCOR.
3. EXECUTION
A. COMMANDER'S INTENT AND CONCEPT OF OPERATIONS
(1) COMMANDER'S INTENT:
PURPOSE: IN SUPPORT OF CMC WHITE LETTER NO. 1-12, MCU HAS DEVELOPED A CMC-APPROVED ETHICS POI TITLED "DEVELOPING ETHICAL LEADERS". MCU WILL PROVIDE INSTRUCTION ON THE ETHICS POI TO COMMANDERS (O-6 AND O-5 AND THEIR SENIOR ENLISTED ADVISORS) IN SUPPORT OF A MARINE CORPS WIDE-ETHICS STAND-DOWN. THIS POI WILL BE A "TRAIN THE TRAINER" EVENT. ALL PARTICIPANTS SHOULD VIEW THIS POI AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO ADVANCE THE ETHICAL TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OF THEMSELVES AND THEIR MARINES.
METHOD: MCU, IN COORDINATION WITH BASES/STATIONS, WILL PROVIDE INSTRUCTIONAL TEAMS TO DELIVER THE ETHICS POI TO COMMANDERS (O-6 AND O-5) AND THEIR SENIOR ENLISTED ADVISORS. BASE/STATION COMMANDERS WILL COORDINATE SEAT ALLOCATIONS/ASSIGNMENTS WITH TENANT COMMANDS. MCU INSTRUCTIONAL TEAMS WILL VISIT MAJOR BASES AND STATIONS IOT PROVIDE INSTRUCTION ON THE POI. THE POI AND THE INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL WILL PROVIDE A FRAMEWORK FOR COMMANDERS TO DISCUSS ETHICAL BEHAVIOR WITH THEIR MARINES. MCU INSTRUCTIONAL TEAMS WILL CONCLUDE ALL TRAINING NLT 29 JUNE 2012.
ENDSTATE: THIS ONE-DAY "DEVELOPING ETHICAL LEADERS" TRAIN THE TRAINER POI WILL ENABLE COMMAND LEADERSHIP TO FUNCTION AS THE PRIMARY ETHICS INSTRUCTOR FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE UNITS. IT WILL ENABLE PARTICIPANTS TO TRAIN AND EDUCATE MARINES IN ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING PROCESSES AND PROVIDE A CATALYST FOR ON-GOING DISCUSSION AND DEBATE. LEADERS WILL HAVE A DEEPENED UNDERSTANDING OF OUR ETHOS, AND BE BETTER ABLE TO RECOGNIZE AND EXPLAIN ETHICAL CHALLENGES. THIS WILL FACILITATE THE DEVELOPMENT OF A LASTING, POSITIVE ETHICAL CULTURE AND CLIMATE.
(2) CONCEPT OF OPERATIONS: BEGINNING 18 JUNE 2012, FOUR MCU INSTRUCTIONAL TEAMS, COMPRISED OF (1) MCU PROFESSOR AND (1) UNIFORMED INSTRUCTOR, WILL SIMULTANEOUSLY DELIVER THE "DEVELOPING ETHICAL LEADERS" POI AT FOUR MAJOR GEOGRAPHICAL REGIONS. MCU INSTRUCTIONAL TEAMS WILL DELIVER ONE ITERATION OF THE POI PER DAY. INSTRUCTIONAL TEAMS CANNOT BE SPLIT AND TEAMS WILL BE ABLE TO SERVICE ONLY ONE LOCATION PER TRAINING SESSION. MCU REQUESTS THAT ATTENDANCE NOT EXCEED 200 PERSONS PER INSTRUCTIONAL PERIOD. THE POI LOCATIONS/DATES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
EAST COAST (18 JUNE-29 JUNE)
18 JUNE MCAS CHERRY POINT, NC
19 JUNE MCAS NEW RIVER, NC
20-22 JUNE MCB CAMP LEJEUNE, NC
25 JUNE MCRD PARRIS ISLAND, SC
26 JUNE MCAS BEAUFORT, SC
28 JUNE MCSF NEW ORLEANS, LA
WEST COAST (18 JUNE-29 JUNE)
18-20 JUNE MCB CAMP PENDLETON, CA
21 JUNE MCAS MIRAMAR, CA
22 JUNE MCRD SAN DIEGO, CA
25 JUNE MC AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER, CA
27 JUNE MCAS YUMA, AZ
WESTERN PACIFIC (18 JUNE-29 JUNE)
18-22 JUNE MCB OKINAWA, JAPAN
25-26 JUNE MCB HAWAII, HI
NCR (19 JUNE-22 JUNE)
19-20 JUNE MCB QUANTICO, VA
21 JUNE JB FT MEYER/HENDERSON HALL
B. COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS
(1) BRIEFING LOCATION SUPPORT: BASES AND STATIONS WILL COORDINATE WITH THEIR TENANT COMMANDS IOT ENSURE THAT ADEQUATE SPACE IS AVAILABLE TO MEET THE REQUIREMENTS.
(2) AUDIO/VISUAL SUPPORT: BASES AND STATIONS WILL ENSURE THAT A COMPUTER, PROJECTOR, AND MICROPHONE SYSTEM ARE PROVIDED AND READY FOR USE BY MCU INSTRUCTIONAL TEAMS AT EACH BRIEFING LOCATION.
(3) BRIEFING TIMEFRAME: 0800-1500.
(4) BASE/STATION G-3 ARE REQUESTED TO PROVIDE INSTALLATION POC TO MCU AND TENANT COMMANDS NLT 10 DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL IOT FACILITATE SUPPORT.
(5) IN COORDINATION WITH BASE/STATION POC, COMMANDERS MAY DESIGNATE ADDITIONAL SUBORDINATE LEADERS TO ATTEND THE TRAINING ON A SPACE AVAILABLE BASIS.
(6) BASE/STATION COMMANDERS WILL COORDINATE SEAT ALLOCATIONS/ASSIGNMENTS WITH TENANT COMMANDS. MAXIMUM ATTENDANCE AT EACH PERIOD OF INSTRUCTION SHOULD NOT EXCEED 200.
4. ADMINISTRATION AND LOGISTICS
A. ADMINISTRATION. REQUEST BASES/STATIONS AND TENANT COMMANDS RESIDING AT THE LOCATIONS LISTED IN 3.A.(2) REVIEW THE TENTATIVE DATES AND ADVISE POC (LISTED IN PARA 5) OF SCHEDULING CONFLICTS NLT 30 MAY 2012. UPON CONFIRMATION OF TENTATIVE DATE(S), MCU WILL PROVIDE, VIA SEPCOR, A DETAILED VISIT SCHEDULE.
B. LOGISTICS
(1) FUNDING. MCU WILL FUND ALL TRAVEL, LODGING, AND RENTAL EXPENSES FOR MCU PERSONNEL.
(2) FACILITIES. EACH BASE/STATION AND COMMAND WILL HAVE UNIQUE REQUIREMENTS DUE TO UNIT SIZE/COMPOSITION; THEREFORE, DESIGNATED BASES/STATIONS AND COMMANDS POC MUST ENSURE THE PROPER FACILITIES ARE COORDINATED FOR ALL BRIEFS AND DISCUSSION SESSIONS.
5. COMMAND AND SIGNAL. MAXIMUM PARTICIPATION BY ALL LEVELS OF COMMAND IS ESSENTIAL. DETAILED INFORMATION FOR ACCESS TO THE MCU POI WILL BE PUBLISHED (SEPCOR). FOR ALL OTHER QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT LTCOL CHAD HEDLESTON AT CHAD.HEDLESTON(AT)USMC.MIL OR COMM: 703-432-4688 AND MAJ JASON BOGDEN AT JASON.BOGDEN(AT)USMC.MIL OR COMM 703-432-4726.
6. RESERVE APPLICABILITY. THIS MARADMIN IS APPLICABLE TO THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE.
7. RELEASE AUTHORIZED BY MAJGEN T. M. MURRAY; COMMANDING GENERAL, EDUCATION COMMAND; PRESIDENT, MARINE CORPS UNIVERSITY.//

Rain Man
06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
I find it funny that Marine memos always yell everything.

seclark
06-21-2012, 01:44 PM

i'd buy a marine a slurpy just to find out what that memo actually means. i got a headache after the 2nd line.
sec

Old Dog
06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
i'd buy a marine a slurpy just to find out what that memo actually means. i got a headache after the 2nd line.
sec

Wasn't a Marine, but in a nutshell:
The Commandant of the Marine Corps has decided that all 0-5 and 0-6 Commanders (Lt Colonels and Colonels.....generally in charge of batttalion elements which range in sizes from a few hundred to about 1,500) will go to a one day "developing ethical leaders" class by 29 June.
They will in turn train their Marines on that same topic.

Smaller nutshell and more realistic version:
Hey, don't get caught doing dumb shit and tell your troops to stop getting caught too.

Old Dog
06-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Not to mention all of the young criminal offenders who are given the choice of either going to jail or joining the Army, Marines.
I don't believe this is a common occurence today (though I could be mistaken). 15-20 years ago, it absolutely happened. In the 70s however it was a very common practice.

There is a certain breed of people who are in the military (definitely not the majority) that are ****ed up in the head.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this is aligned with a saying that just bugs me. I hear something akin to, "Boy the military sure has changed since my day" all the damn time.
It's NOT the military that has changed, IT'S SOCIETY AS A WHOLE.

Frazod
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
sec

I could translate it into readable English, but since I DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT SHIT ANYMORE, I won't.

Coyote
06-21-2012, 02:49 PM

True. Naval message format to reach ships. No idea why. Guess it beats Naval Flags:

XrayStop carrying out your intentions and watch for my signals.

tredadda
06-21-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't believe this is a common occurence today (though I could be mistaken). 15-20 years ago, it absolutely happened. In the 70s however it was a very common practice.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this is aligned with a saying that just bugs me. I hear something akin to, "Boy the military sure has changed since my day" all the damn time.
It's NOT the military that has changed, IT'S SOCIETY AS A WHOLE.

As a current Army recruiter I can say that this does not happen. A recruiter can and will lose his/her career if they advise someone on that. The "go to war or go to jail" mentality is long gone and the Army will not accept anyone who falls into that category. Also as a recruiter, I can totally agree with the second bolded statement.

demonhero
06-21-2012, 06:12 PM
There is a certain breed of people who are in the military (definitely not the majority) that are ****ed up in the head. I'll never forget the three Marines who were laughing as they told me the story of how they threw a grenade into a house right after they looked in and saw a woman cooking breakfast for a small child in Iraq. He could tell I was disgusted, and he said: "hey, Bush came over the television and told them to get out of the area. Hahahahahaha"
Or the other huge Jarhead who told me that he raped an Iraqi girl AFTER she'd pissed he pants from being so scared.

Try getting into the Marines with a record.. This isn't 20 years ago when they used the old go to jail or join deal.

Marcellus
06-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Try getting into the Marines with a record.. This isn't 20 years ago when they used the old go to jail or join deal.

Not to mention it sounded to me like he was talking to 2 guys who never left a desk but are big story tellers trying to talk tough and mean.

Gary
06-21-2012, 07:06 PM
A quick search says that the average salary for a policeman is 42K.
A E-3 with 1 year of service will fall shy of that, bringing in 36,500 figuring his base pay of 21K, BAS of 4.5K, and BAH of 11K (I used Ft Leavenworth as it's the nearest base to KC).
I believe that if you add in medical care it tips the scales a bit, but I admittedly don't know what the average family pays for all inclusive medical insurance.
Add in deployment type pays and it is way on the side of the servicemember though.

If I would have gone with a E-4 it probably would have helped my side of the conversation a bit more :(

You should see what police make in some of the corrupt cities here in Florida. In Cape Coral which is right across the river from where I live, one police sergeant retired at $77,000 base salary. Because of sweetheart deals cut between the union and city officials, that sergeant is making $122,000 in retirement pension.

boogblaster
06-21-2012, 11:47 PM
if been in active duty .. yes .....

Chocolate Hog
06-22-2012, 01:27 AM
No fuck them

midwest
06-22-2012, 01:42 AM
people like that make our military look like assholes.

Johnny Vegas
06-22-2012, 02:17 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P9NInfc7w60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dmahurin
06-22-2012, 02:28 AM
I could translate it into readable English, but since I DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT SHIT ANYMORE, I won't.

This times eleventy billion

Okie_Apparition
06-22-2012, 07:47 AM
You could stay out of jail by joining the military
Then when you ****ed that up being ex-militay
the local cop shops wanted you ROFL

Iowanian
06-22-2012, 01:14 PM
The worst part of that story is those guys are likely weekend warriors.