PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Buying older used cars

Pages : 1 [2]

Guru
06-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Just ran across a 1995 mazda miata convertable with only 62,000 miles on it for 4k. Hell, I might just get it for myself.

Bugeater
06-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Just ran across a 1995 mazda miata convertable with only 62,000 miles on it for 4k. Hell, I might just get it for myself.
:thailor:

Guru
06-24-2012, 10:03 PM
:thailor:

whatever

Bugeater
06-24-2012, 10:37 PM
whatever
Seriously, those are girl cars.

Guru
06-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Seriously, those are girl cars.

and yet everyone I have ever seen had a guy behind the wheel.

Tombstone RJ
06-24-2012, 11:08 PM

do it, the shoehorn a V8 into that bad boy!

Guru
06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
do it, the shoehorn a V8 into that bad boy!

The real question is should I let my kid buy it.

Phobia
06-24-2012, 11:53 PM
The real question is should I let my kid buy it.

Would you let him buy it if it were November instead of June? How practical is that thing in the winter? It's one thing to drive a convertible if you have other options. Tell him you'll let him buy it if he's willing to sleep in a tent in 15 degree weather.

Guru
06-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Would you let him buy it if it were November instead of June? How practical is that thing in the winter? It's one thing to drive a convertible if you have other options. Tell him you'll let him buy it if he's willing to sleep in a tent in 15 degree weather.

You bring up a good point. I've never owned a convertable so I have no idea about them in the winter. Of course, I drive such short distances anyway, the heater never really gets it hot in my newer cars. Have you owned a convertible and winter was too difficult on it?

Silock
06-25-2012, 04:04 AM
Never drive a Miata in the winter. It's abysmally bad, even with snow tires. Ask me how I know.

Bugeater
06-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Never drive a Miata in the winter. It's abysmally bad, even with snow tires. Ask me how I know.
Are they RWD?

Saulbadguy
06-25-2012, 06:16 AM
I had a convertible when I was younger. When it's below freezing, there really isn't much difference between it and a regular car.

I will say it suffered from a lot more road noise.

Silock
06-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Are they RWD?

Yes. The problem is that they are so light and balanced that it's ridiculously difficult to get traction, even with the trunk loaded with sandbags.

Guru
06-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Yes. The problem is that they are so light and balanced that it's ridiculously difficult to get traction, even with the trunk loaded with sandbags.

Yeah, I did see that they are RWD. Was hoping it wouldn't be a big issue. The other thing that crossed my mind, this one is in such good condition I would be inclined to have it in the garage over our 2009 corolla.

MIAdragon
06-25-2012, 08:09 AM
and yet everyone I have ever seen had a guy behind the wheel.

With his "life partner" right beside him.

Saulbadguy
06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I did see that they are RWD. Was hoping it wouldn't be a big issue. The other thing that crossed my mind, this one is in such good condition I would be inclined to have it in the garage over our 2009 corolla.

It's a 1995. :spock:

And yes it will suck ass in the snow/ice.

Guru
06-25-2012, 08:14 AM
With his "life partner" right beside him.

car is a car. I know most convertibles tend to have that "girlie car" stigma. Real men don't give a shit. I have pretty much seen nothing but middle aged guys driving these things.

Doesn't matter now. If it handles that bad in a little bit of snow, it is probably off the table now anyway.

Now, if I could talk the wife into it just being a summer car........

Might be time for my mid life crisis. LMAO

MIAdragon
06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
car is a car. I know most convertibles tend to have that "girlie car" stigma. Real men don't give a shit. I have pretty much seen nothing but middle aged guys driving these things.

Doesn't matter now. If it handles that bad in a little bit of snow, it is probably off the table now anyway.

Now, if I could talk the wife into it just being a summer car........

Might be time for my mid life crisis. LMAO

Just giving you a hard time. I have two friends that race them competitively.

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Love this thread, the responses are so predictable.

My eldest (39) somehow survived 2 rebuilder Neons, and my youngest (36) survived a rebuilder Sundance and rebuilder Neon.

An Illegal immigrant ran into the eldest daughters rebuilt Neon, while she was studying for her PHD down at Florida State. It was totaled and she needed wheels bad, she was desperate and all by herself.

Stupid uncaring me, I immediately got on Ebay, bought what seemed to be a nice Neon at a reputable dealer in Atlanta. She was only without wheels two days. It lasted her several years, even after graduation, until she was able to buy a new car (Civic) on her own.

How was I to know I was putting her life in danger by buying her a "wrecked Dodge?" If I would have only known.

Phobia
06-25-2012, 10:24 AM
To be fair, Neons don't really have a great reputation no matter how you feel about domestic and import automobiles. Do they?

MIAdragon
06-25-2012, 10:49 AM

My eldest (39) somehow survived 2 rebuilder Neons, and my youngest (36) survived a rebuilder Sundance and rebuilder Neon.

An Illegal immigrant ran into the eldest daughters rebuilt Neon, while she was studying for her PHD down at Florida State. It was totaled and she needed wheels bad, she was desperate and all by herself.

Stupid uncaring me, I immediately got on Ebay, bought what seemed to be a nice Neon at a reputable dealer in Atlanta. She was only without wheels two days. It lasted her several years, even after graduation, until she was able to buy a new car (Civic) on her own.

How was I to know I was putting her life in danger by buying her a "wrecked Dodge?" If I would have only known.

It was the FLOOD damage that was scary not that it was a rebuilder.

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
To be fair, Neons don't really have a great reputation no matter how you feel about domestic and import automobiles. Do they?

Once again, they do in our family Phil, the girls had great luck with them. But then again, we have only had three of them, and all were "rebuilt" crashed cars. When your bucks are short, you do the best you can do. It sounds like Guru is in a similar situation.

Saulbadguy
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Word to the wise, if you buy a Dodge Neon, an illegal immigrant will eventually run in to it and total it.

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Word to the wise, if you buy a Dodge Neon, an illegal immigrant will eventually run in to it and total it.

33 1/3% of the time.

Bearcat
06-25-2012, 12:28 PM

I don't get what you're saying. Could you try again, but this time be more passive-aggressive?

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't get what you're saying. Could you try again, but this time be more passive-aggressive?

Just responding in kind, if that works for you. I have actual experience, these posters only have opinions.

You don't want a neon as a gift.

You can buy a really nice car for 4k. You certainly don't need to settle for a wrecked dodge.

LOL @ Neon

HELL no.

Brock
06-25-2012, 12:49 PM
I didn't say anything about the safety of the car, dipshit. Sounds like your daughter turned out to be pretty smart though.

Guru
06-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Well, we are down to a
2001 Honda Civic with 109k miles for $4900
1996 Grand Am with 69k miles for $2500
1995 Mazda Miata with 64k miles for $4000
2005 Dodge Neon for under $4000 but I have no idea on the miles as we have not seen it yet.

Civic will need new belts and rear brakes by the end of the year and a timing belt within 10k miles. Most likely tires too.
Taking the Grand Am in to the mechanic tomorrow. I expect to have to change all the belts in it too. Timing as well due to the year.
Not as big of a rush on the Miata but I expect all new belts and a timing belt on it as well. Probably not practical for a teen. But he wants it. LMAO

By big thing with the Miata is the convertible top. Nothing protecting you at all in a crash. But as little as it is I don't think having a hard top would have make a world of difference anyway.

decisions.

EDIT

For fuel economy, the Honda kicks all of the others asses at 29 average combined. The others or 24mpg and under.

Bearcat
06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Just responding in kind, if that works for you. I have actual experience, these posters only have opinions.

The vast majority of what I've heard about Neons has been pretty terrible. My parents owned one and probably had more problems with that one car than any 2 or 3 they've owned since then. Of course, that's just one car, but it goes along with pretty much everything I've heard about them. Of course, it doesn't mean every Neon is a piece of junk, but there are usually reasons behind bad reputations...

Saulbadguy
06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Well, we are down to a
2005 Dodge Neon for under $4000 but I have no idea on the miles as we have not seen it yet.

Civic will need new belts and rear brakes by the end of the year and a timing belt within 10k miles. Most likely tires too.
Taking the Grand Am in to the mechanic tomorrow. I expect to have to change all the belts in it too. Timing as well due to the year.
Not as big of a rush on the Miata but I expect all new belts and a timing belt on it as well. Probably not practical for a teen. But he wants it. LMAO

By big thing with the Miata is the convertible top. Nothing protecting you at all in a crash. But as little as it is I don't think having a hard top would have make a world of difference anyway.

decisions.

I'd check to see how much it costs to ensure a teenage driver in a Miata, as well. Might be more $$$.

Guru
06-25-2012, 01:56 PM
I'd check to see how much it costs to ensure a teenage driver in a Miata, as well. Might be more $$$.

depending on what the mechanic says, I want him to go for the Grand am but he doesn't like the color and style of 90s grand ams. I talked him into at least letting me have the mechanic look at it though.

Checking on insurance now. It will be liability only so I don't expect a huge difference from the other cars.

pr_capone
06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I would pick up the Miata out of those choices. Great gas mileage and easy to work on if need be. Reliable for the most part.

stevieray
06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
buy the grand am and take the remainder and put a stereo or rims on it....rims and /or tunes will make it more palatable...not like he's going to own it forever.

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 02:03 PM
The vast majority of what I've heard about Neons has been pretty terrible. My parents owned one and probably had more problems with that one car than any 2 or 3 they've owned since then. Of course, that's just one car, but it goes along with pretty much everything I've heard about them. Of course, it doesn't mean every Neon is a piece of junk, but there are usually reasons behind bad reputations...

Well, it was their "entry level" car, and most, if not all, were made right down the road here in Belvedere, Illinois.

With the turmoil that Chrysler has gone through since about 99, I can just imagine the huge swings in employee moral. All three of the girl's cars were 99 or earlier, and that may have something to do with it.

I really posted in this thread based on this post, and felt like a positive story might be in order for all the haters:
Just curious,how many of you have actually owned a neon?

As far as I am concerned, the current Chrysler production is all Fiats or soon will be, once they roll all the models over.

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Well, we are down to a

decisions.

EDIT

For fuel economy, the Honda kicks all of the others asses at 29 average combined. The others or 24mpg and under.
I just may choke, but with those choices and prices, I would go with the Civic for a couple reasons.
1) Resale value, he may be able to clock another 70k and still get good money out of it if he doesn't destroy it, like most first cars.
2) His peers will like it better
3) It is just a better car

I would steer clear of the Miata myself.

Guru
06-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Well, it was their "entry level" car, and most, if not all, were made right down the road here in Belvedere, Illinois.

With the turmoil that Chrysler has gone through since about 99, I can just imagine the huge swings in employee moral. All three of the girl's cars were 99 or earlier, and that may have something to do with it.

I really posted in this thread based on this post, and felt like a positive story might be in order for all the haters:

As far as I am concerned, the current Chrysler production is all Fiats or soon will be, once they roll all the models over.

I'm confused how that answers my question. heh Definitely glad to hear you were happy with your neons. that helps.

Just checked on insurance and the rate will be the same no matter which car we go with since it is liability only.

Guru
06-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I just may choke, but with those choices and prices, I would go with the Civic for a couple reasons.
1) Resale value, he may be able to clock another 70k and still get good money out of it if he doesn't destroy it, like most first cars.
2) His peers will like it better
3) It is just a better car

I would steer clear of the Miata myself.

The Civic is his number 2 choice behind the miata. But, he technically can't afford either car. What he doesn't know is that we plan to pay the difference over what he doesn't have.

I'll tell ya, driving down the interstate with the top down in that mazda was just heaven.

So you don't like the Grand Am at all as an option? Seems like the best option all the way around other than gas mileage. Just my opinion of course.

DeezNutz
06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Sticking a teenage boy in a tiny ass "sports" car? Convertible no less?

Doesn't sound like a good choice...

Guru
06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
buy the grand am and take the remainder and put a stereo or rims on it....rims and /or tunes will make it more palatable...not like he's going to own it forever.

Now why would I waste money on a stereo and rims?

Guru
06-25-2012, 02:18 PM

I know. Kind of where I am. It is definitely my last choice for him. Especially since it won't be a good option on snow days at all.

Damn if I wouldn't like to have it for myself though. If only I had a place to put it during the winter.

stevieray
06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Now why would I waste money on a stereo and rims?

I already told you, Gurinch.

Guru
06-25-2012, 02:20 PM
I already told you, Gurinch.

I take the money I save and put it toward gas.

DeezNutz
06-25-2012, 02:20 PM
I know. Kind of where I am. It is definitely my last choice for him. Especially since it won't be a good option on snow days at all.

Damn if I wouldn't like to have it for myself though. If only I had a place to put it during the winter.

I'm just thinking back to some of the bullshit that my friends and I did and...damn...we're lucky to have not killed ourselves.

Young kids do stupid shit, and, from a dad's perspective, I'd like to see my own be in something that is, theoretically, a little safer.

Leave the less safe shit to dad.

stevieray
06-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I take the money I save and put it toward gas.

...that's the spirit!

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 02:22 PM
The Civic is his number 2 choice behind the miata. But, he technically can't afford either car. What he doesn't know is that we plan to pay the difference over what he doesn't have.

I'll tell ya, driving down the interstate with the top down in that mazda was just heaven.

So you don't like the Grand Am at all as an option? Seems like the best option all the way around other than gas mileage. Just my opinion of course.

Convertibles are cool, I have always really liked them and on a summer evening when it is not blistering hot, you can't beat them.

My concern is a light rear wheel drive unit with a youngster for his first car. It is limited by only being a 2 seater and as others have mentioned, insurance will probably be a killer.

I have just never been a Grand Am fan, with similar feelings that others have expressed about the Neon. Of course, lots of people have had great service from them.

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm confused how that answers my question. heh Definitely glad to hear you were happy with your neons. that helps.

Just checked on insurance and the rate will be the same no matter which car we go with since it is liability only.

Sorry, just saw this post, so forget my Insurance concerns on the Miata.

<2000 Neons just might be a better car than the 2000+, due to different ownership and employee moral issues. (I know these existed for a fact, and that has a bearing on the end product)

Nobody here has anything good to say about the later Neons that I have read. Isn't 2005 about the last year? IIRC, they cut way back on the Belvedere plant and had huge layoffs once the Neon was discontinued.

Guru
06-25-2012, 02:55 PM
...that's the spirit!ROFL

Convertibles are cool, I have always really liked them and on a summer evening when it is not blistering hot, you can't beat them.

My concern is a light rear wheel drive unit with a youngster for his first car. It is limited by only being a 2 seater and as others have mentioned, insurance will probably be a killer.

I have just never been a Grand Am fan, with similar feelings that others have expressed about the Neon. Of course, lots of people have had great service from them.

If I was going strictly on price, I would be all over the Grand Am pending the mechanical inspection tomorrow. The main thing I am worried about with the Civic is all the maintenance it will need before the end of this year. New belts, new rear brakes, possibly new tires and a new timing belt withing the next 10k miles or sooner. That is about $1200 worth of work.

I think the 2005 Neon is the only one of the four that will most likely not need any real work other than oil changes.

Silock
06-25-2012, 03:06 PM

How do you know I don't have first hand experience?

Brock
06-25-2012, 03:06 PM
The fact that there are 10 billion Grand Ams on the road should tell you something. The old axiom "GM products will run badly longer than most cars will run at all" definitely applies.

Silock
06-25-2012, 03:08 PM

It's slow. Very slow. It performs well enough that it could, in theory, help him avoid accidents.

That being said, he can only drive it when there isn't ice on the ground, so it's of limited use, anyway.

Silock
06-25-2012, 03:11 PM

So, would you say that your opinion of them is just as valuable as the other posters' opinions on the Neon? :)

I have also owned a Grand Am. Ran forever. 1995. However, it was a giant pile of shit that needed constant maintenance.

Silock
06-25-2012, 03:12 PM
ROFL

If I was going strictly on price, I would be all over the Grand Am pending the mechanical inspection tomorrow. The main thing I am worried about with the Civic is all the maintenance it will need before the end of this year. New belts, new rear brakes, possibly new tires and a new timing belt withing the next 10k miles or sooner. That is about $1200 worth of work.

I think the 2005 Neon is the only one of the four that will most likely not need any real work other than oil changes.

. . . For now. You either pay for the good car up front, or pay more for a bad car down the road in terms of maintenance. The civic is a good car, regardless of what it needs right now.

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
ROFL

All are very good points. You really have to watch timing belts with those little 4 banger interference engines.

Ever watch that program with the 3 gals wrenching on cars on the velocity channel, "all Girls Garage?" They had a small Chevy head off on the one episode I watched recently. All the valves were bent, and the same was true with the salvage head they bought.

Brock
06-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Timing belt/water pump on a civic is 450. Brakes (and I'm doubtful it even needs to be done) is an easy DIY. Tires are cheap. Do not pass up a good civic.

HemiEd
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
So, would you say that your opinion of them is just as valuable as the other posters' opinions on the Neon? :)

I have also owned a Grand Am. Ran forever. 1995. However, it was a giant pile of shit that needed constant maintenance.

Did you buy it new, or already beat up?

Yes, I have never owned a Grand Am, nor has anyone in my family. So my opinion on them is mute, all second hand.

I think with any car, they give you what you give them. I would say the higher percentage of entry level cars are usually owned by newer drivers or financially challenged people, so preventative maintenance may not be a priority. But flogging the shit out of them is.

Guru
06-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Timing belt/water pump on a civic is 450. Brakes (and I'm doubtful it even needs to be done) is an easy DIY. Tires are cheap. Do not pass up a good civic.

Here is the report on the Civic.

Belts are cracking, front brakes have 6mm remaining while rear drum brakes have about 15% remaining, tires have between 5 & 6/32nds remaining. Timing belt will be needed by 120k miles.

Mechanic felt the wheels would be too worn down for winter driving and I know I never drive on wheels once they hit 3/32nd.

Guru
06-25-2012, 03:51 PM
. . . For now. You either pay for the good car up front, or pay more for a bad car down the road in terms of maintenance. The civic is a good car, regardless of what it needs right now.

The main thing being, 3 of the 4 cars will most likely all need the same maintenance now. I expect the Miata, Grand Am and Civic all need new belts and probably a timing belt. 16 years on a timing belt even at low mileage I would think the rubber would still be cracking by now.

Silock
06-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Did you buy it new, or already beat up?

Yes, I have never owned a Grand Am, nor has anyone in my family. So my opinion on them is mute, all second hand.

I think with any car, they give you what you give them. I would say the higher percentage of entry level cars are usually owned by newer drivers or financially challenged people, so preventative maintenance may not be a priority. But flogging the shit out of them is.

My parents bought it brand new in 1995, and I inherited it in high school. The interior started falling apart as soon as the warranty ran out... go figure.

Silock
06-25-2012, 03:58 PM
The main thing being, 3 of the 4 cars will most likely all need the same maintenance now. I expect the Miata, Grand Am and Civic all need new belts and probably a timing belt. 16 years on a timing belt even at low mileage I would think the rubber would still be cracking by now.

Use that as a negotiating point to get the seller to lower the price.

3rd&48ers
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Well, we are down to a

decisions.

EDIT

The grand am is a good deal, has it got that 4 cyl or that 3.1 v6?

Guru
06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Use that as a negotiating point to get the seller to lower the price.

Oh absolutely. I know the owners of the civic may not bend much because others have looked and are interested in it. I'm the only one to take it to a mechanic though.

I did find out some new info on it. The SRS light is on and the owner said it was a recall issue. I just got off the phone with Honda and they said they won't know that until it is brought in and hooked up to their system. That costs $47 which is waived if it is subject to the recall. But if it isn't, I'm out another $47 plus expenses. Since it relates directly to airbag deployance, (that even a word? LMAO) I wouldn't want to sit on the light like they obviously have.

Bugeater
06-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Oh absolutely. I know the owners of the civic may not bend much because others have looked and are interested in it. I'm the only one to take it to a mechanic though.

I did find out some new info on it. The SRS light is on and the owner said it was a recall issue. I just got off the phone with Honda and they said they won't know that until it is brought in and hooked up to their system. That costs $47 which is waived if it is subject to the recall. But if it isn't, I'm out another $47 plus expenses. Since it relates directly to airbag deployance, (that even a word? LMAO) I wouldn't want to sit on the light like they obviously have.
Sounds like something the owner should've taken care of before they put it up for sale.

Brock
06-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Not sure how old this kid is, but the civic is likely to carry him through college. The rest, not so much.

I guess my second choice would be the grand am, but only because they all have the same problems that everybody knows about.

JASONSAUTO
06-25-2012, 05:15 PM
If the airbag light is on it should have disabled the system, should be no chance of deployment.

I can't remember ANY grand am with a timing belt. In 1996.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-25-2012, 05:17 PM
And I would not wait on the timing belt on a Honda, if it's about due it's due IMO. You didn't want it to break and if you aren't absolutely POSITIVE it was done on time just do it before you ever let the kids drive it.

My wife has the same issue: I always have to tell her I can't fix it if her ass is in the seat...
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-25-2012, 07:49 PM
And I would not wait on the timing belt on a Honda, if it's about due it's due IMO. You didn't want it to break and if you aren't absolutely POSITIVE it was done on time just do it before you ever let the kids drive it.

My wife has the same issue: I always have to tell her I can't fix it if her ass is in the seat...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, that is the discussion the wife and I have been having. Whether or not we want to fork out this much money right at the get go. He can't afford all that. If timing belts weren't so damn expensive to get done. ON the positive side, it may be the last major expense we have to deal with for quite a while if the reputation of Honda is correct. Just wish I had more information about the Neon now instead of tomorrow or Wednesday. Would like to make our decision with all the info availablle on all cars.

The thing I am really worried about on the Neon perceived reputation and how much the property taxes could be since it is the newest of the four.

JASONSAUTO
06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I will say that I have seen the newer neons have a weird issue where the fuel line to the motor leaks at the fitting where it meets the hard line at the firewall. Replacing the line to the motor doesn't fix it. (at least in my experience) and I have fixed quite a few.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze
06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Off topic but I ran into a guy today with a new camaro RS with straight pipes and borla exhaust......holy shit it sounded good. Even better as he stomped it from the QT.

Carry on

Guru
06-25-2012, 07:59 PM
I will say that I have seen the newer neons have a weird issue where the fuel line to the motor leaks at the fitting where it meets the hard line at the firewall. Replacing the line to the motor doesn't fix it. (at least in my experience) and I have fixed quite a few.
Posted via Mobile Device

I assume you include 2005 in newer?

JASONSAUTO
06-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Off topic but I ran into a guy today with a new camaro RS with straight pipes and borla exhaust......holy shit it sounded good. Even better as he stomped it from the QT.

Carry on boy. One of my car lot accounts had a Camaro that was six speed, hot can, tuner done on comp. Bigger injectors, custom exhaust custom headers, aftermarket suspension.

It was a bad motherfucker, from three grand to the red line it was a rocket.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-25-2012, 08:01 PM
I assume you include 2005 in newer?

Yeah sorry... Lol. I know that's not "newer" anymore
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
03 04 05 I have personally seen it, worst part is that it runs right on the exhaust manifold. Just something to look at.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-25-2012, 08:04 PM
And kinda tug a little on that fucker when it's running, don't go crazy but wiggle it around and make sure it doesn't spot some fuel. And NO silicone or duct tape will not fix it
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-25-2012, 10:39 PM
DAmn, the 96 Grand Am is getting horrible review on KBB.com Didn't expect that. Only a 6.9 overall.

Silock
06-25-2012, 11:23 PM
It's not a good car. But like I said earlier, you might get lucky. I wouldn't count on it, though. The law of averages is very much against you.

Guru
06-25-2012, 11:34 PM
It's not a good car. But like I said earlier, you might get lucky. I wouldn't count on it, though. The law of averages is very much against you.

I was shocked when I asked my dad his opinion on the 4 cars and he said go with the Miata. He has built a couple of his own cars and also helps a buddy out so he has some knowledge.

Said it has been taken care of the best and has the best reputation. Hated the Grand Am as he had a 96 Grand Prix that was nothing but a headache for him and the Grand Am has the exact same engine. He did agree that the Miata isn't exactly practical for a teen. Suggested the Neon since it isn't as old but it would depend on the mileage and the mechanics review of it.

Silock
06-26-2012, 12:46 AM
I would wholeheartedly recommend the Miata, except he'd be driving it year-round, and it's just not that kind of car. I tried to make mine do it, and nearly got myself killed.

Guru
06-26-2012, 12:48 AM
I would wholeheartedly recommend the Miata, except he'd be driving it year-round, and it's just not that kind of car. I tried to make mine do it, and nearly got myself killed.

We could probably just let him drive our car on the snow days but in kansas you never know how much you might get.

Silock
06-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Exactly. Two years ago, there was snow from November through March.

JASONSAUTO
06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
what motor does the grand am have?

Guru
06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
what motor does the grand am have?

3.1L V6

JASONSAUTO
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
3.1L V6

much better than a 3.4.

and it has a chain not a belt, timing wise.

i have only seen one fail in all my years on that model

MagicHef
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM

I drove a 91 MR2 for several years summer and winter in Colorado, and it was... fun.

Very fun.

Silock
06-26-2012, 04:38 PM
The MR2 also has much more weight over the drive wheels than a Miata does.

Guru
06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Grand Am passed the mechanical inspection with flying colors. We chose to purchase it. Just can't beat $2500 for a vehicle that only has 69k miles on it.

I would like to thank everyone for your input in this thread. You guys were amazingly helpful!!!

EDIT

Now I have to talk the Miata owner into holding on to that car for a few more years for ME. :D

JASONSAUTO
06-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Grand Am passed the mechanical inspection with flying colors. We chose to purchase it. Just can't beat $2500 for a vehicle that only has 69k miles on it.

I would like to thank everyone for your input in this thread. You guys were amazingly helpful!!!

EDIT

Now I have to talk the Miata owner into holding on to that car for a few more years for ME. :D
Congrats
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Just keep an eye on the intake gasket. Some issues with the 3.1 not add much as the 3.4 though.

If it starts leaking use the fel pro problem solver gaskets and never have an issue again.

I do them quite often on the 3.4 takes me a couple hours and costs about four fifty
Posted via Mobile Device

stevieray
06-26-2012, 05:28 PM

I was one of the first to advocate for the GA.

..get the boy some tunes! :D

seriously, congrats!...you'll be pleased. one owner?

3rd&48ers
06-26-2012, 05:30 PM
We had a 1994 Sunbird with that 3.1 V6 in it and never had a minutes trouble out of it except the serpentine belt...

Car was pretty zippy too.

Guru
06-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Just keep an eye on the intake gasket. Some issues with the 3.1 not add much as the 3.4 though.

If it starts leaking use the fel pro problem solver gaskets and never have an issue again.

I do them quite often on the 3.4 takes me a couple hours and costs about four fifty
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, the said there is a very small oil leak they suspect is a gasket but he said it is nothing to be concerned about for now. I'll keep your advice in mind too.
I was one of the first to advocate for the GA.

..get the boy some tunes! :D

seriously, congrats!...you'll be pleased. one owner?
had 2 owners. 1st drove to 38k miles. 2nd to 68k.

JASONSAUTO
06-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Could be the oil pump drive o, ring. Pretty common. part is a couple of bucks
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
be prepared for the typical GM fuel pump failure. It helps to never run it below a quarter tank, from what I've heard.

JASONSAUTO
06-26-2012, 06:15 PM
be prepared for the typical GM fuel pump failure. It helps to never run it below a quarter tank, from what I've heard.

Lol. I haven't seen them as much on the cars.

Trucks and blazers on the other hand...
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-26-2012, 06:17 PM
I drive GM products and everyone that works for me hates me because I never have gas in whatever I'm driving.

They take off in my ride and have to get gas lol.

I only live two blocks away, they can put gas in it for me lol, I hate the gas station.

I have only replaced one fuel pump on my van in eight years and never in anything else I own
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Lol. I haven't seen them as much on the cars.

Trucks and blazers on the other hand...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, all of my 90s GM trucks have had it done once.

JASONSAUTO
06-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Yes, all of my 90s GM trucks have had it done once.

Yep. That's how they work lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
06-26-2012, 07:58 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Yep. I had a 94 Cavalier with the 3.1 and had that problem.

Guru
06-26-2012, 08:19 PM

yeah, we already practice not letting it go below a quarter anyway.

Guru
06-26-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm also keeping in mind that all of this work may have already been done. The belts were not very old at all, the brakes are almost brand new as well as the tires so the previous owner must have really taken care of this car.

Brock
06-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a deal. Did you ever post pics of it?

Guru
06-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a deal. Did you ever post pics of it?

I'll try and remember to toss some up tomorrow.

EDIT

Here is the craigslist ad with some pics.

http://topeka.craigslist.org/ctd/3099846883.html

JASONSAUTO
06-26-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm also keeping in mind that all of this work may have already been done. The belts were not very old at all, the brakes are almost brand new as well as the tires so the previous owner must have really taken care of this car.

All what work?

but it sounds like someone did take care of the car, that is good
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-26-2012, 09:18 PM
All what work?

but it sounds like someone did take care of the car, that is good
Posted via Mobile Device

Just referring to the fuel pump you guys brought up.

MIAdragon
06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I'll try and remember to toss some up tomorrow.

EDIT

Here is the craigslist ad with some pics.

http://topeka.craigslist.org/ctd/3099846883.html

Is the just the pics or are both front wheel pushed WAY back in the wheel wells?

Phobia
06-26-2012, 09:44 PM
I think it will be a really good first car for the kid. Big decision. All my kids have had and will continue to have complete beaters for their first car.

Guru
06-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Is the just the pics or are both front wheel pushed WAY back in the wheel wells?

Just the angle of the photo

scott free
06-26-2012, 11:19 PM
My son wants me to run an AutoCheck on a Benz C240 from Hornburgs back lot, as far as i'm concerned those are almost useless out there in the contiguous city that runs from LA to San Diego, all manner of chicanery is at hard at work out there.

This things been beaten to death & shined up, i just know it before even looking into it, they probably have 60 of those & will pull any turd they have right on up...

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&car_id=324611207&dealer_id=67129703&car_year=2001&dealership_view_name=newportpreowned&address=&sort_type=yearASC&resultCar=319489472&search_type=used&cardist=0

Lzen
06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
It is a salvage title for total loss due to flood back in 2004. Runs well and the interior is decent. No smell at all. Owner states they have only had to change the oil and replace a tire on it. Mentioned that they have noticed a little oil burnoff but no leaks under the car. Also mentioned that it sometimes hesitates during acceleration. I never noticed it on my test drive though.

Looks like the potential issue is transmission.

Told them to call me if the person looking at it tomorrow isn't interested and I would take it to a mechanic to verify if there is a huge potential problem.

My gut tells me to stay away from a flood car though.

Haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I would avoid flood cars at all costs. My nephew bought a late 90s Camry a couple years ago. When I went to the replace the brakes, the entire pistons just dropped out of the calipers. I suspect that may have had something to do with being in the flood. But the worst part was that it had electrical problems that showed up later and the car burned to the ground.

Lzen
06-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Sounds like you need to get yourself a motorcycle. :) Go for it, Rod. I'll ride with you.

Guru
06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Sounds like you need to get yourself a motorcycle. :) Go for it, Rod. I'll ride with you.

Not a chance. heh

HemiEd
06-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Congrats, you did a nice job on the purchase. Hopefully your kid really appreciates it and gets trouble free service for a long time.

Just from experience you might keep an eye out for spare fenders and bumpers. :D

Guru
06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Congrats, you did a nice job on the purchase. Hopefully your kid really appreciates it and gets trouble free service for a long time.

Just from experience you might keep an eye out for spare fenders and bumpers. :D

not funny. But I know what you mean.

Bugeater
06-27-2012, 04:33 PM
I think it will be a really good first car for the kid. Big decision. All my kids have had and will continue to have complete beaters for their first car.
Yep, I had a complete beater for my first car. And my second. And third. And fourth, fifth, sixth...

Bugeater
06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
I was beginning to wonder if Guru was really even looking for a car and not just trying to get a 1,000 post thread.

Guru
06-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I was beginning to wonder if Guru was really even looking for a car and not just trying to get a 1,000 post thread.

still going....................

Bugeater
06-27-2012, 04:49 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRAZOD! :toast:

Guru
06-27-2012, 04:53 PM
We should just make this the thread for anyone looking to buy a used car.

scott free
06-29-2012, 09:08 PM
We should just make this the thread for anyone looking to buy a used car.

So Mote It Be, sez I.

Its been a very informative & full of honest takes, thread.

Dayze
06-30-2012, 01:37 AM
If you hate it now..just wait til you drive it.

Guru
07-09-2012, 04:47 AM
Quick stupid question. When your kids get a car do you put it in your name, their name, or both on the title?

InChiefsHell
07-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Quick stupid question. When your kids get a car do you put it in your name, their name, or both on the title?

It's in my name until they are out of high school. Because let's face it, I'm responsible for all their shit till then anyway.

Guru
07-09-2012, 05:04 AM
It's in my name until they are out of high school. Because let's face it, I'm responsible for all their shit till then anyway.

That was pretty much the way I was going to do it but my wife was questioning me on it.

Bugeater
07-09-2012, 05:58 AM
In the state of Nebraska you can't legally own a car until you're 18.

MahiMike
07-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Been in the car dealership biz by accident lately. There are so many overpriced used cars now. Everyone is hanging on to theirs. Search on Auto trader goes out 200 miles. Hate buying from dealers. Recently traded my dream car 2010 VW GTI in on 2 BMWs. My daughter got the 2004 X3 and me the beat up 2001 325i. Now she says she can't afford the gas. Gonna have to go Toyota again. Trade offs...

InChiefsHell
07-09-2012, 07:11 AM

That's the other thing. In NE anyway. My daughter just bought a car, she's 21 so it felt good to not have to have my name on it. Her last car she got at 18 but we were on the title anyway. This one, I got nuthin' to do with it.

3rd&48ers
07-11-2012, 11:11 AM

But is it legal to fuck a sheep?