PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Buying older used cars

Pages : [1] 2

Guru
06-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Do you purchase without having a mechanic look at it?

Found a decent car for my teen that ran and looked great but when I checked the VIN history it showed that it was in a total loss collision back in 2006 when it was only 4 years old. Since that time it only has an additional 10k miles on it for a total of 113k.

The seller was fine with me taking it to a mechanic until I told him it would take at least 2 hours because I was having them check the frame too. Then the seller balked on me. Said he has another buyer willing to purchase without using a mechanic.

Do people really buy used cars without checking them out at all?

Phobia
06-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Mechanics are expensive. I just bluff that I'm taking the car to a mechanic and come back talking about all the problems. Then I lowball them.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 06:34 PM
No they're no phob. Should be able to spend less than fifty bucks and get a good check up... Hell I do it for people all the time for free.
Posted via Mobile Device

R8RFAN
06-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Do you purchase without having a mechanic look at it?

Found a decent car for my teen that ran and looked great but when I checked the VIN history it showed that it was in a total loss collision back in 2006 when it was only 4 years old. Since that time it only has an additional 10k miles on it for a total of 113k.

The seller was fine with me taking it to a mechanic until I told him it would take at least 2 hours because I was having them check the frame too. Then the seller balked on me. Said he has another buyer willing to purchase without using a mechanic.

Do people really buy used cars without checking them out at all?

Tell them to get bent....

Phobia
06-20-2012, 06:37 PM
No they're no phob. Should be able to spend less than fifty bucks and get a good check up... Hell I do it for people all the time for free.
Posted via Mobile Device

You know how many months of OTA TV $50 will buy? /guru

Buehler445
Tell them Tits or GTFO

Guru
Mechanics are expensive. I just bluff that I'm taking the car to a mechanic and come back talking about all the problems. Then I lowball them.

I'm talking about my kids safety here. No way am I going to purchase a totaled out car without checking it out first. Hell the price is only $39. Another $31 to check the alignment for potential frame issues.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm talking about my kids safety here. No way am I going to purchase a totaled out car without checking it out first. Hell the price is only $39. Another $31 to check the alignment for potential frame issues.

Car could show good on an alignment and still have frame issues
Posted via Mobile Device

Kirby
06-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Very very true. A car with frame issues is a far you want no part of.

Flachief58
06-20-2012, 06:45 PM

This, I don't think you can put a price on your kids life.

Guru
06-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I am aware of that. I just hate that this car has been the best looking and best running car we have tried out. Rides smooth. Engine runs great. Yet 10k miles in the last 6 years makes me wonder just how long this thing was sitting in a salvage yard.

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Run, don't walk, away from this deal. Let the "other" buyer take their chances on it.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I am aware of that. I just hate that this car has been the best looking and best running car we have tried out. Rides smooth. Engine runs great. Yet 10k miles in the last 6 years makes me wonder just how long this thing was sitting in a salvage yard.
What make?

And it probably never hit a salvage yard if it's that clean.

Someone most likely had it fixed themselves over some time.
at least that's what I would guess
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 06:53 PM

That's a pretty freaking scary thought on its own.

ThaVirus
I've owned two cars in my lifetime. Both were used and right at 10 years old when I bought them. I didn't have either checked out by mechanics.

The first was a 98 Honda Civic. It was my first car and I didn't know what the balls I was doing anyhow so I just went to the lot, drove it up the street, then took it home. I bought it at 137,000 miles and never had any issues for two years. Then all kinds of problems started kicking in. Anything from power windows not responding to coolant hoses coming loose. Finally the big problem: the transmission started slipping. I was just tired of the car at that point so I took it to trade it in for pennies. The people at the dealership went to the Carfax and found out the car had been checked in at 207,000 miles about a year before I bought it. So apparently someone rolled back the miles quite a bit to get more value. That's pretty illegal but since I had bought it "as is" there wasn't much I could do.

Then I bought the car I drive now, an 03 Toyota Camry. I had been carless for like 3 weeks and felt terrible bumming rides all the time. So I went to the dealership and found my car. Loved it and took it home the next day without getting it checked out. Idiotic move based on what I had just gone through but I'm an impulse buyer. Turns out the car is in fantastic condition for a car of it's age, thankfully. Only issue it had was a pretty major leak in the valve gasket, which old cars tend to get.

Moral is, definitely get it checked out before hand. Car salesman are snakes. My friend actually works at a dealership and he said they'll take any car. They just detail it, put new tires on it, then sell it to the first person willing to pay.

Guru
I had forgotten how much work goes into finding a good used car. there are so few out there. I can't stand these craigslist people either. Half of them never bother to return your call or text.

Guru
06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
What make?

And it probably never hit a salvage yard if it's that clean.

at least that's what I would guess
Posted via Mobile Device

2002 Dodge Neon

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Another thing: I wouldn't be scaredof a car with prior frame issues. Well as long as the seller would be forthcoming and tell you where it is and how it was fixed.

Most can be fixed by a good mechanic
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 06:57 PM
I had forgotten how much work goes into finding a good used car. there are so few out there. I can't stand these craigslist people either. Half of them never bother to return your call or text.
That's because the fucksticks sell their shit and don't bother taking down their ads.

Guru
06-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Another thing: I wouldn't be scaredof a car with prior frame issues. Well as long as the seller would be forthcoming and tell you where it is and how it was fixed.

Most can be fixed by a good mechanic
Posted via Mobile Device

The accident happened before this guy owned it so he can't tell me anything about it other than how it runs for him. He has only owned it for about 8 months but he lost his job and needs to sell. (at least, that is what he says)

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 06:59 PM
And to be a total the damage just has to be more than the car is worth , I wouldn't think it would take too much to total out a for year old neon lol.

I have a body shop buddy with a frame machine that can fix about anything and them I align them to specs and he sells a ton of totals.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 07:01 PM
The accident happened before this guy owned it so he can't tell me anything about it other than how it runs for him. He has only owned it for about 8 months but he lost his job and needs to sell. (at least, that is what he says)

a good mechanic should be able to tell pretty quick how bad it was and the quality of the work of the repair.

If the seller balks run.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Bottom line here is there are two huge red flags.

1. The seller balking...why would this bother him if there were no issues? It's not like he's having to pay for the inspection.

2. The "other" buyer is a flat-out lie. If this other buyer really existed, why would he still have the car and be trying to sell it to you?

Walk away.

Guru
06-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Bottom line here is there are two huge red flags.

1. The seller balking...why would this bother him if there were no issues? It's not like he's having to pay for the inspection.

2. The "other" buyer is a flat-out lie. If this other buyer really existed, why would he still have the car and be trying to sell it to you?

Walk away.

he didn't balk at the mechanic, he balked when he found out it would take over 2 hours.

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 07:14 PM
he didn't balk at the mechanic, he balked when he found out it would take over 2 hours.
Still not sure why that would be an issue. Was he going to go with you and wait while the inspection was being done?

Guru
06-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Still not sure why that would be an issue. Was he going to go with you and wait while the inspection was being done?

yep.

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 07:17 PM
yep.
Tell him to quit being a pussy and just let you take the damn car yourself. Does he really think someone wants to steal his shitty Neon from him?

Brock
06-20-2012, 07:22 PM
You don't want a neon as a gift.

Guru
06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
You don't want a neon as a gift.

The problem here is there is a limit on what he can spend. Trying to keep it under 4k.

Dealers overprice the cars and private sellers don't want to wait for you to have them checked out first. How do you win that situation.

Brock
06-20-2012, 07:30 PM
The problem here is there is a limit on what he can spend. Trying to keep it under 4k.

Dealers overprice the cars and private sellers don't want to wait for you to have them checked out first. How do you win that situation.

You can buy a really nice car for 4k. You certainly don't need to settle for a wrecked dodge.

Deberg_1990
06-20-2012, 07:32 PM
You can buy a really nice car for 4k. You certainly don't need to settle for a wrecked dodge.

This, I'd walk away. Too many Other car options out there.

Oh, and buy a Honda, Toyota or Nissan if your going for an older used car.

Brock
06-20-2012, 07:36 PM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3089873844.html

Easy to work on, 1500 or more under budget.

Guru
06-20-2012, 07:36 PM

if only I could find them around here. Seems like every time I find one that looks like a good deal, it ends up having over 150k miles on it. Came across a 2004 Malibu today for 3K. 150k miles and the interior looks crappy. Couldn't test drive as the dealer was closing down. The price makes me nervous though. KBB and edmunds have it priced higher. The VIN checks out though. No theft and not totaled out.

Guru
06-20-2012, 07:38 PM
This, I'd walk away. Too many Other car options out there.

Oh, and buy a Honda, Toyota or Nissan if your going for an older used car.

nobody is selling them in our price range. That is what I would prefer to buy though.

Guru
06-20-2012, 07:39 PM

not a chance. I'm not a gear head and have no desire to work on a car myself so being easy to work on is not a selling point for me.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Except for one of the shittiest electronic carb ever
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 07:46 PM
if only I could find them around here. Seems like every time I find one that looks like a good deal, it ends up having over 150k miles on it. Came across a 2004 Malibu today for 3K. 150k miles and the interior looks crappy. Couldn't test drive as the dealer was closing down. The price makes me nervous though. KBB and edmunds have it priced higher. The VIN checks out though. No theft and not totaled out.
Meh. Not sure what mileage is your breaking point but pretty much anything that has over 100k is going to be a crapshoot. I'd take a well maintained 150k vehicle over a similar 100k vehicle if it saved me a couple thousand bucks.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 07:47 PM
probably a 3.4L that's getting ready to blow up...
Posted via Mobile Device

ReynardMuldrake
06-20-2012, 07:51 PM
I've owned two cars in my lifetime. Both were used and right at 10 years old when I bought them. I didn't have either checked out by mechanics.

The first was a 98 Honda Civic. It was my first car and I didn't know what the balls I was doing anyhow so I just went to the lot, drove it up the street, then took it home. I bought it at 137,000 miles and never had any issues for two years. Then all kinds of problems started kicking in. Anything from power windows not responding to coolant hoses coming loose. Finally the big problem: the transmission started slipping. I was just tired of the car at that point so I took it to trade it in for pennies. The people at the dealership went to the Carfax and found out the car had been checked in at 207,000 miles about a year before I bought it. So apparently someone rolled back the miles quite a bit to get more value. That's pretty illegal but since I had bought it "as is" there wasn't much I could do.

Doesn't matter what the warranty was, if someone's rolling back the odometer, that's fraud. You should have taken them to court to recoup the difference in the value of the car.

Brock
06-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Except for one of the shittiest electronic carb ever
Posted via Mobile Device

Meh. If that's the case, slap an edelbrock on it and be done with it.

Brock
06-20-2012, 07:56 PM
not a chance. I'm not a gear head and have no desire to work on a car myself so being easy to work on is not a selling point for me.

I understand. You're just going to have to be patient, check craigslist every day, and wait for the right deal to come along. (don't buy from a dealer)

Fairplay
06-20-2012, 07:57 PM

cheater

Deberg_1990
06-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Note to self. Don't ever sell a car to Phil.

Fairplay
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM

If i had confidence in the car i would let someone have a mec look at it but i would go up there with them. I wouldn't just hand them the keys.

Guru
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I understand. You're just going to have to be patient, check craigslist every day, and wait for the right deal to come along. (don't buy from a dealer)

The real problem for me is that I work graveyard so most deals are gone by the time I wake up. The ones that I have been able to talk to don't want to wait for a inspection. kind of puts me behind the 8 ball.

I feel like I have to just take a risk which I really don't want to do.

First car I ever bought for myself I went without an inspection and ended up losing nearly 1500 bucks to new CV joints and new rotors.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Either of the car geeks posting on this thread have a manly-van recommendation (year and model) for $10-15k? Our Sienna is 13 years old and over 200k so we're looking for a replacement. How about the Kia Borrego? That Kia makes me nervous but it sure is a nice looking ride for the money.

Deberg_1990
06-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Either of the car geeks posting on this thread have a manly-van recommendation (year and model) for $10-15k? Our Sienna is 13 years old and over 200k so we're looking for a replacement. How about the Kia Borrego? That Kia makes me nervous but it sure is a nice looking ride for the money.

This is how i roll

Brock
06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3088475560.html

Here's a little civic that's priced almost unbelieveably low for the miles. I'm a little dubious, but it's worth a call.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 08:16 PM
This is how i roll

Those a nice, no doubt. Little on the pricey side though. Trying to figure out how to get the most van for the money while avoiding the problematic model years. Mid-2000's had a couple "avoid" years in there for both Toyota and Honda.

Deberg_1990
06-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Those a nice, no doubt. Little on the pricey side though. Trying to figure out how to get the most van for the money while avoiding the problematic model years. Mid-2000's had a couple "avoid" years in there for both Toyota and Honda.

This is a few years old, but might help.

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/used-minivans-15000/

Fairplay
06-20-2012, 08:26 PM

Tell them you are going to have your mechanic check it out.

Silock
06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
LOL @ Neon

HELL no.

DeezNutz
06-20-2012, 08:32 PM

x2. FFS, man. If I had 4K for my first car, I would have considered myself extraordinarily lucky.

Guru
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM

thread hijacker

Guru
06-20-2012, 08:41 PM
x2. FFS, man. If I had 4K for my first car, I would have considered myself extraordinarily lucky.

yeah, 4k doesn't get you anything great these days. If I had 4k back in 1990 I would have been ecstatic.

Brock
06-20-2012, 08:47 PM

Heh, I think I spent 700 dollars. Some old crappy ford truck.

Easy 6
06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Car salesman are snakes. My friend actually works at a dealership and he said they'll take any car. They just detail it, put new tires on it, then sell it to the first person willing to pay.

Some are, some arent... its really more about what kind of dealership they work for, the good places are set up so a salesman cant be a snake, they wont sell garbage only to have hundreds of people hounding their ass & telling everyone they know that your place sucks. Your buddy works for a place that sucks.

Phobia, get a chrysler town & country or dodge caravan, they are the reason neither gm nor ford even bother making one anymore & vw's new van is a licensed copy & paste of them, look up ten reviews of them from the same year, eight of them will be totally positive... dont be one of those pea brains that think only the japanese make great vehicles.

MIAdragon
06-20-2012, 09:11 PM

Or he figured out its really fucked up and is trying to unload it asap. Just pass.

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 09:14 PM
yeah, 4k doesn't get you anything great these days. If I had 4k back in 1990 I would have been ecstatic.
I've had both of my current vehicles for 3 years and I didn't pay more than 4K for either of them.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Some are, some arent... its really more about what kind of dealership they work for, the good places are set up so a salesman cant be a snake, they wont sell garbage only to have hundreds of people hounding their ass & telling everyone they know that your place sucks. Your buddy works for a place that sucks.

Phobia, get a chrysler town & country or dodge caravan, they are the reason neither gm nor ford even bother making one anymore & vw's new van is a licensed copy & paste of them, look up ten reviews of them from the same year, eight of them will be totally positive... dont be one of those pea brains that think only the japanese make great vehicles.

Yeah, so I went to look at some reviews on a 2008 T&C because that's what fits my price range. Think I'm gonna pass. http://www.edmunds.com/chrysler/town-and-country/2008/consumer-reviews.html

Easy 6
06-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah, so I went to look at some reviews on a 2008 T&C because that's what fits my price range. Think I'm gonna pass. http://www.edmunds.com/chrysler/town-and-country/2008/consumer-reviews.html

I sold several dozen of them when i worked for a dodge store & quite honestly the only complaint i ever heard was the brake issue, its true that they do need new pads somewhat frequently.

Other than that, it was a very, very satisfied group of customers... when someone gets a bad vehicle - and all car makers have them, ask toyota, they're made by people & it happens - people raise a justified stink & will swear that they're the worst thing on the road, but what you dont hear are the millions of satisfied people.

Guru
06-20-2012, 09:35 PM
I sold several dozen of them when i worked for a dodge store & quite honestly the only complaint i ever heard was the brake issue, its true that they do need new pads somewhat frequently.

Other than that, it was a very, very satisfied group of customers... when someone gets a bad vehicle - and all car makers have them, ask toyota, they're made by people & it happens - people raise a justified stink & will swear that they're the worst thing on the road, but what you dont hear are the millions of satisfied people.

Loved my T&C for the short time we owned it. You know, before that cell phone using idiot destroyed it. Loved our Voyager before that as well.

To be honest, I regret buying the Odyssey and would just as soon go back to T&C again.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Meh. If that's the case, slap an edelbrock on it and be done with it.

Have to do the manifold too and distributor. Then just take off the computer.

And changing carbs won't pass a "legal" mo inspection
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
06-20-2012, 09:37 PM
You told me 8 of 10 would be positive. I read through 8 before I got to one that said they were nervous because they just got it with 34k on it and the transmission was slipping. I know internet reviews are hit and miss but most those reviews are negative. I want to buy a van that will be good for 300k. You know of any T&C going 300k?

Guru
06-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Give me your opinion on which no more than 12 year old cars I should be looking at.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 09:38 PM
The real problem for me is that I work graveyard so most deals are gone by the time I wake up. The ones that I have been able to talk to don't want to wait for a inspection. kind of puts me behind the 8 ball.

I feel like I have to just take a risk which I really don't want to do.

First car I ever bought for myself I went without an inspection and ended up losing nearly 1500 bucks to new CV joints and new rotors.
Don't take a risk just because you feel like you have to.

And you got fucked on axles and rotors for fifteen hundred
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
06-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Loved my T&C for the short time we owned it. You know, before that cell phone using idiot destroyed it. Loved our Voyager before that as well.

To be honest, I regret buying the Odyssey and would just as soon go back to T&C again.

See, everyone? thanks for helping tell the other side of the story, guru.

JASONSAUTO
Either of the car geeks posting on this thread have a manly-van recommendation (year and model) for $10-15k? Our Sienna is 13 years old and over 200k so we're looking for a replacement. How about the Kia Borrego? That Kia makes me nervous but it sure is a nice looking ride for the money. never thought I would say this but the newer kia's I have worked on are pretty well put together.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
You told me 8 of 10 would be positive. I read through 8 before I got to one that said they were nervous because they just got it with 34k on it and the transmission was slipping. I know internet reviews are hit and miss but most those reviews are negative. I want to buy a van that will be good for 300k. You know of any T&C going 300k?
Do you know of any vehicle going 300k?

Guru
Don't take a risk just because you feel like you have to.

And you got ****ed on axles and rotors for fifteen hundred
Posted via Mobile Device

it was somwhere between 1k and 1.5k is all I can remember. It was 1989.

Guru
06-20-2012, 09:41 PM

I always get a kick out of the ford and chevy truck commercials talking about their vehicles getting 250k or more. Yeah, after how many overhauls.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 09:43 PM
I've seen both sides of the Chrysler product minivan.

Either it's a piece of shit. SHIT JUNK THIS MOTHER FUCKER!

Or it's the most dependable vehicle the family has ever owned.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 09:44 PM

A dodge Cummins diesel.

See tons of them
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6

What i meant by reviews is Motor Trend, Car & Driver, stuff like that done by professionals who know what in the hell they're talking about, or go to JD Powers to get the consumer satisfaction rating.

When only reading people reviews, you're almost always going to get bad ones because they have an axe to grind & want to tell the world... the tons of satisfied people arent out there running their mouth, because they're happy with it & see no reason to vent their vengeance all over the web.

Phobia

Sure. My mechanic just told me my Sienna is good for another 90k. I've seen plenty of Toy/Honda go 300k. Don't see any Chryslers though.

Baconeater
I always get a kick out of the ford and chevy truck commercials talking about their vehicles getting 250k or more. Yeah, after how many overhauls.
Yeah, it's possible to keep them going that long. But it's stupid, once they reach that mileage they're simply not worth pouring the money into them that it takes to keep them going.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Give me your opinion on which no more than 12 year old cars I should be looking at.

Four grand? I would look for a 02, 03 lesabre with a 3.8 . And hope I got lucky
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Sure. My mechanic just told me my Sienna is good for another 90k. I've seen plenty of Toy/Honda go 300k. Don't see any Chryslers though.
Then why are you looking? It sounds like you already own the vehicle you seek.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 09:47 PM
A dodge Cummins diesel.

See tons of them
Posted via Mobile Device

My 7.3 Powerstroke just turned 225 on the odometer. It has a +20% variance due to big tires. I've owned it since 100k so I know it has at least 250, maybe 275 depending on when the previous owner put oversize tires on the thing. I hope to get at least another 200k out of it.

MIAdragon
06-20-2012, 09:48 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3071723339.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3090844984.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3090795176.html

Id rock this in a hearbeat

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3074198648.html

MIAdragon
06-20-2012, 09:49 PM
My 7.3 Powerstroke just turned 225 on the odometer. It has a +20% variance due to big tires. I've owned it since 100k so I know it has at least 250, maybe 275 depending on when the previous owner put oversize tires on the thing. I hope to get at least another 200k out of it.

The 7.3 with a headstud change will run FOREVER.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Then why are you looking? It sounds like you already own the vehicle you seek.

My wife wants an upgrade with a new baby coming. I'll inherit the old manlyvan for sales calls and bouncing around town for crap that doesn't require heavy hauling. I'll pull the seats and throw a couple toolboxes back there too. Best of both worlds. You know how much diesel that F-350 eats?

stevieray
06-20-2012, 09:53 PM

...my wife has a '63

MIAdragon
06-20-2012, 09:54 PM
...my wife has a '63

Hey hows your daughter's little Honda?

Easy 6
Four grand? I would look for a 02, 03 lesabre with a 3.8 . And hope I got lucky
Posted via Mobile Device

Ah yes, every good mechanic knows how great that buick 3.8 is, they're friggin legendary.

Baconeater
My wife wants an upgrade with a new baby coming. I'll inherit the old manlyvan for sales calls and bouncing around town for crap that doesn't require heavy hauling. I'll pull the seats and throw a couple toolboxes back there too. Best of both worlds. You know how much diesel that F-350 eats?
Don't even want to know.

I just think 300k is an unrealistic expectation to place on a vehicle purchase. Yeah you'll typically get more miles out of Honda or Toyota but I have to think the vast majority never see that milestone. If the transmission explodes on your Sienna at 250k are you really going to dump a couple grand into that old of a vehicle to rebuild it?

stevieray
06-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Hey hows your daughter's little Honda?

doing great!!...thanks for asking

stevieray
06-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Ah yes, every good mechanic knows how great that buick 3.8 is, they're friggin legendary.
...that is a GREAT motor

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I've seen some do that, But they most generally have head gasket issues at some point. , the 6.0 is worse though
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 10:05 PM
The 7.3 with a headstud change will run FOREVER.

Yeah, after you spend 4 grand it will last till the turbo blows up
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
06-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Don't even want to know.

I just think 300k is an unrealistic expectation to place on a vehicle purchase. Yeah you'll typically get more miles out of Honda or Toyota but I have to think the vast majority never see that milestone. If the transmission explodes on your Sienna at 250k are you really going to dump a couple grand into that old of a vehicle to rebuild it?
Not a chance. I'll have one of the mechanics on my payroll pull one out of a junkyard. I don't think 300k is that unrealistic if you maintain a rice burner well. On the flip-side I rarely see a chrysler product surpassing 150k. If you were throwing 10k at a vehicle, would you buy something that has a chance of hitting 300k or something you know is gonna be done in 3 years? I've put tires, oil, shocks, plugs, a K&N AF and a battery on my Sienna for the last 135k over the past 7 years. That's it.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Not a chance. I'll have one of the mechanics on my payroll pull one out of a junkyard. I don't think 300k is that unrealistic if you maintain a rice burner well. On the flip-side I rarely see a chrysler product surpassing 150k. If you were throwing 10k at a vehicle, would you buy something that has a chance of hitting 300k or something you know is gonna be done in 3 years? I've put tires, oil, shocks, plugs, a K&N AF and a battery on my Sienna for the last 135k over the past 7 years. That's it. no timing belt?
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
06-20-2012, 10:12 PM
no timing belt?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bought it at 90. Had just been done. Time to do it again, no?

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Bought it at 90. Had just been done. Time to do it again, no?

Living on borrowed time IMO. Might be an interference motor...can't remember too lazy to goggle lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Not a chance. I'll have one of the mechanics on my payroll pull one out of a junkyard. I don't think 300k is that unrealistic if you maintain a rice burner well. On the flip-side I rarely see a chrysler product surpassing 150k. If you were throwing 10k at a vehicle, would you buy something that has a chance of hitting 300k or something you know is gonna be done in 3 years? I've put tires, oil, shocks, plugs, a K&N AF and a battery on my Sienna for the last 135k over the past 7 years. That's it.
I've had three Chrysler minivans surpass 150k. Got 220k out of my 92 cargo Caravan. And I have another one sitting in my driveway that I drive regularly. That is, as long as the electronics aren't screwing up, but it's at 181k and that's a recent development.

I may have had a fourth one do it, I don't remember what my 94 had for miles on it when I sold it but it had to be in that neighborhood.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 10:29 PM
I've had three Chrysler minivans surpass 150k. Got 220k out of my 92 cargo Caravan. And I have another one sitting in my driveway that I drive regularly. That is, as long as the electronics aren't screwing up, but it's at 181k and that's a recent development.

I may have had a fourth one do it, I don't remember what my 94 had for miles on it when I sold it but it had to be in that neighborhood.

I don't doubt you've had early 90's chrysler products perform very well. Seen any 200? versions do that well? Now, I'll acknowledge that many of them aren't old enough to have that many miles but I personally know 3 people who have so much maintenance money poured into their 200X T&C products they can't afford to dump them and they can't afford to keep them.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't doubt you've had early 90's chrysler products perform very well. Seen any 200? versions do that well? Now, I'll acknowledge that many of them aren't old enough to have that many miles but I personally know 3 people who have so much maintenance money poured into their 200X T&C products they can't afford to dump them and they can't afford to keep them.
I've got a 93 caravan sitting at my shop with a blown motor that was original and had 400 + on it when it let go.

body falling apart. But ran good until she blew a hose and cooked it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-20-2012, 10:35 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3071723339.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3090844984.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3090795176.html

The Sonota is a little overpriced but I would look at it. Too bad it is in KC.

Brock
06-20-2012, 10:38 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

We don't have that shit in Kansas.

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 10:38 PM
The early to mid 90s were very good outside of the shitty transmissions. Dunno about the 2000+ models, but I've been researching them a bit since I'll likely be looking fairly soon and that's probably what I'll end up with. Sounds like they do have a fair amount of A/C and various electronic gremlins, but they're pretty bulletproof drivetrain-wise. I think there's simply too much electronic bullcrap on cars today, I don't need freaking powered sliding doors for cryinoutloud.

Guru
06-20-2012, 10:40 PM
The early to mid 90s were very good outside of the shitty transmissions. Dunno about the 2000+ models, but I've been researching them a bit since I'll likely be looking fairly soon and that's probably what I'll end up with. Sounds like they do have a fair amount of A/C and various electronic gremlins, but they're pretty bulletproof drivetrain-wise. I think there's simply too much electronic bullcrap on cars today, I don't need freaking powered sliding doors for cryinoutloud.

That is one of the things I can't stand about our Odyssey. They are power doors or heaving fucking doors. The T&C were easy to open if you didn't use the power option. The Honda doors are heavy as shit if you don't use the power option.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
I think there's simply too much electronic bullcrap on cars today, I don't need freaking powered sliding doors for cryinoutloud.
Agreed. The auto door on our Sienna can be a little finicky in cold weather. I'd rather not have auto doors at all.

hometeam
06-20-2012, 10:52 PM
I should have jumped in on this thread way earlier.

I didnt read through the whole thing, seems like we are talking about chryslers being a POS (unless they are the straight 6 jeep motor I wouldnt touch em)

but in general, to OP;

Yes, people buy used cars without taking them to a mechanic. 95% of the used I sell does not go to an outside mechanic,of course coming from the dealership where it has just ran through the shop, people dont feel as much need too. As for private sales, I would say a slightly lower percentage of people buy without the mechanic, but most people do. For myself, I have done both. Took my (at the time) 190k mile Honda to my guy, and it cleared no problems, so bought it. On the other hand, I basically purchased my highly modified trans am over the internet, and only looked it over with a buddy before taking it.

For most people buying a car is all about emotion, and has little to do with much else, so it shouldnt be a surprise that people dont take cars to a mechanic.

That being said, anyone who wont let you take the car to your mechanic you might as well skip. If they dont trust it to be looked over by someone LOOKING for problems, just move on down the road.

Tombstone RJ
06-20-2012, 11:00 PM

ROFL

this

Tombstone RJ
06-20-2012, 11:01 PM

I'd never, ever buy a car with a title that shows it's been totaled, or a title that says it's been salvaged.

don't do it.

TrebMaxx
06-20-2012, 11:07 PM
I think the cash for clunkers program really screwed folks that need to get a cheap beater for a young first time driver. Not trying to make this a DC thing, just my opinion.

Easy 6
06-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I think the cash for clunkers program really screwed folks that need to get a cheap beater for a young first time driver. Not trying to make this a DC thing, just my opinion.

You're right, it did put a big hit on that market of back lot gems.

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't think there's any question about that. I was kind of curious about the actual number of vehicles that program took off the road, and while I can't seem to find anything concrete I'm seeing numbers as high as 750,000.

stevieray
06-20-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't think there's any question about that. I was kind of curious about the actual number of vehicles that program took off the road, and while I can't seem to find anything concrete I'm seeing numbers as high as 750,000.
I remember seeing a video of a Jeep GC with the oil drained, pedal to the metal and it took almost three minutes before the motor blew up...

:shake:

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 11:44 PM
I remember seeing a video of a Jeep GC with the oil drained, pedal to the metal and it took almost three minutes before the motor blew up...

:shake:
I think I saw that one too, they had a hell of time getting it to blow. It was pretty sickening to watch them ruin perfectly good cars.

ChiefButthurt
06-21-2012, 06:16 AM
This is how i roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGE1tqyyiRQ

Silock
06-21-2012, 06:27 AM
A dodge Cummins diesel.

See tons of them
Posted via Mobile Device

My 1998 GMC Jimmy has 235k on it right now, and still going strong.

Silock
06-21-2012, 06:29 AM

I think there are lots of vehicles that will do well if they're well-maintained. My car is a GM and although I will never, ever buy a GM vehicle (aside from a Vette), it's done surprisingly well.

And then, of course, there are some cars that are just pieces of shit, like Neons.

Guru
06-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Just curious,how many of you have actually owned a neon?

Silock
06-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Pick a better car. There are lots out there.

Msmith
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
I just brought my daughter about a month ago an 2005 Implala, 95k and paid $7400 for it. I took it to Car-X afterward, and the report was the ball bearing on the front. It cost $500 to fix. The dealer has a warranty for first 30 days so the car was fixed without any charge.

Now I read this thread and I called up my insurance agent to check if there is any history on total. The answer just came back and no. Thank you for all the useful info here.

Phobia
06-21-2012, 10:01 AM
My 1998 GMC Jimmy has 235k on it right now, and still going strong.

I had a 98 Blazer for about a year simply because I bought it from my MIL for exactly what she was going to get for trade-in and then turned around and made a couple bucks on it after driving it for a year. That vehicle was a disappointment not because it broke down or died but because it rode horribly, handled like crap, and was just inefficient overall. There were a dozen vehicles produced in its class that year and every single one of them was better in every regard. That said, I'm glad you've had good luck with regard to longevity on your Jimmy.

Phobia
06-21-2012, 10:02 AM
I just brought my daughter about a month ago an 2005 Implala, 95k and paid $7400 for it. I took it to Car-X afterward, and the report was the ball bearing on the front. It cost $500 to fix. The dealer has a warranty for first 30 days so the car was fixed without any charge.

Now I read this thread and I called up my insurance agent to check if there is any history on total. The answer just came back and no. Thank you for all the useful info here.
You want to buy a car from me?

Msmith
06-21-2012, 10:05 AM
You want to buy a car from me?

It depends. What is the catch?

Bearcat
06-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Slayer (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/private.php?do=newpm&u=1539) is selling a '93 Cutlass with around 115,000 miles on it... KBB is about $1700.

Lzen
06-21-2012, 11:43 AM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3069953047.html

JASONSAUTO
06-21-2012, 12:19 PM

WOW.

i just installed a precision hub assembly on a 2004 impala yesterday for less than $200.00 out the door.

Msmith
06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Car-X is somewhat expensive. But the mechanic is nice and he didn't charge me any thing for checking the car out.

Bwana
06-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Always spend a few bucks to take it to a mechanic to look at it. You don't have to have them check everything, but in a half an hour, they can tell you if there is anything major going on, if they are worth a damn. Normally $60 or less.

Silock
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I had a 98 Blazer for about a year simply because I bought it from my MIL for exactly what she was going to get for trade-in and then turned around and made a couple bucks on it after driving it for a year. That vehicle was a disappointment not because it broke down or died but because it rode horribly, handled like crap, and was just inefficient overall. There were a dozen vehicles produced in its class that year and every single one of them was better in every regard. That said, I'm glad you've had good luck with regard to longevity on your Jimmy.

It is definitely all of those things. Although, I do get about 16 mpg combined, so it could be worse. But it hauls the dogs well!

ChiefButthurt
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3069953047.html

Good find Lzen....Guru, if you're willing to gamble on a Dodge, I KNOW that this car must be worth a look.

MIAdragon
06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Get her something thats somewhat cool

http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3085072179.html

Brock
06-21-2012, 03:45 PM

I'd rather buy the Neon.

MIAdragon
06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
I'd rather buy the Neon.

That makes one of us.

Guru
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Good find Lzen....Guru, if you're willing to gamble on a Dodge, I KNOW that this car must be worth a look.

I'm trying to get a hold of them but I hate bidding on crap. Just put what you want. Watch, this will be another ad that goes unanswered.

Guru
06-21-2012, 05:51 PM

sounds like the tires will be expensive for it considering the modification they made. One thing I know for certain, I do not want a car that requires expensive tires. I just want standard touring tires.

Baconeater
06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm trying to get a hold of them but I hate bidding on crap. Just put what you want. Watch, this will be another ad that goes unanswered.
That pisses me off, this ain't eBay so put a fucking price on your shit. I flag those jackasses every time.

Guru
06-21-2012, 08:50 PM
That pisses me off, this ain't eBay so put a ****ing price on your shit. I flag those jackasses every time.

haven't heard a word yet

Baconeater
06-21-2012, 08:54 PM
haven't heard a word yet
You should send him a significantly higher offer with another email account. He's probably ignoring offers that he doesn't feel are good enough.

Gracie Dean
06-21-2012, 09:08 PM

I feel your pain. We just did that for our daughter last week!

Guru
06-21-2012, 09:25 PM
You should send him a significantly higher offer with another email account. He's probably ignoring offers that he doesn't feel are good enough.

I didn't send an offer. I asked if the car was still available and if he would be willing to submit it to a mechanical inspection. If the answer is no to either I am not wasting my time on an offer. I definitely am not making an offer without knowing more about it first.

Baconeater
06-21-2012, 09:38 PM
I didn't send an offer. I asked if the car was still available and if he would be willing to submit it to a mechanical inspection. If the answer is no to either I am not wasting my time on an offer. I definitely am not making an offer without knowing more about it first.
I am going to send an offer for $3000 just to see if he responds.

Guru
06-21-2012, 10:59 PM
For the gearheads...

Are any of these cars worth looking into?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=66611&endYear=2013&sortBy=mileageASC&startYear=1999&bodyStyles=COUPE%2C+SEDAN&numRecords=25&searchRadius=75&maxPrice=5000&showcaseOwnerId=77797&Log=0

Brock
06-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Used 1999 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

oh hell yes

Guru
06-22-2012, 12:28 AM

oh hell yes

I knew somebody would comment on that one. LMAO

Phobia
06-22-2012, 12:30 AM

oh hell yes

The back seat is pretty uncomfortable though.

Guru
06-22-2012, 12:33 AM
The back seat is pretty uncomfortable though.

Please share. :hmmm:

Silock
06-22-2012, 01:13 AM
For the gearheads...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=66611&endYear=2013&sortBy=mileageASC&startYear=1999&bodyStyles=COUPE%2C+SEDAN&numRecords=25&searchRadius=75&maxPrice=5000&showcaseOwnerId=77797&Log=0

The Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry or Solara pop out. You might be okay with the Escort ZX2 or Grand Am (I've had good luck with those cars in the past), but they're more of a gamble than the other options. I'd steer clear of the Kias and Mitsus, along with the Dodge/Chrysler options.

Guru
06-22-2012, 02:05 AM
The Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry or Solara pop out. You might be okay with the Escort ZX2 or Grand Am (I've had good luck with those cars in the past), but they're more of a gamble than the other options. I'd steer clear of the Kias and Mitsus, along with the Dodge/Chrysler options.

kind of surprised to see Escort and grand am on your list. I've always heard the pontiacs tend to crap out after 100k. Don't know much about escorts other than they are small.

Silock
06-22-2012, 02:34 AM
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not recommending them. I'm just saying you MIGHT get lucky with one of those if you don't want any of the other ones I saw on the list.

Guru
06-22-2012, 03:11 AM
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not recommending them. I'm just saying you MIGHT get lucky with one of those if you don't want any of the other ones I saw on the list.

Oh, I know. I'm just curious to see what jumps out at others on the board.

Appreciate your input.

Baconeater
06-22-2012, 03:50 AM
Did you hear anything? I did get a response to my offer. LMAO

Guru
06-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Did you hear anything? I did get a response to my offer. LMAO

nope. guess that is all I need to know.

burt
06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
For the gearheads...

yes

Guru
06-22-2012, 03:34 PM
yes

Thanks

stevieray
06-22-2012, 05:15 PM

oh hell yes

damn straight.

stevieray
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
kind of surprised to see Escort and grand am on your list. I've always heard the pontiacs tend to crap out after 100k. Don't know much about escorts other than they are small.

I've got a 1996 Grand Am with almost 200k...still runs great.

Guru
06-22-2012, 05:56 PM
damn straight.

Are you guys really serious about that or is it just becuase it was a police cruiser?

JASONSAUTO
06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
I've got a 1996 Grand Am with almost 200k...still runs great.

4 cyl?
Posted via Mobile Device

stevieray
06-22-2012, 06:06 PM
4 cyl?
Posted via Mobile Device

stevieray
06-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Are you guys really serious about that or is it just becuase it was a police cruiser?
beefed up suspension, excellent tranny, etc...I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

JASONSAUTO
06-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Better than the 3.4.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
06-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Well the cops will have trouble catching him in that thing, so you won't have to worry about him getting too many traffic tickets.

Brock
06-22-2012, 06:20 PM

Those are solid cars.

JASONSAUTO
06-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Those are solid cars.

Agreed, well unless it's just ragged the fuck out
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Wow. Getting a 9.2 rating on the consumer reviews on KBB.com

Guru
06-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Crap. Horrible gas mileage.

Brock
06-22-2012, 06:56 PM
In the price points you're shopping, compromises will have to be made. I'll bet the Vic is easier to insure. But like Jason alluded to, there's a good chance a car like that has been rode hard.

Baconeater
06-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Crap. Horrible gas mileage.
Yeah, a powerful V8 will do that.

Baconeater
06-22-2012, 07:00 PM
You should look at a small regular cab pickup for two reasons:

1. There's usually only room for one more person, so there's less chance he'll get in an accident because he was distracted by a carload of his idiot friends.

2. You'll have a pickup to use when you need one.

Guru
06-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Hey, got a response on the Toyota. shocking

They are fine with having a mechanic look at it but somebody is coming to look at it tomorrow morning. If that is true at all. heh

Damn if I don't hate waiting for email responses. Just give me a phone number damnit.

Guru
06-22-2012, 07:04 PM
You should look at a small regular cab pickup for two reasons:

1. There's usually only room for one more person, so there's less chance he'll get in an accident because he was distracted by a carload of his idiot friends.

2. You'll have a pickup to use when you need one.

if those trucks were not huge traction problems in the winter I would be ok with that. Wish they would just make the small trucks front wheel drive.

Baconeater
06-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Hey, got a response on the Toyota. shocking

They are fine with having a mechanic look at it but somebody is coming to look at it tomorrow morning. If that is true at all. heh

Damn if I don't hate waiting for email responses. Just give me a phone number damnit.
I have her phone number. :evil:

if those trucks were not huge traction problems in the winter I would be ok with that. Wish they would just make the small trucks front wheel drive.
Eh, that's true. My truck is freaking worthless in the snow.

Guru
06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I have her phone number. :evil:

Eh, that's true. My truck is freaking worthless in the snow.

so give me her damn number.

Baconeater
06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
so give me her damn number.

Her name is Katie. She told me she'd take $2800 for it.

Guru
06-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Her name is Katie. She told me she'd take $2800 for it.

Uhh, might want to take that number down now. heh

Baconeater
06-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Uhh, might want to take that number down now. heh
LMAO Anyone could get it by emailing her via the Craigslist ad that's linked in this thread.

Guru
06-22-2012, 07:32 PM
LMAO Anyone could get it by emailing her via the Craigslist ad that's linked in this thread.

I never saw a number associate with that link.

Baconeater
06-22-2012, 07:39 PM
I never saw a number associate with that link.
Are you going to call her?

Guru
06-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Are you going to call her?

meeting them at 8:30 to test drive and get the VIN

Brock
06-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Good deal, hope it works out.

Okie_Apparition
06-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Any vehicle that goes from cold to 75
isn't something I'd want any part of

Guru
06-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Any vehicle that goes from cold to 75
isn't something I'd want any part of

uhhhh wha?

Okie_Apparition
06-22-2012, 08:07 PM
had just read up to police interceptor

Easy 6
06-22-2012, 08:07 PM
uhhhh wha?

blueballs has upped his acid intake considerably of late.

Okie_Apparition
06-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I'll teach you malanthorpes cognitive thinking yet

Guru
06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
It is a salvage title for total loss due to flood back in 2004. Runs well and the interior is decent. No smell at all. Owner states they have only had to change the oil and replace a tire on it. Mentioned that they have noticed a little oil burnoff but no leaks under the car. Also mentioned that it sometimes hesitates during acceleration. I never noticed it on my test drive though.

Looks like the potential issue is transmission.

Told them to call me if the person looking at it tomorrow isn't interested and I would take it to a mechanic to verify if there is a huge potential problem.

My gut tells me to stay away from a flood car though.

Silock
06-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Those are solid cars.

Solid but get like 12 mpg. Terrible. So heavy.

Easy 6
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
It is a salvage title for total loss due to flood back in 2004. Runs well and the interior is decent. No smell at all. Owner states they have only had to change the oil and replace a tire on it. Mentioned that they have noticed a little oil burnoff but no leaks under the car. Also mentioned that it sometimes hesitates during acceleration. I never noticed it on my test drive though.

Told them to call me if the person looking at it tomorrow isn't interested and I would take it to a mechanic to verify if there is a huge potential problem.

Personally, i would forget it the moment i found out, simply on principle, as Remo Gaggi once said ... i say, why take a chance?

MIAdragon
06-22-2012, 09:18 PM

You never know when the electrical gremlins will appear from a flood car, and they WILL appear. Let someone else buy this problem.

Guru
06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
You never know when the electrical gremlins will appear from a flood car, and they WILL appear. Let someone else buy this problem.

Seems like they would have shown up by now. It's been 8 years. Not saying I definitely want it but I feel more comfortable with a toyota than most of the other cars I have looked at.

We do have our eye on a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero with 140k miles for 3200 but the check engine light and check brake lights are on. Dealer is looking into the check engine but said the brake is due to speed sensors that need replaced. There is also a huge crack in the windshield on the drivers side. Don't know what I could talk them down to though. Title is stellar on it.

Brock
06-22-2012, 09:35 PM

I don't know where you're getting that figure from.

JASONSAUTO
06-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Seems like they would have shown up by now. It's been 8 years. Not saying I definitely want it but I feel more comfortable with a toyota than most of the other cars I have looked at.

We do have our eye on a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero with 140k miles for 3200 but the check engine light and check brake lights are on. Dealer is looking into the check engine but said the brake is due to speed sensors that need replaced. There is also a huge crack in the windshield on the drivers side. Don't know what I could talk them down to though. Title is stellar on it.
Motor on the alero? Abs light on?
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't know where you're getting that figure from.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/1999_Ford_Crown_Victoria.shtml

14 city
20 highway

JASONSAUTO
06-22-2012, 09:38 PM

No. In fact I'm probably getting ready to buy a 96 impala ss, he gets around seventeen
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Motor on the alero? Abs light on?
Posted via Mobile Device

pretty sure it is a 4 speed automatic. Yes ABS light.

MIAdragon
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
No. In fact I'm probably getting ready to buy a 96 impala ss, he gets around seventeen
Posted via Mobile Device

Heh better than the 9 Im getting from my CTS-V.

JASONSAUTO
06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
pretty sure it is a 4 speed automatic. Yes ABS light.

Motor, not Trans...

abs light could also be a broken wire where they flex between the lower control arm and steering knuckle
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Very common on g m products
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Motor, not Trans...

abs light could also be a broken wire where they flex between the lower control arm and steering knuckle
Posted via Mobile Device

2.4l if it is the 4 speed. 3.4 if it is the V6

They agreed to check out the lights for me but sounds like they won't repair whatever is found.

JASONSAUTO
06-22-2012, 09:58 PM
2.4l if it is the 4 speed. 3.4 if it is the V6

They agreed to check out the lights for me but sounds like they won't repair whatever is found.

Ooh you mean 4 cylinder.

If it's the 2.4 have a competent mechanic listen to the timing chain area , a good mechanic that's experienced with these will know why and what to listen for. And have the water pump looked at well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Ooh you mean 4 cylinder.

If it's the 2.4 have a competent mechanic listen to the timing chain area , a good mechanic that's experienced with these will know why and what to listen for. And have the water pump looked at well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't know why I put 4 speed in there. In my mind I was seeing 4 banger. LMAO

Thanks for the advice!!

Silock
06-22-2012, 11:30 PM
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/1999_Ford_Crown_Victoria.shtml

14 city
20 highway

And that's a best case scenario.

Silock
06-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

He must drive like a grandma.

Guru
06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Looks like the Alero is out. The dealership refuses to hook it up to a machine to verify why both lights are on. I'm fine with $40 for a mechanic to look it over but not an additional $40 to find out why the lights are on.

JASONSAUTO
06-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Nope.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Heh, mechanic told me "don't even bother bringing that Toyota in. Run from any car that was totaled due to flood."

Baconeater
06-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Heh, mechanic told me "don't even bother bringing that Toyota in. Run from any car that was totaled due to flood."
I wouldn't be as hesitant if the price reflected the fact that it was totaled once, but I ran that thing through kbb.com and they're wanting clean title value for it.

And that broad should've mentioned in the ad that it has a salvage title.

MIAdragon
06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Looks like the Alero is out. The dealership refuses to hook it up to a machine to verify why both lights are on. I'm fine with $40 for a mechanic to look it over but not an additional $40 to find out why the lights are on.

Thats bullshit.

Brock
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM

You don't know what you're talking about.

Guru
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't be as hesitant if the price reflected the fact that it was totaled once, but I ran that thing through kbb.com and they're wanting clean title value for it.

She said they have had 30 calls on it and only 4 have even come to look at it. The guy looking at it today passed because he is looking for a car that can handle a Hays commute.

I noticed the KBB thing too. Mechanic said he wouldn't recommend buying a flood car at any price and he knows it has been 8 years since it was damaged.

Brock
06-23-2012, 02:29 PM
It just depends on what they mean by flood damage. If the water didn't get much above the floor, I wouldn't worry about it.

Guru
06-23-2012, 02:30 PM
It just depends on what they mean by flood damage. If the water didn't get much above the floor, I wouldn't worry about it.

Unfortunately she has no idea about that because she only owned it for the last year. No way to get that info at all. Car was totaled at the 5 year mark so it had to be significant.

Baconeater
06-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Huh, who buys a car and only keeps it a year if there's nothing wrong with it? I bet it's starting to act up on her so she's wanting to dump it.

MIAdragon
06-23-2012, 02:34 PM

:thumb:

Brock
06-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I'd just keep looking. It bothers me more that they want to get rid of it after only a year than any of the other things about it. They're acting flaky if you ask me.

Guru
06-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Huh, who buys a car and only keeps it a year if there's nothing wrong with it? I bet it's starting to act up on her so she's wanting to dump it.

I've run into that three times already. The owner of the Neon only had it 8 months.

Just ran across a 1996 Grand Am with less than 80k on it. Have to wait until Monday to see it though.

Guru
06-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I'd just keep looking. It bothers me more that they want to get rid of it after only a year than any of the other things about it. They're acting flaky if you ask me.

No, she got a job in KC so they purchased a newer car for the commute which I also saw. I really don't feel like they are being dishonest at all. Doesn't mean I am not misjudging them though. Hell, she was the one that told me about it being a flood car. If they were flakey they would not have even mentioned it.

Baconeater
06-23-2012, 02:38 PM
When we were looking for cars for my wife back in 2009 we found an '04 G6 she really liked. Got the carfax and found out it already had four owners. Uhhhh...pass.

Guru
06-23-2012, 02:39 PM
When we were looking for cars for my wife back in 2009 we found an '04 G6 she really liked. Got the carfax and found out it already had four owners. Uhhhh...pass.

sometimes they count the dealer as an owner. I've seen that several times.

Baconeater
06-23-2012, 02:40 PM
No, she got a job in KC so they purchased a newer car for the commute which I also saw. I really don't feel like they are being dishonest at all. Doesn't mean I am not misjudging them though. Hell, she was the one that told me about it being a flood car. If they were flakey they would not have even mentioned it.
The fact that it has a salvage title was going to come up at some point. It's better to just be up front about that sort of thing so you don't waste your own time and someone else's that is going to have a problem with it.

Baconeater
06-23-2012, 02:42 PM
sometimes they count the dealer as an owner. I've seen that several times.
Dealers generally don't hold title on a car, they just reassign them. At least that's how it works in NE, that may vary by state.

Guru
06-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Dealers generally don't hold title on a car, they just reassign them. At least that's how it works in NE, that may vary by state.

must be a Kansas thing then. When we were looking for our van in 2009 I saw it a lot.

Guru
06-23-2012, 03:09 PM
The fact that it has a salvage title was going to come up at some point. It's better to just be up front about that sort of thing so you don't waste your own time and someone else's that is going to have a problem with it.

Which is why I didn't feel like they were being flaky or dishonest. They disclosed that it is a salvage and told me about the acceleration issue as well as the oil burn off.

Doesn't matter now anyway. No way was I going to offer them 2800.

Brock
06-23-2012, 03:21 PM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3087863666.html

Little over budget, but nice.

Guru
06-23-2012, 03:26 PM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3087863666.html

Little over budget, but nice.

hmmmm. don't know that the wife will go for that price. I already told her I would rather pay the difference over what he can't afford but she would rather have him pay back a loan to us. Guess I will have to see if she will give in on it.

Silock
06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
You don't know what you're talking about.

Look at the gas mileage reports of owners on forums. When owners get 17 mpg city and 24 highway, they say they hardly ever put their foot in it. When they do, the mileage drops significantly. That's not uncommon for the LT1.

MIAdragon
06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3062238930.html

MIAdragon
06-23-2012, 03:33 PM
You HAVE to take him to look at this just to see his reaction.

http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3029432855.html

Guru
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3062238930.html

first, its a V8. Second, for a teen? No way. heh

MIAdragon
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3011734738.html

MIAdragon
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
first, its a V8. Second, for a teen? No way. heh

Its an auto car with NO power. Its easy/cheap to work on, will run forever and the resale is very good.

Guru
06-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Its an auto car with NO power. Its easy/cheap to work on, will run forever and the resale is very good.

One thing I know he wants is good gas mileage. That would be a gas hog.

Guru
06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/3011734738.html

thanks. emailed.

Guru
06-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Kids. He doesn't want to look at the 96 Grand Am because he thinks 90s grand ams are ugly.

TrebMaxx
06-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Kids. He doesn't want to look at the 96 Grand Am because he thinks 90s grand ams are ugly.
Do like my parents did. Say if you don't like it then save your own money and buy what you want. They paid for my first car and I had to make payments to them to pay it back but I didn't get much input on which car I ended up with.

Guru
06-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Do like my parents did. Say if you don't like it then save your own money and buy what you want. They paid for my first car and I had to make payments to them to pay it back but I didn't get much input on which car I ended up with.

He is spending up to 2800 of his own money so he gets a say.

MIAdragon
06-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Smart kid.

TrebMaxx
06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
He is spending up to 2800 of his own money so he gets a say.

:thumb: I missed that! Carry on!

Guru
06-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Smart kid.

Oh come on. They are not ugly. Just not as sleek as todays cars. Having a hard time passing on such a low mileage car. I'll keep working on him to at least look at it.

R8RFAN
06-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Craigslist has the most overpriced junk I have ever seen.... That cash for clunkers shit really destroyed the used car market.

R8RFAN
06-24-2012, 12:58 PM
The best cheapest vehicle for the money right now is on used explorers...
Lots of them 90's models still on the road, and parts are cheap & plentiful.

Brock
06-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Craigslist has the most overpriced junk I have ever seen....

What do you mean by this? It's no different than classified ads in a newspaper.

R8RFAN
06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
What do you mean by this? It's no different than classified ads in a newspaper.

I think it's worse actually because it's free.... Between the fake scam ads to the 20k vehicles with 287k miles on them, the place just bugs me

Guru
06-24-2012, 01:53 PM
The best cheapest vehicle for the money right now is on used explorers...
Lots of them 90's models still on the road, and parts are cheap & plentiful.

gas hogs

R8RFAN
06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
gas hogs

Yes 17-19
But no truck of any kind gets good gas mileage.... 4/6 or 8 cyl

Get a small car so the gas don't eat him alive.

R8RFAN
06-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Why in the hell do they not make a small diesel truck?

Phobia
06-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Why in the hell do they not make a small diesel truck?

Been done and failed to sell. I'd like to get my hands on a little early 80's VW truck. They're essentially the Rabbit front clip with a bed on them. The diesel version gets nearly 50 MPG. But they're also collector's items so quite pricey.

R8RFAN
06-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Been done and failed to sell. I'd like to get my hands on a little early 80's VW truck. They're essentially the Rabbit front clip with a bed on them. The diesel version gets nearly 50 MPG. But they're also collector's items so quite pricey.

I know the truck well, Hell I would like to find an 80's Diesel Rabbit to drive to work and back 60 miles per day

Baconeater
06-24-2012, 02:34 PM
I think it's worse actually because it's free.... Between the fake scam ads to the 20k vehicles with 287k miles on them, the place just bugs me
It IS annoying, but if you spend enough time sifting through the bullshit, and are ready to bolt out the door with cash in hand at a moment's notice, you can find good deals there.

R8RFAN
06-24-2012, 02:37 PM
It IS annoying, but if you spend enough time sifting through the bullshit, and are ready to bolt out the door with cash in hand at a moment's notice, you can find good deals there.

I have gotten good deals on a tiller and phones but never bought a car there

R8RFAN
06-24-2012, 02:47 PM
My 94 Mazda b2300 has 201xxx on it and it's gonna need a 5 speed transmission soon...
I paid 1000 bucks for it like 5 years ago and put @ 60k on it... Only thing I did to it is wheel bearings and brakes so I have gotten my money out of it.

Bad part is the truck only gets 23mpg and that is what the book says it is suppose to get, hell if I am only gonna get 23 I may as well get a full size truck. So I am in a Dilemma... I am this close to going to the Toyota dealership and just buying one straight out and get it over with but I can't seem to bring myself to do it.

qabbaan
06-24-2012, 03:17 PM
I thought that environmental hurdles were too difficult for new diesel vehicles coming into the US at some price points.

In Australia there is the Toyota Hilux, which is a lot like a Tacoma but has a diesel engine. They make about 250 lb/ft of torque, which is not a ton but isn't that far off from the base model engines in American full size trucks. It would pretty good for most people's needs and probably would last forever. I'd like to have one.

I can see why they think these wouldn't sell in America, people would complain that they were 'slow', despite the overall capability.

Guru
06-24-2012, 03:22 PM
My 94 Mazda b2300 has 201xxx on it and it's gonna need a 5 speed transmission soon...
I paid 1000 bucks for it like 5 years ago and put @ 60k on it... Only thing I did to it is wheel bearings and brakes so I have gotten my money out of it.

Bad part is the truck only gets 23mpg and that is what the book says it is suppose to get, hell if I am only gonna get 23 I may as well get a full size truck. So I am in a Dilemma... I am this close to going to the Toyota dealership and just buying one straight out and get it over with but I can't seem to bring myself to do it.

is that city or highway?

R8RFAN
06-24-2012, 03:27 PM
is that city or highway?

Actually about half and half ....

http://s7.postimage.org/femq1ghln/Capture.jpg