PDA

View Full Version : Life For the car experts

TrebMaxx
06-20-2012, 07:08 PM
My mother in-law has a 97 Camaro with the V-6 3.8 liter. It appears that the fuel pump has crapped out. I looked it up on how to change it and by the description it is more than I want to take on. What should be a fair price for a pro to do the job?

TYIA

Phobia
06-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Whatever Jasonsauto charges plus a couple gallons of alternator fluid.

Baconeater
06-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Most fuel pumps are a couple hundred bucks, and probably at least a couple hundred in labor. Plus mark-up and taxes and etc.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Would your mother-in-law be interested in parting with the a couple of games this fall?

TrebMaxx
06-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Whatever Jasonsauto charges plus a couple gallons of alternator fluid.

I was hoping JA would chime in actually. If there was a way to get it to his shop, he would get the business.

Brock
06-20-2012, 08:01 PM
LOL. I had one a few years ago, the fuel pump went out when I was cleaning it up for sale. The shop I took it to told me you have to pull the rear end and exhaust out in order to drop the gas tank, hundreds of dollars in labor, etc. I realized that the fuel pump was right under the rear deck sheet metal, so I just cut a 6" x 6" hole in it and pulled the pump straight up out of the tank. Fashioned a replacement piece of sheetmetal, screwed in in place, rolled the carpet back over it, project done. Check the camaro boards, there's lots of step by step instructions.

TrebMaxx
06-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Most fuel pumps are a couple hundred bucks, and probably at least a couple hundred in labor. Plus mark-up and taxes and etc.

I saw that the pump go for around $160 to $300+. I figure the labor will be more than the part but not sure. Thanks for the input.

TrebMaxx
06-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Would your mother-in-law be interested in parting with the a couple of games this fall?

I am sure that if she had tickets for games this fall she would gladly give them up to have this go away. They are on a fixed income and me and the Mrs. might have to help them out with this one. :(

TrebMaxx
06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
LOL. I had one a few years ago, the fuel pump went out when I was cleaning it up for sale. The shop I took it to told me you have to pull the rear end and exhaust out in order to drop the gas tank, hundreds of dollars in labor, etc. I realized that the fuel pump was right under the rear deck sheet metal, so I just cut a 6" x 6" hole in it and pulled the pump straight up out of the tank. Fashioned a replacement piece of sheetmetal, screwed in in place, rolled the carpet back over it, project done. Check the camaro boards, there's lots of step by step instructions.

Thanks for the advice. I did read some Camaro fanboy boards on cutting a hole in the rear deck but I don't want to tackle even that. We might find some mechanic locally that would do it though. I suggested it to my father in-law as an option to save some coin.

Phobia
06-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I am sure that if she had tickets for games this fall she would gladly give them up to have this go away. They are on a fixed income and me and the Mrs. might have to help them out with this one. :(

How can she own a camaro and not be a STH?

TrebMaxx
06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
How can she own a camaro and not be a STH?

Good question! ROFL

tecumseh
06-20-2012, 08:31 PM

This is some great stuff. Kudos.

MIAdragon
06-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. I did read some Camaro fanboy boards on cutting a hole in the rear deck but I don't want to tackle even that. We might find some mechanic locally that would do it though. I suggested it to my father in-law as an option to save some coin.

I've don't the fuel door "flapper" mod on a few cars. Its makes changing the pump 1000 times easier. Rock Auto has that pump for 130 btw.

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 09:50 PM
LOL. I had one a few years ago, the fuel pump went out when I was cleaning it up for sale. The shop I took it to told me you have to pull the rear end and exhaust out in order to drop the gas tank, hundreds of dollars in labor, etc. I realized that the fuel pump was right under the rear deck sheet metal, so I just cut a 6" x 6" hole in it and pulled the pump straight up out of the tank. Fashioned a replacement piece of sheetmetal, screwed in in place, rolled the carpet back over it, project done. Check the camaro boards, there's lots of step by step instructions. I don't do them this way...
but I'm a professional shop too. I also don'tdrop the rear end. But the rear of the exhaust has to come off. And them I drop the tank down and fish the pump assembly out.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
if I had to do it at home I would think about a door though
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
06-20-2012, 10:50 PM
if I had to do it at home I would think about a door though
Posted via Mobile Device

It's stupid that they didn't just put one there by design. I installed one on my GM pickup too.

TrebMaxx
06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Finding someone to cut into the rear deck is sounding much better. First estimate $1050.

Detoxing
06-21-2012, 11:29 AM

I've done this to my bird as well.

Also, You can purchase a Walbro fuel pump from Summitracing for maybe 60 bucks and swap it out with the pump that's inside the assembly. It's a pain in the ass, but if cheap is what you're looking for.....

What could've cost me about $1K to do, ended up costing me 60 bucks and about 2 hours of my time.

Just make sure you read up on how to do it. Make sure you find the guide for your model year. I THINK it was 93-98, which had the metal tanks, and 99-02 switched to plastic. The pump assembly is in a different location for each tank.

1. Make sure your interior is covered so your not getting metal in your seats.

2. Make sure you vacuum up the shavings before you remove the assembly. If you get shavings inside your tank, that could cause some serious damage.

Detoxing
06-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Oh, and if you find someone to cut it, make sure they're not some redneck do it yourself-er that just goes in there and starts cutting away.

There is only a 1/2" gap between the sheetmetal on the hatch floor and your tank. They need to go in there, measure it out (mark it properly, failure to do so could end up in a cut fuel line and now you're doubly ****ed) and cut lightly with a small cutting wheel.

You'll also need a special tool for removing the assembly. Either that or a rubber mallet and a pick along with some brute force.

Lastly, lol, turn it into a trap door. Just get a piece of metal to fit over the opening, apply velcro, and Bahm, now you have easy access to your fuel pump if it goes bad again.

tooge
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
I stopped reading at "with a V-6". Thats blasphemy. scrap it.

TrebMaxx
06-21-2012, 11:49 AM

The MIL is 72 years old. I don't think she needs the V-8. She just likes it because it's a convertible.

Brock
06-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Ha. That corporate GM v6 is one of the best, most reliable engines detroit ever made.

Detoxing
06-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Ha. That corporate GM v6 is one of the best, most reliable engines detroit ever made.

Yup.