PDA

View Full Version : Religion Study Finds People Who Believe In Heaven Commit More Crimes

chasedude
06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/06/22/study-finds-people-who-believe-in-heaven-commit-more-crimes/

SEATTLE (CBS Seattle) — Believing if you are on a “highway to hell” could impact whether or not if you commit a crime.

A study published in the scientific journal PLoS One by University of Oregon’s Azim Shariff and University of Kansas’s Mijke Rhemtulla finds that people who believe in hell are less likely to commit a crime while people who believe in heaven more likely are to get in trouble with the law.

The two professors collected data for belief in hell, heaven and God from the World and European Values Surveys that were conducted between 1981 until 2007 with 143,197 participants based in 67 countries. They compared the data to the mean standardized crime rate in those countries based on homicides, robberies, rapes, kidnappings, assaults, thefts, auto thefts, drug crimes, burglaries and human trafficking.

“[R]ates of belief in heaven and hell had significant, unique, and opposing effects on crime rates,” Shariff and Rhemtulla found in the study. “Belief in hell predicted lower crime rates … whereas belief in heaven predicted higher crime rates.”

They also found that a recent social psychological experiment found that Christian participants who believe in a forgiving God gave themselves more money for the study.

“Participants in the punishing God and both human conditions overpaid themselves less than 50 cents more than what they deserved for their anagrams, and did not statistically differ from the neutral condition, those who wrote about a forgiving God overpaid themselves significantly more-nearly two dollars,” the study found.

Shariff and Rhemtulla believe that the study raises “important questions about the potential impact of religious beliefs on global crime.”

chasedude
06-23-2012, 06:04 PM
So where do the agnostic and atheists fit in then?

listopencil
06-23-2012, 07:41 PM
So where do the agnostic and atheists fit in then?

Parking tickets?

La literatura
06-23-2012, 07:45 PM
I met a group of people recently who believed that they had been saved. Period. It was this idea that once you got over the "saved" hurdle, there was no going back. They all had a particular date and time for when they were saved, too. "I was saved in my living room, on June 14th, 1992, at 8:30pm." Stuff like that. There's no going back to pre-saveddom. It was a license to lie, cheat, and steal. It's not like they were going to kill people, but they didn't have to worry about playing on the same social field as the rest of us heathens.

notorious
06-23-2012, 08:45 PM
I met a group of people recently who believed that they had been saved. Period. It was this idea that once you got over the "saved" hurdle, there was no going back. They all had a particular date and time for when they were saved, too. "I was saved in my living room, on June 14th, 1992, at 8:30pm." Stuff like that. There's no going back to pre-saveddom. It was a license to lie, cheat, and steal. It's not like they were going to kill people, but they didn't have to worry about playing on the same social field as the rest of us heathens.

That is scary. There are some real nutjobs out there.

Brock
06-23-2012, 09:33 PM

It isn't a whole lot nuttier than getting a clean slate every week by saying some mantra over and over as many times as the priest said you had to.

La literatura
06-23-2012, 09:58 PM
It isn't a whole lot nuttier than getting a clean slate every week by saying some mantra over and over as many times as the priest said you had to.

Oh, definitely. Wait - who believes that?

Brock
06-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Oh, definitely. Wait - who believes that?

LMAO

AustinChief
06-24-2012, 12:05 AM

Except that isn't how it works. I have never met a Catholic who thinks or acts as if that is how it works. I have only heard this from people who are ignorant of the Catholic Church.

If any Catholic actually believes this, they are possibly retarded.

Mr. Kotter
06-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Except that isn't how it works. I have never met a Catholic who thinks or acts as if that is how it works. I have only heard this from people who are ignorant of the Catholic Church.

In my experience, then....the area a WHOLE LOT of retarded Catholics. NTTAWWT. Just sayin'.... :shrug:

Of course, there IS a difference between country-club Catholics, and trailer-park and working-class "Catholics"....

AustinChief
06-24-2012, 01:33 AM
In my experience, then....the area a WHOLE LOT of retarded Catholics. NTTAWWT. Just sayin'.... :shrug:

That may well be true! But it's important to remember that they are WRONG.. that isn't what the Church teaches or believes.

notorious
06-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Was this study done in the Middle East? LMAO

Brock
06-24-2012, 10:51 AM

You're missing the point, which is "Catholic guys says these people believe some weird shit".

Msmith
06-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Let us play this game further.

Base on two assumptions:

1. There is a heaven after life on earth.

2. Once a person is saved, then no matter what one does on earth, one will have a sure ticket to heaven.

If this person later on renounces his faith, would the sure-to-heaven contract be voided?