PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Newsroom. Anyone watching?

BigRedChief
06-25-2012, 06:10 PM
First episode looks promising. I love excellent TV writing.

JASONSAUTO
06-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Got it on the DVR. Didn't have a chance to watch it yet
Posted via Mobile Device

bowener
06-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I enjoyed it.

|Zach|
06-25-2012, 09:13 PM
It has been hit pretty hard in a lot of reviews but I like it a whole lot.

Can't wait for the next episode.

La literatura
06-26-2012, 12:09 AM
I would definitely watch it if I had HBO or had friends who had HBO.

Bowser
06-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Got it on the DVR. Didn't have a chance to watch it yet

Me too.

Bambi
06-26-2012, 11:52 AM
It was very good. But not a "long run" type of show. Has too much of a cinema feel. But for 2-3 seasons it's going to be pretty great.

gblowfish
06-26-2012, 12:05 PM
We were talking about this at work. Sorkin wrote this episode. He can be a little liberal preachy in his story telling. Some of the dialogue in the negotiation between Jeff Daniels and his ex-girlfriend/Executive Producer chick comes off like a high school commencement address.

Also, the camera on tracks following people as they walk down hallways -ala West Wing- gets a little annoying when it's over done. Sorkin loves this effect for some reason, I think he over-does it.

Otherwise, thought the show was OK, but didn't have the authentic feel of The West Wing. I love Jeff Daniels as an actor. He was outstanding as Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain in "Gettysburg." Pit that against his part in "Dumb and Dumber" and that shows his crazy range.

And the chicks were hot.

Great Expectations
06-26-2012, 12:19 PM
I thought it was great, and it should lean left. It is a show about a newsroom that isn't Faux News.

Omaha
06-26-2012, 12:23 PM
I loved it.

BigRedChief
06-26-2012, 04:57 PM
It has been hit pretty hard in a lot of reviews but I like it a whole lot.

Can't wait for the next episode.Its better than 90% of TV already. Fuck the reviewers.

Aries Walker
06-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Me too. I can't wait for next Sunday.

Also, Sam Waterston was a Marine and will kick the shit out of you. He doesn't care how many energy bars you eat.

Bambi
06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Me too. I can't wait for next Sunday.

Also, Sam Waterston was a Marine and will kick the shit out of you. He doesn't care how many energy bars you eat.

Is he trying to play a drunk or did he just get really old?

I can't tell.

Aries Walker
06-26-2012, 05:37 PM
I suspect both.

Scott Pilgrim
06-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Alison Pill being on my screen is never a bad thing

Great Expectations
06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Is he trying to play a drunk or did he just get really old?

I can't tell.

Yes

Buck
07-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Just watched the first episode. Pretty good.

Bambi
07-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I take it back. This show sucks.

cosmo20002
07-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Haven't watched the 2nd one yet, but that Aaron Sorkin-style writing, where is sounds like two people having a conversation that only Aaron Sorkin would write--I just find that grating.

WoodDraw
07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
I've been a big Sorkin fan in the past. Sports Night was great, the West Wing was brilliant. But so far, Newsroom isn't working. It could be renamed Aaron Sorkin's Civic Lessons Hour.

The West Wing, even as as a show about politics, never was this in your face. It was always about the characters. The dialogue was better too. Still typical Sorkin, but not so obviously fake and forced.

I'll give it time though. I've heard the writing gets better over the next couple episodes.

Bambi
07-02-2012, 10:44 AM
I've been a big Sorkin fan in the past. Sports Night was great, the West Wing was brilliant. But so far, Newsroom isn't working. It could be renamed Aaron Sorkin's Civic Lessons Hour.

The West Wing, even as as a show about politics, never was this in your face. It was always about the characters. The dialogue was better too. Still typical Sorkin, but not so obviously fake and forced.

I'll give it time though. I've heard the writing gets better over the next couple episodes.

I LOATHE the type of dialogue that was used in last night's episode. We all know what it's trying to be...quick, witty and smart with a dash of humor.

It's very little of that. I found none of it funny or charming. Instead felt over acted and self-important.

gblowfish
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I predict some grudge fucking will go on soon.

vailpass
07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
If it makes a second season I'll be surprised.

BigRedChief
07-02-2012, 03:51 PM

I'll give it time though. I've heard the writing gets better over the next couple episodes.Sports night and West Wing were not that great our of the gate either. They both had to find their footing. I'm sure they see what we see. Some stuff is not working, some is etc.

BigRedChief
07-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I LOATHE the type of dialogue that was used in last night's episode. We all know what it's trying to be...quick, witty and smart with a dash of humor.WTF?:shake:

What did you expect? Thats classic Sorkin, thats what he does.

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-02-2012, 03:58 PM
So skip this? Haven't tuned in yet, but it's easy to catch up.

Bambi
07-02-2012, 04:12 PM
WTF?:shake:

What did you expect? Thats classic Sorkin, thats what he does.

I really liked Social Network. It was the same schtick but felt natural and not forced.

Emily Mortimer isn't a complete failure but whats up with all the body swaying expressions. It's a bit comical.

|Zach|
07-02-2012, 04:32 PM
If it makes a second season I'll be surprised.

Newsroom gets picked up for 2nd season.

http://media.avclub.com/images/408/408649/16x9/627.jpg

http://www.avclub.com/articles/hbo-renews-the-newsroom-and-true-blood,82041/

vailpass
07-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Newsroom gets picked up for 2nd season.

http://media.avclub.com/images/408/408649/16x9/627.jpg

http://www.avclub.com/articles/hbo-renews-the-newsroom-and-true-blood,82041/

Doesn't surprise me.

|Zach|
07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Doesn't surprise me.

LMAO

blaise
07-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Haven't watched the 2nd one yet, but that Aaron Sorkin-style writing, where is sounds like two people having a conversation that only Aaron Sorkin would write--I just find that grating.

For once I agree with you on something. I do not enjoy his style of writing.

vailpass
07-02-2012, 05:00 PM
LMAO

Had no idea they decided after one episode to pickup new shows for a second season unless they were obvious hits.

|Zach|
07-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Had no idea they decided after one episode to pickup new shows for a second season unless they were obvious hits.

HBO usually gets out in front of things. They also seem more likely to give things time based on their investments. I was pleasantly surprised to see that news though didn't expect it so soon.

Baby Lee
07-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Newsroom. Anyone watching?

I would be, if I weren't standing in a field in the middle of AFGANISTAN!!!!!*

* - I don't get 'who's on first' either.

Thig Lyfe
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
I would be, if I weren't standing in a field in the middle of AFGANISTAN!!!!!*

* - I don't get 'who's on first' either.

QUICK! Somebody do a Gilbert & Sullivan parody!

Also, the first episode of Newsroom was pretty bad. I've heard the second episode is even worse. I can't wait to watch it all!!!

Aries Walker
07-06-2012, 05:04 AM
I thought the first one was pretty good, but yeah, the second was decidedly less so.

Baby Lee
07-06-2012, 07:08 PM
I thought the first one was pretty good, but yeah, the second was decidedly less so.

'Less so' meaning 'too Sorkin-ey' or just plain blah?

Great Expectations
07-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Blah, weak story, poor direction, acting was sub par. First episode was great in those respects.

ChiefsFanatic
07-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Alison Pill being on my screen is never a bad thing

YES

Great Expectations
07-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I thought it was ok last night, too much propaganda to be good. Much better than the second episode, but still not as good as the first one.

Bambi
07-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I thought it was ok last night, too much propaganda to be good. Much better than the second episode, but still not as good as the first one.

Agreed, was better.

Why do you say propaganda? Do you not think news organizations such as this aren't basically run by big business?

I may like this show alright but I haven't watched a cable news channel in years.

Great Expectations
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Agreed, was better.

Why do you say propaganda? Do you not think news organizations such as this aren't basically run by big business?

I may like this show alright but I haven't watched a cable news channel in years.

I am an anti tea party independent who leans slightly right, although moving left more and more. About half of the show last night was talking about how dumb the tea party is and how their elected officials are a threat to our country. I agree with most of the sentiment, but I don't need to have politics thrown in my face for an hour when watching a HBO drama series.

I get that some of it is realistic in that all but one cable news show leans way left. The "news show" stated that they aren't going to push an agenda, but instead focus solely on the issues. That this "news show" is above all of that and the new direction is concentrating on the middle. Clearly over the 6-10 months in 2010 that the show covered there would be some things to criticize the left for, but all they did was pump anti right messages all night. It was the exact opposite of concentrating on the middle. Keith Olberman might as well have been the news anchor last night.

Bambi
07-09-2012, 01:11 PM
I am an anti tea party independent who leans slightly right, although moving left more and more. About half of the show last night was talking about how dumb the tea party is and how their elected officials are a threat to our country. I agree with most of the sentiment, but I don't need to have politics thrown in my face for an hour when watching a HBO drama series.

I get that some of it is realistic in that all but one cable news show leans way left. The "news show" stated that they aren't going to push an agenda, but instead focus solely on the issues. That this "news show" is above all of that and the new direction is concentrating on the middle. Clearly over the 6-10 months in 2010 that the show covered there would be some things to criticize the left for, but all they did was pump anti right messages all night. It was the exact opposite of concentrating on the middle. Keith Olberman might as well have been the news anchor last night.

Although theoretically I agree with what you're saying it's becoming harder and harder not to see that this "tea party" movement is in fact a real threat to the country's liberties.

So much of a threat that even Republicans all over the spectrum have no realistic outlook towards future that is viable. Many are trying to voice that but don't want to come out as "pro-Obama" or something....even though the tea party is an issue that doesn't even involve Democrats.

I'll agree though that I find it a bit hard to believe that Jeff Daniels character is Republican.

vailpass
07-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Although theoretically I agree with what you're saying it's becoming harder and harder not to see that this "tea party" movement is in fact a real threat to the country's liberties.

So much of a threat that even Republicans all over the spectrum have no realistic outlook towards future that is viable. Many are trying to voice that but don't want to come out as "pro-Obama" or something....even though the tea party is an issue that doesn't even involve Democrats.

I'll agree though that I find it a bit hard to believe that Jeff Daniels character is Republican.

LMAO

blaise
07-09-2012, 05:32 PM

How scary!

Baby Lee
07-12-2012, 12:11 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S78RzZr3IwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vailpass
07-12-2012, 12:14 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S78RzZr3IwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

? Does he recycle lines for different shows?

blaise
07-12-2012, 12:17 PM
His dialogue always seems like, "Oh, look how clever I am!" to me.

Baby Lee
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM

What I'm trying to figure out is if Sorkin is smart enough to make Will look like a dope for correcting McKenzie on the Quixote/Horse/Donkey thing [Don actually did ride a horse, Sancho rode the donkey], or dumb enough to not know the difference.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EDMddeVAyzc/SOKXxSOi21I/AAAAAAAABtc/2kDQHHtJD5Y/s320/image004.png

Omaha
07-12-2012, 01:46 PM

I agree. the cutesy-clever dialogue with rapid-fire delivery is fun to watch, but it doesn't sound natural at all.

Baby Lee
07-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Great review

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2012/06/23/155632386/sorkins-newsroom-is-no-place-for-optimism

The underlying thesis of The Newsroom is that the problems of TV news – no, the problems of news media – no, the problems of American political life – are really pretty easy to solve. What could turn things around, the story suggests, is one newsman who will look into a camera and speak the objective and easily discernible truth. And, it suggests, the only reason that hasn't happened anywhere (and is thus so revelatory) is that everyone in every media organization in the country is so obtuse that they've never thought of offering objective facts in a civil manner before, and is such a money-grubbing coward that they'd never do it if they did.

And the reason, under this same theory, that Americans are separated by deep and profound political divisions is simply that they don't know anything about anything. They are dumb and gullible and believe, en masse, whatever is put in front of them (MacKenzie calls one of the show's objectives "speaking truth to stupid"), the upside of which is that if you serve them better facts, you can improve them. That's the epiphany that comes to Will, and to his new executive producer MacKenzie McHale (Emily Mortimer), and to Charlie. It's so easy, they all realize. All you have to do is stop being a mindless stooge like everyone else is, and you can start to fix the fact that we are right now a nation of idiots. The title of the pilot episode is, in fact, "We Just Decided To," and that's absolutely, positively Sorkin's point: we fail each other not when we try but do not succeed, but when nobody "just decides to" do everything right.

BigRedChief
07-12-2012, 07:41 PM
I agree. the cutesy-clever dialogue with rapid-fire delivery is fun to watch, but it doesn't sound natural at all.Again, thats classic Sorkin. Thats what he does. It's clever not natural. Still its fun in its own way. No one does that. Like it or not, its orginal.

BigRedChief
07-12-2012, 07:46 PM

I get that some of it is realistic in that all but one cable news show leans way left. The "news show" stated that they aren't going to push an agenda, but instead focus solely on the issues. That this "news show" is above all of that and the new direction is concentrating on the middle. Clearly over the 6-10 months in 2010 that the show covered there would be some things to criticize the left for, but all they did was pump anti right messages all night. It was the exact opposite of concentrating on the middle. Keith Olberman might as well have been the news anchor last night.Dude, Did you not watch an episode of West Wing? He puts his politics in his art.

BTW, my new favorite phrase is "Speak truth to stupid".

Omaha
07-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Again, thats classic Sorkin. Thats what he does. It's clever not natural. Still its fun in its own way. No one does that. Like it or not, its orginal.

You just restated everything I said.

blaise
07-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Again, thats classic Sorkin. Thats what he does. It's clever not natural. Still its fun in its own way. No one does that. Like it or not, its orginal.

That's kind of the thing. Like it or not. I choose not.

WoodDraw
07-13-2012, 11:09 AM
The last episode was the best so far, but I still find the parts where he's doing "the news" incredibly boring and annoying. And none of the characters are interesting yet. And since it's HBO and you're not talking about a long season, is there any time left to make them interesting?

dirk digler
07-13-2012, 11:37 AM
The last episode was the best so far, but I still find the parts where he's doing "the news" incredibly boring and annoying. And none of the characters are interesting yet. And since it's HBO and you're not talking about a long season, is there any time left to make them interesting?

Of course just need some nudity and sex.

Great Expectations
07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Dude, Did you not watch an episode of West Wing? He puts his politics in his art.

BTW, my new favorite phrase is "Speak truth to stupid".

I have never seen an episode of West Wing (I was in college at that time and didn't watch many prime time drama shows). I did watch a little bit of Sports Night and enjoyed it and he has made some pretty good movies like A Few Good Men, Charlie Wilson's War, The Social Network, and Moneyball.

|Zach|
07-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Looking forward to the next one.

Baby Lee
07-13-2012, 02:25 PM

Original, but inferior to Mamet. :p

BigRedChief
07-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Original, but inferior to Mamet. :pMamet is so far above Sorkin in class thats not a fair fight. He's one of my favorite modern writers.

BigRedChief
07-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Of course just need some nudity and sex.yeah, like some Olivia Munn

Possible NSFW:
http://skirtday.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/olivia-munn1.jpg

Definetly NSFW Cell phone hacked pics:
http://robarnieanddawn.com/index.php?q=node/5253
http://robarnieanddawn.com/index.php?q=node/5242

http://rekotrill.com/wp-content/gallery/olivia-munn/olivia-munn-maxim-mag-5.jpg
http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/olivia-munn-4.jpg

gblowfish
07-15-2012, 09:50 PM
So, did anybody watch tonight?

|Zach|
07-16-2012, 04:32 AM
The end of last nights episode was great. That last 15 mins or so was their best so far. Loving it.

KC_Connection
07-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Episodes 1, 3, and 4 have been quite entertaining. Particularly the end of yesterday's episode. This show has some promise.

Omaha
07-16-2012, 01:04 PM
This show kicks ass.

Bambi
07-17-2012, 07:25 AM
I cried. That fucking newsman Don.

BigRedChief
08-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Episodes 1, 3, and 4 have been quite entertaining. Particularly the end of yesterday's episode. This show has some promise.yeah it has its moments where it really is top quality TV. When he is in the chair broadcasting and some event is occuring, the writing and acting just gets sharper.

Olivia Munn is showing some promise as an actress.

kysirsoze
08-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Olivia Munn might be great in certain roles, but she doesn't handle the rhythm and emphasis of Sorkin dialogue too well. She has her moments, but there are several points when she says a line and I think, "she missed". For contrast, see Sam Waterson and Jeff Daniels scenes.

BigRedChief
08-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Olivia Munn might be great in certain roles, but she doesn't handle the rhythm and emphasis of Sorkin dialogue too well. She has her moments, but there are several points when she says a line and I think, "she missed". For contrast, see Sam Waterson and Jeff Daniels scenes.All I know her from is the Daily Show. I thought she was a stupid comedian who happens to be hot also. Not a lot going on upstairs.

Bambi
08-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Olivia Munn might be great in certain roles, but she doesn't handle the rhythm and emphasis of Sorkin dialogue too well. She has her moments, but there are several points when she says a line and I think, "she missed". For contrast, see Sam Waterson and Jeff Daniels scenes.

Is she trying to play kinda dumb or is that just her acting?

bowener
08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
This show is pretty good. My biggest knock on the show, and something that needs to be changed before I will consider it great, is the god awful music. Just terrible.

BigRedChief
08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
This show is pretty good. My biggest knock on the show, and something that needs to be changed before I will consider it great, is the god awful music. Just terrible.I agree. Maybe they are so focused on snappy dialog they forget that you need quality music to prodcue a quality TV show.

Unsmooth-Moment
08-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Just started watching this a couple of weeks ago. I like what I've seen so far.

ChiefsFanatic
08-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Is she trying to play kinda dumb or is that just her acting?

No. She is playing a character with two PHDs and no social skills whatsoever. I think she is nailing it. And it cracks me up the way this board believes that it knows what an Emmy winning writer should do to make his show better.

Sure, there are things that we wish would be different, but we have become TV snobs, believing we could improve Breaking Bad, or The Walking Dead, etc. We give ourselves too much credit, and believe ourselves to be smarter than we are.

We need to stick to things that we can actually do better than the people doing the job, and that's running the Kansas City Chiefs.

|Zach|
08-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Another really strong episode.

Aries Walker
08-06-2012, 07:46 AM
No. She is playing a character with two PHDs and no social skills whatsoever. I think she is nailing it. And it cracks me up the way this board believes that it knows what an Emmy winning writer should do to make his show better.

Sure, there are things that we wish would be different, but we have become TV snobs, believing we could improve Breaking Bad, or The Walking Dead, etc. We give ourselves too much credit, and believe ourselves to be smarter than we are.

We need to stick to things that we can actually do better than the people doing the job, and that's running the Kansas City Chiefs.
On the other hand, TV executives recently green-lit another sitcom for Rob Schneider, so maybe they could take a few lessons from some everymans.

Bambi
08-06-2012, 11:05 AM
On the other hand, TV executives recently green-lit another sitcom for Rob Schneider, so maybe they could take a few lessons from some everymans.

I gave up the day they cancelled Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Baby Lee
08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Another really strong episode.

There's a problem marrying up the interpersonal stuff with the 'ripped from the headlines' stuff.
We've been with these characters for 7 weeks, but events have transpired over several months. Meanwhile, these characters are in stasis, Will and Mac's 'lurve' continues to simmer, the Maggie, Lisa, Jim triangle continues to be a more urgent issue than the death of the likes of OBL, heck Jim and Lisa have dated for months and the age old 'someone said ILY too soon' trope pops up TONIGHT? Nobody's moved on, gotten a promotion, changed their hairstyle, burnt out, . . . nothing?

Bambi
08-06-2012, 12:06 PM
There's a problem marrying up the interpersonal stuff with the 'ripped from the headlines' stuff.
We've been with these characters for 7 weeks, but events have transpired over several months. Meanwhile, these characters are in stasis, Will and Mac's 'lurve' continues to simmer, the Maggie, Lisa, Jim triangle continues to be a more urgent issue than the death of the likes of OBL, heck Jim and Lisa have dated for months and the age old 'someone said ILY too soon' trope pops up TONIGHT? Nobody's moved on, gotten a promotion, changed their hairstyle, burnt out, . . . nothing?

If it helps I don't even pay attention to the "events" in chronological order. They more serve as a backdrop from my point of view. Yes there are overall implications in how the characters act....especially all the "TMI" nonsense that keeps going on.

Last night got kinda silly at points. Come on, he's eating pot brownies and everyone's joking around with it? Yea right. Then he just snaps into "broadcaster mode".

gblowfish
08-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I have an autographed CD at home from Jeff Daniels. He is a good guitarist and he has a great sense of humor. Good actor, too.

Nice story, q&a with Daniels about the show and other stuff:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/jeff-daniels-star-of-the-newsroom-on-walking-talki,81644/

BigRedChief
08-08-2012, 12:17 AM
I have an autographed CD at home from Jeff Daniels. He is a good guitarist and he has a great sense of humor. Good actor, too.

Nice story, q&a with Daniels about the show and other stuff:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/jeff-daniels-star-of-the-newsroom-on-walking-talki,81644/thanks for the link

gblowfish
08-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Anybody see last night's show? Buehler? Buehler???

Fried Meat Ball!
08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Anybody see last night's show? Buehler? Buehler???

Yep. I like this show... I know it's Sorkin doing his thang, but Mrs. FMB! and I enjoy it. I just have to separate the show from what I know real newsrooms and journalism are like.

Aries Walker
08-20-2012, 09:06 PM
I like that it's starting to get a story behind it. I still think the women in the show are poorly written (especially Maggie, who is somewhere between annoying, incompetent and dumb as a brick), but the first season of The West Wing had some rough edges that needed to be sanded off, too, so we'll see where it goes.

Omaha
08-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I just watched this week's episode. I'm still digging this show. In next week the season finale?

ragedogg69
08-22-2012, 05:35 PM
I like that it's starting to get a story behind it. I still think the women in the show are poorly written (especially Maggie, who is somewhere between annoying, incompetent and dumb as a brick), but the first season of The West Wing had some rough edges that needed to be sanded off, too, so we'll see where it goes.

Yeah I just dont understand what they are doing with Olivia Munn's character. Its nice she is getting more screen time, but jesus, her character is brilliant, but shallow; is meek, but will have fits of (playful?) violence to the slumdog kid.

My problem with Sorkin is he has this brilliant drama, but wants to slip random slapstick into them. The whole pants thing needed a slide whistle dubbed over it.

BigRedChief
08-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Yeah I just dont understand what they are doing with Olivia Munn's character. Its nice she is getting more screen time, but jesus, her character is brilliant, but shallow; is meek, but will have fits of (playful?) violence to the slumdog kid.

My problem with Sorkin is he has this brilliant drama, but wants to slip random slapstick into them. The whole pants thing needed a slide whistle dubbed over it.agree. The pants thing seemed forced. I think Olivia Munn's charector could be a breakout charector. Just play here as a genius with enonomic numbers but geeky in life. Socially inept will give them plenty of oppertunity for comedy. I know she does great comedy from her time on the daily Show,

BigRedChief
08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
I just watched this week's episode. I'm still digging this show. In next week the season finale?yes

BigRedChief
08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
This isn't really clicking on all cyclinders. Reports have Sorking consulting with TV and News types to make it better.

I think Munn is going to be a breakout star.

Brock
08-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Too talky.

Great Expectations
08-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Parts are great because it is too talky, parts are below average because it is too talky.

KChiefer
08-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Yo! HBO! Where's all the nudity!?!?

So the first half of next season will cover the election. If Romney wins it'll be, "We FAILED to inform the public." If Obama wins it'll be, "WE DID IT!!!"

Maybe they'll enter a parallel universe where the opposite candidate wins.

Until then, I submit More Munn...no not Mitt. For those of you criticizing Olivia, Leia off her!

http://gamersroute.com/files/2009/09/Olivia-Munn-as-Princess-Leia.jpg

keg in kc
08-28-2012, 01:44 PM
I've loved the hell out of this show although I though it drooped for a few episodes in the middle. The finale left me feeling a little ambivalent, however. It felt like they left a lot of things hanging, and that many of the storylines starting season 2 seem like they'll be in exactly the same spot that they were in for all of season 1. So not much in the way of resolution, and I think that left me feeling a little bit dissatisfied. Not that I need everything to be wrapped in a nice little bow of course.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I've loved the hell out of this show although I though it drooped for a few episodes in the middle. The finale left me feeling a little ambivalent, however. It felt like they left a lot of things hanging, and that many of the storylines starting season 2 seem like they'll be in exactly the same spot that they were in for all of season 1. So not much in the way of resolution, and I think that left me feeling a little bit dissatisfied. Not that I need everything to be wrapped in a nice little bow of course.

I felt the same way. It was just anti-climactic. It felt a little like the ending to show that wasn't going to return.

WoodDraw
08-28-2012, 02:49 PM
I thought the finale was some of Sorkin's worst work. Nothing happened, and what did happen was boring. All the resolutions for very deus ex machina. The show needs major work before season 2.

BigRedChief
08-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Yo! HBO! Where's all the nudity!?!?

So the first half of next season will cover the election. If Romney wins it'll be, "We FAILED to inform the public." If Obama wins it'll be, "WE DID IT!!!"

Maybe they'll enter a parallel universe where the opposite candidate wins.

Until then, I submit More Munn...no not Mitt. For those of you criticizing Olivia, Leia off her!

http://gamersroute.com/files/2009/09/Olivia-Munn-as-Princess-Leia.jpglooks like she might be able to actually act too. But still.....Yowsa
http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/13553257a91739e280e97719aed7be83e18b25d0_m.jpg

Baby Lee
08-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I thought the finale was some of Sorkin's worst work. Nothing happened, and what did happen was boring. All the resolutions for very deus ex machina. The show needs major work before season 2.

That scene with Maggie bringing in Founding Father quotes, one-by-one, handwritten, with the 'Eye of the Tig - errrr, Baba O'Reilly' montage!! music in the background was EYEROLLINGLY bad. Our simplest, DC ghetto, simpleton here on CP has more knowledge in their frontal context than ACN can evidently summon with their vast resources.

But then, Will is a stand-in for Sorkin who views any information conveyed electronically with a deep and abiding suspicion. So Maggie is probably jogging to the local library branch and requesting to see their Dewey card catalog for each of those 'choice' quotes.

WoodDraw
08-29-2012, 05:58 PM
That scene with Maggie bringing in Founding Father quotes, one-by-one, handwritten, with the 'Eye of the Tig - errrr, Baba O'Reilly' montage!! music in the background was EYEROLLINGLY bad. Our simplest, DC ghetto, simpleton here on CP has more knowledge in their frontal context than ACN can evidently summon with their vast resources.

But then, Will is a stand-in for Sorkin who views any information conveyed electronically with a deep and abiding suspicion. So Maggie is probably jogging to the local library branch and requesting to see their Dewey card catalog for each of those 'choice' quotes.

That's the problem. Sorkin hates online everything, and he wants everyone to feel the same. His blogger trying to write a story about "trolling". Who the fuck even wrote that? Awful. Sorkin gave quite a few interviews where he just came off as a pompous douchebag.

The west wing was great because it existed in a fake world and we could all get behind the characters. This show just serves to give him a platform to lecture on and on about how awful everyone not named "Aaron Sorkin" is.

That ending on the airplane a few episodes ago was as awkward as I've seen a TV show. Telling the pilot, telling the cops... It's like he still thinks he's writing for the 1950s.

Baby Lee
08-29-2012, 07:23 PM
That's the problem. Sorkin hates online everything, and he wants everyone to feel the same. His blogger trying to write a story about "trolling". Who the fuck even wrote that? Awful. Sorkin gave quite a few interviews where he just came off as a pompous douchebag.

The west wing was great because it existed in a fake world and we could all get behind the characters. This show just serves to give him a platform to lecture on and on about how awful everyone not named "Aaron Sorkin" is.

That ending on the airplane a few episodes ago was as awkward as I've seen a TV show. Telling the pilot, telling the cops... It's like he still thinks he's writing for the 1950s.

Yeah, the trending discussion is whether Sorkin hates the Internet or Women more. I don't think he hates women. I think he's confounded by them, and as a 'genious' in the mold of he and Chuck Lorre, he turns confounded into condescension.

Baby Lee
08-30-2012, 08:34 AM
A long, but amusing litany of TN gripes from AVClub comments

Things I’ve Learned from The Newsroom, Season 1:

I thought at first Will McAvoy killed himself because he just couldn’t take another moment with these people and for a moment, I envied his decision.

Though Maggie Jordon may not be the “average New York woman” she would pass for an average saucer-eyed elf, raised by Martians and forced to live in a box until ten minutes before this show began.

After watching the film Run Lola Run for the tenth time, MacKenzie McHale believes she can freeze time by screeching.

No John Gallagher, Jr., I don’t know why you’re here. From a Tony Award for Spring Awakening to playing Jim Halpert, er, Harper, if he was bitten by a radioactive beta male.

Anonymous internet trolls do it for the fame.

By episode 4, which somehow managed to exploit both Gabrielle Giffords and Bigfoot, I wanted to take a copy of Huckleberry Finn, write the word “TONE” on the front cover with a black magic marker and beat Aaron Sorkin until his hairplugs fell out.

The New York headquarters of Atlantis Cable News is located at 42nd Street and 6th Avenue in New York, the site of The Bank of America Tower.

Jane Fonda is amazing, but her character’s motivations are absolutely bananas. Apparently her loyalties to the Koch Brothers are somewhere between bought-and-paid-for trusted ally and amnesia patient.

No Olivia Munn, I don’t know why you’re here either.

Characters gossip about their love lives more than a 70’s naughty nurse movie but somehow manage to never TALK TO EACH OTHER ABOUT HOW THEY FEEL. And did I mention this story has covered a year and a half and they all work 20 feet from each other 16 hours a day?

Movies like Broadcast News inspired people to become real life TV journalists. The only thing The Newsroom might inspire is for Dev Patel to fire his agent. Sorkin, you had your hero call him “Punjab” for fucksakes, and without any consequences, I might add. Harold and Kumar would steal your second Prius and laugh at you all the way to White Castle.

At some point around episode three Sam Waterston got an eyebrow wrangler.

Shows on HBO with a one hour running time have a different pace than a network show at 42 minutes. The Sopranos and Game of Thrones use that extra time to dig deeper into character and plot, creating a hybrid of serialized novel and a feature film. The Newsroom uses this time for Jeff Daniels to fall down in his underpants.

If you have the opportunity to date beautiful news women, DON’T DO IT. No matter how tantalizing their breasts look in silk shirts, they’re all monsters who have no agency whatsoever and are relegated to screeching, manic trophies who never shut up and beat you moments after you wake from intensive care.

Women wear too many silk shirts for such a cold studio.

Don The Producer’s problem isn’t that he’s a good guy who’s been told he’s bad. The problem is he’s apparently never dated a human being before. You didn’t cry over your high school love as much as Don cries every episode. And hokey smokes is Thomas Sadoski a great actor, but these terrible scripts exist only in polar emotional extremes. He’s either the cynical “master of the dark arts” or a knuckle-biting spurned lover with nothing in between.

No Terry Crews, I don’t know why you’re here either.

Despite Will McAvoy’s only personality trait being one shared by Aaron Sorkin– a deep love of Broadway musicals, Will doesn’t know how to pronounce the name “Dulcinea.” Even though The Man of La Mancha has an entire song that sounds out her name ten times. It’s not “dulCINea,” Harry from Dumb and Dumber.

Sometimes you need multiple seasons stretched across several years to tell the epic, dumb love stories of the most unengaging, single-note characters on television.

keg in kc
07-14-2013, 01:45 AM
Back tonight. I'm hearing words like "much improved" re: early season 2 eps versus season 1. We shall see.

<iframe src="http://www.hbo.com/data/content/global/videos/embed/data/1326261.html?height=315&width=500" height="315" width="500" style="overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" frameborder="0" type="text/html"></iframe><div><a title="Season 2: Desert Trailer Extended Version" href="http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true&vid=1326261&filter=the-newsroom&view=null">Season 2: Desert Trailer Extended Version</a></div>

Bambi
07-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Seems weird that we're in "2011"

PackerinMo
07-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Watching it right now, DVR'd it.

keg in kc
07-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Liked the first episode. Liked that the love triangle is finally (and very quickly) over. Not sure I want to know what happened to Maggie, though (apparently we find out in episode 4, I have no idea what it is).

Omaha
07-15-2013, 11:05 AM
I love this show. I'm glad it's back.

Sfeihc
07-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Olivia Munn.

Omaha
07-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Olivia Munn.

Excellent point.

Tribal Warfare
08-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Who else thought Jane Fonda looked damn good last Sunday?

Baby Lee
09-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Hee!!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-hoping-the-newsroom-ends-before-trayvon-mar,33135/

ChiefsFanatic
09-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Hee!!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-hoping-the-newsroom-ends-before-trayvon-mar,33135/

It can be heavy handed at times when it comes to b!tch-slapping stupid, or the Tea Party. Ok, wait...that's redundant. Sorry.

But I really like the show. I like the characters. I like Olivia Munn. Old Man Eyebrows is hilarious, and it has a chick, who is not ugly, with a British accent. Oh, and I love it when they bash the Tea Party.

BigRedChief
09-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Who else thought Jane Fonda looked damn good last Sunday?I liked her rant on why she wouldn't fire them. I like it that her billionaire charector smokes weed. Nice touch.

Yeah, I guess all those workouts in the 80's are paying off now.

BigRedChief
09-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Olivia Munn.Enough said!
http://eclectikrelaxation.com/appreciation/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Olivia-Munn-30.jpg

keg in kc
09-22-2013, 08:12 PM
So Jeff Daniels won the emmy. Didn't expect that.

ChiefsFanatic
09-23-2013, 02:45 AM
So Jeff Daniels won the emmy. Didn't expect that.

My 17 year old daughter just can't believe that Harry from Dumb and Dumber, and Harry from Speed and Will McAvoy are the same person.

He has actually given a really good performance. I have some friends that say he is terrible on the show just because expresses views that they don't share.

Tribal Warfare
09-23-2013, 03:30 AM
My 17 year old daughter just can't believe that Harry from Dumb and Dumber, and Harry from Speed and Will McAvoy are the same person.

He has actually given a really good performance. I have some friends that say he is terrible on the show just because expresses views that they don't share.

I always thought Jeff Daniels was a rock solid actor

Tribal Warfare
09-23-2013, 03:32 AM
Enough said!
http://eclectikrelaxation.com/appreciation/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Olivia-Munn-30.jpg

Don: "What I have can't be taught"

the best line in the whole goddamn show.

Baby Lee
09-23-2013, 04:33 AM

Show her Terms of Endearment.

ChiefsFanatic
09-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Show her Terms of Endearment.

She wouldn't make it through 10 minutes of that movie. And if she could, I would stop it at about 10 minutes and 1 second. I have tried to watch it, and I just can't.

Baby Lee
09-23-2013, 03:39 PM
She wouldn't make it through 10 minutes of that movie. And if she could, I would stop it at about 10 minutes and 1 second. I have tried to watch it, and I just can't.

You're dissing a Larry McMurtry screenplay? Turn in your avatar good sir!!

Brock
09-24-2013, 11:26 AM
I really liked him when he gave that speech in independence day

Baby Lee
04-15-2014, 05:01 PM
<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:comedycentral.com:85e145f8-eedb-4eb8-9911-288671eded18" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.cc.com/shows/inside-amy-schumer">Inside Amy Schumer</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href="http://www.comedycentral.com">Comedy Central</a>,<a href="http://www.comedycentral.com/funny-videos">Funny Videos</a>,<a href="http://www.comedycentral.com/shows">Funny TV Shows</a></p></div></div>