PDA

View Full Version : Elections Romney is supposed to be a leader? Spineless reply on immigration case

banyon
06-26-2012, 08:34 AM
For those of you thinking this guy is going to change things, check out his tepid, jellyfish-like reply on the immigration case.

The Supreme Court rejected large portions of a controversial Arizona immigration law but left intact the ability of police to stop suspected illegal immigrants and demand to see their papers, a sort of split decision that should hand President Obama a political cudgel with which to take after former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney.

A rally against Arizona's immigration law on April 25 outside of the US Supreme Court in Washington, D.C.Virtually any way that the Court decided on the Arizona measure would have forced Romney to respond on an issue he’d rather not address between now and November. But, the Court keeping the “stop and check” provision in the law — and the fact that Romney is scheduled to be in Arizona later today (someone get the scheduler on the line!) means that he will have to walk a very fine line, rhetorically speaking, on an issue that has major long term consequences for the Republican party.

In a presidential debate earlier this year, Romney called Arizona a “model” for how to handle immigration and added: “I will drop those lawsuits on day one.” (Romney’s campaign clarified that he was referring to the state’s e-verify system not the illegal immigration law when using the term “model.) And Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer endorsed Romney’s presidential campaign in late February.

By and large, however, Romney has avoided any extended conversations about immigration since he has emerged as the Republican nominee.

In the wake of President Obama’s recent decision to cease enforcement of the deportation of young illegal immigrants, Romney issued a statement that called it a short-term solution to a long term problem but largely stayed away from offering his own long term solution. Ditto a speech he gave late last week to the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO).

And, in the wake of today’s ruling by the Court, Romney issued a generic condemnation of Obama’s failure “to provide any leadership on immigration” but offered no specifics about the case itself. And, Romney’s team made clear that the candidate was planning no more statements or on-camera appearances to discuss the ruling today.

Here is the campaign spokesperson (Bear in mind Romney was actually in the back of the plane at the time and declined on camera interviews).

<object name="kaltura_player_1340717542" id="kaltura_player_1340717542" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" allowFullScreen="true" height="221" width="392" data="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_ujoze8ds/uiconf_id/6501231">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/>
<param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/>
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"/>
<param name="movie" value="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_ujoze8ds/uiconf_id/6501231"/>
<param name="flashVars" value="referer=http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/does-romney-support-arizona-immigration-law-16647327&autoPlay=false"/>
<a href="http://corp.kaltura.com">video platform</a>
<a href="http://corp.kaltura.com/video_platform/video_management">video management</a>
<a href="http://corp.kaltura.com/solutions/video_solution">video solutions</a>
<a href="http://corp.kaltura.com/video_platform/video_publishing">video player</a>
</object>

The simple political reality on immigration for Romney goes like this: the Republican base is vehemently opposed to illegal immigration or a path to citizenship in any way shape or form but to adopt that policy would be to essentially write off the growing Hispanic community for years to come.

And so, the best policy for Romney is to say as little as possible and keep the focus on the economy. Today’s ruling means, however, that Romney will almost certainly have to offer an opinion on whether the Court was right to uphold the right of Arizona police officers to stop and check for immigration papers. And that makes it something short of a great day for his campaign.

That said, it’s also important to remember that for all the hubbub over the Court’s ruling on immigration today, it remains a decidedly back-of-the-mind issue for most voters.

In a May Washington Post-ABC News poll, less than one percent of respondents named immigration as the single most important issue for them in the election. (The economy, by contrast, was the most important issue to 52 percent of those surveyed.)

What those numbers suggest is that Romney may take a bit of short-term pain as he tries to thread the needle over the Court’s immigration decision but if he keeps himself broadly focused on the economy then it shouldn’t damage him badly among most voters.

Looking beyond the 2012 election, however, Republicans must be very careful not to allow themselves to be branded the anti-immigration party. That designation could potentially doom them to minority party status nationally in 2016, 2020 and beyond.

This is not leadership. You should know your position and be proud of it and announce it. For people who were not concerned about Romney's flip-flops in the primary, I think he has just given you a sneak preview of how he would govern: Pay lip service to conservatives and talk tough around them, and then after the political calculations are done, sell them out on an important issue like this.
(This is not intended as an Obama endorsement, I will not be voting for either of these clowns.)

Garcia Bronco
06-26-2012, 08:43 AM
That's all he needs to say and its true. The CIC has failed to address the issue.

Chief Faithful
06-26-2012, 08:43 AM
You sure have a big one for Romney. There is nothing wrong with taking time to review the decision and consider the impacts before making a strong statement. Plus, as you know Romney is trying to focus his campaign on the economy not immigration so the light response might be tactical.

Either way, I agree that Obama has not provided any leadership on the immigration problem. The most he has done is not work with Congress while making directives with Homeland Security and ICE to not up-hold Federal statutes.

banyon
06-26-2012, 08:52 AM
That's all he needs to say and its true. The CIC has failed to address the issue.

And this evasive, waffling nonsense convinces you that romney will act decisively where Obama has failed?

Would you be interestedin some swamp--er oceanfront propertyin Florida?

Garcia Bronco
06-26-2012, 09:11 AM
And this evasive, waffling nonsense convinces you that romney will act decisively where Obama has failed?

Would you be interestedin some swamp--er oceanfront propertyin Florida?

I am convinced that no one will act decisively and that Romney is ultimately no different than Obama. Romney is in the position to criticize Obama on the issue though. Because he's not President. And will most likley be able to criticize him on it 4 years from now.

banyon
06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
You sure have a big one for Romney. There is nothing wrong with taking time to review the decision and consider the impacts before making a strong statement. Plus, as you know Romney is trying to focus his campaign on the economy not immigration so the light response might be tactical.

Either way, I agree that Obama has not provided any leadership on the immigration problem. The most he has done is not work with Congress while making directives with Homeland Security and ICE to not up-hold Federal statutes.

I don't have a big one for anyone except improving the possibility of not having to choose between the lesser of two evils every election cycle.

But I'll take 10-1 odds against you that Romney isn't "taking time to review the decision". He'll never issue any strong policy statement on this case.

Avoid the difficult decisions that aren't politically expedient.

That's essentially what you've endorsed here in your post praising it for being "tactical".

This guy is essentially Clinton again with the triangulation, focus groups, but just a little on the right side of the pro-corporate aisle instead of slightly left of center. (and of course without the sex scandals).

banyon
06-26-2012, 09:21 AM
I am convinced that no one will act decisively and that Romney is ultimately no different than Obama. Romney is in the position to criticize Obama on the issue though. Because he's not President. And will most likley be able to criticize him on it 4 years from now.

Well I mostly agree with this. I guess I'm feeling optimistic that we can do better and you aren't is where we are disagreeing.

Garcia Bronco
06-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Well I mostly agree with this. I guess I'm feeling optimistic that we can do better and you aren't is where we are disagreeing.

Put me in charge and I'll take care of it. That's all I can tell you.

mikey23545
06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
I would have no problem with Romney staying quiet about his position right now as long as he comes down like a sledgehammer on illegals after his inauguration.

HonestChieffan
06-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Outrage over a soundbite....Obama must love it when he pulls a boner like he did and people go off on Romney and give the OBummer a pass.

cosmo20002
06-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Outrage over a soundbite....Obama must love it when he pulls a boner like he did and people go off on Romney and give the OBummer a pass.

People. They are just the worst.

J Diddy
06-26-2012, 09:53 AM

Really? Getchie some double standards.

Doesn't seem to long ago when obama was talking about push ups and everyone was condemning him when he misspoke. Where was his pass then?

Chiefshrink
06-26-2012, 09:56 AM
It's good politics. Why should Romney make himself more of a target when it is Obama who is trying to get up out of the "shitter"? Marxist Media will continue to try to get Romney to out himself even more on this issue but it won't work:rolleyes:

Chief Faithful
06-26-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't have a big one for anyone except improving the possibility of not having to choose between the lesser of two evils every election cycle.

But I'll take 10-1 odds against you that Romney isn't "taking time to review the decision". He'll never issue any strong policy statement on this case.

Avoid the difficult decisions that aren't politically expedient.

That's essentially what you've endorsed here in your post praising it for being "tactical".

This guy is essentially Clinton again with the triangulation, focus groups, but just a little on the right side of the pro-corporate aisle instead of slightly left of center. (and of course without the sex scandals).

Personnally I don't like how Obama is handling the immigration issue as President nor how the Republicans are approaching the problem through border enforcement. The INS has gone from immigration service to immigration prevention. It is almost impossible to immigrate legally to this county and neither side of the isle is addressing the real underlying issue. The Democrats are trying to toss out the rule of law and the Republicans are trying to build a fence. Neither solution is addressing the problem.

Recently we tried to adopt a 15 year old from Africa. The state of Georgia was fine with it, but immigration would not allow him in the country. Why? Because by adopting this boy it was a sign that he was coming to this country to stay so he would not be allowed in. But, if I was not a citizen I could adopt and bring him in because as a non-citizen there was no presumption that I was planning to live in this country.

I have dozens of these examples including illegal incarceration because an agent just had time on his hands. The system is no longer designed to help people immigrate it now tries to prevent immigration. In my mind both sides of the isle are guilty of politicizing the problems instead of fixing them. McCain tried to address the issues 4 years ago and almost got nailed to a cross by his own party with the other party joining in the persecution.

FD
06-26-2012, 10:33 AM
In this campaign, Romney is following a strategy of doing his best not to take any strong policy positions and trying to focus all the attention on Obama and the high unemployment rate. I think its probably his best strategy, but there is a chance it could backfire if there are a lot of people like the OP who are put off by his seeming lack of positions/principles.

|Zach|
06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Spine candidate propped up by a spineless party. They deserve each other.

cosmo20002
06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Spine candidate propped up by a spineless party. They deserve each other.

This post is uninteresting and predictable.

|Zach|
06-26-2012, 10:39 AM
This post is uninteresting and predictable.

Yea, sorry for making you all sensitive about your posts but your victim mentality themed fringe left style is embarrassing.

Brock
06-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I would have no problem with Romney staying quiet about his position right now as long as he comes down like a sledgehammer on illegals after his inauguration.

Wake up, he isn't going to do that.

cosmo20002
06-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Yea, sorry for making you all sedative about your posts but your victim mentality themed fringe left style is embarrassing.

Fringe left? You called me right wing a few days ago. You seem a bit confused. I really don't care, but just try to keep your posts interesting and not predictable.

Detoxing
06-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Yeah, good luck with that.

Donger
06-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Just in case anyone is wondering, here are Romney's positions on immigration:

http://www.mittromney.com/issues/immigration

notorious
06-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Going to the voting center will be like going to Chucky Cheese. No matter what I will be leaving with a headache and a bad taste in my mouth.

cosmo20002
06-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Just in case anyone is wondering, here are Romney's positions on immigration:

http://www.mittromney.com/issues/immigration

When was that written--at least a few weeks ago I assume. I'm pretty sure the Etch-a-Sketch has been applied by now.

|Zach|
06-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Fringe left? You called me right wing a few days ago. You seem a bit confused. I really don't care, but just try to keep your posts interesting and not predictable.

I didn't do that at all. I compared your style of posting to Tom's fringe and rambling and senseless. I was comparing two idiots who are on other ends of the spectrum.

RedNeckRaider
06-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Yeah, good luck with that.

No shit~

cosmo20002
06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I didn't do that at all. I compared your style of posting to Tom's fringe and rambling and senseless. I was comparing two idiots who are on other ends of the spectrum.

You did, but comparing me to him is pretty idiotic. Basically, you're just like the right-wing nuts on here who make a broad statement about my or someone else's posts being irrational, senseless or whatever without actually mentioning anything specific or commenting on a specific post.

|Zach|
06-26-2012, 11:31 AM
You did, but comparing me to him is pretty idiotic. Basically, you're just like the right-wing nuts on here who make a broad statement about my or someone else's posts being irrational, senseless or whatever without actually mentioning anything specific or commenting on a specific post.

I didn't. I was comparing styles. Anyone who has read any of your posts knows you are a victim card playing accountability side stepping liberal who is all bark and absolutely no bite.

Saulbadguy
06-26-2012, 12:29 PM

LOL, like that will happen.

patteeu
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't see why Romney has to consider this issue as important to take a strong stand on as you do. He's obviously trying to hammer Obama on his poor economic results while denying Obama the chance to use wedge issues like this one to put him on the outs with one constituency or another.

vailpass
06-26-2012, 02:23 PM
ABO

go bowe
06-26-2012, 02:31 PM
ABO

hey, what have you got against o'romney any way??

vailpass
06-26-2012, 02:32 PM
hey, what have you got against o'romney any way??

:D

cosmo20002
06-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't see why Romney has to consider this issue as important to take a strong stand on as you do.

He's doesn't have to--that's the sad thing. You would think people who apparently support him would want to hear an actual answer, but you don't care.

vailpass
06-26-2012, 03:14 PM
He's doesn't have to--that's the sad thing. You would think people who apparently support him would want to hear an actual answer, but you don't care.

You support obama, correct?

banyon
06-26-2012, 03:22 PM
I don't see why Romney has to consider this issue as important to take a strong stand on as you do. He's obviously trying to hammer Obama on his poor economic results while denying Obama the chance to use wedge issues like this one to put him on the outs with one constituency or another.

A lot of people feel that this is a major national issue. It would be nice to have a leader who doesn't keep dodging the tough issues for political expediency. That's what's gotten us where we are at.

mlyonsd
06-26-2012, 03:30 PM
“Now you probably heard today there was a Supreme Court decision relating to immigration and, you know, given the failure of the immigration policy in this country, I would have preferred to see the Supreme Court give more latitude to the states not less,” said Romney, in his first public statement on this morning’s Supreme Court ruling, which upheld part of the Arizona’s immigration law that allows those but overturned others. “And there are states now under this decision have less authority, less latitude, to enforce immigration laws.”
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/romney-says-supreme-court-immigration-decision-caused-a-muddle/

I don't know, what's he supposed to say, he'll ignore the SC? The only thing I think he could have added to this was if his adminsitration would abandon Arizona like Obama's did when it comes to accepting suspected illegals.

patteeu
06-26-2012, 05:05 PM

I don't care that much because it's not one of my top issues and because I don't think Romney will be as bad as Obama on it from my pov in any event.

patteeu
06-26-2012, 05:09 PM
A lot of people feel that this is a major national issue. It would be nice to have a leader who doesn't keep dodging the tough issues for political expediency. That's what's gotten us where we are at.

Sure, but if immigration was your pet issue, you would have supported someone other than Romney in the first place and having failed to get your candidate through the primary process you just have to accept that he's not the champion for your cause that you'd like to have.*

Meanwhile, people who did support Romney from before the nomination was settled generally are more concerned with other issues like the economy, national security, and defeating Obama.

--------------
* I realize that you didn't really have a candidate in the primaries.