PDA

View Full Version : Obama Florida gets to keep on purging voter rolls

HonestChieffan
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Looks like Fed judge agrees Florida can clean up voting afterall.

Munson
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
That judge must be racist.

cosmo20002
06-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Looks like Fed judge agrees Florida can clean up voting afterall.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict you are leaving something out.

vailpass
06-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict you are leaving something out.

Couldn't you find it in huffpo?

HonestChieffan
06-27-2012, 02:09 PM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A federal judge has refused to stop Florida from removing potentially non-U.S. citizens from its rolls.

The U.S. Department of Justice sued the state to halt the purge, arguing it was going on too close to a federal election.

U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle said Wednesday that there was nothing in federal voting laws that prevent the state from identifying non-U.S. citizens even if it comes less than 90 days before the Aug. 14 election.

Hinkle ruled that federal laws are designed to block states from removing eligible voters close to an election. He said they are not designed to stop states from blocking voters who should have never been allowed to cast ballots in the first place.

Gov. Rick Scott praised Hinkle’s decision, saying “irreparable harm will result if non-citizens are allowed to vote.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/florida-voter-purge_n_1631573.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008

HonestChieffan
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Hard to find news on the internet

headsnap
06-27-2012, 02:14 PM
great, now my Grandmother can't vote!!!!

Pitt Gorilla
06-27-2012, 02:31 PM
It looks like the purge is working.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/29/decorated-broward-war-hero-targeted-in-gov-scotts-voter-purge/

DAVIE (CBSMiami) – A 91-year-old decorated World War II veteran is just one of hundreds of South Florida voters shocked to learn that they’ve been identified as a non-U.S. Citizen and may be ineligible to vote.

Bill Internicola appeared at a news conference at his senior retirement community Pine Island Ridge Clubhouse in Davie on Tuesday.

“I was amazed when I got the letter, I can tell you that. I’ve been voting since I was 18 years old and I never had any trouble,” said Internicola.

Internicola, who has voted in Florida for 14 years without a problem, was joined by U.S. Reps Ted Deutch, D-Boca Raton, and Alcee Hastings D-Miramar who are calling on Gov. Rick Scott to stop the current purging of suspected non-citizens from the voter rolls because of inaccuracies.

“Who made the decision to put these names on a list? Why did you make that decision? When did you make that decision? And if you made that decision recently when Mr. Internicola and others received the letter, why didn’t you do it a long time before this election?” asked Rep. Hastings.

Internicola, a Broward Democrat, is one of 259 Broward voters being required to prove they are citizens or be booted off the voter rolls in June, due to Gov. Scott’s order to purge non-U.S. citizens from the rolls before this year’s presidential elections.

“Governor Scott wants to make sure people that non-citizens are not casting ballots,” said the governor’s spokesman Lane Wright. “We are trying to make sure who should be voting and who should not be voting. They have a list of possible non-citizens and they are going through the process of vetting each name. They are not trying to wipe people off the voting rolls. They are vetting the list because there are inaccuracies but that is a part of the vetting process.”

Deutch has called on Scott to immediately suspend the voter purge.

A coalition of civil rights and voting organizations have also asked the State of Florida to stop its push to remove non-U.S. citizens from the state’s voter rolls. The coalition said federal law bans the state from removing voters from the rolls less than 90 days before a federal election. Florida will hold its primary election on August 14.

The move comes after state officials asked local election supervisors to check the status of more than 2,600 people and remove them from the rolls if they were not U.S. citizens. The state claims the move was legal and that it’s obligated to remove ineligible voters.

Internicola, who is of Italian descent, is what political campaigns consider a “super voter” — a voter who regularly cast ballots, even in municipal elections. Broward has more than 500,000 registered Democrats, so the county could play a pivotal role in the outcome of a close presidential or U.S. Senate contest in November.

Internicola has been a registered voter in Broward since November 1991, according to Mary Cooney, a spokeswoman for the supervisor of elections. He has regularly cast ballots in primaries and general elections — including the 2004 and 2008 presidential contests — and in at least a couple of municipal elections.

So far, Broward Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes has indicated that she will comply with the state’s direction to remove voters who don’t prove their citizenship from the list within 30 days of receiving a letter from Snipes’ office which was mailed May 9. (If the notice was returned undeliverable Broward will place a legal notice and then remove their names 30 days after the notice is advertised.)

Snipes plans to hold a press conference Thursday to provide more information about updating the voter rolls.

(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald contributed material for this report.)

patteeu
06-27-2012, 02:42 PM

Good. One mistake so far seems pretty good for government work. I would expect quite a few more. Thankfully, the process has a built in mechanism so that people like Mr. Internicola can easily get reregistered. Of course, Mr. Internicola is probably more interested in grandstanding alongside his democrat rep than voting anyway.

vailpass
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/29/decorated-broward-war-hero-targeted-in-gov-scotts-voter-purge/

(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald contributed material for this report.)

May 29. This story is about as fresh as it was when you pulled it out last month.

fan4ever
06-27-2012, 03:23 PM
How come you only hear about Democrats who are unregistred? No complaints from Republicans? Maybe they consider voting a privilege and don't mind re-registering if it means clean elections.

vailpass
06-27-2012, 03:25 PM
How come you only hear about Democrats who are unregistred? No complaints from Republicans? Maybe they consider voting a privilege and don't mind re-registering if it means clean elections.

Good point. I would be more than happy to re-register if they came to me and said "we're cleaning out all of the illegal voters in Maricopa county, we'll need you to sign in again".
I'd vote for that.

Radar Chief
06-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Good point. I would be more than happy to re-register if they came to me and said "we're cleaning out all of the illegal voters in Maricopa county, we'll need you to sign in again".
I'd vote for that.

Sherriff Joe, I knew it.

mlyonsd
06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd vote for that.In South Dakota during this 6 year cycle of driver's license renewals you are required to bring proof of birth and one document to prove your SSN.

As a citizen I have no problem with it.

vailpass
06-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Sherriff Joe, I knew it.

?

KC native
06-27-2012, 06:13 PM

This implies we currently have dirty elections. Please provide proof that elections have been tainted by ineligible voters and this issue is anything other than a move to kick likely democrat voters off of voter rolls.

KC native
06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
My challenge stands to everyone in this thread, other than Ann Coulter, please provide evidence of voter fraud.

patteeu
06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
This implies we currently have dirty elections. Please provide proof that elections have been tainted by ineligible voters and this issue is anything other than a move to kick likely democrat voters off of voter rolls.

No, it implies that Republicans are interested in clean elections while democrats recognize that they'd probably benefit from the most likely forms of dirtiness that would occur if voters weren't allowed to be IDed.

Radar Chief
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
?

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

mlyonsd
06-27-2012, 06:31 PM
My challenge stands to everyone in this thread, other than Ann Coulter, please provide evidence of voter fraud.Are you claiming that none of the voters purged from Florida's list have ever voted before?

patteeu
06-27-2012, 06:31 PM
?

He's saying he finally figured out that you are Sheriff Joe.

cosmo20002
06-27-2012, 06:33 PM

I think you usually hear from Dems who have been UNregistered although they shouldn't have been. So the question would seem to be why is it that Dems seem to be the ones 'accidentally' kicked off the voters rolls?

cosmo20002
06-27-2012, 06:36 PM
My challenge stands to everyone in this thread, other than Ann Coulter, please provide evidence of voter fraud.

But, but, but--what about all those phony people those ACORN workers signed up to vote? You know, Mickey Mouse and such. Aren't we in danger of Mickey Mouse showing up to cast a vote?

AustinChief
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM

While I agree that it is MOST likely that voter fraud is not a widespread issue... that is just a GUESS on my part. Your contention is also just a guess.

The fact is... if there IS successful voter fraud going on, we may have no clue at all to it's existence. Which is why I support any REASONABLE measure aimed at preventing it from happening.

I simply can't comprehend anyone being AGAINST this unless they simply want non-eligible voters to vote. NO ONE is being marginalized by this program. If you somehow let this program keep you from voting then GOOD, you are too damn stupid and lazy to deserve to vote.

AustinChief
06-27-2012, 06:45 PM
I think you usually hear from Dems who have been UNregistered although they shouldn't have been. So the question would seem to be why is it that Dems seem to be the ones 'accidentally' kicked off the voters rolls?

POINT

|
|
|
V

YOUR HEAD

He is saying that the reason it seems that it is only Dems is because they are the only ones whiny enough to bitch about it. The normal people simply correct the issue and move on.

cosmo20002
06-27-2012, 06:57 PM
POINT

|
|
|
V

YOUR HEAD

He is saying that the reason it seems that it is only Dems is because they are the only ones whiny enough to bitch about it. The normal people simply correct the issue and move on.

I know what he's saying. And I'm saying that perhaps it is because the Rs aren't the ones getting screwed.

AustinChief
06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
I know what he's saying. And I'm saying that perhaps it is because the Rs aren't the ones getting screwed.

Yes, because they have a tin foil hat detector built in to the system that only purges people like you. Seriously? Please explain how they have gamed the system to only effect Dems?

cosmo20002
06-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Yes, because they have a tin foil hat detector built in to the system that only purges people like you. Seriously? Please explain how they have gamed the system to only effect Dems?

You're looking for an answer to the question, "Why are the Ds the only ones bitching about being kicked off?" One possibility is that it is because mostly Ds are being kicked off. The other is that Rs don't care if they get kicked off. I kind of think they would care.

You know, party affiliation is not a secret. The voter rolls include what party you are in. No tin foil hat.

fan4ever
06-27-2012, 07:52 PM
You're looking for an answer to the question, "Why are the Ds the only ones bitching about being kicked off?" One possibility is that it is because mostly Ds are being kicked off. The other is that Rs don't care if they get kicked off. I kind of think they would care.

You know, party affiliation is not a secret. The voter rolls include what party you are in. No tin foil hat.

You're saying Republicans are solely in charge of the voting registration?

cosmo20002
06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
You're saying Republicans are solely in charge of the voting registration?

You mean the voter purge process? Predominately, yes.

fan4ever
06-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Just did a quick check...

http://www.wnd.com/2011/09/344577/

After confessing to what appears to constitute voter fraud, high-level Democratic Party insider Andrea “Andi” Pringle has abruptly quit her post as senior aide to Washington, D.C., mayor Vincent Gray.

The resignation comes as several U.S. states initiate a crackdown on voter fraud. It also comes weeks after it was reported that Lessadolla Sowers, a member of the executive board of the Tunica County, Miss., NAACP, was sentenced to five years in prison for voting 10 times in the names of other people.

fan4ever
06-27-2012, 07:58 PM
You mean the voter purge process? Predominately, yes.

And how does that happen? The Dems let them? This Florida situation was challenged...why wouldn't they all be?

cosmo20002
06-27-2012, 08:03 PM
And how does that happen? The Dems let them? This Florida situation was challenged...why wouldn't they all be?

Florida state govt is mostly Rs.

fan4ever
06-27-2012, 08:04 PM
I simply can't comprehend anyone being AGAINST this unless they simply want non-eligible voters to vote. NO ONE is being marginalized by this program. If you somehow let this program keep you from voting then GOOD, you are too damn stupid and lazy to deserve to vote.

Exaaaaaaactly.

HonestChieffan
06-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Only those who benefit from fraud find this offensive

BucEyedPea
06-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Florida state govt is mostly Rs.

Currently, yes! Overwhelming majority of Floridians support this initiative too.
When you look at the Obama not assisting AZ on immigration along with this by the Rs can you wonder why?

Direckshun
06-27-2012, 09:24 PM
While I agree that it is MOST likely that voter fraud is not a widespread issue... that is just a GUESS on my part. Your contention is also just a guess.

It's not a widespread issue, it's been researched and researched. Fraudulent voting is virtually nonexistent.

If you want to just declare research impossible, then do so. And bury your head in the sand.

In the meantime, I'm not going to endorse potentially disenfranchising Americans from voting while our current laws have worked just fine.

Mr. Kotter
06-27-2012, 09:38 PM
"Nothing wrong with a REP judge erasing Democratic votes from the rolls...."

Move along, nothing to see here....seriously. Move on... :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
06-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Hard to find news on the internet

Most would be embarrassed by trying to exclude, mostly, American citizens from voting---of course, except for RWNJ radio-talk-show fans and their followings...."Dittos, dude!!!"

But NOT you HCF; thanks for being "Honest" dude.... heh.

KC native
06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Just did a quick check...

http://www.wnd.com/2011/09/344577/

After confessing to what appears to constitute voter fraud, high-level Democratic Party insider Andrea “Andi” Pringle has abruptly quit her post as senior aide to Washington, D.C., mayor Vincent Gray.

The resignation comes as several U.S. states initiate a crackdown on voter fraud. It also comes weeks after it was reported that Lessadolla Sowers, a member of the executive board of the Tunica County, Miss., NAACP, was sentenced to five years in prison for voting 10 times in the names of other people.

WND? Seriously?

Anyways, so we've got evidence of two cases. Now, how many votes were cast in the 2008 election?

KC native
06-27-2012, 09:57 PM

The fact is... if there IS successful voter fraud going on, we may have no clue at all to it's existence. Which is why I support any REASONABLE measure aimed at preventing it from happening.

Several researchers have shown that fraudulent voting is a non-issue.

Not even the nut jobs have produced evidence that is an issue and we know innumeracy is their bread and butter.

patteeu
06-27-2012, 10:48 PM
There's no credible research indicating that voter fraud doesn't exist, but even if it didn't, that's no reason to leave the door open and the light on to welcome it in the future.

Mr. Kotter
06-28-2012, 06:40 AM
There's no credible research indicating that voter fraud doesn't exist, but even if it didn't, that's no reason to leave the door open and the light on to welcome it in the future.

So, we've been reduced to placing the burden of proof....on dispoving a negative. Nice. :doh!:

patteeu
06-28-2012, 06:48 AM
So, we've been reduced to placing the burden of proof....on dispoving a negative. Nice. :doh!:

Not quite. My post clearly indicates that even if the negative could be proven, it wouldn't be enough to support a conclusion that we shouldn't take reasonable measure to insure the future integrity of the vote.

Mr. Kotter
06-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Not quite. My post clearly indicates that even if the negative could be proven, it wouldn't be enough to support a conclusion that we shouldn't take reasonable measure to insure the future integrity of the vote.

Then I'm sure you'd agree then, that using the same logic, we ought to pre-empt the possibility of corruption posed by the SC's travesty in the Citizens United decision...with a constitutional amendment?

patteeu
06-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Then I'm sure you'd agree then, that using the same logic, we ought to pre-empt the possibility of corruption posed by the SC's travesty in the Citizens United decision...with a constitutional amendment?

I agree that if you want to change the constitution, that's the way to go. I wouldn't support it though.

A much simpler way to reduce corporate money in campaigns is to repeal the limits of individual donations directly to candidates.

Mr. Kotter
06-28-2012, 07:14 AM
I agree that if you want to change the constitution, that's the way to go. I wouldn't support it though.

A much simpler way to reduce corporate money in campaigns is to repeal the limits of individual donations directly to candidates.

Ah, yes...that would be a much more efficient way to ensure an entrenched plutocracy.

Comrade Crapski
08-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Ah, yes...that would be a much more efficient way to ensure an entrenched plutocracy.

Heh.

Amnorix
08-20-2012, 09:59 AM
No, it implies that Republicans are interested in clean elections while democrats recognize that they'd probably benefit from the most likely forms of dirtiness that would occur if voters weren't allowed to be IDed.

Or perhaps Republicans are glad to sweep many eligible voters who would more likely than not vote Democrat under the guise of reducing voter fraud by illegal voters.

That's the battle. We both know it. If you really think that either side is more interested in clean elections than in winning, then I'm astounded at your naivete.

BucEyedPea
08-20-2012, 10:16 AM
It's not a widespread issue, it's been researched and researched. Fraudulent voting is virtually nonexistent.

If you want to just declare research impossible, then do so. And bury your head in the sand.

In the meantime, I'm not going to endorse potentially disenfranchising Americans from voting while our current laws have worked just fine.

Ah, I don't think it's non-existent nor just on one side.
But from looking at some of the books on the issue over at Amazon it's suspicious that the Democrats have cornered the market on this claim.

I wish I could remember the name of the book that was around in the 90's but it claimed voter fraud was more common than suspected. Just take a look at the videos of those guys with fake ballots at some of the Republican conventions to choose delegates. Caught red handed.

suzzer99
08-20-2012, 01:56 PM

A very large chunk of the voter fraud that has been found has used absentee ballots. So you'd be all for curtailing that right?

Strangely republicans haven't touched absentee ballots - since conservatives tend to use those at a higher %. Sunday voting - now that's where the non-existent imagined fraud lives!

So to recap for the severely logic-challenged (or just full of shit) such as yourself:

The type of voting that has resulted in the few cases of fraud that has been found, and it not helped at all by requiring voter id: not touching.

Any type of voting that disproportionately used by minorities, even if zero documented cases of fraud have ever been found: balls to the wall efforts all over the country, especially swing state to curtail.

The republican party is completely reprehensible right now.

suzzer99
08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Or perhaps Republicans are glad to sweep many eligible voters who would more likely than not vote Democrat under the guise of reducing voter fraud by illegal voters.

That's the battle. We both know it. If you really think that either side is more interested in clean elections than in winning, then I'm astounded at your naivete.

There's no way patteau is that dumb. Some of these other guys yes - but he's winking as he types everything in this thread.

patteeu
08-20-2012, 01:59 PM
A very large chunk of the voter fraud that has been found has used absentee ballots. So you'd be all for curtailing that right?

Strangely republicans haven't touched absentee ballots - since conservatives tend to use those at a higher %. Sunday voting - now that's where the non-existent imagined fraud lives!

So to recap for the severely logic-challenged (or just full of shit) such as yourself:

The type of voting that has resulted in the few cases of fraud that has been found, and it not helped at all by requiring voter id: not touching.

Any type of voting that disproportionately used by minorities: balls to the wall efforts all over the country to curtail.

The republican party is completely reprehensible right now.

I'm in favor of voter ID for absentee ballots too. In fact, if it were possible, I'd be in favor of only letting people who aren't going to be in the precinct on the day of the election (e.g. deployed military) or people who are immobile (e.g. bed-ridden invalids) vote absentee. I'm not sure if there's a good way to do that though.

suzzer99
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
What you're in favor of != what the republican party is doing. At all.

mlyonsd
08-20-2012, 06:03 PM
The republican party is completely reprehensible right now.Are the dems as completely reprehensible right now?

mikey23545
08-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Who will stand up for the dead and the illegal immigrant?

Who?

HonestChieffan
08-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Who?

Precinct Chairmen do that in Chicago. Thats covered.

Comrade Crapski
08-20-2012, 10:55 PM

Who?

Oh... shut up you... you.. reprehensible... ooooh you make me so mad!!! :mad:

mikey23545
08-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Several researchers have shown that fraudulent voting is a non-issue.

Not even the nut jobs have produced evidence that is an issue and we know innumeracy is their bread and butter.

If we haven't been allowed to check on it up till now, how the fuck would we know it hasn't been going on?