PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV LOUIE - Season 3 Premiere - Thursday 6/28

lcarus
06-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Love Louis CK. Looking forward to his shows season 3 premiere tonight. Just a heads up for anyone else that's interested.

10:30 ET

DJ's left nut
06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
First time I've ever watched it.

I blinked and I think it was over. It felt like it had been on for about 5 minutes once the credits started to roll.

I have no idea if that's a good thing or not. It had enough dark charm to it for a 2nd week, but sitting alongside Wilfred is definitely the right spot for it. It clearly isn't for everyone.

Brock
06-28-2012, 10:55 PM
When did Louie's ex become a black chick?

BigMeatballDave
06-28-2012, 11:32 PM
When did Louie's ex become a black chick?

My thought as well.

BigMeatballDave
06-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Great show. I love it.

WTF happened to Gaby Hoffman?

That's the chick that was playing his GF.

Drugs or something.

She's only 30 but she looks 40+.

Reaper16
06-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Louie isn't a show that does continuity. Each sketch features a new, very-slightly different Louie character, not a continuation of the same character.

BigMeatballDave
06-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Louie isn't a show that does continuity. Each sketch features a new, very-slightly different Louie character, not a continuation of the same character.

Yeah, its more like a series of vignettes or sketches.

Otter
06-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Love his stand up, not a huge fan of the show. Watched about 5 episodes and felt like I just watched a slightly funny commercial after they ended. No idea how this is popular.

lcarus
06-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Love his stand up, not a huge fan of the show. Watched about 5 episodes and felt like I just watched a slightly funny commercial after they ended. No idea how this is popular.

I can say it's definitely hit or miss. Last night was a definite miss for me. I mean...what was that?

lcarus
06-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Also, as far as the continuity, the daughters have always been the same, which makes it weird that the ex-wife is a black woman. The daughters in no way came from a black mother.....

cookster50
06-29-2012, 08:44 AM

This.

Reaper16
06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Louie is a top 5, probably top 3, show on television right now.

Brock
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
That wasn't a great episode, but overall the show is sublime. He's now got a successful show, so he can afford to take some weird chances.

Baby Lee
06-29-2012, 01:27 PM
That wasn't a great episode, but overall the show is sublime. He's now got a successful show, so he can afford to take some weird chances.

Yeah, it's one that almost caught me last night. The concept of a casual GF reading WAAAY too much into you not being in a talkative mood on any particular day was a great launching point. And the 'GF' did great with the material she was given. But Louie put himself between a rock and a hard place being too bemused to speak/respond [in character] and conveying his thoughts at events in front of him [exposition/storytelling].

It is an interesting intersection where you are enjoying the company of another person of the opposite sex, but not so much so that you'll expend energy defending yourself or the relationship from attack. Didn't quite mine the concept perfectly, but it was cool he tackled it at all.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Louie is a top 5, probably top 3, show on television right now.

you were high when you typed this weren't you?

Reaper16
06-30-2012, 04:28 PM
you were high when you typed this weren't you?

I'm never high.

1. Mad Men
2. Breaking Bad
3. Louie
4. Parks & Recreation
5. I dunno; lots of shows come to mind here, including Game of Thrones, Justified, Community, and Veep. I haven't watched Girls yet.

BigMeatballDave
06-30-2012, 04:33 PM
I can say it's definitely hit or miss. Last night was a definite miss for me. I mean...what was that?

It was awesome.

His GF freaking out thinking he was gonna break up, but he wasn't, then SHE dumps herself for him and his reaction to it all. LMAO

scho63
06-30-2012, 04:42 PM
I don't find him funny at all, he is like Dane Cook for 40-50 years old set. Some people love him but every time I try to watch his act or show I cringe. I think he sucks

Reaper16
06-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I don't find him funny at all, he is like Dane Cook for 40-50 years old set. Some people love him but every time I try to watch his act or show I cringe. I think he sucks

Are there any contemporary standup comics you enjoy?

BigMeatballDave
06-30-2012, 04:44 PM

How sad that you have zero since of humor.

Comparing him to Cook makes you look completely ignorant.

scho63
06-30-2012, 04:49 PM
How sad that you have zero since of humor.

Comparing him to Cook makes you look completely ignorant.

I find the following people funny:

George Carlin
Redd Foxx
Steven Wright
Eddie Murphy
Gilbert Gottfried
Chris Rock
Rodney Dangerfield
Richard Pryor
Robin Williams

If that makes me ignorant then that makes you as asshole.....

Reaper16
06-30-2012, 04:55 PM
I find the following people funny:

George Carlin
Redd Foxx
Steven Wright
Eddie Murphy
Gilbert Gottfried
Chris Rock
Rodney Dangerfield
Richard Pryor
Robin Williams

I don't know if you're ignorant of anything. I was wanting to see if there was something about a comic from the last 10-15 years that struck your fancy, to see what that comic might be doing for you that a Louis CK doesn't.

scho63
06-30-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't know if you're ignorant of anything. I was wanting to see if there was something about a comic from the last 10-15 years that struck your fancy, to see what that comic might be doing for you that a Louis CK doesn't.

That's a good question...I think Jimmie Fallon is funny but Adam Sandler sucks. I like Kristin Wiig and Tina Fey but not Amy Poehler or Maya Rudolph. I think Neil Patrick Harris is good in How I Met Your Mother but I don't like Zach Braff from Scrubs. Charlie Sheen was fantastic in Two and a Half Men. I like Fraiser, Seinfeld, Taxi and Mash but not the Office, Napoleon Dynamite, or Tropic Thunder. Something About Mary great, Zoolander not so much. Borat was funny for a short time but now he is repetitive with over-the-top silly stuff.

That's my first thoughts....

Brock
06-30-2012, 05:24 PM

You're the reason shitty tv shows are successful.

Agent V
06-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Louis CK went out on a limb with this show, and it paid off beautifully. I think people are put off by it because it's not a straight comedy, and that's difficult for the general American audience to understand. The Duckling episodes were just wonderful -- they're basically one fantastic short film. Not gut-busting hilarious, but charming and touching.

There are some moments in the better episodes that are so sad and so real, you have to laugh. Like when he flips off his own daughter as she walks away.

KcMizzou
06-30-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't find him funny at all, he is like Dane Cook for 40-50 years old set. Some people love him but every time I try to watch his act or show I cringe. I think he sucksWTF? I don't even...

BigMeatballDave
06-30-2012, 05:54 PM

I've been called worse by better...

Cook is NOTHING like CK. Nothing.

That's why you look ignorant.

KcMizzou
06-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Louis CK went out on a limb with this show, and it paid off beautifully. I think people are put off by it because it's not a straight comedy, and that's difficult for the general American audience to understand. The Duckling episodes were just wonderful -- they're basically one fantastic short film. Not gut-busting hilarious, but charming and touching.

There are some moments in the better episodes that are so sad and so real, you have to laugh. Like when he flips off his own daughter as she walks away.The show has a touch of melancholy and introspection that few shows do. (and It's still funny) It has "heart". I love it.

Agent V
06-30-2012, 05:55 PM
How you compare Dane Cook to Louis CK is beyond my fucking comprehension.

Agent V
06-30-2012, 05:58 PM
The show has a touch of melancholy and introspection that few shows do. (and It's still funny) It has "heart". I love it.

Exactly. It's personal, and it's STRAIGHT from Louis CK's brain. No focus-group bullshit or laugh-track humor. It's what happens when you give a truly talented guy full control and artistic freedom.

Red Brooklyn
07-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I watched the first four episodes of season one on Netflix Instant last night. And I was pretty impressed. This is a fantastic show.

Full disclosure - I've never been overly impressed with his stand-up. Shameless is funny enough, but nothing really memorable or especially gripping about it, for me. And I actually think the stand-up segments of the show are the least interesting parts.

The scene work, the sketches, if you will, are genius. I agree with Reaper. I think this is easily one of the top 5 shows on TV right now. And I've only seen 4 episodes!

Red Brooklyn
07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Exactly. It's personal, and it's STRAIGHT from Louis CK's brain. No focus-group bullshit or laugh-track humor. It's what happens when you give a truly talented guy full control and artistic freedom.
Yes!

And unlike other shows that are shocking or controversial for the sake of being so, this show is actually trying to engage it's audience. It's trying to have a conversation.

I love it.

Demonpenz
07-01-2012, 07:43 PM
I watched the first four episodes of season one on Netflix Instant last night. And I was pretty impressed. This is a fantastic show.

Full disclosure - I've never been overly impressed with his stand-up. Shameless is funny enough, but nothing really memorable or especially gripping about it, for me. And I actually think the stand-up segments of the show are the least interesting parts.

The scene work, the sketches, if you will, are genius. I agree with Reaper. I think this is easily one of the top 5 shows on TV right now. And I've only seen 4 episodes!

Bag Of dicks/saddest hand job in the world are pretty much The White Album as far as comics go

BigMeatballDave
07-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Another great episode.

noa
07-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Loved the latest episode. Melissa Leo FTW. That scene in the truck went in so many weird directions.

lcarus
07-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah that was a great episode. So much better than the rather lame first episode.

lcarus
07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Did you all see the 3rd episode? It wasnt particularly funny but it was kinda sad. Like two men cant become close friends because men are so worried about being accused of being gay. At least thats what i took from it.

Baby Lee
07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Did you all see the 3rd episode? It wasnt particularly funny but it was kinda sad. Like two men cant become close friends because men are so worried about being accused of being gay. At least thats what i took from it.

The hemming and hawing when Ramon asked him why he stayed in Miami was funny in a sitcommy way, but ferchissakes, can't anyone have the stones to say they enjoy hanging out [in Miami? Sun drenched by day and lively parties by night?] and credibly establish that it's not a gay thing?

Louie is developing a maddening [though still for the moment mostly humorous] penchant for getting himself into tight situations by being a taciturn pussy.

lcarus
07-13-2012, 05:23 PM
The hemming and hawing when Ramon asked him why he stayed in Miami was funny in a sitcommy way, but ferchissakes, can't anyone have the stones to say they enjoy hanging out [in Miami? Sun drenched by day and lively parties by night?] and credibly establish that it's not a gay thing?

Louie is developing a maddening [though still for the moment mostly humorous] penchant for getting himself into tight situations by being a taciturn pussy.

Thats just the way he is (on the show at least). So far the first and 3rd eps werent exactly that funny whereas the second ep was pretty funny. Thats just mu opinion. But I liked the third episode. It was sad and awkward. He showed that it can be hard for a middle aged man to make new real friends. Like, he enjoyed hanging out with the new dude he met but he couldnt truly confess that to his ex-wife OR the dude just because of how our society is.

Baby Lee
07-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Thats just the way he is (on the show at least). So far the first and 3rd eps werent exactly that funny whereas the second ep was pretty funny. Thats just mu opinion. But I liked the third episode. It was sad and awkward. He showed that it can be hard for a middle aged man to make new real friends. Like, he enjoyed hanging out with the new dude he met but he couldnt truly confess that to his ex-wife OR the dude just because of how our society is.

I guess the comparison I'd make is to Gervais on The [BBC] Office. Gervais brings the cringe by doing cringeworthy things in keeping with his character and weathering the derision/pity of onlookers, while C.K. relies on other characters to impute cringeworthy attributes to him while he sits there largely mute with a bewildered/bemused look on his face.

Gervais builds the uncomfortable through affirmative action, C.K. builds it through weak/inarticulate inaction.

Both approaches have their merits, but I find myself increasingly wishing C.K would/could stand up for himself and diffuse easily reconciled misunderstandings.

lcarus
07-13-2012, 06:42 PM
I guess the comparison I'd make is to Gervais on The [BBC] Office. Gervais brings the cringe by doing cringeworthy things in keeping with his character and weathering the derision/pity of onlookers, while C.K. relies on other characters to impute cringeworthy attributes to him while he sits there largely mute with a bewildered/bemused look on his face.

Gervais builds the uncomfortable through affirmative action, C.K. builds it through weak/inarticulate inaction.

Both approaches have their merits, but I find myself increasingly wishing C.K would/could stand up for himself and diffuse easily reconciled misunderstandings.

Yeah I see what you mean. I think in the case of Louie, at least this particular episode, it wasn't supposed to be funny because it was awkward. I think it was just his way of giving a social commentary sorta. Which is odd because you expect comedy from him, but I can appreciate a sad look at his character being lonely and awkward. I enjoyed it though I didn't view it as a comedy ya know?

noa
07-14-2012, 12:10 AM

I didn't take that as him being a pussy, I took it as him being a guy who didn't want to have to say he wasn't gay.

Baby Lee
07-15-2012, 11:45 AM
I didn't take that as him being a pussy, I took it as him being a guy who didn't want to have to say he wasn't gay.

Doesn't mean it still isn't an easily reconciled misunderstanding. How hard is it to make a case that South Beach can be a relaxing enjoyable place without it being about the blowie and fuckie, regardless of orientation?

Baby Lee
07-20-2012, 04:33 PM
"But seriously, I grow on women, . . . over time, once they get over the . . . baldness, and I can be a bit lumpy"

Truly a pick-up line for today's male. - ROFL ROFL

Brock
07-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Louie's kids are still white.

KcMizzou
07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Louie's kids are still white.FWIW, more of Louie's kids, please. I know they're not really his daughters, but they are some great child actors. His conversations with him seem real. (awkward and real)

Brock
07-20-2012, 10:40 PM
I hope Parker Posey's coming back.

KcMizzou
07-20-2012, 10:54 PM
I hope Parker Posey's coming back.Pretty sure she is for at least one more episode. The last one was "Girlfriend part 1"

Direckshun
07-21-2012, 11:42 AM
That was by far the cutest Parker Posey has ever looked.

Love me some Maria Bamford, too. I wish that could have gone on longer.

KcMizzou
07-21-2012, 12:06 PM
"You're bad at sex."