PDA

View Full Version : Obama Former CBO Director: SCOTUS Ruling Could Increase Cost of Obamacare By $500 Billion O

HonestChieffan
06-29-2012, 04:40 PM
SuperDuper.

Did the Supreme Court just make the Affordable Care Act much less affordable?

The calculations are complex, and the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has said it will need some time to review the situation. But an early back-of-the-envelope analysis by a former CBO director suggests that Thursday’s ruling could sharply raise the cost of President Obama’s signature legislative achievement.

Douglas Holtz-Eakin now serves as president of the conservative American Action Forum, which filed several amicus briefs in support of overturning the health-care law. Holtz-Eakin, who advised 2008 Republican presidential candidate John McCain before he lost to Obama, is no friend of the administration.

Still, he asks a relevant question: Given the terms of the ruling, what’s the worst-case scenario for the federal budget? His answer: around $50 billion a year.

“There’s real money at stake here,” Holtz-Eakin said.

How does it work? The Affordable Care Act seeks to cover the uninsured in two ways: It requires states to expand Medicaid to cover those earning less than 133 percent of the federal poverty level, with the federal government initially picking up the full tab (though federal funding would later fall to cover just 90 percent of the cost of expansion). It also creates new subsidies to help people at slightly higher income levels afford private insurance on new insurance exchanges.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/supreme-court-ruling-could-boost-the-cost-of-health-care-reform-ex-cbo-chief-says/2012/06/29/gJQAMXlbBW_story.html

petegz28
06-29-2012, 04:51 PM
What's another $500 bil?

HonestChieffan
06-29-2012, 04:56 PM
What's another $500 bil?

Can always tax the poor saps in the military

healthpellets
06-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Can always tax the poor saps in the military

or maybe the top income earners. that seems a bit more palatable.

RedNeckRaider
06-29-2012, 08:13 PM
What's another $500 bil?

Is that even a rounding number anymore?

HonestChieffan
06-29-2012, 08:23 PM

Thats the answer to everything isn't it

BucEyedPea
06-29-2012, 08:53 PM

Why? Because that would run the govt for three more minutes?

CoMoChief
06-29-2012, 09:05 PM
You guys MUST understand that these criminals in DC simply DO NOT CARE.

This Obamacare is going to cost trillions of dollars..........dollars that we do not have. Plain and simple.

Complete and total tyranny.

healthpellets
06-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Thats the answer to everything isn't it

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/401950_10150893394136275_1522916730_n.jpg

healthpellets
06-29-2012, 09:12 PM
You guys MUST understand that these criminals in DC simply DO NOT CARE.

This Obamacare is going to cost trillions of dollars..........dollars that we do not have. Plain and simple.

Agreed. We should have just passed single payer for all from the git go and there never would have been legal challenges and time wasted. Still expensive, but a much better investment.

Tyranny? Really? ROFL

cosmo20002
06-29-2012, 09:23 PM

Tyranny = Campaigning on health care reform, getting elected, proposing health care reform, debate in Congress, bill passed in House, bill passed in Senate, bil signed into law by President, Supreme Court rules law constitutional. :drool:

TYRANT!

CoMoChief
06-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Tyranny = Campaigning on health care reform, getting elected, proposing health care reform, debate in Congress, bill passed in House, bill passed in Senate, bil signed into law by President, Supreme Court rules law constitutional. :drool:

TYRANT!

Yeah let's not forget all of the secret meeting and payoffs and threats it took for the bill to pass. And that's mostly from BO's own democrap party.

Let's see if you can try to answer this question.

What part of Obamacare makes it constitutional? What part in the US constitution does it say the govt is allowed to force people to buy govt ran HC?

Dylan
06-29-2012, 09:37 PM
http://www.easyvectors.com/assets/images/vectors/afbig/hammer-and-sickle-clip-art.jpg

Bought and paid for by President Barack Obama & Democrats

cosmo20002
06-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah let's not forget all of the secret meeting and payoffs and threats it took for the bill to pass. And that's mostly from BO's own democrap party.

What part of Obamacare makes it constitutional? What part in the US constitution does it say the govt is allowed to force people to buy govt ran HC?

There were meetings? Holy shit!

Maybe you didn't hear, but a court, some sort of SUPREME court, I believe recently released some sort of opinion about the consitituionality of Obamacare. I'll refer you to that to answer your questions.

healthpellets
06-29-2012, 09:40 PM

i don't know if you're aware of how the judiciary works, but when the SCOTUS rules on the constitutionality of an issue, it's pretty settled until the issue is brought before the Court again and the Court changes its ruling.

nor may you be aware that the Constitution is a single page document, and that 90% of the rulings that have come from the SCOTUS have come from interpretation of the single page document.

finally, maybe you aren't aware, but the Congress has the power to tax and spend (Art. 1, Sec. 8, Cl. 1 if you wanna look it up) and hence the power to tax the people of this great land should they choose to forego obtaining health insurance.

Dylan
06-29-2012, 09:59 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gpjXowfFSGg/TbAPRp4RifI/AAAAAAAAAIM/d6W5jqwTzhY/s1600/footballstates.gif

How should we split up the country if Barack Obama is re-elected to a second term?

California, Hawaii, Oregon & Washington can become the new secession of the "Many Troubles Western Frontier"

CoMoChief
06-29-2012, 10:08 PM
i don't know if you're aware of how the judiciary works, but when the SCOTUS rules on the constitutionality of an issue, it's pretty settled until the issue is brought before the Court again and the Court changes its ruling.

nor may you be aware that the Constitution is a single page document, and that 90% of the rulings that have come from the SCOTUS have come from interpretation of the single page document.

finally, maybe you aren't aware, but the Congress has the power to tax and spend (Art. 1, Sec. 8, Cl. 1 if you wanna look it up) and hence the power to tax the people of this great land should they choose to forego obtaining health insurance.

So this is one giant tax on the American people.......even though the politicians that pressing for it claimed it wouldn't be? Got it.

Funny how they want to purposely mis-interpret tax in order to make someone "buy" something.

healthpellets
06-29-2012, 10:12 PM
So this is one giant tax on the American people.......even though the politicians that pressing for it claimed it wouldn't be? Got it.

Funny how they want to purposely mis-interpret tax in order to make someone "buy" something.

see, here's your problem.

you want the ACA to be unconstitutional and invalid so bad that you can't accept that when the Court rules it be constitutional that it simply is.

now, you don't have to like it, or think it's the best thing ever, or whatever. but you can no longer argue that it's unconstitutional. that argument no longer has merit.

healthpellets
06-29-2012, 10:18 PM

do you not see how Roberts has carefully crafted his entire opinion in order to achieve a much larger goal?

he upheld the ACA via the tax and spend clause previously discussed which is an enumerated power given to Congress.

he sides with liberals in upholding ACA, but agrees with the conservative bloc on every major issue.

he has risen above partisan politics. he's, for a time, beyond reproach.

but what he's set up, and what i think we'll see over the next 10ish years, is a ratcheting down of federal power via the commerce clause. Roberts did nothing to expand the reach of the federal government through the commerce clause, and has started drawing some boundaries which will continue to draw down the power of the federal government.

in the end, this was a step to limit federal reach and authority.

Dylan
06-29-2012, 10:29 PM
But, Barack Obama and Nancy "Let them eat cake" Pelosi said over and over to us (serfs) that this is not a TAX!

"Let me be absolutely clear..."

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJVMWjTQh_Y?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJVMWjTQh_Y?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Barack Obama vows to not raise taxes on Americans earning less than $250,000...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5_-qh9XDbgE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5_-qh9XDbgE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

cosmo20002
06-29-2012, 10:30 PM

No, only if you refuse to have health insurance.

And does it really make a difference to you if it was called a penalty, fine, levy or whatever? You're ok with those, right?

cosmo20002
06-29-2012, 10:35 PM
But, Barack Obama and Nancy "Let them eat cake" Pelosi said over and over to us (serfs) that this is not a TAX!

Brain Dead Reublican: "I didn't like it before, but I only thought it was a PENALTY for not having health insurance. Or maybe a FINE. But now that its been labelled a TAX, I'm really outraged!" :drool:

healthpellets
06-29-2012, 10:38 PM

i get the impression that you're not all that bright.

Dylan
06-29-2012, 10:44 PM
President Barack Obama and the Democratic Party lied to the citizens of the United States. You reap what you sow!

http://z.about.com/d/philadelphia/1/0/J/liberty_bell_1.jpg

For Whom Does The Bell Toll?

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
-Samuel Adams, 1780

Dylan
06-29-2012, 10:49 PM
i get the impression that you're not all that bright.

You're no more than a classical illustration of cognitive dissonance!

cosmo20002
06-29-2012, 10:50 PM
President Barack Obama and the Democratic Party lied to the citizens of the United States. You reap what you sow!

I thought it was a penalty and it turns out it was a tax. I've been tricked!

/mentally challenged Republican

stonedstooge
06-29-2012, 10:59 PM
I thought it was a penalty and it turns out it was a tax. I've been tricked!

/mentally challenged Republican

"You got to pass it to see what's in the bill"-Nancy Pelosi Democratic lambslambs "Aye"

CoMoChief
06-29-2012, 11:12 PM
What everyone fails to realize that this is a giant tax that's going to be paid to the giant private banks that own the insurance companies that bought this bill. Plain and simple.

cosmo20002
06-30-2012, 12:06 AM
What everyone fails to realize that this is a giant tax that's going to be paid to the giant private banks that own the insurance companies that bought this bill. Plain and simple.

No sure I understand that, but if you do buy health insurance your money will be going to the insurance companies.

bandwagonjumper
06-30-2012, 04:51 AM
How do you come up with $500 billions? In the article he says $50 billions. Maybe you object in principle but it is too much to expect to check your fact first? Not that it matter.

mikey23545
06-30-2012, 06:39 AM
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/401950_10150893394136275_1522916730_n.jpg

This is a typical bullshit lie, all that liberals have to fall back on since their golden boy has failed so very, very badly.

The tax rate shown for Romney is based on the taxes he paid on income he received from capital gains and interest income which of course is taxed on a different tax rate than income earned from ordinary income. Next you'll be showing what the rate he paid in property taxes on his house is compared to the teacher's income tax, I guess...

If that school teacher invests her money then the tax rate she will pay on her investment earnings will be the same as Romney's...

Oh, and the Romney's also gave about 16% of their income to charity besides the 13.9% they paid in taxes.

You know how to tell when a liberal is lying?

Their lips are moving (well, in this case their fingers are moving on their keyboards).

healthpellets
06-30-2012, 07:26 AM
This is a typical bullshit lie, all that liberals have to fall back on since their golden boy has failed so very, very badly.

The tax rate shown for Romney is based on the taxes he paid on income he received from capital gains and interest income which of course is taxed on a different tax rate than income earned from ordinary income. Next you'll be showing what the rate he paid in property taxes on his house is compared to the teacher's income tax, I guess...

If that school teacher invests her money then the tax rate she will pay on her investment earnings will be the same as Romney's...

Oh, and the Romney's also gave about 16% of their income to charity besides the 13.9% they paid in taxes.

You know how to tell when a liberal is lying?

Their lips are moving (well, in this case their fingers are moving on their keyboards).

You're right. That teacher should have waited to be born until there was a silver spoon in her mouth so that she could live off of investment income from family investments her whole life.

Ya, you pretty much nailed it.

|Zach|
06-30-2012, 08:06 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gpjXowfFSGg/TbAPRp4RifI/AAAAAAAAAIM/d6W5jqwTzhY/s1600/footballstates.gif

How should we split up the country if Barack Obama is re-elected to a second term?

California, Hawaii, Oregon & Washington can become the new secession of the "Many Troubles Western Frontier"

You people are great.

tredadda
06-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Why? Because that would run the govt for three more minutes?

Not to Dems. To them the rich have an unlimited supply of money that can be used to fund any and every govt program that they can imagine for an indefinite amount of time.

tredadda
06-30-2012, 09:17 AM
There were meetings? Holy shit!

Maybe you didn't hear, but a court, some sort of SUPREME court, I believe recently released some sort of opinion about the consitituionality of Obamacare. I'll refer you to that to answer your questions.

At one point in time they also ruled that segregation was constitutional. Just sayin'.

stevieray
06-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Read the bill? READ THE BILL?

RedNeckRaider
06-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Read the bill? READ THE BILL?

Steve, I would be surprised if a handful of those pushing or supporting this bill have done so~

healthpellets
06-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Steve, I would be surprised if a handful of those pushing or supporting this bill have done so~

here, this might be helpful for those who want to "read" it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/vb8vs/eli5_what_exactly_is_obamacare_and_what_did_it/c530lfx

RedNeckRaider
06-30-2012, 11:29 AM
here, this might be helpful for those who want to "read" it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/vb8vs/eli5_what_exactly_is_obamacare_and_what_did_it/c530lfx

This is just a heipful link to those who have not read the bill in its entirety. Of course you have right?

Braincase
06-30-2012, 11:55 AM

What do supposed her dispensable income is, compared to Romney's? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess her dad wasn't the President of a Auto Manufacturer.

Taxes on investments are taxed at a lower rate because that's where the wealthiest people earn their money, and they own the system.

FD
06-30-2012, 11:57 AM
What do supposed her dispensable income is, compared to Romney's? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess her dad wasn't the President of a Auto Manufacturer.

Taxes on investments are taxed at a lower rate because that's where the wealthiest people earn their money, and they own the system.

Investment is taxed at a lower rate because it leads to more investment, and hence more economic growth and higher wages in the long run.