PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Dems: Mandate is not a tax!

mikey23545
07-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Mandate Is Not A Tax, Dammit!

If you pay attention to politics, you're gonna hear some really bizarre things come out of the mouths of politicians. But even after all these years, they still surprise me sometimes.

In the aftermath of the Supreme Court's creative 5-4 split decision upholding the ObamaCare mandate on the grounds it is a tax, Democrats are surprising me by refusing to take 'yes" for an answer. Top Democrats are still insisting the mandate is NOT a tax.

Let's start with Henry Waxman (D-CA), who helped write the Affordable Care Act. Yesterday, Waxman said it's "ridiculous" for Republicans to call the individual mandate a tax increase. He castigated Republicans for raising this alleged "phony issue":

The policy is not a tax increase because people have a way of avoiding it, Waxman said.

"It's a penalty, but through the tax code, because that's an efficient way of picking it up," he said. "So when Republicans say this is a tax — and I've seen charges this is the biggest tax increase in American history — that's ridiculous. This is not a real tax increase. It's a requirement that everybody get health insurance."

Excuse me, Rep. Waxman, but it wasn't "Republicans" who said the mandate was a tax increase, it was the Supreme Court, and if not for that questionable categorization of the mandate, the ObamaCare legislation you wrote would be mincemeat right now. Your admission that the mandate is "a requirement that everybody get health insurance" is an admission that your legislation is an unconstitutional violation of the Commerce Clause (which the Court agreed with).

Waxman is not the only Democrat who is still insisting the mandate is not a tax. So is…hold on to you hat…THE WHITE HOUSE. Here's Obama Press Secretary Jay Carney:

"It's a penalty, because you have a choice. You don't have a choice to pay your taxes, right?" Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One.

Here we have the White House contradicting the Supreme Court decision. I have to give the White House some credit, because it has always insisted the ObamaCare mandate was not a tax. There has been no flip-flopping from it on that point. And I agree with these Democrats. The mandate is NOT a tax, which means the Supreme Court decision to uphold ObamaCare was the WRONG decision. Yet, the White House LOVES this incorrect decision to uphold it's unconstitutional mandate. Go figure.

Politicians makes no sense. No sense whatsoever. They will take whatever position is convenient for them at the moment.

It's obvious why these Democrats are rejecting the idea that the mandate is a tax now, because if it is, it violates Obama's promise not to raise taxes on the middle class (which ObamaCare did regardless, but Democrats don't want you to know that either). The White House argues it is a tax in Court, and then it argues it isn't a tax out of Court. They want to have their cake and eat it too. What a farce. I'd laugh, but there's nothing funny about this.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/all-da-king-s-men/all-da-king-s-men-1.297964/democrats-still-insist-mandate-not-a-tax-1.317656

stonedstooge
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Chief of Staff for the King refused to even say the word "tax" on the Sunday morning political shows. I guess if you refuse to say the word, it doesn't exist

Pawnmower
07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
You do realize the Repubs said it isnt a tax when it was Romney Care in massachussets, right?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HymUU7OADbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Garcia Bronco
07-02-2012, 02:53 PM
It's a Tax...that no one will make you pay....heheh....yet. If you want to boil a frog...

mikey23545
07-02-2012, 02:57 PM
You do realize the Repubs said it isnt a tax when it was Romney Care in massachussets, right?

OMG....We've gone from "It's Bush's fault" to "It's Romney's fault!"...ROFL

No wonder so many people think you're a buffoon...LMAO

Bump
07-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I've heard from several people (I know, big case study) that this bill is going to be a huge help to some of their family members that otherwise were going to be left for dead over money. If that is the case and this really does help some people out, than that's a good thing if you ask me.

Pawnmower
07-02-2012, 03:10 PM
OMG....We've gone from "It's Bush's fault" to "It's Romney's fault!"...ROFL

No wonder so many people think you're a buffoon...LMAO

WTF Are you even talking about? Fault?

Romney AGREES that it isn't a tax.....I am not saying that I agree....Its a tax, a fee, an assessment...whatever...It doesnt ****ing matter what you call it. You are a fucking idiot.

Are you insane?

http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2012/07/02/awkward-agreement-mitt-romney-backs-president-obama-contention-that-health-care-mandate-not-tax/bADpt3ZP7UOmdCsNIiFkoJ/story.html

I am just posting that even some in the GOP leadership are trying to play word games...

Amnorix
07-02-2012, 03:38 PM
It's obviously a tax. It's also pretty obviously Constitutional as a tax.

Democrats are playing the same games with semantics that Romney did with the universal health care here in Massachusetts because the word "tax" is four letters to politicians.

Everyone got it now? Great.

BucEyedPea
07-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I've heard from several people (I know, big case study) that this bill is going to be a huge help to some of their family members that otherwise were going to be left for dead over money. If that is the case and this really does help some people out, than that's a good thing if you ask me.

It helps some and hurts others. It's still economic fascism though.

RedNeckRaider
07-02-2012, 04:01 PM

Democrats are playing the same games with semantics that Romney did with the universal health care here in Massachusetts because the word "tax" is four letters to politicians.

Everyone got it now? Great.

Oh most of us get it. It is just another confirmation of of why I view both parties with disdain. " America will fall without a shot being fired. It will fall from within" Nikita Khrushchev. Two parties and no choice~

Calcountry
07-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Here ye here ye, Chief Justice of the Land, Lord Roberts has proclaimed it a tax. Therefore it be a tax.

Munson
07-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Its not a tax, because Nancy Pelosi said so. :shake:

Iz Zat Chew
07-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Even if it's a big stone in the road to bankruptcy for the country? Currently we are spending $1 Trillion plus every year that we don't have. People need help yes, but the solution is not the government. Government solutions to problems is to throw money at a problem, doesn't get us where we need to be and it does keep us moving down the path of insolvency.

Calcountry
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Everyone got it now? Great.Yes, but the time for having that cake is over. It is now time to eat it.

Chocolate Hog
07-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Even mitt Romney says its not a tax. What a fucking joke.

BucEyedPea
07-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Even mitt Romney says its not a tax. What a ****ing joke.

Between the two of them, this is the best the Establishment gives us for a choice? ROFL

Pawnmower
07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Between the two of them, this is the best the Establishment gives us for a choice? ROFL

I actually agree...the choices are absolute dog shit.

And sadly it is an improvement from the last election by the Repubs...LOL

We went from douche bag to turd sammwich.

Chocolate Hog
07-03-2012, 12:12 AM
I actually agree...the choices are absolute dog shit.

And sadly it is an improvement from the last election by the Repubs...LOL

We went from douche bag to turd sammwich.

If John McCain would have been 2000 McCain it wouldn't have been so bad. Might have Obama as president if that were the case.

alanm
07-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Waxman's POV doesn't surprise me at all.
Just looking at a photo of the guy tells me he's a moron.
Pointing out the fact that California voters elected him would be rubbing it in.

petegz28
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
It's only a tax when it comes to getting the law passed. Now that the law has been passed it is no longer a tax because that sounds bad. It wasn't a tax until it needed to be then once the need was gone it reverted back to not being a tax. It's a penalty that you pay in the form of filing your taxes. Sheesh, it's as clear as mud people, can't believe no one gets it!

Amnorix
07-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Oh most of us get it. It is just another confirmation of of why I view both parties with disdain. " America will fall without a shot being fired. It will fall from within" Nikita Khrushchev. Two parties and no choice~

Well, if it takes one to know one, that Khruschev had us nailed... Never was a system more dysfunctional than Soviet Russia. World power to broken into pieces in 40 years. Pathetic.

Amnorix
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Here ye here ye, Chief Justice of the Land, Lord Roberts has proclaimed it a tax. Therefore it be a tax.

More like any fee collected by the IRS solely through a reduction of a tax refund is a tax, no matter what label you TRY to slap on it.

Chief Henry
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Now the "private sector is doing fine".