PDA

View Full Version : General Politics State congresswoman accidentally mis-votes, legislation passes

SNR
07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
At first I was like :LOL:

Then I was like :facepalm:

But then I was like LMAO

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/03/2176029/how-a-lawmakers-mistaken-vote.html

RALEIGH -- The look on her face said it all.

Charlotte Democrat Becky Carney stood on the House floor Monday night with her mouth agape. She looked horrified. Embarrassed. Sick to her stomach.

Moments earlier, she cast the deciding vote to override Gov. Bev Perdue’s veto on a bill to advance natural gas exploration. The problem? She opposed the bill. Voted against it days earlier. And now she made it law.

Yes, the state of North Carolina approved fracking, one of the most controversial pieces of legislation this year, by accident.

The 10-year veteran lawmaker hit the wrong button on her desk. Carney punched the thumbnail-sized green button that says “AYE” just above the red one that says “NO.”

“Oh, my God,” she said on the floor. “It won’t let me change my vote.”

For all the maneuvering, arm-twisting and political horse-trading Republicans employed to get a handful of Democrats to void their party leader’s veto just before 11:30 p.m. Monday, it came down to a mistake.

“You ever see my golf game?” said state Sen. Bob Rucho, a bill sponsor, after the vote. “It’s based on luck, not on skill.”

Carney tried to reverse her vote but Republicans blocked it. Democrats called the move “disgraceful.”

House Speaker Thom Tillis said he was comfortable with the process. “There’s a green button and a red button; they should know which one to push,” he said.

In the glow of TV camera lights, just before midnight, this is how Carney said happened:

The vote took her by surprise. Republicans limited debate on the fracking legislation – Senate bill 820 – and called the vote. Green button to override. Red button to sustain.

Carney hit the button and looked to the board above the chamber that shows the results: 72 to 46. The color next to Carney’s name matched the Republicans.

She panicked. She hit a different button to turn on her microphone and called to the House speaker on the dais. He didn’t recognize her. So she rushed to the front, 20 steps from her seat in the eighth row down the red-carpeted middle aisle.

Carney asked the clerk to check her vote. Green. Override.

She then asked Tillis if she could change her vote. Tillis said House rules prevented it.

Lawmakers mistakenly vote all the time but they are not permitted to change a vote if it affects the outcome.

Carney rushed back to her desk and called to the speaker. She wanted to request the House waive the rules – not an uncommon procedure – to allow her to change her vote.

Tillis didn’t respond. He went quickly to his Republican leader, Paul “Skip” Stam of Apex, who moved a “clincher vote” to essentially seal the verdict and prevent reconsideration of the vote. It passed.

A vote without a predetermined outcome is rare in the legislature. But Republican leaders held this vote without knowing if they had the support.

Carney felt horrible – and upset. “This late at night, tired and an important vote of this magnitude I should have been allowed that courtesy,” she said.

She is no stranger to voting. The 67-year-old served on the Mecklenburg County Commission for three terms before being elected to the state legislature in 2002. At one point, her name was mentioned as a possible candidate for Charlotte mayor.

“I made a huge mistake,” Carney said. “I pushed the green button instead of the red button.”

One other Democrat knows how she feels. Rep. Jean Farmer-Butterfield, a Wilson Democrat, cast a decisive, mistaken vote last year to support term limits for legislative leaders, allowing it to pass the House. But in her case, the bill didn’t become law. The Senate never considered it.

Carney’s vote is different. And she knew it. Just before midnight, as the House took a break, her Democratic colleagues approached, offering a consoling hug and sad, knowing faces. Soon the TV cameras and reporters arrived.

In her decade in Raleigh, she told reporters, this is the first time she voted wrong.

“I take full responsibility for my vote,” she said. “I made a mistake.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/03/2176029/how-a-lawmakers-mistaken-vote.html#storylink=cpy

Pawnmower
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
L

O

L

SHe fracked up BAD.

mikey23545
07-04-2012, 12:47 AM
“I made a huge mistake,” Carney said. “I pushed the green button instead of the red button.”

One other Democrat knows how she feels. Rep. Jean Farmer-Butterfield, a Wilson Democrat, cast a decisive, mistaken vote last year to support term limits for legislative leaders, allowing it to pass the House.

What the fuck is it with the women legislators not being able to tell the difference between red and green? Are we getting a glimpse of what the problem is with women drivers?

mlyonsd
07-04-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm really starting to think a lot of our elected officials only run for office because they're not employable in the real world.

Rain Man
07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
It seems like one should be able to change their vote within 60 seconds of voting. I can see not letting people change just because they might do it for political reasons once they see how the voting is turning out, but it seems like they could correct a mistake.

SNR
07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IoWJkrlptNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>