PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Ouya - Android-based Game Console

Swanman
07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
I just ran across this new console on Cheapassgamer. Basically it's a group raising money to fund the production of a new console that will run games and other apps that you can get on Android Market. In a nutshell, you will be able to link the console to your tv instead of just using those apps on your phone or tablet. One interesting thing about it is the developers actually encourage rooting the device. Here is a link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

SuperChief
07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
This is incredible. A really great idea.

duncan_idaho
07-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Hope Google does a better job vetting apps and keeping malware out of this console than it does with Android.

After-fact removal of the offending malware doesn't do much good for those who have had critical information stolen. I know two people who have had malware sting them on Android phones. One is about the same level of tech savvy as me (above-average). The other is hopelessly clueless and wouldn't have any idea how to run security apps (as I know that's the answer most will bring up).

mikeyis4dcats.
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
meh, most apps look like crap on tablets, let along a tv

Swanman
07-10-2012, 02:51 PM
meh, most apps look like crap on tablets, let along a tv

It has a tegra 3 processor which can get a pretty good image on a tv.

Worst case scenario since it is open source it can be a nice MAME box.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
It has a tegra 3 processor which can get a pretty good image on a tv.

Worst case scenario since it is open source it can be a nice MAME box.

I'm talkng about development of the apps. App developers are not even all on board with developing for tablets, let alone tvs.

SuperChief
07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
This should open the door for higher-end development on televisions through this medium.

Swanman
07-10-2012, 03:31 PM
This should open the door for higher-end development on televisions through this medium.

There are several games on my Transformer Prime that look amazing but the lack of a controller really holds the game back for me. This particular console could solve that for me.

vailpass
07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Hope Google does a better job vetting apps and keeping malware out of this console than it does with Android.

After-fact removal of the offending malware doesn't do much good for those who have had critical information stolen. I know two people who have had malware sting them on Android phones. One is about the same level of tech savvy as me (above-average). The other is hopelessly clueless and wouldn't have any idea how to run security apps (as I know that's the answer most will bring up).

You've had data stolen from your phone via malware?

duncan_idaho
07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
You've had data stolen from your phone via malware?

Not me. People I know.

BCD
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM

I've never heard of such a thing. I've been using Android for 2.5 yrs. I don't even use antivirus.