PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done a body cleanse?

Saul Good
07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I've been told by my trainer that I need to do a five to seven day cleanse. Anyone have any experience with them?

vailpass
07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
This is going to get messy.

petegz28
07-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Your skin tends to prune after 10 minutes or so in the water. Might want to stretch that out a bit.

Count Zarth
07-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I bet your trainer thinks red meat is bad, too.

MoreLemonPledge
07-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Just don't buy your enema from CVS.

Count Zarth
07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Does she recommend eating multiple small meals, too?

Saulbadguy
07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Could be a good way to kickstart yourself in to healthy eating habits.

Bearcat
07-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Luckily, I was built with a liver and kidneys.

Pestilence
07-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Cleanse as in what exactly? Juicing cleanse?

Fruit Ninja
07-10-2012, 04:38 PM
last week. i ate to many plums from our plum tree. lol

Saul Good
07-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Does she recommend eating multiple small meals, too?

No. He just recommends doing a cleanse on occasion in order to maximize workout results. Unlike you, some people realize that there are multiple ways to be fit and healthy.

Count Zarth
07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
But some ways cost more than others. LMAO

Ceej
07-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I normally cleanse 2-3x a day.

Depending what I ate the previous day.

Buck
07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Get a new trainer.

Saul Good
07-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I guess I forgot to thank Clay and Buck in advance for ignoring this thread. I know that both of you have recently lost a little weight and thus know more than anyone in the world about fitness.

Detoxing
07-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I've been thinking about doing this as well. Whether it does anything or not, i have no idea. I wanna do it for myself. My own peace of mind.

I eat so much junk food it's starting to take its toll on my health.

Wait.....what kinda cleanse are we talking about?

Pestilence
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
I've been thinking about doing this as well. Whether it does anything or not, i have no idea. I wanna do it for myself. My own peace of mind.

I eat so much junk food it's starting to take its toll on my health.

Wait.....what kinda cleanse are we talking about?

I asked that and it got lost in the bullshit.

Iowanian
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
I've done one.

It was like drinking blended alfalfa and hay and shitting like a goose.

Toadkiller
07-10-2012, 04:53 PM
I did a 30 day juice fast, does that count?

Detoxing
07-10-2012, 04:53 PM
I've done one.

It was like drinking blended alfalfa and hay and shitting like a goose.

hahaha.

I wanna do a cleanse just to see what kinda nasty shit comes out of me

Detoxing
07-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I did a 30 day juice fast, does that count?

30 Days?

Fuck that.

I was thinking like 2-4 Days tops.

Iowanian
07-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Nothing like the ads.

Just running the hay water through a strainer.

Detoxing
07-10-2012, 04:56 PM
We should do a ChiefsPlanet cleanse and then post pictures of the nasty shit that comes out.

ROFL ROFL

Bwana
07-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Luckily, I was built with a liver and kidneys.

LMAO

Otter
07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Juicing will for a couple days will give you a nice body cleanse.

I usually do something along the lines of:

Kale
Ginger
Red Beets
Pear/Apple

It's like cleaning the bottom of your lawnmower with your tongue but it's healthy and keeps the motor running. Drink lots of water, about a gallon a day.

saphojunkie
07-10-2012, 05:04 PM
If you want to do an enema, fine. A cleanse merely deprives your body of absolutely essential vitamins, amino acids, fiber, protein, and a host of other nutrients.

There's nothing healthy about drinking cayenne pepper and lemon for two weeks.

Silock
07-10-2012, 05:05 PM
No. He just recommends doing a cleanse on occasion in order to maximize workout results. Unlike you, some people realize that there are multiple ways to be fit and healthy.

Maximize workout results? What a crock of shit (not directed at you . . . just the trainer). How can you possibly maximize your workout results if you aren't giving your body what it requires (fats, proteins, along with vitamins).

There is zero scientific evidence for the efficacy of cleanses in terms of ridding the body of "toxins." The only thing a cleanse is good for is caloric reduction, which can be done in any number of ways that don't deprive your body of valuable nutrients.

Count Zarth
07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
How much money did you pay that trainer?

saphojunkie
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
yeah dude, if you want to clean yourself out, just buy three pounds of organic cherries and snack on them all day.

You'll be shitting jet fuel.

DaFace
07-10-2012, 05:08 PM
I've always thought of those kinds of things as being similar to chiropractors - some people swear by them, but there's not much evidence out there to suggest they have much of a long-term effect.

Phobia
07-10-2012, 05:11 PM
We should do a ChiefsPlanet cleanse and then post pictures of the nasty shit that comes out.

ROFL ROFL

Every time I do a ChiefsPlanet cleanse, it results in 1000 post threads whining.

Bearcat
07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
I guess I forgot to thank Clay and Buck in advance for ignoring this thread. I know that both of you have recently lost a little weight and thus know more than anyone in the world about fitness.

You have the two CP fitness gurus at your service... who needs the advice of a professional who may very well have been in shape prior to last summer?

Oh, and a guy named Detoxing... perfect!

vailpass
07-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Asked the wife, her trophy wife friend does the lemon cleanse. Looks fucking insane to me but here you go...

http://www.falconblanco.com/health/cleansing/lemoncleanse.htm

Bearcat
07-10-2012, 05:16 PM
As far as the actual advice though, it's alway seemed like a load of BS to me... I once read an article that even said the colon cleanser stuff is designed to come out the backend all black and stringy just to give you the impression that something happened. But, if you ask 10 people, you'll probably get 10 different opinions.

http://lifehacker.com/5908996/why-body-detoxification-is-a-myth-and-you-should-stop-wasting-money-on-detox-products

Buck
07-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Why dont you just eat a healthy diet and your body will be clean?

What does a cleanse even do other than make you shit a lot? What's the point if you're just gonna go back to eating shit?

Saul Good
07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
You have the two CP fitness gurus at your service... who needs the advice of a professional who may very well have been in shape prior to last summer?

Most Star Wars geeks are great fitness resources.

I'm in good shape. After working with him for a month doing cross training, I'm really seeing results.

Count Zarth
07-10-2012, 05:22 PM
After working with him for a month doing cross training, I'm really seeing results.

Does your wife know about your gay action on the side?

Silock
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
No offense, but doing going from doing nothing to being active consistently for a month will produce results in everyone and it won't matter what you're doing. So, I wouldn't take that as a sign of him doing it. At this point, all the progress is YOU. You should be proud of that.

Saul Good
07-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Most Star Wars geeks are great fitness resources.

I'm in good shape. After working with him for a month doing cross training, I'm really seeing results.

I should say that I was in good shape to begin with. I've gone from being in good shape to gaining a good deal of muscle in just a few weeks.

Buck
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
The only time I've ever done a cleanse was when I needed to make weight for football and I played like shit in those games.

Saul Good
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
No offense, but doing going from doing nothing to being active consistently for a month will produce results in everyone and it won't matter what you're doing. So, I wouldn't take that as a sign of him doing it. At this point, all the progress is YOU. You should be proud of that.

That's great, but it's not what I did.

Silock
07-10-2012, 05:27 PM
So, what did you do?

Rausch
07-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Juicing will for a couple days will give you a nice body cleanse.

I usually do something along the lines of:

Kale
Ginger
Red Beets
Pear/Apple

It's like cleaning the bottom of your lawnmower with your tongue but it's healthy and keeps the motor running. Drink lots of water, about a gallon a day.

How 'bout I drink a gallon of natural light for a week only i enjoy myself while $#itting my brains out.

Saul Good
07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
So, what did you do?

I went from eating moderately well and exercising to eating a little better, exercising, and doing cross fit training twice a week.

I was getting a little soft, so I decided to step it up a little. It's not like I was a fat guy or anything.

Silock
07-10-2012, 05:32 PM
That's still on you, not him. Eating less calories + more exercise = results for anyone. It's the same principle.

Detoxing
07-10-2012, 05:37 PM

If you can't take advice from a guy named Detoxing......about Detoxing....

then who can you take advice from? Hrmmmm? Mr. Smarty pants? Hrmmmm?

Brock
I'd tell the trainer that you're five to seven times smarter than the people he's used to dealing with.

Saul Good
That's still on you, not him. Eating less calories + more exercise = results for anyone. It's the same principle.

Right. I'm not under the illusion that he's injecting muscles into my body through an IV. What he has done is work the shit out of me and kicked my ass for a month, and I've started packing on muscle while slimming down through the waist. That's sort of what trainers do, and that's the point of cross fit.

Bearcat
07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
If you can't take advice from a guy named Detoxing......about Detoxing....

then who can you take advice from? Hrmmmm? Mr. Smarty pants? Hrmmmm?

Exactly.

vailpass
07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Why can't you all just let Saul be happy? If he likes what he's doing good on him. Let the brother cleanse if he wants to cleanse.

Orange whip anyone? Orange whip? Orange whip?

Detoxing
07-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Right. I'm not under the illusion that he's injecting muscles into my body through an IV. What he has done is work the shit out of me and kicked my ass for a month, and I've started packing on muscle while slimming down through the waist. That's sort of what trainers do, and that's the point of cross fit.

Just do it. Why not? I wouldn't recommend working out while doing it (doesn't really make much sense since you won't be fueling your body any) but it's not like it's gonna kill ya.

Live a little. Take a massive disgusting dump. It'll be great.

Ima follow the plan in that Vailpass link. I'll take pictures and tell you guys all about it.

Detoxing
07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
The real question is.....

Can you cleanse AND smoke weed?

Ultimate metabolism burn right there......if you can resist the munchies ( I can....Weed actually kills my appetite now)

Silock
07-10-2012, 05:44 PM

If someone is able to put on a lot of muscle in a short period of time after exercising for a long period of time, then what that person was doing before wasn't doing anything correctly in terms of resistance training. It's very hard to put on muscle after the initial novice gain phase wears off. You're still in that phase. Enjoy it!

I wouldn't do the cleansing thing, though. Not even a little bit.

vailpass
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Just do it. Why not? I wouldn't recommend working out while doing it (doesn't really make much sense since you won't be fueling your body any) but it's not like it's gonna kill ya.

Live a little. Take a massive disgusting dump. It'll be great.

Ima follow the plan in that Vailpass link. I'll take pictures and tell you guys all about it.

:spock: Really dude, your word is bond around here. You don't have to show pictures, we'll believe you.

Silock
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Why can't you all just let Saul be happy? If he likes what he's doing good on him. Let the brother cleanse if he wants to cleanse.

Orange whip anyone? Orange whip? Orange whip?

Because he asked?

Cleansing is fucking retarded.

vailpass
07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Because he asked?

Cleansing is ****ing retarded.

I don't have a dog in this race. Why is cleansing retarded?

Silock
07-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Read the thread. That question has been answered already :) It's also been answered in many other threads over the years asking the same exact question.

Saul Good
07-10-2012, 05:50 PM
If someone is able to put on a lot of muscle in a short period of time after exercising for a long period of time, then what that person was doing before wasn't doing anything correctly in terms of resistance training. It's very hard to put on muscle after the initial novice gain phase wears off. You're still in that phase. Enjoy it!

I wouldn't do the cleansing thing, though. Not even a little bit.

You understand that not all exercise is designed to do the same thing, right? Marathon runners, for example, don't look yoked. I guess they must either be doing it wrong or doing something with a different goal in mind.

vailpass
07-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Read the thread. That question has been answered already :) It's also been answered in many other threads over the years asking the same exact question.

As if.

Silock
07-10-2012, 05:52 PM
That's why I said "in terms of resistance training." I thought that was pretty self-explanatory. Resistance training = weight training, not marathon running.

Brock
07-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Zero benefit, other than possible calorie reduction while you're doing it.

Count Zarth
07-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Saul, has your trainer warned you about the dangers of starvation mode?

Silock
07-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Saul, has your trainer warned you about the dangers of starvation mode?

ROFL

Urc Burry
07-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Cleansing diets are pointless. They actually lower your metabolism and you just end up gaining the weight right back. Not to mention you are going to feel like shit throughout that period.

Pawnmower
07-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Eat 2 boxes of grape nuts and use prune juice as 'milk'

You will be clean in 2 days.

Rudy lost the toss
07-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Did the lemon cleanse from the link. Wasn't that bad although I couldn't get used to the salt water. It's a good jump start to any crash diet. Curbed my appetite and sugar cravings. It's not a lifestyle change obviously but it's not bad for when you need to lose a little. I'm a stress eater so I'll sometimes put on 10-15 pounds.

Fruit Ninja
07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
yeah dude, if you want to clean yourself out, just buy three pounds of organic cherries and snack on them all day.

You'll be shitting jet fuel.

i have a cherry tree, it doesnt do it for me, plums on the other hand! oooh boy. lol

lewdog
07-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I would get a new trainer if I was you. I would never recommend that to any client, for any reason.

You can change your body through exercise and diet manipulation, you don't need a cleanse for any reason.

luv
07-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Why dont you just eat a healthy diet and your body will be clean?

What does a cleanse even do other than make you shit a lot? What's the point if you're just gonna go back to eating shit?

I think this is the key question. I think they're good if you're switching your eating habits. Clean it out and start new. Necessary? No. They are definitely absolutely pointless if you're just going to keep eating the same thing you were before.

Chocolate Hog
07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
I would get a new trainer if I was you. I would never recommend that to any client, for any reason.

You can change your body through exercise and diet manipulation, you don't need a cleanse for any reason.

What's cleansing do to the body?

Buck
07-10-2012, 08:11 PM
What's cleansing do to the body?

It makes you really hard headed, apparently.

Chocolate Hog
07-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I know a girl who did it. She lost a lot of weight she was really bitching throughout and she kinda looked unhealthy.

luv
07-10-2012, 08:17 PM
I know a girl who did it. She lost a lot of weight she was really bitching throughout and she kinda looked unhealthy.

You shouldn't do it for a prolonged period of time. Most cleanses I know of are ten days.

Saul Good
07-10-2012, 08:28 PM
He suggested a five day cleanse. It isn't some deal where you consume nothing but the drinks, though. I'm not doing it, though.

luv
07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
He suggested a five day cleanse. It isn't some deal where you consume nothing but the drinks, though. I'm not doing it, though.

The one I did was a couple of pills in the morning, and a couple of pills in the evening. My friend did one that was a lot of ground up veggies. She still ate some solid foods, except animal protein. Hers was ten days, too. So many different ones.

Valiant
07-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Like a colon cleanse?? Take off of work for a few days from what I have heard..

ThaVirus
07-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Hmmm, I was just reading into that salt water flush. Sounds kind of cool; I may try it out. Wouldn't mind eliminating months of waste built up for months.

NewChief
07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
I give myself an Aunt Jemima enema once a month. Works fucking wonders.

Bambi
07-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I do this once in a while. It's not exactly cheap but great for your abs

www.blueprintcleanse.com

La literatura
07-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I had a colonoscopy several years ago and was required to do a cleanse. After they do the procedure, you fart for about 30 minutes. It's cool.

Count Zarth
07-10-2012, 10:28 PM
I give myself an Aunt Jemima enema once a month. Works fucking wonders.

Oh man, then you can get yo ass eaten with syrup

cdcox
07-10-2012, 11:24 PM
I cleanse every day at 10:00. Fiber bar and 20 oz of coffee will do that for you.

The Pedestrian
07-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Watch out with some of those cleansing diets...too low sodium and/or sugar levels can put you in the hospital.

That said...

Fasting. 24-hour water fast, which they recommend twice a month. That's going to clean you out and get you to crave some real nutrients. Some even go the extra mile to fast in 16-hour periods, work out, and then eat all three meals at once...every day.

Silock
07-11-2012, 05:27 AM
. Some even go the extra mile to fast in 16-hour periods, work out, and then eat all three meals at once...every day.

I do that, but it has nothing to do with cleansing or craving "real" nutrients.

bevischief
07-11-2012, 06:11 AM
How 'bout I drink a gallon of natural light for a week only i enjoy myself while $#itting my brains out.

ROFL

bevischief
07-11-2012, 06:29 AM
What type of cleanse are you after?

Fish
07-11-2012, 07:34 AM
I don't get how everybody keeps throwing around the term "Clean you out"... Clean what out? Your gastrointestinal system is actually incredibly efficient. It's not like some old pipe plumbing system that gets lime and rust buildup. Everything you swallow gets digested and broken down and passes completely through your body, it doesn't get left behind to buildup and need cleaning. If that actually were the case, some really bad shit would happen. But you have a bacterial film lining the inside of your guts that protects your guts and prevents anything from "Sticking", so to speak.

As it is, your liver and kidneys don't need any help. And it's foolish to think you could do so better than your body. None of the cleansing crap you buy is going to do better than your own body. It will just purge your body, which does more harm than good.

Your internals aren't "Dirty", and don't need regular "Cleansing". That's an absurd idea created by people trying to sell you shit by making you feel guilty. It's all bunk.

tooge
07-11-2012, 09:04 AM
I've done a cleans in a sense that worked very well. I essentially went vegan for about a week. No dairy, no meat, no eggs, no processed carbs. I even went very light on whole grains, limiting those to one cup of oatmeal for breakfast with berries. I lost 8 lbs in that week, shit like a goose, and felt great. I've kept the weight off too.

Brock
07-11-2012, 09:43 AM
I've done a cleans in a sense that worked very well. I essentially went vegan for about a week. No dairy, no meat, no eggs, no processed carbs. I even went very light on whole grains, limiting those to one cup of oatmeal for breakfast with berries. I lost 8 lbs in that week, shit like a goose, and felt great. I've kept the weight off too.

So why did you stop?

Omaha
07-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I've been told by my trainer that I need to do a five to seven day cleanse. Anyone have any experience with them?

I did a 3 day cleanse as recommended by my trainer that lead me into eating somewhat paleo. It seemed to work quite well for me. I lost some weight & had a lot of energy, but the biggest difference was my skin. My complexion is completely clear & my wife keeps telling me I look younger.

Hays
07-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I have heard of the GM diet "cleanse" and people seem to get good results from it.

It is a 1 week cleanse.

tooge
07-11-2012, 09:55 AM
So why did you stop?

Well, I've stopped the total vegan thing just because I was getting tired of trying to come up with recipes that were all fruit, bean, veggie, and whole grain. I'm still doing it about 80% of the time, but I'm allowing myself some grilled salmon about twice a week. I did cheat one day for a bbq contest last week tho. I'll probably continue to eat this way. An example of a typical lunch would be a burrito made of beans, mushrooms, onions, red and green peppers, and cabbage (spiced up with chili powder, cumin, and garlic), on a whole wheat tortilla with a tomato, cilantro, onion, and tomatillo salsa. Very tasty and very good for you.

siberian khatru
07-11-2012, 10:13 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3U4q5j-1gEA/Sm4BR55ye9I/AAAAAAAABx8/SFYQDLqtarY/s400/colonblow3.jpg

vailpass
07-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Well, I've stopped the total vegan thing just because I was getting tired of trying to come up with recipes that were all fruit, bean, veggie, and whole grain. I'm still doing it about 80% of the time, but I'm allowing myself some grilled salmon about twice a week. I did cheat one day for a bbq contest last week tho. I'll probably continue to eat this way. An example of a typical lunch would be a burrito made of beans, mushrooms, onions, red and green peppers, and cabbage (spiced up with chili powder, cumin, and garlic), on a whole wheat tortilla with a tomato, cilantro, onion, and tomatillo salsa. Very tasty and very good for you.

One of our roomates in grad school ate like this. He was a stinky gaseous bastard.

tooge
07-11-2012, 10:16 AM
yeah, I'm fartin more than i ever have. Nice long, quiet and generally not very smelly farts. Just incredibly satisfying.

vailpass
07-11-2012, 10:17 AM
yeah, I'm fartin more than i ever have. Nice long, quiet and generally not very smelly farts. Just incredibly satisfying.

LMAO thanks so much for sharing.

Ceej
07-11-2012, 10:32 AM

aka queef.

NewChief
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM

Bittman's new book is called something like, "Vegan Until 6" or some such. He espouses eating vegan all day long, then at night, eating whatever you want (within limits of portions, obviously).

Those of us who do Intermittent Fasting are basically already doing this, except we're eating nothing until dinnertime instead of just vegan.

tooge
07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Bittman's new book is called something like, "Vegan Until 6" or some such. He espouses eating vegan all day long, then at night, eating whatever you want (within limits of portions, obviously).

Those of us who do Intermittent Fasting are basically already doing this, except we're eating nothing until dinnertime instead of just vegan.

thats basically what I'm doing now, except i'm only doing the meat thing a couple of times a week, and it's fish. I can get pretty satisfied with whole wheat or quinoa pasta with marinara sauce for dinner.

Fish
07-11-2012, 11:20 AM

What exactly is that supposed to "cleanse"? That just sounds like temporary changes in your diet. Which is a very good thing in itself, but I don't understand why that would be considering a cleansing?

Omaha
07-11-2012, 11:40 AM
The idea is that your body will rid itself of toxins that build up.

Brock
07-11-2012, 11:42 AM

It does that anyway, 24/7/365.

BucEyedPea
07-11-2012, 11:50 AM
I do a liver, gallbladder and parasite cleanse. Used to do it about every fifteen months but it's been years.
I got hundreds of gall stones out and fair amount of parasites which many people have. On the other hand a friend did these and got nothing out. Depends on the individual. My skin looked amazing afterwards and others noticed it too. Haven't done one in a long time but this thread is a good reminder.

La literatura
07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I drink hot green tea in the fall and winter, not really because I think it tastes great, but because of its antioxidents, which I understand are supposed to fight off some toxins. Is this reasonable?

La literatura
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
fair amount of parasites which everyone has.

What kind of parasites do I have? Or do I want to know?

ChiefsandO'sfan
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CvDyc871fJg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CvDyc871fJg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Saulbadguy
07-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I do a liver, gallbladder and parasite cleanse. Used to do it about every fifteen months but it's been years.
I got hundreds of gall stones out and fair amount of parasites which many people have. On the other hand a friend did these and got nothing out. Depends on the individual. My skin looked amazing afterwards and others noticed it too. Haven't done one in a long time but this thread is a good reminder.

:LOL:

Fish
07-11-2012, 11:59 AM

What toxins? Why and how would "toxins" build up at all? Everybody throws that term around, but nobody that believes it seems to know WTF it even means. There's no scientific proof that any "toxins" remain in your body that aren't processed naturally, that would need any additional cleansing.

In biological terms, your body naturally rids itself of anything it needs to throughout the digestive process. There is no allowance for "toxin" buildup. Your body isn't like a trash can where you regularly have to scrape the gunk off the sides after it cakes on over time. Your body just doesn't work that way.

The whole "cleansing of toxins" is nothing but homeopathic bullshit to take your money. And there's tons of proof of this...

http://life.seven-seas.com/detox-cleanse-getting-rid-of-what-you-have-already-go-in-your-system#axzz20L0mhxP0

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4083

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3FX_oJ8MCTY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefnj2
07-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Is there a single study that shows one's body excretes additional toxins while on a "cleansing" regime/diet?

Fish
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM

How many parasites did you count? Were they the little angry faced ones with octopus arms?

Omaha
07-11-2012, 12:52 PM
What toxins? Why and how would "toxins" build up at all? Everybody throws that term around, but nobody that believes it seems to know WTF it even means. There's no scientific proof that any "toxins" remain in your body that aren't processed naturally, that would need any additional cleansing.

In biological terms, your body naturally rids itself of anything it needs to throughout the digestive process. There is no allowance for "toxin" buildup. Your body isn't like a trash can where you regularly have to scrape the gunk off the sides after it cakes on over time. Your body just doesn't work that way.

The whole "cleansing of toxins" is nothing but homeopathic bullshit to take your money. And there's tons of proof of this...

http://life.seven-seas.com/detox-cleanse-getting-rid-of-what-you-have-already-go-in-your-system#axzz20L0mhxP0

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4083

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3FX_oJ8MCTY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't really care to argue the point. I'm no expert on this subject. I'll just tell you that I had a pretty good experience with the cleanse that my trainer recommended to me. Maybe I have a sensitivity to Gluten and/or dairy or there's some other explanation, but I had good results.

I've been reading "Clean" by Alejandro Junger. It's a good read if you're really interested in the subject. I know several people at my gym who've experienced excellent results after taking some of the suggestions made in that book.

Silock
07-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Anecdotal evidence doesn't really mean much, TBH.

Fish
07-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't really care to argue the point. I'm no expert on this subject. I'll just tell you that I had a pretty good experience with the cleanse that my trainer recommended to me. Maybe I have a sensitivity to Gluten and/or dairy or there's some other explanation, but I had good results.

I've been reading "Clean" by Alejandro Junger. It's a good read if you're really interested in the subject. I know several people at my gym who've experienced excellent results after taking some of the suggestions made in that book.

So you have no idea what it's supposed to treat, or how it's supposed to treat it, or why you would need to be treated for it. And despite all that, you're convinced that you had "Good results"? That doesn't make a lick of sense, if you don't know what it was supposed to do..

Doesn't your book explain anything? What has your reading revealed, since you're recommending it?

Here's a remark about your book, from a dietician association:

Meanwhile, Gwyneth Paltrow's detox guru, Alejandro Junger, must be raking it in. His 21-day Clean detox programme involves having 'liquid meals' for breakfast and dinner and a light meal at lunch.

The kit he sells includes supplements and a manual and retails for 230 plus postage and packing. The problem is that there's very little scientific evidence to back up the claims made for detox diets, says Ursula Arens, a registered dietician and spokesperson for the British Dietetic Association.

'Dieticians are scientists, which means we like facts and definitions,' she says. 'The term detox doesn't mean anything. As a result, people can claim something detoxes you without having to prove it.

'These diets and supplements work by overinterpreting bits of data and putting them together to mislead consumers.' '

'It's ridiculous to think of your digestive system and your colon as a purification plant or a sewer that needs to have its pipes flushed through and a holiday,' says Ursula Arens.

'The body actually has a massive overcapacity to dispose of toxins. 'As for the need to cleanse the colon, it is constantly cleansing itself by renewing the mucus layer that protects the colon wall from being exposed to toxins. So, flushing pints of water through it with things like colonic irrigation is one of the more damaging things you can do to it.'

Does it bother you that lots of actual doctors and scientists say it's complete BS?

Saulbadguy
07-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Anecdotal evidence doesn't really mean much, TBH.

WHAT

Omaha
07-11-2012, 02:02 PM
So you have no idea what it's supposed to treat, or how it's supposed to treat it, or why you would need to be treated for it. And despite all that, you're convinced that you had "Good results"? That doesn't make a lick of sense, if you don't know what it was supposed to do..

Doesn't your book explain anything? What has your reading revealed, since you're recommending it?

Does it bother you that lots of actual doctors and scientists say it's complete BS?

Well, I don't think I said any of that. I certainly didn't mean to. I said I had a good experience with the cleanse that my trainer recommended. The results were exactly what he said they'd be. As I also said, that could have more to do with me having a sensitivity to dairy or gluten than the "cleansing of toxins from my body." This is why, as Silock said, anecdotal evidence doesn't really mean much.

I haven't done any of the cleanses in the book. In fact, I'm only halfway through it. I was merely recommending it as an interesting read rather than referring to it as gospel. From your earlier post, I got the impression that you were interested in the subject & wanted to get an idea what the fuss was about. That's why I'm reading it. I think it's an interesting theory.

Finally, no, it doesn't bother me that scientists think it's a load of BS. I think a lot of it is a load of BS.

Fish
07-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Well, I don't think I said any of that. I certainly didn't mean to. I said I had a good experience with the cleanse that my trainer recommended. The results were exactly what he said they'd be. As I also said, that could have more to do with me having a sensitivity to dairy or gluten than the "cleansing of toxins from my body." This is why, as Silock said, anecdotal evidence doesn't really mean much.

I haven't done any of the cleanses in the book. In fact, I'm only halfway through it. I was merely recommending it as an interesting read rather than referring to it as gospel. From your earlier post, I got the impression that you were interested in the subject & wanted to get an idea what the fuss was about. That's why I'm reading it. I think it's an interesting theory.

Finally, no, it doesn't bother me that scientists think it's a load of BS. I think a lot of it is a load of BS.

Fascinating. Thanks for the reply.

vailpass
07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
What kind of parasites do I have?

Vaginal.

luv
07-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Well, we know KC Fish won't be doing any cleanses.

Saul Good
07-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't get how everybody keeps throwing around the term "Clean you out"... Clean what out? Your gastrointestinal system is actually incredibly efficient. It's not like some old pipe plumbing system that gets lime and rust buildup. Everything you swallow gets digested and broken down and passes completely through your body, it doesn't get left behind to buildup and need cleaning. If that actually were the case, some really bad shit would happen. But you have a bacterial film lining the inside of your guts that protects your guts and prevents anything from "Sticking", so to speak.

As it is, your liver and kidneys don't need any help. And it's foolish to think you could do so better than your body. None of the cleansing crap you buy is going to do better than your own body. It will just purge your body, which does more harm than good.

Your internals aren't "Dirty", and don't need regular "Cleansing". That's an absurd idea created by people trying to sell you shit by making you feel guilty. It's all bunk.

That's an interesting theory you've got there. The nearly one million Americans who had a heart attack last year will be relieved to learn that they don't have plaque in their arteries.

Cholesteral isn't a concern, and I won't even bother brushing my teeth anymore. The body cleans it's own insides so well that there is simply no need to intervene.

Omaha
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
That's an interesting theory you've got there. The nearly one million Americans who had a heart attack last year will be relieved to learn that they don't have plaque in their arteries.

Cholesteral isn't a concern, and I won't even bother brushing my teeth anymore. The body cleans it's own insides so well that there is simply no need to intervene.

:thumb:

Bearcat
07-11-2012, 03:05 PM

I don't believe the heart is part of the gastrointestinal system.

Saul Good
07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't believe the heart is part of the gastrointestinal system.

And?

His quote was, in part, "your internals aren't dirty". It's going to be a huge relief to a lot of people who thought they had clogged arteries, high cholesterol, tooth decay, etc.

Saulbadguy
07-11-2012, 03:20 PM
He probably meant you don't have pounds of impacted feces in your colon.

Omaha
07-11-2012, 03:23 PM
He probably meant you don't have pounds of impacted feces in your colon.

Does anyone believe that to be true?

Bearcat
07-11-2012, 03:23 PM
And?

His quote was, in part, "your internals aren't dirty". It's going to be a huge relief to a lot of people who thought they had clogged arteries, high cholesterol, tooth decay, etc.

Seems like it's the topic of discussion and the whole point of his post, considering this is a thread about cleansing that system and he started his post with "Your gastrointestinal system is actually incredibly efficient..."

I think some people are just using "cleanse" and "change of diet" interchangeably.... yes, if you eat less, you get hungry. If you change your diets, certain cravings will fade and you could very well feel better... that doesn't mean you're rinsing away stuff in your intestines and getting rid of the so-called toxins.

Just Passin' By
07-11-2012, 03:24 PM

So you're saying that Saul Good is full of shit?

Bearcat
07-11-2012, 03:27 PM

I'm sure people have made a decent amount of money off colon cleanser treatments, so yes.

Omaha
07-11-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm sure people have made a decent amount of money off colon cleanser treatments, so yes.

Fair enough. I didn't think that was the type of "cleanse" we were discussing.

Omaha
07-11-2012, 03:30 PM
So you're saying that Saul Good is full of shit?

No

Fish
07-11-2012, 03:31 PM

LMAO.... ummm.... LMAO...

Artery obstruction and plaque have absolutely zero to do with gastrointestinal "cleansing", or toxins, or pretty much anything in discussion here. They are in no way comparable.

And you're even trying to compare arterial plaque to dental plaque. WTF?

Arterial plaque is caused by excess fat and fibrin in the blood. You don't get it from any outside source and it's not a toxin, it's produced by your body naturally. Dental plaque is a bacterial biofilm. And although you don't want a huge plaque buildup on the teeth because that can lead to other harmful things, the bacteria that makes up dental plaque is actually beneficial to your body.

I swear, I'm going to switch to the homeopathy profession. One could put aside their ethics and make a freakin killing....

Fish
07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
And?

Why on earth would you confuse the blood circulatory system with the digestive system?

Clogged arteries and high cholesterol are due to the body's reaction to horrible diet and exercise. It has nothing to do with any toxins or "Dirty internals". When a person neglects a healthy diet and exercise, fat naturally builds up in the body. Even including the lining of your arteries. That's what clogs arteries, not dirty mysterious toxins. Nothing you eat magically escapes your digestive system and lodges itself in your blood circulatory system. It's a natural function of an unhealthy body. Cholesterol medication actually does something to your body. There is detailed proof of exactly what it treats, and how it functions. Go ask a doctor what "Cleansing product" you should use to treat cholesterol, and see what they say.

HemiEd
07-11-2012, 03:55 PM
How many parasites did you count? Were they the little angry faced ones with octopus arms?

ROFL

Saul Good
07-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Why on earth would you confuse the blood circulatory system with the digestive system?

Clogged arteries and high cholesterol are due to the body's reaction to horrible diet and exercise. It has nothing to do with any toxins or "Dirty internals". When a person neglects a healthy diet and exercise, fat naturally builds up in the body. Even including the lining of your arteries. That's what clogs arteries, not dirty mysterious toxins. Nothing you eat magically escapes your digestive system and lodges itself in your blood circulatory system. It's a natural function of an unhealthy body. Cholesterol medication actually does something to your body. There is detailed proof of exactly what it treats, and how it functions. Go ask a doctor what "Cleansing product" you should use to treat cholesterol, and see what they say.

I have never once used the word toxins. Your post started about the digestive system and proceeded to expand to the entire body.

HemiEd
07-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Brilliance, simply brilliant. ROFL