PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Jeff Bridges admits 'Iron Man' had no script

Fried Meat Ball!
07-16-2012, 11:29 AM
http://io9.com/5417310/jeff-bridges-admits-iron-man-movie-had-no-script

Iron Man may have seemed as polished as fresh power-armor, but the movie actually had no screenplay at all, says Jeff Bridges. The chaos freaked him out, until he decided to think of it as a $200 million student film.

In an interview with InContention, Bridges explained that the Marvel superhero movie rushed into production to make its release date, with the director and star making up scenes as they went along:

"They had no script, man. They had an outline. We would show up for big scenes every day and we wouldn't know what we were going to say. We would have to go into our trailer and work on this scene and call up writers on the phone, 'You got any ideas?' Meanwhile the crew is tapping their foot on the stage waiting for us to come on."

Bridges, director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. would literally act out sequences during primitive rehearsals, Downey taking on Bridges's role and vice versa, to find and essentially improvise their way to full scenes, the actor recounts. Bridges says that the entire production was probably saved by the improv prowess of the film's director and star.

"You've got the suits from Marvel in the trailer with us saying, 'No, you wouldn't say that,'" Bridges continued. "You would think with a $200 million movie you'd have the shit together, but it was just the opposite. And the reason for that is because they get ahead of themselves. They have a release date before the script, ‘Oh, we'll have the script before that time,' and they don't have their shit together.

"Jon dealt with it so well," Bridges continues. "It freaked me out. I was very anxious. I like to be prepared. I like to know my lines, man, that's my school. Very prepared. That was very irritating, and then I just made this adjustment. It happens in movies a lot where something's rubbing against your fur and it's not feeling right, but it's just the way it is. You can spend a lot of energy bitching about that or you can figure out how you're going to do it, how you're going to play this hand you've been dealt. What you can control is how you perceive things and your thinking about it. So I said, ‘Oh, what we're doing here, we're making a $200 million student film. We're all just fuckin' around! We're playin'. Oh, great!' That took all the pressure off. ‘Oh, just jam, man, just play.' And it turned out great!"

Molitoth
07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
and it turned out to be the best Marvel movie BY FAR.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Just by reading this little interview, I think Jeff Bridges really is The Dude.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I'd believe the Avengers had no script.

Pitt Gorilla
07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
I'd believe the Avengers had no script.It certainly appeared that way at times.

Lzen
07-16-2012, 12:30 PM

The Dude abides.

Demonpenz
07-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Most of the movies I have worked on lately have been scriptless as well. As you may remember the famous scene in "Demonpenz..is not bad" there was a scene where the main character went through some tough times scraping cheese off of the spinning plate in the microwave, only to have cheese from a rouge pizza roll burn to the plate. That scene was completely off the cuff and the audience was ribbited

Fried Meat Ball!
07-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Most of the movies I have worked on lately have been scriptless as well. As you may remember the famous scene in "Demonpenz..is not bad" there was a scene where the main character went through some tough times scraping cheese off of the spinning plate in the microwave, only to have cheese from a rouge pizza roll burn to the plate. That scene was completely off the cuff and the audience was ribbited

You're a big nasty mult, aren't you?

Mr. Laz
07-16-2012, 12:59 PM
people have been adding 'improv' to movies lately because it add to a more realistic talking style but i don't know of any other blockbuster with 'no script'

Baby Lee
07-16-2012, 01:02 PM

I have a froggy memory of that scene.

vailpass
07-16-2012, 01:06 PM

You read my freaking mind! I thought the exact same thing: dude is The Dude. And it's a good thing.

Aries Walker
07-16-2012, 01:37 PM
people have been adding 'improv' to movies lately because it add to a more realistic talking style but i don't know of any other blockbuster with 'no script'
Me neither. I know Eddie Murphy improv'ed a lot of his dialogue in Beverly Hills Cop, as did Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket, but they had scripts to work with and just inserted their own rants into it. Directors do that all the time - Spielberg added the scene in Saving Private Ryan when Upham breaks down on the stairs on the fly, for example - but that's not like having no script. I have a feeling Bridges is exaggerating.

Demonpenz
07-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I have a froggy memory of that scene.

probably because you were drinking a Bud-Wies-errrr

IGNITION

Demonpenz
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
A little known facts about the Frogs in the budwieser commercials. They weren't given a script at all. They were just told to do improv on an empty stomach on the famous "Lot 11" which had been changed to what the key grips called "Lilly Pad Mania!" So of course what came out at the end was pure. Ribbiting.

Demonpenz
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Of course AFI had that song Leaving song part II. Which was very losely was based on the song Leaving Song part I that indeed had no script.

WhiteWhale
07-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Thank god they just took 'Batman begins' and changed it to match Iron Man's backstory.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-16-2012, 04:14 PM

LMAO

Never change man

Aries Walker
07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Iron Man's backstory is almost identical to the one he had in 1963. Batman's is more or less the same as it has been since 1939. They made Batman a bit of a playboy in the newer movies, but otherwise the only thing they have in common is that they're both filthy rich.

Demonpenz
07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
It is truely a Froggy Frog world out there.

I was writing a script the other day, and I was wondering why having OLD TIMEY guns weren't as scary as New Guns like a glock and it is because test audiences had this to say. "Whenever I see an old gun, I expect a flag to fly out with the trigger is pointed that says "BANG!""

So I ended up keeping that in my script. The bad guy shoots a gun and out flys a flag from Atlanta Fulton County staduim 1989..for Jeff Blauser day!

morphius
07-17-2012, 09:02 AM
and it turned out to be the best Marvel movie BY FAR.
Probably because the studio didn't have a chance to make their edits and mess it up.

Deberg_1990
07-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Well, hes right about the preset release date stuff. That happens all the time now and movies get rushed.

But this movie started filming well in advance of its release date. probably a full year. It wasnt rushed like alot of them are.

If anything, Iron Man 2 was alot more rushed.

Bridges needs to go smoke another bowl....

Frazod
07-17-2012, 09:51 AM
I wish somebody would rush Abrams - it's bullshit having to wait four years between Star Trek movies. 4321

whoman69
07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
I could believe Very Bad Things had no script.

shitgoose
07-17-2012, 02:29 PM
http://thugbot.net/lebowski/

Guru
07-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I wish somebody would rush Abrams - it's bullshit having to wait four years between Star Trek movies. 4321

no shit!!!!!!:#

Frazod
07-17-2012, 09:58 PM
no shit!!!!!!:#

Christmas of next year? WTF? That has summer blockbuster written all over it.

Guru
07-17-2012, 10:00 PM

Just wait until they push it back 6 months again too.

Deberg_1990
07-17-2012, 10:08 PM

No, um pretty sure it has a firm mid may 2013 release date........as of right now. But the first one did get pushed back from Christmas 08 to May 09.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
07-17-2012, 10:20 PM
No, um pretty sure it has a firm mid may 2013 release date........as of right now. But the first one did get pushed back from Christmas 08 to May 09.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, that's good. I heard Christmas of '13.

Guru
07-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Well, that's good. I heard Christmas of '13.

Until it gets pushed back 6 months to Christmas of '13. :D