PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Best Chinese Buffet in Springfield

LocoChiefsFan
08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
We're in town for my Daughters Softball National Championship, and we're all craving Chinese. So real quick, because they(Hungry ball players) are waiting for me to pick a place to eat. What's the BEST Chinese Buffet in town?

luv
08-02-2012, 04:32 PM
We're in town for my Daughters Softball National Championship, and we're all craving Chinese. So real quick, because they(Hungry ball players) are waiting for me to pick a place to eat. What's the BEST Chinese Buffet in town?

I like New China on Glenstone just south of Battlefield.

luv
08-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Where's the championship at? Killian's?

LocoChiefsFan
08-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Okay, thanks!! That's where we'll go then!!

Baby Lee
Follow the stray cats

LocoChiefsFan
Yeah

luv
08-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Actually, I think it's called Great Wall. I just know the sign is yellow and red...lol.

South on Glenstone. Take a left on Erie (first light past Battlefield Rd). It's on the corner.

bevischief
08-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Follow the stray cats

You mean lack of?

Captain Obvious
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I like New China Buffet behind Andy's Custard on Campbell, I believe.

evolve27
08-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Asian King buffet was decent when I used to live there. But I don't know if I'm with the majority on this but after I eat at a chinese place I don't want to see it for a couple months. Enjoy the overweight crowd with mounds of food!

Bwana
08-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Be safe and Good Luck!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN42C8cbfMBkrZRLvlxCCvaDM8U0q5TaP3RmFYqvmE78AVp93rR4HRd9d5

Baby Lee
08-02-2012, 05:05 PM
I thought Springfield was a Mecca of sorts for good Chinese [source of General Tso's and all that]. Has that reputation waned?

evolve27
08-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I thought Springfield was a Mecca of sorts for good Chinese [source of General Tso's and all that]. Has that reputation waned?

Springfield 'Cashew Chicken' was supposedly first created here. Although I'm 1000% certain the Commy Chinese invented Chinese food and had cashew chicken before Springfield, MO did.

luv
08-02-2012, 05:12 PM

There are so many, that I think the quality has waned a tad. However, he specified buffet. There are several Chinese restaurants that aren't buffets. And with buffets he wants to afford the overpriced ones like used to be on West Battlefield Rd.

luv
08-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Springfield 'Cashew Chicken' was supposedly first created here. Although I'm 1000% certain the Commy Chinese invented Chinese food and had cashew chicken before Springfield, MO did.

There was cashew chicken before Springfield's. Springfield was the first to serve it with breaded deep fried chicken and the gravy. Thus, Springfield Style Cashew Chicken versus just cashew chicken.

Baby Lee
08-02-2012, 05:15 PM

Commie Chinese looks and tastes nothing like Merkin Chinese.

evolve27
08-02-2012, 05:18 PM
There was cashew chicken before Springfield's. Springfield was the first to serve it with breaded deep fried chicken and the gravy. Thus, Springfield Style Cashew Chicken versus just cashew chicken.

Ah I see. Some old guy was trying to tell me a fable of how cashew chicken was invented there. Deep-fried(springfield style) vs regular chicken with cashew. But Luv don't you think it had to be made somewhere else beside Springfield?

Rain Man

I find Springfield's Chinese food to be very odd. It's like it's a mix of Americanized Chinese food and southern food. The cashew chicken seems to be in gravy or some such thing.

That's not to say it's bad, but it seems to be a style unique to Springfield.

I've kind of wondered if there's some relation to that and the big influx of Vietnamese refugees back in the 1970s. Entrepreneurial Vietnamese somehow mix Chinese/Vietnamese recipes with southern available ingredients to make a bizarre Sino-Ozarkian fusion.

evolve27
Commie Chinese looks and tastes nothing like Merkin Chinese.

ROFL

VAChief
08-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Yes, Leongs was the creator of the hybrid back in the late 50's or early 60's which really is closer to Cracker Barrel than authentic Chinese cuisine. He realized he would have to adapt to the rather limited pallet of the obesity belt. I loved the stuff growing up there, but luckily I moved away as a young adult before my any lasting arterial damage could take hold.

luv
08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Ah I see. Some old guy was trying to tell me a fable of how cashew chicken was invented there. Deep-fried(springfield style) vs regular chicken with cashew. But Luv don't you think it had to be made somewhere else beside Springfield?

Why?

evolve27
08-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Why?

Springfield, MO out of all places on earth. This isn't the Mecca of the world ya know. The Viet Cong didn't fight hard so some cashew chicken could be a Sino-Ozarkian fusion.

luv
Yes, Leongs was the creator of the hybrid back in the late 50's or early 60's which really is closer to Cracker Barrel than authentic Chinese cuisine. He realized he would have to adapt to the rather limited pallet of the obesity belt. I loved the stuff growing up there, but luckily I moved away as a young adult before my any lasting arterial damage could take hold.

This is Springfield. Surely it couldn't have been created here. [/sarcasm]

Saulbadguy

That sounds disgusting. It makes me want to vomit.

luv
08-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Springfield, MO out of all places on earth. This isn't the Mecca of the world ya know. The Viet Cong didn't fight hard so some cashew chicken could be a Sino-Ozarkian fusion.

You have something against Springfield? Not good enough for you?

evolve27
08-02-2012, 05:26 PM
You have something against Springfield? Not good enough for you?

Lol, it's a lovely city. I just live in Oklahoma now! Southern diet kill my gallbladder!!

Baby Lee
08-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Next you'll be arguing that we didn't fight the Civil War to help bring about deep fried Coca Cola.

Get real, man!!!

luv
08-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Lol, it's a lovely city. I just live in Oklahoma now! Southern diet kill my gallbladder!!

Well, I'm sorry you find it so difficult to believe that someone here could actually be innovative.

Dave Lane
08-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Holy shit why am I not surprised :)

Baby Lee
08-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Perhaps a little light buttfuckery to calm your bilious stomach?

Saulbadguy
08-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Topeka put grape nuts in vanilla custard/ice cream and called it brown bread. That's innovation.

evolve27
08-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Topeka put grape nuts in vanilla custard/ice cream and called it brown bread. That's innovation.

HAHAHA

Rain Man
08-02-2012, 05:32 PM

I think it's one of those things where you really like it if it's your first taste of "Chinese" food (not realizing that it's Sino-Ozarkian fusion).

I had it once or twice as a kid and remember liking it, and my sister went to college in Springfield and loves it. She speaks fondly of it and has to go get it on every visit. I like Chinese food, so I went with her on a visit or two to Springfield (our parents live there), and ... it's not my gig any more. I'm not into it.

Of course, the Chinese food I get in Denver is probably no closer to original Chinese than that stuff is. However, having had real Chinese food in Hong Kong, I don't want real Chinese food and like the Denver stuff.

Saulbadguy
08-02-2012, 05:32 PM
HAHAHA

Look, pal. I don't have time for your shit. Have you ever considered ritual suicide?

evolve27
08-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, I'm sorry you find it so difficult to believe that someone here could actually be innovative.

Not saying that. I hope the people of your own Springfield continue to innovate and pioneer some great food and God bless the buffet lines with people eating the authentic Springfield cashew chicken.

evolve27
08-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Look, pal. I don't have time for your shit. Have you ever considered ritual suicide?

I've moved to pal status. Why thank you.

Saulbadguy
08-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I've moved to pal status. Why thank you.

Well, ok. Thanks for the update.

O.city
08-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Used to dominate Hong Kong Inn on west battlefield when I went to college in SPFGD.

Best buffet was actually closed a few years ago, Silk Road Buffet.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Luong's. Ran by the sons of the man who invented Springfield cashew chicken. Great food. Only good Chinese I've had in Spring town.

Demonpenz
08-02-2012, 08:45 PM
i fucking love wearing cargo shorts and going to springfield.