PDA

View Full Version : Books Peter Boyles - Paul Gallender's new book "The real story behind the Ali/Liston fights

Chiefshrink
08-04-2012, 03:31 PM
and the real story behind the "phantom punch" in the 2nd Ali/Liston fight in Lewiston, ME. Makes sense why Sonny threw the fight hitting the canvas in the 1st rd. For those of you interested in sports history and especially boxing this is an awesome interview with many other boxing stories that all tie in.:thumb:

Part 1
http://www.khow.com/player/?station=KHOW-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=fullshow_boyles.xml&mid=22318886

Part 2
http://www.khow.com/player/?mid=22318902&station=KHOW-AM&program_id=fullshow_boyles.xml&program_name=podcast

J Diddy
08-04-2012, 03:35 PM
You are one conspiracy theory loving fellow, however, this does look interesting. I think I'll check it out later.

Chiefshrink
08-04-2012, 04:09 PM
You are one conspiracy theory loving fellow, however, this does look interesting. I think I'll check it out later.

Nah, like many we all love the truth:thumb:

whoman69
08-04-2012, 07:43 PM
No phantom punch. Liston runs into a a right cross, goes down with Ali missing on a follow up left jab.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs7/2659020_o.gif

stonedstooge
08-04-2012, 07:47 PM

Summation? My computer takes forever to download

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2012, 07:51 PM
There was no "Phantom" punch.

That Denver nutbag is just that: A fucking nutbag.

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2012, 07:52 PM

No, you don't. You don't like the truth, AT ALL.

Chiefshrink
08-04-2012, 08:29 PM
No phantom punch. Liston runs into a a right cross, goes down with Ali missing on a follow up left jab.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs7/2659020_o.gif

Seriously look at that so-called right cross you talk about. That right barely touched him if not just tapped him. And when you look at his behavior after getting hit his legs are bent while lying on the ground. When you get "lit up" and dropped your legs go dead. Liston's legs never go dead and he is literally looking up at Ali with his legs bent moving around as though he knows what he is doing when you see the whole clip in its entirety.

Chiefshrink
08-04-2012, 08:30 PM
No, you don't. You don't like the truth, AT ALL.

Back to the ol Dane I see:hmmm:

stonedstooge
08-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Many times that punch that just catches the tip of the chin does the most damage. Ali was always so quick and strong it was certainly within his abilities

BigRedChief
08-04-2012, 08:36 PM
There was no "Phantom" punch.

That Denver nutbag is just that: A fucking nutbag.No fucking shit. Ali in his prime was one of the best boxers evah. An old Liston who took the loudmouth punk lightly had no chance. No fucking way Liston threw the fight.

And yes, the moon landing was also not fake.

tk13
08-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Let's send you back in a time machine to take a punch to the face from Ali and see how you feel about it then.

Chiefshrink
08-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Summation? My computer takes forever to download

Everyone thought Liston threw that fight because the MOB had so-called ties to Liston which seemed plausible at the time but those ties were never really confirmed. However, that wasn't why he threw it. This author discovered that Liston found out several hours right before the fight that the Muslim faction that Ali belonged to and also killed Malcom X had just kidnapped his son and told him if you don't go down and Ali to keep his belt then you will never see your son.

stonedstooge
08-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Everyone thought Liston threw that fight because the MOB had so-called ties to Liston which seemed plausible at the time but those ties were never really confirmed. However, that wasn't why he threw it. This author discovered that Liston found out several hours right before the fight that the Muslim faction that Ali belonged to and also killed Malcom X had just kidnapped his son and told him if you don't go down and Ali to keep his belt then you will never see your son.

Thanks. I remember the arguments that went on for years and years concerning the fight and finally reached my conclusion when Liston was shown in his corner after he got up. His glassy eyes helped me reach my decision

Chiefshrink
08-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Many times that punch that just catches the tip of the chin does the most damage. Ali was always so quick and strong it was certainly within his abilities

I totally agree and you are right on in most boxing circumstances BUT Liston was different when you look at his MO(modus operandi) how he was so damn tough and how he fought. Listen to both segments of the interview as the auther describes Liston. Liston was the only fighter Ali really truly feared and even his own Muslim faction feared that with Liston getting a 2nd chance at him when Liston took him lightly the first time would win the 2nd fight because Liston was in tip top shape and would not take him lightly for this 2nd fight and still could take anyone's punch.

Jenson71
08-04-2012, 08:51 PM

So instead of postponing the fight to look for his child, he learns his kid is kidnapped, and then he lays on the ground? And can't he just forfeit to allow Ali to keep his belt?

And what's the proof that his kid was kidnapped? Does the son remember being kidnapped? Are there telephone calls? Testimonies? Or do you actually have no evidence that his kid was kidnapped?

Sorter
08-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Seriously look at that so-called right cross you talk about. That right barely touched him if not just tapped him. And when you look at his behavior after getting hit his legs are bent while lying on the ground. When you get "lit up" and dropped your legs go dead. Liston's legs never go dead and he is literally looking up at Ali with his legs bent moving around as though he knows what he is doing when you see the whole clip in its entirety.

http://gifsoup.com/view7/2952093/silva-ko-s-griffin-o.gif

BigRedChief
08-04-2012, 09:05 PM
http://gifsoup.com/view7/2952093/silva-ko-s-griffin-o.gifHoly Batman, you uncovered another fixed fight. Great job! :thumb:

Chiefshrink
08-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Holy Batman, you uncovered another fixed fight. Great job! :thumb:

Like I said, in most boxing circumstances you are right on:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Back to the ol Dane I see:hmmm:

No, you're just a fucking moron.

VAChief
08-04-2012, 09:58 PM

No, most assume the principles of Occam's Razor and don't chase fairy tales.

Chiefshrink
08-04-2012, 10:18 PM
No, you're just a ****ing moron.

and you are still a "used tampon":thumb:

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2012, 11:33 PM
and you are still a "used tampon":thumb:

You are the fucking biggest fucking moron to ever grace Chiefsplanet. Period.

You "pretend" that you're a psychologist, yet you're constantly spewing these conspiracy theories that hold less weight than the shit I took 5 minutes ago. In all honesty, you are THE most pathetic fucking Chiefsplanet member in history because you take yourself seriously (when everyone else laughs their ass off at your stupid shit).

I've been following boxing since I was 5 years old. I know more about the sport of boxing the than the other 10,000 members of Chiefsplanet COMBINED (although Hamas is a close second). I've read every book about Cassius Clay and Muhammed Ali, I've read everything about Sonny Liston and virtually every biography, memoir, quote, magazine article, etc. about everyone from John L. Sullivan to Jack Sharkey to Max Baer to Ingemar Johansson, to Floyd Patterson and of course, Rocky Marciano and Joe Lewis.

I've read about Jess Willard training to facing Jack Johnson to Johnson throwing the title in Cuba to get "home".

The bottom line is that there is pretty much zero that I don't know about heavyweight fighters and their fights, positives, negatives, punching power, attributes, negatives, etc.

If you think you can pull the wool over the fucking noob asses around here, more power to you. But I will FUCK YOUR SHIT UP if your stupid, retarded fucking imbecile ass thinks you'll get the better of me when it comes to boxing.

You fucking cunt. Oh, and if you're truly a psychiatrist with a license, PROOVE IT. Until then, shut your motherfucking stupid mouth.

Lumpy
08-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Yep... Dane is back. ROFL

Gonzo
08-05-2012, 12:16 AM

You "pretend" that you're a psychologist, yet you're constantly spewing these conspiracy theories that hold less weight than the shit I took 5 minutes ago. In all honesty, you are THE most pathetic fucking Chiefsplanet member in history because you take yourself seriously (when everyone else laughs their ass off at your stupid shit).

I've been following boxing since I was 5 years old. I know more about the sport of boxing the than the other 10,000 members of Chiefsplanet COMBINED (although Hamas is a close second). I've read every book about Cassius Clay and Muhammed Ali, I've read everything about Sonny Liston and virtually every biography, memoir, quote, magazine article, etc. about everyone from John L. Sullivan to Jack Sharkey to Max Baer to Ingemar Johansson, to Floyd Patterson and of course, Rocky Marciano and Joe Lewis.

I've read about Jess Willard training to facing Jack Johnson to Johnson throwing the title in Cuba to get "home".

The bottom line is that there is pretty much zero that I don't know about heavyweight fighters and their fights, positives, negatives, punching power, attributes, negatives, etc.

If you think you can pull the wool over the fucking noob asses around here, more power to you. But I will FUCK YOUR SHIT UP if your stupid, retarded fucking imbecile ass thinks you'll get the better of me when it comes to boxing.

You fucking cunt. Oh, and if you're truly a psychiatrist with a license, PROOVE IT. Until then, shut your motherfucking stupid mouth.
Oh shit, a differing opinion or someone Dane doesn't like/agree with.
We instantly revert back to the name-calling bullshit.

Welcome back I guess.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2012, 12:27 AM

Welcome back I guess.

It's not an opinion.

Muhammed Ali is the greatest heavyweight fighter of all time. I think you'll find very few boxing historians that disagree, although Joe Louis is a close second.

To question this man's ability and that fight, 50 years later, is absolutely insane. There are records of journalists at ring side that saw the punch that knocked out Liston, who've said it was the single, greatest punch, ever. It's clearly seen in the fight footage as well.

It's just more racist bullshit from a fucking moron who should have had his dick pulled out his ass years ago. If he wants to go to toe-to-toe with me, fucking bring it on.

PS - Thanks for your input and insight, "Gonzo".

Bowser
08-05-2012, 12:27 AM

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/74193_o.gif

Gonzo
08-05-2012, 12:41 AM
It's not an opinion.

Muhammed Ali is the greatest heavyweight fighter of all time. I think you'll find very few boxing historians that disagree, although Joe Louis is a close second.

To question this man's ability and that fight, 50 years later, is absolutely insane. There are records of journalists at ring side that saw the punch that knocked out Liston, who've said it was the single, greatest punch, ever. It's clearly seen in the fight footage as well.

It's just more racist bullshit from a fucking moron who should have had his dick pulled out his ass years ago. If he wants to go to toe-to-toe with me, fucking bring it on.

PS - Thanks for your input and insight, "Gonzo".
You're obviously an expert on the subject without a doubt, sir.

I suppose my question to you would be, can you get your point across without calling the other party in said discussion one of the following colorful words:

Cunt
Mothefucker
Cocksucker
Fuck Face
Cock-fucking cunt face
Fucking cock loving cunt
Cunt fucking cock lover
Cunting fuck loving cock fuck
Fucker fuck fucking fuck fuck
Etc.

If you have Tourette's, then we're cool man. Just present the doctors note.

SPchief
08-05-2012, 12:47 AM

Welcome back I guess.

Don't forget that he knows more about this than ANYONE on the planet.

SPchief
08-05-2012, 12:50 AM
I suppose my question to you would be, can you get your point across without calling the other party in said discussion one of the following colorful words:

Now to defend Dane, It's what he does. Is it bannable if he doesn't provide a note?

Chiefshrink
08-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Welcome back I guess.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/74193_o.gif

Mothe****er
one who sucks the penis
**** Face
Cock-****ing **** face
****ing cock loving ****
**** ****ing cock lover
****ing **** loving cock ****
****er **** ****ing **** ****
Etc.

Now to defend Dane, It's what he does. Is it bannable if he doesn't provide a note?

He was gone for awhile and my guess it was a suggestion from his therapist to get a life and deal with his extreme rage:D or he just couldn't pay his bill for a time. But I have to give Dane props though he did give me a positive rep on this thread. He must have listened to both segments and finally came around. :D But as most of you have noticed Dane fell off the wagon and good ol Dane is back.

He definitely is off his meds for sure;)

In58men
08-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Don't we already have a book thread? There goes the bandwidth.

Back to WPI

VAChief
08-05-2012, 11:39 AM
He was gone for awhile and my guess it was a suggestion from his therapist to get a life and deal with his extreme rage:D or he just couldn't pay his bill for a time. But I have to give Dane props though he did give me a positive rep on this thread. He must have listened to both segments and finally came around. :D But as most of you have noticed Dane fell off the wagon and good ol Dane is back.

He definitely is off his meds for sure;)

While his manner was deplorable, he is correct. Even in your Divinity School counseling training I would guess you had at least a cursory discussion of Delusional Personality Disorders, but if not a quick refresher for self reflection.

The following features are found:
It is a primary disorder.
It is a stable disorder characterized by the presence of delusions to which the patient clings with extraordinary tenacity.
The illness is chronic and frequently lifelong.
The delusions are logically constructed and internally consistent.
The delusions do not interfere with general logical reasoning (although within the delusional system the logic is perverted) and there is usually no general disturbance of behavior. If disturbed behavior does occur, it is directly related to the delusional beliefs.
The individual experiences a heightened sense of self-reference. Events which, to others, are nonsignificant are of enormous significance to him or her, and the atmosphere surrounding the delusions is highly charged.

BigRedChief
08-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Cunt
Mothefucker
Cocksucker
Fuck Face
Cock-fucking cunt face
Fucking cock loving cunt
Cunt fucking cock lover
Etc.

If you have Tourette's, then we're cool man. Just present the doctors note.So since when is it policeable that one poster makes a point with colorful metaphors. Are not these words blocked by default?

WilliamTheIrish
08-05-2012, 12:03 PM
You ****ing ****. Oh, and if you're truly a psychiatrist with a license, PROOVE IT. Until then, shut your mother****ing stupid mouth.

I will need to have that certificate examined by multiple agencies to assess it's actually valid. And please produce the folks you went to school with as well as your (mental) health history.

Wait, I don't want to crush the server with that last request.

Chiefspants
08-05-2012, 12:06 PM
You are the ****ing biggest ****ing moron to ever grace Chiefsplanet. Period.

You "pretend" that you're a psychologist, yet you're constantly spewing these conspiracy theories that hold less weight than the shit I took 5 minutes ago. In all honesty, you are THE most pathetic ****ing Chiefsplanet member in history because you take yourself seriously (when everyone else laughs their ass off at your stupid shit).

If you think you can pull the wool over the ****ing noob asses around here, more power to you. But I will **** YOUR SHIT UP if your stupid, retarded ****ing imbecile ass thinks you'll get the better of me when it comes to boxing.

You ****ing ****. Oh, and if you're truly a psychiatrist with a license, PROOVE IT. Until then, shut your mother****ing stupid mouth.

Welcome back, Dane!

SAUTO
08-05-2012, 12:10 PM
So since when is it policeable that one poster makes a point with colorful metaphors. Are not these words blocked by default?

Time for a tampon change, methinks
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
08-05-2012, 02:06 PM
You are the ****ing biggest ****ing moron to ever grace Chiefsplanet. Period.

You "pretend" that you're a psychologist

And I'll bet its one of those Photoshops with layers and stuff to. Was he even born in this country? I want to see the Diploma and a Birth Certificate, fucking Nigerian piece of shit.

Dave Lane
08-05-2012, 02:20 PM
I found his degree he actually has one!

Bob Dole
08-05-2012, 02:42 PM
I've read every book about Cassius Clay and Muhammed Ali, I've read everything about Sonny Liston and virtually every biography, memoir, quote, magazine article, etc. about everyone from John L. Sullivan to Jack Sharkey to Max Baer to Ingemar Johansson, to Floyd Patterson and of course, Rocky Marciano and Joe Lewis.

Max was awesome in Beverly Hillbillies.

BigRedChief
08-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Max was awesome in Beverly Hillbillies.Only us old geezers are going to get the refrence. :thumb: But screw the young whipper snappers.......

mikey23545
08-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Well is there anything he doesn't know more about than anyone on Chiefsplanet?

mikey23545
08-05-2012, 04:40 PM
I will need to have that certificate examined by multiple agencies to assess it's actually valid. And please produce the folks you went to school with as well as your (mental) health history.

Wait, I don't want to crush the server with that last request.

He's had all those records sealed.

There isn't anything wrong with that, is there?

VAChief
08-05-2012, 10:16 PM
He's had all those records sealed.

There isn't anything wrong with that, is there?

You don't need the actual records to see he is a pseudo shrink.

http://www.denverseminary.edu/ma-counseling/

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2012, 11:38 PM

Cunt
Mothefucker
Cocksucker
Fuck Face
Cock-fucking cunt face
Fucking cock loving cunt
Cunt fucking cock lover
Etc.

Yeah, you're exactly right.

What I SHOULD have done is join Chiefsplanet and after no one noticed my stupid ass after 5,000 posts, create a "REP Game" in which me and all my other attention-whoring friends REP each other to the point where we have "Power" over other people and eventually, even become a "Mod". No sense in earning the old-fashioned way by, you know, actually being entertaining, insightful or even a fucking dickhead.

You, personally, are one of the main reasons this site fucking sucks these days. It's a fucking "lifestyle" site instead of being the Chiefs Football Site that was originally intended. But it's really cool that the REP system was completely disbanded and started from zero due to you and your game.

Back in the beginning, when shit got too crazy and off-topic, prior to your "Coming", the DC was created. When there weren't enough football topics on the front page, the Media Center was created. This site USED TO BE about football and the Chiefs. Now it's a site where people talk about "dating" and their "personal problems" and so forth. Look at the fucking front page in the middle of Training Camp!

This place has become MTV after they stopped showing videos or "Bewitched" with the second Darin or "Two & A Half Men" after Sheen quit or Motley Crue with John Corabi. It's like replacing James Gandolfini's Tony Soprano with Gilbert Gottfried.

But thanks, Gonzo, for your contribution. You're a real fucking mensch.

Lumpy
08-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Goddamn it. Here we go. :facepalm:

TimeForWasp
08-05-2012, 11:51 PM
While his manner was deplorable, he is correct. Even in your Divinity School counseling training I would guess you had at least a cursory discussion of Delusional Personality Disorders, but if not a quick refresher for self reflection.

The following features are found:
It is a primary disorder.
It is a stable disorder characterized by the presence of delusions to which the patient clings with extraordinary tenacity.
The illness is chronic and frequently lifelong.
The delusions are logically constructed and internally consistent.
The delusions do not interfere with general logical reasoning (although within the delusional system the logic is perverted) and there is usually no general disturbance of behavior. If disturbed behavior does occur, it is directly related to the delusional beliefs.
The individual experiences a heightened sense of self-reference. Events which, to others, are nonsignificant are of enormous significance to him or her, and the atmosphere surrounding the delusions is highly charged.

Them there words should be put in a country song, sung by Bocephus.

Gonzo
08-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah, you're exactly right.

What I SHOULD have done is join Chiefsplanet and after no one noticed my stupid ass after 5,000 posts, create a "REP Game" in which me and all my other attention-whoring friends REP each other to the point where we have "Power" over other people and eventually, even become a "Mod". No sense in earning the old-fashioned way by, you know, actually being entertaining, insightful or even a ****ing dickhead.

You, personally, are one of the main reasons this site ****ing sucks these days. It's a ****ing "lifestyle" site instead of being the Chiefs Football Site that was originally intended. But it's really cool that the REP system was completely disbanded and started from zero due to you and your game.

Back in the beginning, when shit got too crazy and off-topic, prior to your "Coming", the DC was created. When there weren't enough football topics on the front page, the Media Center was created. This site USED TO BE about football and the Chiefs. Now it's a site where people talk about "dating" and their "personal problems" and so forth. Look at the ****ing front page in the middle of Training Camp!

This place has become MTV after they stopped showing videos or "Bewitched" with the second Darin or "Two & A Half Men" after Sheen quit or Motley Crue with John Corabi. It's like replacing James Gandolfini's Tony Soprano with Gilbert Gottfried.

But thanks, Gonzo, for your contribution. You're a real ****ing mensch.

Ok, I didn't realize that I was the dowfall of Chiefs Planet, Dane... Little old me and some rep game that I apparently constructed over 10,000 posts ago. Man, I wish you wouldv'e told me.
I do post way too much personal stuff or off-topic stuff on here, your right:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223236

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223518

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=212987

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182175

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196499

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=189314

Personally, Dane I didn't really have a problem with you coming back. I thought it would lift morale for a little bit and maybe bring some other old timers back for a while. Butnow, I can see that won't happen since I have personally destroyed the site.

Oh and as far as me being a Mod, that was something that was given to me by the current staff. It was voted on, (unanimously). The owner of the site even had a say in it. It's just a shame that you were in the middle of "Leaving Forever" or you could havetold them that my 5 posts per day were ruining CP.

Ok, now that that's out, please call me whatever colorful and descriptive words you have prepared for me. Or smack me with your neg rep that you TOTALLY deserved and never earned from a rep game or some other unsanctioned activity.

Wecome back, we missed you?

Gonzo
08-06-2012, 12:17 AM
oh and another thing, if you think this place sucks so bad, why are you back?

Do you have a new famous neighbor that we need to know about?

EDIT:
I apologize there. That ws uncalled for.

BTW, I looked and looked and couldn't fnd any of these "Rep Games" threads in my history and as an "Undeserving Mod" I can really search. No dice...

Please link me to that rep game I created or even participated in that ended up being an Apocolyptic moment in CP history.

Micjones
08-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Thanks for posting this.

Sofa King
08-06-2012, 08:00 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/prxnGjKjxoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sofa King
08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Is it too early to nominate this thread for the HOF?

HemiEd
08-06-2012, 08:59 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/prxnGjKjxoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was back when fights were on the tube FREE!

My parents and I were watching that fight but I was too young to care much, but I wanted Liston to win because Cascious Clay was so boisterous.

Graystoke
08-06-2012, 09:10 AM

I hated that Second Darin, Fucker wrecked Chiefs Planet and we all fucking know it!

BTW. Ali was the Greatest...no conspiracy